• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lady Dynamite was already renewed for season 2, right? I haven't heard a peep about that show.

yes, thank god.

oh Saul is renewed? thats gonna end up being as long as BB at this point heh. I still have only watched S1, and its even one of those "weekly eps 1 day after US" things too so no real excuse :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Family Law is back on SBS Australia and it's kind of funny looking at it now after all the ABC family shows. It's really FOB x The Real O'Neals, except the main character is just discovering his sexuality rather in full blown out and camp mode. The younger cast members also got hit with the puberty stick too. lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't follow Netflix's Marvel fare and I realize Iron Fist wasn't very well-regarded but is there really a chance it doesn't get a second season? Somehow that still surprises me.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't follow Netflix's Marvel fare and I realize Iron Fist wasn't very well-regarded but is there really a chance it doesn't get a second season? Somehow that still surprises me.

I think it depends on the viewership, which we'll unfortunately not know. My total guess is that it won't get a second season, and Iron Fist will instead pop up in the other Marvel shows as a secondary character or even a second lead, depending on the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't imagine the "shared universe" thing would have any integrity if they decided to cancel Iron Fish, especially since it also ended on a cliffhanger.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Reviews aside, it all depends on viewership. Even Adam Sandler's Ridiclous Six was celebrated as a success even though it has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. If enough people watched it, then it should get a second season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
F2AJJpe.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, I have always thought that getting into the own content business was the right move by Netflix as it allows them to expand their range of content without being beholden to the content providers. But shows that end on major cliffhangers are next to useless for this. Even a one off special that just ties a bow on it it would seem to make financial sense. They have so many shows on the service that became cult hits after a truncated wrap up final season, that it seems strange that they don't get this.
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread.
I'm pretty sure that Netflix is making the right choice here, even if just from a financial perspective.

Netflix shows that are still awaiting word on renewal, per Wikipedia:

House of Cards (foregone conclusion, but not official yet)
Iron Fist
Flaked (lol)
MST3K
Master of None
Dear White People
GLOW

Am I missing anything?

Don't see how MST3K doesn't get a renewal, when they did an entire 14 ep season for less than the cost of a single Sense 8 episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Boyband is great, I cant wait for us to go to the live episodes segment instead of these backgrounds stories (also they are kind of a bit heavy on them)

More pool scenes please.
So is this like Utapri??

Yeah, that one stung. Wouldn't have been as bad if they didn't start setting up the next season in the last episode.
I wonder if there was a sense8 fan campaign. Mail in pictures of orgies to the Netflix offices or something.

Maybe for Marco Polo people could mail in fireworks. lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Live-Action Jetsons Series Orbiting Warner Bros.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the studio is developing The Jetsons, a live-action sitcom remake of Hanna-Barbera’s beloved ’60s animated series about a family residing in the futuristic, outer-space utopia known as Orbit City.

A Warner Bros. spokesperson declined to comment, but sources confirm that the studio — which has hired Family Guy EP Gary Janetti to shepherd the potential series — will begin shopping the multi-cam project around to broadcast and cable networks in the coming weeks.

a live action multi cam Jetsons sitcom from one of the writers of Family Guy

we5hmVT.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Huh... Netflix giving Sense 8 some closure with a movie?

Better than nothing?

EulaCapra

So is this like Utapri??

I wonder if there was a sense8 fan campaign. Mail in pictures of orgies to the Netflix offices or something.

Maybe for Marco Polo people could mail in fireworks. lol
Sense8 fan campaign was amazing. They got up to 500K petition signatures which pressured a "We hear your outpouring but it's not feasible with these undisclosed ratings" type of response.

But some truly amazing fans WORLDWIDE actually bombarded Netflix customer support and jammed up traffic with questions as to why it got canceled and who they can contact. And it looks like a few Netflix executives were flooded with emails in their primary work accounts. And I think just last week, a fan encounter with the co-creator confirmed that she was actively pursuing for a two hour movie at the very least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sense8 fan campaign was amazing. They got up to 500K petition signatures which pressured a "We hear your outpouring but it's not feasible with these undisclosed ratings" type of response.

But some truly amazing fans WORLDWIDE actually bombarded Netflix customer support and jammed up traffic with questions as to why it got canceled and who they can contact. And it looks like a few Netflix executives were flooded with emails in their primary work accounts. And I think just last week, a fan encounter with the co-creator confirmed that she was actively pursuing for a two hour movie at the very least.

Wow, that's cool. I guess since Netflix is the "studio" and the "network", complaining to the company actually works. Also I guess we're done with the age of mailing gimmicky packages to studio execs.

(NUTS!)

Funny thing, there's a good chance a decent amount of those fans don't actually have Netflix and just pirate the show.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
you're telling me they think they're worth as much as the guy who was the lead for CBS's Epic and Critically Acclaimed "Moonlight" and the guy who was the 7th billed actor on the last two seasons of Entourage?

Aiii

So not worth it
you're telling me they think they're worth as much as the guy who was the lead for CBS's Epic and Critically Acclaimed "Moonlight" and the guy who was the 7th billed actor on the last two seasons of Entourage?

It is really crazy to think about given how both of them came from critically acclaimed shows and somehow still end up making less than their white no-name co-stars.

Good critical reception and everyone I know who watched it liked it, but never really caught on.
The way the EW article words it, it seems to be the result of ratings and cast negotiations heading to the last second.

Shame, but considering the critical acclaim and the fact its a multi-cam show on the cheaper end, it could get revived?

TheOddOne

The way the EW article words it, it seems to be the result of ratings and cast negotiations heading to the last second.

Shame, but considering the critical acclaim and the fact its a multi-cam show on the cheaper end, it could get revived?
Sounds like Jerrod Carmichael just straight up left?
“The Carmichael Show” is ending after three seasons, as its star and creator Jerrod Carmichael has opted to exit to series, Variety has learned.
Carmichael had been critical in the past of NBC for censoring the series. Recently, he said that he did not agree with the network’s decision to pull an episode that involved as mass shooting. “Really to me, what it says is that you don’t think that America is smart enough to handle real dialogue and something that reflects real family conversations and something that feels honest and true and still respects the victims,” Carmichael said.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess this is more Canadian TV news, but the last longstanding news anchor retired today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPJdf1lA6JM

It makes me think about what an "anchor" even means in 2017, when we live in an age of cable news hosts and comedians giving hot takes (for some reason Jim Jeffries has a show now lol), but I think Peter Mansbridge's retirement basically signals the end of an era of news broadcasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom