• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

It is 30% owned by NBC, yes.

It's also, as it relates to G0523's comment about "spending a bunch of money getting HBO", partially owned by HBO.

Any time you hear about Hulu signing a deal for content, please recognize that it's just an oligopoly deal designed to fuck Netflix. Hulu is not profitable and they've been trying to sell it for years. It exists only to make Netflix a worse service to protect broadcast companies.

Damn, Woke Stump not only hits you in the brain, but in the heart. We are richer just from reading his posts

G0523

It is 30% owned by NBC, yes.

It's also, as it relates to G0523's comment about "spending a bunch of money getting HBO", partially owned by HBO.

Any time you hear about Hulu signing a deal for content, please recognize that it's just an oligopoly deal designed to fuck Netflix. Hulu is not profitable and they've been trying to sell it for years. It exists only to make Netflix a worse service to protect broadcast companies.

Oh wow. I seriously didn't know any of that. Thank you for informing me.

ZeroX03

Banned
Watch all the Seeso stuff go over to Hulu when it dies in a few weeks, forever locked away from international viewers.

I really can't wait for all these streaming services to implode. It doesn't have to be Netflix, I just want everything in only a couple places with minimal effort and geographical restrictions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watch all the Seeso stuff go over to Hulu when it dies in a few weeks, forever locked away from international viewers.

I really can't wait for all these streaming services to implode. It doesn't have to be Netflix, I just want everything in only a couple places with minimal effort and geographical restrictions.
Netflix is the king of region locking though. It's more restrictive than Nintendo now!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it worries me if people in this thread of all places actually thought there would be no IF S2

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm going to imagine making another season of Iron Fist was a safe call because there is nothing about the show that looks expensive and it has an audience size significantly larger than it has any right to.

Hopefully they can wrestle Scott Buck back from Inhumans so he can keep delivering on his vision.

ZeroX03

Banned
They really do not want this show to be good, do they?

To be fair there's plenty of good writers who've been on weak shows, they can't do much to save that. It's when they've got the power that it shows. Scott Buck actually has a pretty good record as a staff writer, it's when he's in charge it all falls to pieces.

Aiii

So not worth it
To be fair there's plenty of good writers who've been on weak shows, they can't do much to save that. It's when they've got the power that it shows. Scott Buck actually has a pretty good record as a staff writer, it's when he's in charge it all falls to pieces.

Fair enough, but when I look at a person’s credits and there is not a single thing I like in it, I am not that confident.

If it reviews well, then sure, I will give it the benefit of the doubt, but I won’t have much faith.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nielsen Adds Hulu And YouTube TV Viewing To Network Ratings

Television ratings should see a boost with Nielsen’s decision, announced this morning, to add viewers who stream shows via Hulu and YouTube TV to the mix.

The audience measurement firm says that it will include viewers watching linear broadcasts live, on DVRs, or on-demand platforms on desktop computers, tablets and smartphones. They will go into the C3 and C7 results, which measure commercial viewing up to three and seven days after a show airs.

vypek

Okay, so.

I'm seeing commercials for that new Jeremy Piven show, Wisdom of the Crowd.

Seriously, what.

I read a little about the show when I saw this post. Stopped when I saw that a tech innovator was doing something. Assuming it'll be a similar quality of the show where the tech innovator built a new hospital cause of personal reasons. Or the show there the tech innovator enhanced a police department (cause of personal reasons?).

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't tell if that's a lateral move or if that's better anymore :(

It's still better.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance. Buck was on another level of Buckness. The show runner for Jessica Jones was the same person who wrote Step Up and all of the Twilight movies, as well as the 2002 Birds of Prey TV show.

So yeah, I won't automatically write someone off that easily.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
It's still better.

I'm willing to give anyone a chance. Buck was on another level of Buckness. The show runner for Jessica Jones was the same person who wrote Step Up and all of the Twilight movies, as well as the 2002 Birds of Prey TV show.

So yeah, I won't automatically write someone off that easily.
Same especially after Gureilla Games went from Nazi's in space to Horizon (probably one of the better stories in games, especially considering how original it is).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been watching Roseanne again because of that thread and because of the reboot and it's amazing how it still holds up. I can see why ABC would want to revive it to speak to an "ignored demographic", since the only thing that even comes close to it is The Middle, and that show basically hides the class issues of the family by basically ignoring it outside of the token "we have a dumpy looking house" mention.

I guess Barr has become a bit of a lunatic in recent years though? I'm not sure how that would square with the show of the 90s, since 90s Roseanne is unapologetically liberal (almost shockingly so, in retrospect). They even did a white privilege episode that is extremely uncomfortable for the entire family, but is still very relevant today.

What I totally forgot about is how often the show would break the fourth wall. It's probably one of the first times I've been exposed to post-modernism, except I was too young to understand what that mean (and too young to understand the references) when I watched it as it aired. You have the obvious "two Beckys" references, but there was a point where they cut actual bloopers into an episode. It's just stuff that sitcoms now would never do, even though half of them are supposedly "documentaries" where the characters talk to the camera or narrate a story to the audience.

I'm just at the tail end of S8, so I'm about to enter the dark final chapter. I'm curious how they'll try to retcon it, although I assume they'll just joke about it if they are going to keep with the spirit of the show.
("Dan, you look like you died and came back to life!" etc etc)

The other thing is that I wonder how much the show will still be about the American lower-middle class, considering the kids have basically climbed the social ladder by the end of the series. There's also a bit of a missed opportunity in that Jackie and Roseanne's newborns are boys - if they were girls, they probably could have just done a "TNG" type spinoff with the next generation of kids picking up the mantle.

I'm much more excited about the revival than I was before though, so I'm happy about that. Roseanne is still a pretty good show and is definitely "canon-worthy".

Patryn

I've been watching Roseanne again because of that thread and because of the reboot and it's amazing how it still holds up. I can see why ABC would want to revive it to speak to an "ignored demographic", since the only thing that even comes close to it is The Middle, and that show basically hides the class issues of the family by basically ignoring it outside of the token "we have a dumpy looking house" mention.

I kind of have to disagree with this. While The Middle is definitely not as "real" as Roseanne, I don't think it's supposed to be. It's far closer on the spectrum to something like Malcolm in the Middle with its touch of surreality.

But I do think they have done quite a bit on the class issue. They have friends who are clearer more well off, both parents have worked multiple jobs to make ends meet, and they've definitely had multiple stories about them wanting/needing things and not being able to afford them.

It's just done in a much lighter tone.

Mindwipe

I read a little about the show when I saw this post. Stopped when I saw that a tech innovator was doing something. Assuming it'll be a similar quality of the show where the tech innovator built a new hospital cause of personal reasons. Or the show there the tech innovator enhanced a police department (cause of personal reasons?).

He literally builds a crowdsourced police department with lots of CSI monitors in a brick warehouse for some reason, because he's trying to catch the man who murdered his daughter.

(By all accounts the pilot is okay, but the premise is a bit tortured. I expect it to get renewed though).

mclem

As an answer to the current title: Tasks.

uV7YPU9.jpg

(Please don't screw it up, please don't screw it up)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I kind of have to disagree with this. While The Middle is definitely not as "real" as Roseanne, I don't think it's supposed to be. It's far closer on the spectrum to something like Malcolm in the Middle with its touch of surreality.

But I do think they have done quite a bit on the class issue. They have friends who are clearer more well off, both parents have worked multiple jobs to make ends meet, and they've definitely had multiple stories about them wanting/needing things and not being able to afford them.

It's just done in a much lighter tone.
I guess I agree, but it never seems like they're ever in peril. There was that thing with Sue forgetting to get a college loan, but it's solved within the same episode with a windfall that they got from selling that diaper company.

Frankie loses her early job, but that honestly felt like a casting change than any actual peril for the family. With Roseanne, there's a period of unemployment that actually affects the family and her psyche... same with when Dan is unemployed.

The Middle is fine, but it's a very sanitized version of what Roseanne was trying to do.

Patryn

I guess I agree, but it never seems like they're ever in peril. There was that thing with Sue forgetting to get a college loan, but it's solved within the same episode with a windfall that they got from selling that diaper company.

Frankie loses her early job, but that honestly felt like a casting change than any actual peril for the family. With Roseanne, there's a period of unemployment that actually affects the family and her psyche... same with when Dan is unemployed.

The Middle is fine, but it's a very sanitized version of what Roseanne was trying to do.

That's what I mean about it being lighter. Roseanne was generally actually a pretty dark show, to the point that it's closer to a a dramedy like Sports Night than a sitcom, which the Middle clearly is.

The Masked Scheduler (Preston Beckman) comments on mid-season vs Fall season premieres on TVBTN today. Thought some people might find it interesting.
The esteemed television writer for the New York Times, James Poniewozik, sent up the "Masked Signal" yesterday asking for help with the following conundrum:

"If fall premiere season is good strategy, why do networks save their more interesting stuff for midseason? And very interested in the revival/persistence of Premiere Week in this day and age."

Although I agree that this year's midseason network shows offer some solid performers -- two of which I will probably check out a second or third time -- I don't think that this is always the case. Last season produced some solid fall shows, one of which ("This Is Us") was actually nominated for an Emmy for best drama series, unheard of in these times.

Several years ago, I asked research to evaluate the chances of success in premiering in fall vs. midseason. I defined success as renewed and renewed again. Using that metric, it was clear that shows premiering in the fall had a better long-term chance of succeeding. The business is evolving, so that may not still be the case (I think it is), but let's address why some shows are saved for midseason.

The most obvious reason is that they either won't be ready for the fall or the development exec lies to everyone and tells us it won't be ready for the fall. The producers want more time or they are afraid to compete in the fall.

Next, there is no obvious place for a show in the fall, so we may wait to see how our schedule shakes out and, assuming counter-programming still matters, where there may be easy competitive slots.

Third, midseason provides different opportunities for launch. The most important is postseason football, which offers a large promotional base and the opportunity to place midseason premieres behind big games, including the Super Bowl. In addition, at FOX, we might have saved a show we felt would benefit from being paired up with "American Idol." My last act as a scheduler was to plan out "Empire" behind "American Idol." One of my favorite pilots at FOX, "Kitchen Confidential" (starring Bradley Cooper) would have worked with the "Idol" lead-in. But we needed a companion for "Arrested Development" in the fall of 2005 and, in my opinion, killed a promising show.

One final reason is that delaying a show for midseason, especially a serialized drama, allows for a steadier run without interruptions, which may help get a show off the ground. This strategy was how we revived "24" after three seasons, and it can help a new promising series.

Regarding the persistence of premiere week, again there are several reasons, the most important being the nature of the sales cycle. With upfront selling in June and July, the networks need a fall schedule, and the upfront presentations are an opportunity to peddle their wares and make a lot of noise. Randomly dropping shows on the schedule does not benefit the networks.

Second, I think the broadcast networks see this two-week window in the fall as an opportunity to be the story and get some attention. We are no longer in a zero-sum game, so going out there and doing battle with the other broadcast nets is no longer all or nothing. Networks are somewhat more patient with shows, so they are far less likely to cancel freshman product after one or two episodes. Freshman series are given the time to be sampled on all the platforms and to aggregate an audience.

Finally, I think it is still in the best interests of agents and studios to create the havoc of pilot season with the bidding pressures for shows and talent. I have also said in the past that this whole process is sort of an addiction to those playing the game, and I don't see it ending any time soon.

berzeli

Banned
‘Queen Sugar’ Renewed For Season 3 By OWN As Ava DuVernay Inks First-Look Deal With Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo – TCA
On the heels of the Season 2 premiere of Ava DuVernay’s breakout OWN drama Queen Sugar hitting series highs last month, the cable network has renewed the series for a third season. Additionally, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker has signed a first-look TV deal with Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo Films for television and digital media. The news is being announced today during the Discovery Networks portion of the TCA summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

Now save Underground Oprah .

vypek

He literally builds a crowdsourced police department with lots of CSI monitors in a brick warehouse for some reason, because he's trying to catch the man who murdered his daughter.

(By all accounts the pilot is okay, but the premise is a bit tortured. I expect it to get renewed though).

Maybe since the pilot is okay it'll be worth checking out but you're right on the premise. Are writers having the same core idea at the same time or what? lol. Not sure why there are so many shows that seem to be cropping up about tech innovators

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's what I mean about it being lighter. Roseanne was generally actually a pretty dark show, to the point that it's closer to a a dramedy like Sports Night than a sitcom, which the Middle clearly is.
It's more sardonic than dark though. Maybe the darkest it ever gets is when they turn around and say that their father used to beat them as children. Their class struggle is usually the source of the humour, which as I watch season 9 now, is probably why people didn't like the change.

Speechless also features a "poor" family, but it's also largely ignored as well. We just assume that "insurance" covers all of JJ's costs (I guess working as a bag checker for an airline gives you a lot of health coverage).

Isn't The Farm supposed to similar to Roseanne with the money problems?
Is that the Netflix show no one talks about?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
News from the TCA TNT/TBS panel:

Angie Tribeca has been renewed for season 4.

Animal Kingdom has been renewed for season 3.

Renewal prospects for Wrecked "are looking good".

Will is in limbo due to underwhelming ratings and big budget.

Perhaps someone can salvage salvation's ratings :(

Dear god no, just watched last nights episode - they have real time video feeds of a satellite orbiting Jupiter, and it instantly responds to all commands. Why even try to be a sci fi show if you can't deal with light speed :(

I just binged through season 2 of wrecked this week, while its still an incredibly stupid show I really find it funny and charming, in a goofy "comedy Lost in a $1 budget" way. Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords, that vampire/werewolf comedy movie) kills it.

kevin1025

Banned
News from the TCA TNT/TBS panel:

Angie Tribeca has been renewed for season 4.

Animal Kingdom has been renewed for season 3.

Renewal prospects for Wrecked "are looking good".

Will is in limbo due to underwhelming ratings and big budget.

I need to catch up on Angie Tribeca. That marathon of the first season was the best way to experience that show, since the flat jokes didn't hurt as much as it would have watching it week to week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom