• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holiday weekend and it was available for a week on streaming and all but Twin Peaks got a zero rating on Sunday. Link 195,000 viewers 0.04 demo.

Anyone still want to argue that this isn't a disaster for Showtime?

Looks like Sense8 is probably going to get cancelled
https://twitter.com/brianjacobsmith/status/869512198913007618

Not really surprised, the budget must be insane and it feels like there are just as many people who dislike the show as like it. I tried watching season 1 but just couldn't get past 3 or 4 episodes, and I know people keep telling me "it gets better!" but there are so many TV shows on now that its hard to watch a show that isn't good from the very beginning - I have like 40 TV shows on my netflix / amazon To Watch list that are all considered 10/10 from the very start.

Just thematically too a show about a few people who are special and the people who chase them isn't really that interesting to me compared to shows like Expanse, Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, etc that has a wider "space opera" feel. There is a big Dr. Who / Stargate / Star Trek / Star Wars crowd out there and I think Sense8 maybe aimed a little too small, thematically, to chase them. I thought Incorporated suffered the same problem.

Not really surprised, the budget must be insane and it feels like there are just as many people who dislike the show as like it. I tried watching season 1 but just couldn't get past 3 or 4 episodes, and I know people keep telling me "it gets better!" but there are so many TV shows on now that its hard to watch a show that isn't good from the very beginning - I have like 40 TV shows on my netflix / amazon To Watch list that are all considered 10/10 from the very start.

Just thematically too a show about a few people who are special and the people who chase them isn't really that interesting to me compared to shows like Expanse, Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, etc that has a wider "space opera" feel. There is a big Dr. Who / Stargate / Star Trek / Star Wars crowd out there and I think Sense8 maybe aimed a little too small, thematically, to chase them.

Okay that explains why that hashtag was there, but I never saw it trending so it must not be going good. Though it seemed it was more of a show with a very vocal and minor fanbase.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
There is a big Dr. Who / Stargate / Star Trek / Star Wars crowd out there and I think Sense8 maybe aimed a little too small, thematically, to chase them. I thought Incorporated suffered the same problem.

Represent. And Babylon 5, too, for a JMS-relevant matter. I'd like to see him take another crack at that one.

Slayven

Didnt realize Underground was that BIG that it would become a top trending thing in the USA on twitter tonight.

Like Scandal, and Sleepy Hollow before it shit the bad, it has a large and loyal fanbse

Not one that is often counted though

Black women

Focusing on cheap shit and reruns as a way of increasing relevance in Peak TV??

5Wvw6Th.gif

????

?????????????

So what are they doing?

Wow I didn't know the drama behind Underground. It's such an important series I really hope someone decides to pick it up. Season 2 left so much on the table.

- Quarry canceled by Cinemax
Series co-creator Michael D. Fuller via Deadline said:
And so, after a protracted and agonizing process, we have final confirmation that Quarry will not be returning to television, There were several factors that contributed to the show’s ultimate fate, but a regime change at HBO and a re-(re?)-branding at Cinemax were of particular significance; we attempted to find another home for the show but were unable to do so. By virtually every metric (ratings, critical response) the show succeeded in all the ways a show needs to for a second season, but, as the erstwhile Head Ball Coach of my beloved Gamecocks was fond of saying, “it is what it is”. TV’s tough and life is tougher, and like the titular character of the show, the series itself was ultimately the victim of a system that is relentlessly unforgiving.

Decado

Fuck (though expected). Cinemax has been very disappointing since wrapping up Strike Back and Banshee. Currently they don't have a single worthwhile show, AFAIK.

Schlep

Okay that explains why that hashtag was there, but I never saw it trending so it must not be going good. Though it seemed it was more of a show with a very vocal and minor fanbase.

Part of that fanbase. The show is very well done. I'm a bit surprised it's on the bubble as recent reports were that Netflix had finished or was about to finish signing the eight to new contracts. Also they've been pushing a lot of featurettes on YouTube.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fuck (though expected). Cinemax has been very disappointing since wrapping up Strike Back and Banshee. Currently they don't have a single worthwhile show, AFAIK.

Yeah, Cinemax still has Outcast but nobody cares about that show. Luckily I've had a couple months to brace myself for Quarry being killed off. I'm pretty sure I've seen Logan Marshall-Green attached to other projects, so I just assumed Quarry Season 2 was dead or a long ways off.

KonradLaw

Yeah, Cinemax still has Outcast but nobody cares about that show. Luckily I've had a couple months to brace myself for Quarry being killed off. I'm pretty sure I've seen Logan Marshall-Green attached to other projects, so I just assumed Quarry Season 2 was dead or a long ways off.

Yeah, and even Outcast is airing on some british TV first.
Shame. for a while Cinemax was really going places, but it all collapsed. I was hoping somehow they would give Quarry another season, especially since it's short order made it likely Logan could be able to squeeze it in between other work.

They could have at least return to make those erotic anthology shows :D

EDIT: Rights to John Rain return to writer in July if there's no pilot till then and there hasn't been word about it, so that project is dead too :( Fuck Cinemax :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
https://twitter.com/brianjacobsmith/...12198913007618

Just thematically too a show about a few people who are special and the people who chase them isn't really that interesting to me compared to shows like Expanse, Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, etc that has a wider "space opera" feel. There is a big Dr. Who / Stargate / Star Trek / Star Wars crowd out there and I think Sense8 maybe aimed a little too small, thematically, to chase them. I thought Incorporated suffered the same problem.

It's an X-men show that took too long to get to the X-men part. I know Netflix will just bury a show entirely if it's not doing anything for them (Marco Polo), but if nothing else, I hope they just let them make a movie or something to end it.

(Compared to the other shows you mention though, at least with Sense8 I don't see the Toronto warehouse they film on. lol)

I'll mourn Quarry, Underground and Sense8. But still rejoice that it seems like PeakTV is ending. Because I'm sure there will still be way too much good television and not enough hours in the day.

Saty

Will i be banned posting the blown-out baby parts scene from S1?

By virtually every metric (ratings, critical response) the show succeeded in all the ways a show needs to for a second season

Apart from the most important metric: being a throwaway show. Because those are the shows gazillion networks and streaming services are fumbling to save left and right. Quarry not getting a second season is a failure of the system and a mark on this 'peak tv' era where every two-bit operation is investing in TV content.

Yeah, and even Outcast is airing on some british TV first.
Shame. for a while Cinemax was really going places, but it all collapsed. I was hoping somehow they would give Quarry another season, especially since it's short order made it likely Logan could be able to squeeze it in between other work.

They could have at least return to make those erotic anthology shows :D

EDIT: Rights to John Rain return to writer in July if there's no pilot till then and there hasn't been word about it, so that project is dead too :( Fuck Cinemax :(

Outcast S2 has been airing since April almost everywhere except the USA, not just in the UK.

Quarry was decent (I'd gladly watch a second season) but I can't say I'll really miss it. There is plenty of other stuff to watch and I'm glad to see the wheels starting to come off peak TV a bit.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm still surprised that some of these Cinemax shows aren't just getting moved to HBO, especially with how these channels are being consolidated into "platforms" that can be sold piecemeal​ over the internet.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Outcast S2 has been airing since April almost everywhere except the USA, not just in the UK.

What's the deal with that anyway? It's not like Cinemax has a large selection of shows they have to juggle. Heck, they don't even have enough stuff to stagger originals across the year like HBO. Please tell me they're not holding it until October in the US or something goofy like that.

What's the deal with that anyway? It's not like Cinemax has a large selection of shows they have to juggle. Heck, they don't even have enough stuff to stagger originals across the year like HBO. Please tell me they're not holding it until October in the US or something goofy like that.
Fox holds the international rights. Don't know why Cinemax is holding up the show in the US.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I haven't had time to watch S2 yet, but this would be super lame. Give them a final season at least.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So what are they doing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still surprised that some of these Cinemax shows aren't just getting moved to HBO, especially with how these channels are being consolidated into "platforms" that can be sold piecemeal​ over the internet.

It's utterly baffling that they didn't move The Knick or Quarry over to HBO. Both were cheap by HBO standards and critics liked them.

Eh, there was similar rhetoric from fans and twitter campaign urging from the cast after season 1 ended. I know Netflix isn't fully following the "complete series" model anymore after abruptly canceling Marco Polo, but given Sense8's passionate fanbase, I'd be surprised if they cancelled it without giving it a proper ending.

Busty

Banned
Holiday weekend and it was available for a week on streaming and all but Twin Peaks got a zero rating on Sunday. Link 195,000 viewers 0.04 demo.

Anyone still want to argue that this isn't a disaster for Showtime?

Holy shit!

That's..., wow. Showtime really need that Jim Carrey stand up drama to work for them given that their last two efforts are cratering.

Busty

Banned
Not to mention that they ended both Penny Dreadful and Masters of Sex prematurely...

Showtime has always struck me as a channel that's sort of stuck in gear, they seem to rely heavily on ageing shows like Homeland, Shameless and even my beloved Ray Donovan more than taking a chance like HBO or even Starz would.

I suppose Guerilla was a chance (that backfired) and Billions and The Affair are both hits but, to me, Showtime has always firmly been in HBO's shade and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I still haven't gotten around to the Christmas special let alone the show's second season, too many distractions and even with shows ending, too many entertainment distractions.

Zero315

Banned
I'm not surprised about what's going on over at Cinemax. Like I've complained about in the past they don't make it easy to watch their shows. The only app they have is for phones.

Grizzlyjin

I know we're in summer mode, but we need to talk about how Star-Crossed only got a 0.5 even though it had The Bachelorette as a lead in.

Fast-Demo-2017-May-29.MON_.png

I got the episode sitting here...haven't bothered to watch it yet though.

xrnzaaas

Not a good rating for a season premiere of Whose Line. I wonder how long they'll continue it. Obviously it's not an expensive as scripted shows, but the main stars still have to get their paychecks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Carmichael Show is back and it's still kind of strange because of how throwbacky it is. 30 seconds into this first episode, they just start talking about rape and the entire episode is the family talking about proper consent. I don't think they are worried about story at all. lol

vypek

I thought I'd have a new show to watch with The F Word on Fox last night but looks like MasterChef is my only Gordon Ramsay show this summer.

I was extra annoyed by the show pimping out other shows that will be on the Fox network. ugh.

LOL so im watching Expedition Unknown on Travel Channel and suddenly they are promoting Destination Truth's return(via reruns of a SYFY show that ended in 2012)

Man if that leads to new episodes i'd be so damn happy.

Slayven

LOL so im watching Expedition Unknown on Travel Channel and suddenly they are promoting Destination Truth's return(via reruns of a SYFY show that ended in 2012)

Man if that leads to new episodes i'd be so damn happy.

I thought my guide was broken. But hey Josh Gates is awesome, so i am not complaining

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I know we're in summer mode, but we need to talk about how Star-Crossed only got a 0.5 even though it had The Bachelorette as a lead in.

The ABC exodus has become a real, reoccurring thing. Geez.

Busty

Banned

By the way, Gotham adjusted up to a 1.0 in final ratings..., again. It's my understanding that a new episode of Gotham has yet to dip below the 1.0 threshold.

Just sayin.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
How do the hockey ratings compare to previous years?

Don't know about last night, but Game 1 did really well: Preds-Pens Opens With Third-Best Game 1 Audience Since ’99

Sports Media Watch said:
Monday’s Predators-Penguins Stanley Cup Final Game 1 earned a 2.8 rating and 5.0 million viewers, per Nielsen fast-nationals — up 22% in ratings and viewership from Sharks-Penguins opposite an NBA Game 7 last year (2.3, 4.1M) but down 15% and 10% respectively from Blackhawks-Lightning in 2015 (3.3, 5.5M).

berzeli

Banned
Netflix CEO Thinks They Should Be Canceling More TV Shows
While Netflix has heretofore been known for almost always renewing series for at least two seasons — the recent axing of The Get Down was the outlier — Hastings told CNBC on Wednesday that he thinks the service has had too many successful series of late. “Our hit ratio is way too high right now,” Hastings said. “So, we’ve canceled very few shows … I’m always pushing the content team: We have to take more risk; you have to try more crazy things. Because we should have a higher cancel rate overall.” It’s not that Hastings wants Netflix to purposely make shows that are unsuccessful, though. His logic: By taking big swings, “you get some winners that are just unbelievable winners, like 13 Reasons Why. It surprised us. It’s a great show, but we didn’t realize just how it would catch on.”
And in a bit of a surprise, Hastings offered a hint about how Netflix now determines success or failure. “You can tell when we cancel a show,” he said, essentially admitting that how many people watch a Netflix series is part of the formula the streamer uses to determine renewals. While Netflix has previously suggested that keeping and increasing subscriber counts were its most important metrics, Hastings on Wednesday seemed to say eyeballs mattered. “It’s a mix [of viewing and subscriber growth],” he said. “Mostly, it is how many people watch. But those are very connected.”
So about that Sense8 discussion...

TheChaos

Looks like Sense8 is cancelled for good:

https://tvshowpatrol.com/news/sense8-canceled-netflix-exclusive/

he Netflix sci-fi series Sense8 is ending after two seasons, the streaming service confirms today in a statement first released to TV Show Patrol.

“After 23 episodes, 16 cities and 13 countries, the story of the Sense8 cluster is coming to an end,” Cindy Holland, VP Netflix original content, said in the statement. “It is everything we and the fans dreamed it would be: bold, emotional, stunning, kick ass, and outright unforgettable.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Did Stump watch enough of Sense8 for a deep cut title change or are we gonna have to go for Sense8less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom