• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there goes the "Netflix gives everything at least a ending season" feel good story, after Marco and now Sense 8

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Screw you, Netflix. They're settling in for bland mediocrity and anything that happens to hit big, nothing in-between.

TDLink

Pretty bummed about Sense8 being cancelled. Really unique show and the second season felt like it finally found its groove. Plus with the cliffhanger...vicious.

I wonder if they will ever cancel House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, its petty but I really don't like either show and somehow feel that if both stopped it would give more headroom for better shows on Netflix. Although I think Stranger Things and 13 Reasons is going to open up a whole lot new genres and audiences for them.

I do hope JMS had a great relationship with Netflix and works on something new with them, I'd love a 2017 Bablyon-5 type of idea from him with a fully contained 4-5 season story, just something a bit more accessible than Sense8.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wonder if they will ever cancel House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, its petty but I really don't like either show and somehow feel that if both stopped it would give more headroom for better shows on Netflix. Although I think Stranger Things and 13 Reasons is going to open up a whole lot new genres and audiences for them.

I do hope JMS had a great relationship with Netflix and works on something new with them, I'd love a 2017 Bablyon-5 type of idea from him with a fully contained 4-5 season story, just something a bit more accessible than Sense8.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Orange is the New Black ends up being 10 seasons, or really close to that. Kohan's 'Weeds' went on for 8 seasons. They're using the same sets every year, and characters can be added and removed by virtue of the premise. Piper was the focus early on, but it's definitely more of an ensemble now.

I want more shows like Anne with an E. Things that don't feel like they were specifically written to be binge watched.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Like, I love that Netflix is swinging for the fences with shit like the Dark Crystal series and The Witcher, but they need to actually focus on nurturing their current shows instead of continually ordering a million new ones everyday.

I don't expect them to keep every show going forever, especially if they don't seem to be resonating with their subscriber base, but making sure every show gets a conclusion seems like the only logical model for a content hub like Netflix where people are constantly discovering older shows.

People seek out complete stories (when it comes to serialized shows), and I bet a not insignificant amount of people will avoid Marco Polo and Sense8 in the future, knowing that both shows ended on massive cliffhangers. It doesn't make sense that they'd devalue their own stuff like this.

cDNA

They can waste a lot of money in a 2 hours bonus Christmas special but can not agree in filming a conclusion to Sense8. Good priorities.

kiguel182

I still haven't finished second season but man I love the show. I assume the ending does not give total closure.

What a bummer. Definetly my favorite Netflix show besides House of Cards

Schlep

Can't believe they didn't at least give them a movie or special to close out Sense8. I usually don't care much about cancellations, but this one pisses me off.

Lol fuck this guy

He shouldn't be cancelling shows that under perform? Sense8 had an insane budget, if the viewers aren't there, hes making the right calls on cancelling these shows. Lot of people were pretty amazed at how liberally Netflix was tossing around money, it wasn't going to last.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The thing that's so frustrating and disappointing about Sense8's cancellation is that it was wholly unique - sure there are a lot of other shows to watch in #PeakTV, but nothing even remotely close to Sense8. Nothing will fill that hole.

He shouldn't be cancelling shows that under perform? Sense8 had an insane budget, if the viewers aren't there, hes making the right calls on cancelling these shows. Lot of people were pretty amazed at how liberally Netflix was tossing around money, it wasn't going to last.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238836159&postcount=9414

berzeli

Banned
The thing that's so frustrating and disappointing about Sense8's cancellation is that it was wholly unique - sure there are a lot of other shows to watch in #PeakTV, but nothing even remotely close to Sense8. Nothing will fill that hole.
Is that a joke about the orgies?

berzeli

Banned
I thought I remembered that Vulture had called it:
Why Bloodline’s Cancellation Hints at a New Phase for Netflix
Don’t be surprised if a couple other Netflix originals end their runs prematurely over the next six months.

As did Ratsky (earning that Hunky Nostradamus tag):
I wouldn't be surprised if they ended Marco Polo, Sense8, and The Get Down sooner rather than later - they're all super expensive, have had a mixed-to-negative critical reception, and barely vocal fanbases.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought I remembered that Vulture had called it:

As did Ratsky (earning that Hunky Nostradamus tag):
That article misses the one major factor that led to Bloodline's cancellation (alongside an order for one more season to end it): Florida decided to end its tax credits significantly changing the cost of the show. That was what ultimately did it in.

Chitown B

Holiday weekend and it was available for a week on streaming and all but Twin Peaks got a zero rating on Sunday. Link 195,000 viewers 0.04 demo.

Anyone still want to argue that this isn't a disaster for Showtime?

are you really going to be that intellectually dishonest? The first 4 eps were up on streaming 4/21. Every Showtime member already watched them before 4/28. Moving forward it'll be weekly, one ep.

One would think Netflix would at least want to end their own productions with a proper ending since IDK how many people are interested in watching something if they know it ends without closure.

xrnzaaas

Netflix starting to cancel their shows was bound to happen. They were throwing money left and right and renewing everything (remember that House of Cards was planned to have 2 seasons?), but now they got too many of them and they got burned with the more expensive ones. But yeah, I also think that since they don't operate in the same way as traditional tv networks they should have plans in place to give fans of each show a closure if it has to end prematurely.

Chris1

Like, I love that Netflix is swinging for the fences with shit like the Dark Crystal series and The Witcher, but they need to actually focus on nurturing their current shows instead of continually ordering a million new ones everyday.

I don't expect them to keep every show going forever, especially if they don't seem to be resonating with their subscriber base, but making sure every show gets a conclusion seems like the only logical model for a content hub like Netflix where people are constantly discovering older shows.

People seek out complete stories (when it comes to serialized shows), and I bet a not insignificant amount of people will avoid Marco Polo and Sense8 in the future, knowing that both shows ended on massive cliffhangers. It doesn't make sense that they'd devalue their own stuff like this.
Yeah I haven't seen season 2 yet but hearing it ends on a cliffhanger makes me not want to watch at all.

Given Netflix's model you would think they would give them an extra episode or 2 to the or everything up. It's not like they need to go and order another full season

If they want to save money they could start by cutting the marvel shows down to 8 episodes each

TheOddOne

- Maureen Ryan over at Variety: A Troubling Trend in Cancellations: Are Inclusive Shows in Danger?
Having written about these issues for a very long time, here are a couple of truths I learned the hard way: Hollywood is way too quick to pat itself on the back for the smallest and most overdue steps forward when it comes to diversity, inclusion and representation — and the industry is far, far too quick to let the backsliding begin. And when that backsliding does begin (as it has many times in the past), many who mouth easy platitudes — instead of doing the real work of increasing the diversity of the industry — very easily and even reflexively turn a blind eye to the return to the status quo. (If that status quo was ever even seriously challenged — and at too many networks and studios, it is not. Still.)

berzeli

Banned

I don't necessarily think she's wrong as such. But nor do I think she's right.

The continued existence of OITNB, Empire, Insecure, The Fosters, etc. makes a fairly compelling case that exclusivity isn't the deciding factor for whether or not a show gets cancelled.
Making a case that there is a trend with not much data to back it up is wobbly at best, and one of the shows she uses as an example (East Los High) ran for 4 seasons and got a movie finale to finish its storylines. Not exactly a compelling data point.

The fall lineup from traditional broadcast networks is admittedly fairly anaemic (and not just in melanin), but I do think it is a bit early to call it a trend.

Now that Netflix has started cancelling show, I fear for Marvel's Iron Fist, welp.
I fear for it too. I fear we will be getting more episodes of it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Netflix starting to cancel their shows was bound to happen. They were throwing money left and right and renewing everything (remember that House of Cards was planned to have 2 seasons?), but now they got too many of them and they got burned with the more expensive ones. But yeah, I also think that since they don't operate in the same way as traditional tv networks they should have plans in place to give fans of each show a closure if it has to end prematurely.
Yeah, I have always thought that getting into the own content business was the right move by Netflix as it allows them to expand their range of content without being beholden to the content providers. But shows that end on major cliffhangers are next to useless for this. Even a one off special that just ties a bow on it it would seem to make financial sense. They have so many shows on the service that became cult hits after a truncated wrap up final season, that it seems strange that they don't get this.

are you really going to be that intellectually dishonest? The first 4 eps were up on streaming 4/21. Every Showtime member already watched them before 4/28. Moving forward it'll be weekly, one ep.

Lol. I mentioned in the comment you quoted that it was up for a week before it aired. But let's get real here for a minute. Showtime frequently puts up season premieres or episodes that are going to air on holiday weekends online/on demand a week early and yet when they air the live numbers are nowhere near as bad as Twin Peaks 3&4. They've even aired shows where every single episode for a season was up on demand a week early and the live ratings weren't as bad as the laughable numbers Twin Peaks pulled last Sunday.

So what does this mean? Occam's Razor says to me it's a flop and I'm not sure how anyone can really argue otherwise. Showtime is probably horrified that they have 13 more weeks of this to air.

Bluth54

Lol. I mentioned in the comment you quoted that it was up for a week before it aired. But let's get real here for a minute. Showtime frequently puts up season premieres or episodes that are going to air on holiday weekends online/on demand a week early and yet when they air the live numbers are nowhere near as bad as Twin Peaks 3&4. They've even aired shows where every single episode for a season was up on demand a week early and the live ratings weren't as bad as the laughable numbers Twin Peaks pulled last Sunday.

So what does this mean? Occam's Razor says to me it's a flop and I'm not sure how anyone can really argue otherwise. Showtime is probably horrified that they have 13 more weeks of this to air.

It's sure going to be interesting to see the ratings for the episodes they didn't put up early on their app.

Chitown B

do you read?

http://www.avclub.com/article/twin-peaks-came-through-streaming-numbers-expected-255990

"Twin Peaks has been extremely good for the network's streaming services; Showtime has seen its biggest uptick in subscriptions to Showtime Anytime and Showtime On Demand ever. "

Oh yeah. Horrified.......

Chitown B

It wasn't.

It didn't.

(It was also very expensive)

I knew 4-5 people who watched it and I'd never seen it. And I watch a SHITLOAD of TV. Meaning it was so popular that people that don't even watch that many shows had seen it.

seems like they could have tried to cut costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom