• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
WGN is still in the game, apparently.

WGN America has made its first move in the original scripted space since cancelling its high-end drama series, Outsiders and Underground. The network, whose parent Tribune Media is being acquired by Sinclair Broadcast Group, has bought the U.S. linear rights to the Canadian drama series Bellevue, starring and executive produced by Anna Paquin.

Bellevue is a small town with big secrets. Twenty years ago the murder of a young woman traumatized the community. Now the killer is back. Or is he? When a high school hockey star wrestling with his gender identity goes missing and all signs point to foul play, Detective Annie Ryder (Canadian-born Paquin) must unravel all the pieces to this mystery before her own life falls apart. Along the way, Annie must navigate a complicated relationship with her on again, off again ex, Eddie (Irish actor Leech) and her boss on the force, Police Chief Peter Welland (Canadian actor Doyle).

The eight-episode detective drama aired on Canadian broadcaster CBC earlier this year.

Bellevue will premiere on WGNA in early 2018.

Source

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Buying a Canadian show that stars a somewhat well known actress isn't that big a play though.

I never did finish Bellevue though - it just felt like it was trying to hard to copy the British/Euro detective drama. I wonder how it turned out.

How is this WGN original content though? Isn't this just WGN airing something that CBC had commissioned?

WGN has no real money invested in making the show, it just has the rights to air the show in the US. Then, this isn't a co-production like "The Young Pope" or "Between." Wouldn't this situation be analogous to Pop TV and "Schitt's Creek", where CBC makes the show but Pop TV just airs it?
EDIT:
No, but it does at least signify that they're still interested in airing "original" scripted content, even if it is just imports.
So, it's similar to what they did before, when WGN was just a syndication network. Except in this case, they'll be showing imports from Canada instead of "Becker". It's going back to a network that airs other network's original content, except it'll be Canadian TV instead of American TV.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, it's similar to what they did before, when WGN was just a syndication network. Except in this case, they'll be showing imports from Canada instead of "Becker". It's going back to a network that airs other network's original content, except it'll be Canadian TV instead of American TV.

Depending on which shows they pick up, they could end up being sort of like SundanceTV. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
#Hearties take note. Hallmark Channel will air a two-hour sneak peek of Season 5 of its original primetime series When Calls The Heart during the network’s annual “Countdown to Christmas” programming event. It will be followed by the Season 5 premiere in February 2018, which will be comprised of ten hour-long weekly episodes.

Since its debut in January 2014, the frontier drama has continued to see viewership growth each year, with Season 4 bringing double-digit gains in HHs and key demos, according to Nielsen and the network.

The series boasts a passionate fan base known as the #Hearties, who have become a
social media phenomenon, making When Calls the Heart one of the network’s most social series. To date, When Calls the Heart has seen a 15% growth in social media impressions secured over season three.

Source

berzeli

Banned
WGN is still in the game, apparently.
What happened to that fancy new strategy of theirs? Already out the window?
I think this is their new strategy. WGN will be the #1 CanCon network!
fake edit: Fuck I missed that torre_avenue already made this observation.
Depending on which shows they pick up, they could end up being sort of like SundanceTV. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.
Urgh, I wish. Feels like it's far more likely that they'll air shit like 90% re-runs of Murdoch Mysteries with an occasional pickup of prime government mandated Canadian TV, all whilst fading into obscurity.
Uh, to for once unironically discuss When Calls the Heart; "has continued to see viewership growth each year" for four seasons straight is seriously impressive.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Urgh, I wish. Feels like it's far more likely that they'll air shit like 90% re-runs of Murdoch Mysteries with an occasional pickup of prime government mandated Canadian TV, all whilst fading into obscurity.

Acquiring more iconic British mystery shows that you haven't spoiled for me would be great!~

Uh, to for once unironically discuss When Calls the Heart; "has continued to see viewership growth each year" for four seasons straight is seriously impressive.

I KNOW

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished The Keepers, I thought it was wonderful (weird thing to say considering the subject matter) and fuck the catholoic church. All the churches. No offense to any religious Gaffers I guess :(

watched 3 episodes of Ozark and I really liked it. Like others said, the first episode is bananas, but I feel like it stays strong throughout (well, for these 3 episodes at least).

Bateman and Linney are great but that was expected (Im a big fan of both so I was biased from the start) but I've been liking the other actors too, really like the redneck family, especially the girl obviously.

I can see how its maybe a bit slow for some but Im super into it. Also the Breaking Bad comparisons are weird, it doesnt feel like a BB clone at all to me.

edit: new Mindhunter trailer

TraBuch

Banned
Is anyone else actually kinda digging Midnight Texas? I mean, it's not amazing or anything, but it's a really easy watch and I've always been a sucker for these modern fantasies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I guess the new trend for the rest of the decade is going to be alt history. Amazon will have both Man in the High Castle and Black America; HBO to have Confederate. Next show will be about what if America never won the Revolution I bet.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So WGN's new strategy is "Canadian TV — it's new to Americans." Gotcha

People are attracted to quality!

chadskin

They'll kill off Erinn Hayes' character on Kevin Can Wait: http://tvline.com/2017/08/01/kevin-can-wait-donna-dies-season-2-erinn-hayes-leaving/

CBS’ entertainment president Kelly Kahl later added that Donna’s death “will be addressed tastefully” and “with dignity and respect.” He called Hayes “a terrific actress,” but added, “when everybody collectively saw how Leah and Kevin worked together in those last couple of episodes, there was just an undeniable spark there. Kevin, the studio [Sony] and the network wanted to keep that magic and chemistry going forward.”

Wow. That's so garbage a way to treat your once-lead. Apparently, the daughter character is getting married and CBS wants to have their cake & eat it to, so it'll be a short time-jump too.

This is so fucking stupid. The only one that comes off as looking good in this situation is Hayes. Also, lol:
Regarding speculation that the show is essentially turning into The King of Queens, Sherman said, “No, I don’t think so. I think the show speaks for itself and stands for itself. Obviously, the chemistry [between James and Remini] was amazing in the stunt episodes.”
It's just a cop version of King of Queens.

vypek

Why even deny the KoQ thing? That is obviously what it will be and why people would tune into seeing the two of them together on screen again. Its why CBS had Leah guest star.

Its just a spiritual success to King of Queens which I'm actually fine with. Could they not afford to keep Hayes on? Or is the directional change so drastic that they felt they HAD to drop her

ZeoVGM

Banned
It sounds like they're killing her off just to introduce a new love interest and then recreate King of Queens. I mean, it couldn't be more transparent.

It sounds like they're killing her off just to introduce a new love interest and then recreate King of Queens. I mean, it couldn't be more transparent.
No, no, you see they're both cops this time instead of a mailman. It's such a fundamental difference, so they have to be two completely different properties.

berzeli

Banned
I hope that killing Erinn Hayes' character means Kevin Can Wait will continue for many seasons.

I want that shows take on something like Kevin James' former colleague shooting an innocent black kid so badly. Surely if it runs for long enough that episode will happen?

CBS All Access orders three new shows:
* Drama series Strange Angel follows Jack Parsons, a ”mysterious and brilliant" man living in 1940s Los Angeles, ”who by day helps birth the entirely unknown discipline of American rocketry, and by night is a performer of sex magic rituals and a disciple to occultist Aleister Crowley." (Wow, that suddenly took a really dark turn.) Strange Angel is based on British author George Pendle's 2005 book of the same name.

* CBS All Access' first original comedy series, No Activity — from Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Funny Or Die — focuses on the more ”mundane" aspects of a major drug cartel bust. For example, what are the low-level cops ”who have spent far too much time in a car together" up to? How do the less in-the-know criminals feel about being kept in the dark? And what of the two Mexican tunnelers ”who are in way too small a space considering they've only just met"?

* And then there's mystery/thriller $1, which takes place in a ”small rust belt town in post-recession America, where a one-dollar bill changing hands connects a group of characters involved in a shocking multiple murder. The path of the dollar bill and point of view in each episode paint a picture of a modern American town with deep class and cultural divides that spill out into the open as the town's secrets get revealed." (Figured we'd let that one explain itself.)

Jim

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Erinn Hayes is being done so dirty. I hope she lands a good role after this debacle.
She has since scored a lead role on The Dangerous Book for Boys for Amazon, from Bryan Cranston and Greg Mottola.

vypek

Erinn Hayes is being done so dirty. I hope she lands a good role after this debacle.

As much as I'm entertained by the whole craziness of the situation and looking forward to how Kevin Can Wait changes and tries to fumble their way into a pivoted direction, it sucks what they are doing to her.

Looking at a post below she does already have another job but it must still suck to be fired from a job not because you are disliked by the audience or doing a bad job on the show but because the network wants the guest star. But everyone knows the show is just a spiritual successor to a different show that CBS had that ended 10 years ago.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Apparently Riverdale is a "big hit" on Netflix.

Mark Pedowitz said:
“I wish linear ratings were slightly higher but we have positioned ourselves as multi-platform network. Now on Netflix, from anecdotal conversations we’ve had, it’s a big hit. There also is massive response on social media. How in fall I don’t care so much about linear ratings as long as people are watching it and they can find it, we’re happy.”

Source

Miami Vice is coming back to the small screen, courtesy of NBC, Vin Diesel, and Chris Morgan.

Diesel and Morgan will be producing, so I expect it to be The Fast & Furious: Miami Vice.
Oh geez... NBC never learns.

I said it a while ago but if it weren't for how the rights are probably tied up with Andy Griffith's estate (he owned half the show, not sure where the rights went after he died) I'd seriously have expected by now of a reboot about a sexy, modern cop dramedy called Mayberry about a small rural town right out of the "50s" but with 2018's problems and a new Sheriff, Angela "Andi" Taylor who lives with son and her crazy Aunt Bee and other updated takes on those characters being made.

CBS 2018!

I just saw the trailer for this yesterday. If it's already done and aired in Canada, why are they waiting until early 2018 to air in the US? Are they trying to avoid competition with Fall 2017 shows?

Huh? I could've sworn it was starting its second season in the Fall...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom