• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So what is up with Outcast Season 2 in the US? I know most people on the Reddit board have probably watched the UK airings already.

The show isn't coming back for another season and I would be surprised if Cinemax even decided to air it at all at this point.

I honestly don't think they would have ever publicly announced the cancellation of The Knick if Chris Sullivan hadn't forced their hand by mentioning it in an interview. It also took them ages to reveal the fate of Quarry.

I don't understand what happened with Cinemax - it's like HBO decided they wanted to make it a destination for originals but then chickened out once they saw how much it would cost or something. I have faith (misplaced, perhaps) that things will get back on track once the "relaunch" happens next year, but still. What a mess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oooh Lucifer seasons 1 and 2 added to my Netflix, been wanting to check it out (probably shit)

Oooh Lucifer seasons 1 and 2 added to my Netflix, been wanting to check it out (probably shit)

As long as you don't go in expecting anything like the comic you should be all right. I find it solidly entertaining as a goofy procedural where the cases usually matter very little.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As long as you don't go in expecting anything like the comic you should be all right. I find it solidly entertaining as a goofy procedural where the cases usually matter very little.

I know nothing about the comic. And after 2 eps, I concur. It's a goofy procedural, which I know is a big no no genre around here but I don't mind the occasional one (I like Elementary for example, or used to at least haven't watched it in awhile), but the main is good which, much like Elementary in fact, goes a long way to make it watchable, and I do like how open he is about being the devil, even tho nobody believes him. I'll probably watch the rest.

Also the show has the weirdest case of clone actors I remember, as the lead lady looks a lot like Maggie from Walking Dead, and this demon lady friend of Lucifer looks a lot like Halle Berry (well a young Halle). Even the main dude reminds me of someone.

berzeli

Banned
Damien Chazelle & Netflix Have ‘The Eddy' Musical Drama Series On Dance Card
Oscar-winning La La Land director Damien Chazelle, Netflix and IMG are teaming on musical drama The Eddy. To be shot in France, the eight-part series is written by Jack Thorne. Chazelle will executive produce and direct two of the episodes. Alan Poul (Six Feet Under) will also executive produce.

The Netflix original will feature dialogue in French, English and Arabic. Set in contemporary Paris, it revolves around a club, its owner, the house band, and the chaotic city that surrounds them.

Original music will be penned by Glen Ballard (Alanis Morissette's ”Jagged Little Pill," Michael Jackson's ”Bad").

Chazelle — who is of French heritage and speaks French — says, ”I've always dreamed of shooting in Paris, so I'm doubly excited to be teaming up with Jack, Glen and Alan on this story, and thrilled that we have found a home for it at Netflix.”
Jesus.
This is now my most anticipated show.

edit: whoops, thought I was in the pilot thread.
sidenote: should we combine the cancellations thread with the pilot thread? the latter sees very little traffic and this thread is a TV industry news thread in many ways.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
sidenote: should we combine the cancellations thread with the pilot thread? the latter sees very little traffic and this thread is a TV industry news thread in many ways.

otoh, I like the catalog nature of the pilot thread and merging it with the cancellation thread would make it a nightmare to search for anything

kevin1025

Banned
Damien Chazelle & Netflix Have ‘The Eddy' Musical Drama Series On Dance Card

Jesus.
This is now my most anticipated show.

edit: whoops, thought I was in the pilot thread.

This sounds real good.

Jack Thorne is racking up the work lately. Episode IX and now this, on top of a new play.

Edit: And he's doing the His Dark Materials BBC adaptation. Haha, he's everywhere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A couple fall TV guides:

TV Guide said:
Positive:

Young Sheldon
The Mayor
Future Man
The Gifted
The Long Road Home
The Deuce
Will & Grace

Mixed:

Ghosted
The Good Doctor
Kevin (Probably) Saves the World
Ten Days in the Valley
Me, Myself & I

Negative:

The Orville
Marvel's Inhumans
All 3 identical military dramas (Valor, The Brave, SEAL Team)
S.W.A.T.
Dynasty
9JKL (worst new comedy of the season)
Wisdom of the Crowd (worst new drama of the season)

Oregon Live said:
Best new show of the fall:

Ken Burns' The Vietnam War

Good, but troubling due to its depiction of the exploitation of women:

The Deuce

Most promising (as in, the critic liked the episodes she saw):

Ten Days in the Valley
The Gifted
Marvel's Runaways
The Mayor
Young Sheldon

Least promising (as in, the critic diliked the episodes she saw):

Me, Myself & I
Dynasty
Wisdom of the Crowd
Ghosted
The Brave
9JKL

We've talked about this a little bit before. The intent is to keep this thread from becoming an "everything about TV" community thread that would probably end up in the Community forum. The solution is having multiple, focused threads, though it would be nice if more people knew about and posted in the pilot thread and the seasonal threads, so I encourage you to use those when appropriate. If something is big enough news and you don't feel it'll get enough eyeballs in the pilot thread, then make a new thread for it.
Please keep in mind that the purpose of this thread is to discuss ratings, cancellations, and other associated TV business news. The cancellations thread is not intended as a catch-all community thread. This isn't a thread to discuss plot details from what you watched last night. Use the appropriate OT if that's what you'd like to do. Thanks.

As a further reminder...

Production news goes here: TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever (discussing pilots, minor casting news for new shows that isn't thread-worthy, etc...)
Current scheduling and what you're watching goes here: What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2017 Edition - (what you're watching this season, is this new show any good?)
TV-GAF is organized like this:
- Ratsky's what are you watching thread -- some conversation about general TV watching [mostly people listing which shows of the new season list they are going to catch], mostly a resource for scheduling stuff, a lot of coordination of OTs
- The Cancellation thread, which has had a variety of authors over the years, including ivysaur, me, and Sober -- mostly conversation about ratings with an emphasis on cancellation/renewal trajectories, some discussion about peak TV, the TV business ecosystem, probably the #1 place to talk about obscure shows literally no one else on the site is watching, some ongoing catch up stuff
- The Pilot thread, which is somewhat inactive, and was posted by ivysaur -- Some discussion about script purchases, pilot purchases, put pilots, and upfront orders. Mostly a news repository rather than communication.
- Individual show threads including LTTPs

Pluto

I was slightly hoping Orville would have been better than Discovery.
It was never going to be good, some Star Trek fans had been slobbering all over it because it looks like 90s Star Trek and that's a problem imo, it's Seth MacFarlane having a nerdgasm, that rarely makes for a good show. I doubt it'll get a second season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Somehow I missed this, but Apple is apparently gearing up to make their own original scripted series.

Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, former presidents of Sony TV (who shepherded, among others, The Blacklist, The Goldbergs, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and The Crown) are spearheading the new effort, along with Matt Cherniss, who made WGN America into a contender before Sinclair blew it all up.

If anyone has the capacity to match Netflix's $7 billion per year on programming initiative, it'd be Apple...

kevin1025

Banned
Somehow I missed this, but Apple is apparently gearing up to make their own original scripted series.

Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, former presidents of Sony TV (who shepherded, among others, The Blacklist, The Goldbergs, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and The Crown) are spearheading the new effort, along with Matt Cherniss, who made WGN America into a contender before Sinclair blew it all up.

If anyone has the capacity to match Netflix's $7 billion per year on programming initiative, it'd be Apple...

There was a story about a month or so back I believe, where they're setting it all up to be a monster in 2019. They can definitely be the one to give Netflix a run for their money. I wonder if it'll be exclusive to iOS and Apple TV, or if they'll throw apps up everywhere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know I'm repeating myself, but I still have no idea what the hell the CW was thinking making a Dynasty show in 2017.

Remakes run the gamut, from CBS’s predictably explosive S.W.A.T. to The CW’s depressingly trashy multicultural reinvention of Dynasty, a misfire misgauging our desire for tiresomely campy soap opera. (Who’s the audience for this?)

"Dynasty": TV keeps recycling concepts drawn from old shows, but was anybody yearning for a new take on the ‘80s primetime soap known for ridiculous plot twists, hammy acting, Joan Collins, big hair and shoulder pads? The new version keeps the hammy acting, and the pilot makes it seem totally unnecessary.

berzeli

Banned
otoh, I like the catalog nature of the pilot thread and merging it with the cancellation thread would make it a nightmare to search for anything
We've talked about this a little bit before. The intent is to keep this thread from becoming an "everything about TV" community thread that would probably end up in the Community forum. The solution is having multiple, focused threads, though it would be nice if more people knew about and posted in the pilot thread and the seasonal threads, so I encourage you to use those when appropriate. If something is big enough news and you don't feel it'll get enough eyeballs in the pilot thread, then make a new thread for it.
Fair enough.
This sounds real good.

Jack Thorne is racking up the work lately. Episode IX and now this, on top of a new play.

Edit: And he's doing the His Dark Materials BBC adaptation. Haha, he's everywhere.
I'm really glad that he's catching on, I've adored his work for more than five years at this point so it's about damn time the rest of the world wakes up.

Announced in 2015, latest update was in April this year and he still was trying out to see what works then. So that one might not make it.
A couple fall TV guides:
Sounds about right. 9JKL and Wisdom of the Crowd looked fucking awful.

Sober

As it is September 1st, I would like to remind everyone there will be another cancellation thread in the next few days.

As for a general TV Community thread, part of me is (or was?) hesitant to start one up as I wonder if it would take some discussion away from these and the aforementioned threads. But I also realize that other communities are fine on GAF despite one, and there is a fairly healthy tv watching community on OT GAF that I doubt a catch all community thread would deter from other focused conversations in this, the pilot thread, or Ratsky's seasonal threads, or show threads (LTTP or OT or otherwise).

And to be honest I have seen the same familiar names for literal years now so it also feels long overdue. Thoughts?

TheChaos

"Dynasty": TV keeps recycling concepts drawn from old shows, but was anybody yearning for a new take on the ‘80s primetime soap known for ridiculous plot twists, hammy acting, Joan Collins, big hair and shoulder pads? The new version keeps the hammy acting, and the pilot makes it seem totally unnecessary.

TV execs look at the successes of GLOW and Stranger Things and think that we're nostalgic for the 80s way more than we actually are. See: the Heathers reboot TV show nobody is asking for.

Rhaknar

As it is September 1st, I would like to remind everyone there will be another cancellation thread in the next few days.

As for a general TV Community thread, part of me is (or was?) hesitant to start one up as I wonder if it would take some discussion away from these and the aforementioned threads. But I also realize that other communities are fine on GAF despite one, and there is a fairly healthy tv watching community on OT GAF that I doubt a catch all community thread would deter from other focused conversations in this, the pilot thread, or Ratsky's seasonal threads, or show threads (LTTP or OT or otherwise).

And to be honest I have seen the same familiar names for literal years now so it also feels long overdue. Thoughts?

I don't see why one should be separate from the other but ok. Imo should just rename this as general t.v. talk (which includes cancellation and ratings which is something you WOULD talk in a tv thread).

Like there's a steam thread where people talk about anything PC related really not just steam, the wrestling thread where ppl talk about all sorts of random shit not wrestling, comics thread talks about movies and shit, but here it's suddenly taboo to talk about tv shows... whut?

berzeli

Banned
Stargate reboot is inevitable. lol
eXxbt2T.jpg
...I want to say they're trying but they aren't really

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
All those Canadian sci-fi shows that air on SyFy blend together for me. Wake me up when a REAL Stargate revival happens. Not that streaming service low budget nonsense.

Big surprise for me (re: positive review reception) is The Gifted. Trailers made it seem like predictable trash. Maybe I'm just burned out on superhero shows...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know there's a female Van Helsing and a female Earp show... are they creating a female historical figure universe as their replacement for all these spaceship shows?

...I want to say they're trying but they aren't really
Oh yes, that web exclusive show that no one wants. lol

vypek

Looked up the trailer for 9JKL. For most stations I would guess cancelled in one season. But I think it might get up to two on CBS. Seemed awful to me.

mreddie

Mayor seems to be the only worth a fuck this year. But man, this year, it seems Networks are just flailing around.

The fact there's 3 military shows this year and they are all almost the same damn thing.

TDLink

Travelers on Netflix is pretty decent Canadian sci-fi right now. I think it's better than both Dark Matter and Killjoys by far.

kevin1025

Banned
Mayor seems to be the only worth a fuck this year. But man, this year, it seems Networks are just flailing around.

The fact there's 3 military shows this year and they are all almost the same damn thing.

Trends are the trend this year. And following trends are a really rough way to do business. Take risks, darn it!

J_Viper

What's the verdict here on Van Helsing?

It has the production values of an Asylum film, but there's something about that's drawing me in after three episodes. It also helps that both leads are great.

Worth sticking with?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What's the verdict here on Van Helsing?

It has the production values of an Asylum film, but there's something about that's drawing me in after three episodes. It also helps that both leads are great.

Worth sticking with?

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard that it's pretty solid for what it is.

Looked up the trailer for 9JKL. For most stations I would guess cancelled in one season. But I think it might get up to two on CBS. Seemed awful to me.

I've seen several critics note that CBS have the worst comedy and drama of the year in 9JKL and Wisdom Of The Crowd respectively..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom