• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-17 TV Cancellations Thread: TNT finds "Nothing can come of nothing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Phoebe Waller-Bridge's 'Crashing' is hilarious. The first episode is mediocre (I actually watched the first episode months ago but didn't continue with the rest of the season because that first one was so off putting, but I decided to pick it back up on a whim a few days ago and I'm so glad I did) but the rest of the season (6 half hour episodes in total. It's on Netflix!) is very funny.

It's about a group of damaged people who live together as property guardians in an abandoned hospital. Hijinks ensue.

I also started watching 'I'm Sorry' based on the positive buzz from TV GAF. Pretty good so far!

Pachimari

Started The Good Place and intend on finishing it before the new season later this month. I'm really liking it and it's much fun, although I feel the character of Chidi getting on the boring side. I'm on episode 4.

Continued my watch of The Handmaid's Tale as well, and it's still as good as I remember. Got six episodes left but it's some of the best television I've watched this year. I might watch an episode a day, it's a heavy topic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Started The Good Place and intend on finishing it before the new season later this month. I'm really liking it and it's much fun, although I feel the character of Chidi getting on the boring side. I'm on episode 4.

Continued my watch of The Handmaid's Tale as well, and it's still as good as I remember. Got six episodes left but it's some of the best television I've watched this year. I might watch an episode a day, it's a heavy topic.

They are adding that to my region Netflix and will add weekly eps of season 2, excited to watch it.

xrnzaaas

Superman got fat o_O

lucyfer01.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Tom Welling is back? Is that some CW show?

oh damn, really? huh. Guess that anwsers my "is Lucifer coming back for S3" question I had. Ive been watching it, still on S1... its not a good show by any means, but im enjoying it lol.

Rhaknar

Not a great photo. He seems like he's got a pretty normal build for a 40 year old who isn't trying to be CW jacked anymore.

not to mention that the original photo, the dude isnt fat at all >_>

Im fat. That dude is normal. Unless that is "hollywood fat", which is just...well sad.

xrnzaaas

My bad, I only looked at that photo and only at his face. ;) Anyway +1 to still stuck on Lucifer season 1 club. I really loved the pilot, but then somehow lost interest when the show became a supernatural procedural.

Tom Welling is back? Is that some CW show?

oh damn, really? huh. Guess that anwsers my "is Lucifer coming back for S3" question I had. Ive been watching it, still on S1... its not a good show by any means, but im enjoying it lol.
It's a show that's mostly carried by the lead. It's enjoyable enough.
Body shaming our TV Superman.

Shame.gif
#NotMyTVSuperman but he pretty much stopped any significant gym time after he became a producer.

The Good Place was one of the very few good network comedies from last year so I'm personally looking forward to season 2.

Also, keep watching. It goes to some weird and wonderful places with all characters

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
According to TVLine's review, Seth McFarlane's 'The Orville' isn't actually a comedy - it's a drama. Like, not a comedy that is so unfunny that it winds up being a drama, but like it's apparently written as a straightforward drama.

Link

So, uh, that's interesting.

berzeli

Banned
According to TVLine's review, Seth McFarlane's 'The Orville' isn't actually a comedy - it's a drama. Like, not a comedy that is so unfunny that it winds up being a drama, but like it's apparently written as a straightforward drama.

Link

Called it.
Now firstly lets deal with the "it's not a drama" Fox says "THE ORVILLE is a one-hour science fiction series", not comedy, and if we take a look at the Knowledge Graph in the google search (which uses the world's most reliable source, Wikipedia):
wKFrE3B.png

Link

Yeah I think a while back they announced that it was gonna be "a space dramedy" and wondered how since the commercials made it out to be a straight up comedy. I guess they went more on the drama side of dramedy.

Edit: Quote from entertainment weekly back in May

Sure, the trailer looks like a wacky Galaxy Quest-style comedy but we’re told the show has serious elements as well and plays more like a dramedy.

Yeah, Orville seems more like a Drama. I mean, the 1st scene we see is so dramatic.

"can i have one of these mints?"

*puts in mouth*

"those are marbles+"

*spits out marble*

+randomly placed bowl of marbles on the desk of the head of the fleet, for serious drama reasons. Not comedy.

berzeli

Banned
I just read the review.
like in Episode 3, when the birth of an alien baby leads to a long and ponderous debate about gender identity. That might be a worthwhile discussion to have... just maybe not on a Seth MacFarlane show.
Uh.
Frankly, MacFarlane is way out of his depth here, not only as a dramatic writer, but also as an actor. After making a career as an irreverent smart-ass, it's near impossible to take him seriously as a dramatic leading man. Palicki was terrific on Friday Night Lights — Texas forever, y'all — but her talents are wasted here on a sorely underwritten character. (Kelly is Ed's ex-wife, she cheated on him and... yep, that's about it.)
Who could have guessed that the guy who did a song at the Oscars about seeing tits in film is bad at writing women?
The Orville feels like a vanity project, plain and simple, and while it might be fun for MacFarlane to run around shooting phasers and playing Captain Kirk, it's not much fun to watch.
Sounds about right.

Also found another review:
But only if MacFarlane weren't trying to make something he doesn't seem to know much about: A ”dramedy."

You probably have a better idea of what that is than MacFarlane. It is not just a smattering of legitimately funny lines, and a few more unfunny lines tossed on top of a rather unremarkable drama. In a real dramedy, created by people who know what they're doing, comedy and drama are carefully woven together, the humor and seriousness refract and modify each other. See ”Transparent." See ”Orange Is the New Black."

Another problem with the show, whatever it is, is MacFarlane as a leading man. He can spoof a square-jawed hero, but he just isn't very interesting playing it straight.

I was looking at the picture of The Orville in the 'fall shows' thread and I was thinking:

in the back: purposely not too attractive black guy, hopeless white virgin for life, alien black guy, dysgendered robot.

in the front: the babe, and Seth.

Oh, it's a vanity project all right.

vypek

Lol I didn't see any drama parts in the commercials I have seen. For some reason I also thought it was appearing in the comedy block on Sundays as well. I don't think I even want to bother giving it a chance

vypek

Orville is on Sunday. I thought it was just for comedies. I wish it was still animation domination sometimes. Feel a lot of the newer stuff that lands there is garbage now

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm not sure why he didn't just make Orville a movie. Still waiting for Ted 3 tbh.

Also checking the emmys list and it's apparent that Orange is the Black (Season 4) got snubbed simply because they didn't want two female-led shows. It also speaks volumes since it would have been the only show nominated where over half the main cast is a minority of some sort.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's nice that Brannon Braga and Marvin Rush and Jonathan Frakes all had jobs again, and DS9's Penny Johnson Jerald, too, but I figured it'd be a short-lived gig. The Orville has looked pretty terrible to me from the first. I'll check it out, but I'm not a McFarlane fan and these reviews aren't changing my mind in the least.

Legit hyped for Discovery, though. I don't think it'll be great out the gate, but I think it'll be fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Frakes works pretty often as a TV director. That's a really interesting gig. You don't make an enormous amount, but if you're at all competent you can get steady work, and it's more of a trade than a craft, since your main job is working quickly and being consistent with the visual grammar of the series than it is to, like, swing for the fences and do something amazing. But I think it's a sort of good post-retirement job since he gets to meet a lot of people and work on some interesting material and then at the end of the day move on to the next thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Called it.
I mean it looks like Galaxy Quest, which is also a comedy-drama. I don't think it was going to be American Red Dwarf, at least based on that trailer from awhile ago.

It's nice that Brannon Braga and Marvin Rush and Jonathan Frakes all had jobs again, and DS9's Penny Johnson Jerald, too, but I figured it'd be a short-lived gig. The Orville has looked pretty terrible to me from the first. I'll check it out, but I'm not a McFarlane fan and these reviews aren't changing my mind in the least.

Legit hyped for Discovery, though. I don't think it'll be great out the gate, but I think it'll be fine.
Braga did Cosmos and that was fine, right?

I dunno, after killing a franchise and creating a bomb for CBS, I don't think he really has the chops to run an actual show.

Edit: Oh wait, Braga is on Orville? lol
makes sense I guess, since MacFarlane worked with him on Cosmos. I wonder if that's how Orville started... they nerded out over working on TNG and decided to make their own.

berzeli

Banned
I mean it looks like Galaxy Quest, which is also a comedy-drama. I don't think it was going to be American Red Dwarf, at least based on that trailer from awhile ago.
Galaxy Quest definitely is not a comedy-drama. It's a straight comedy, or comedy-adventure if you want the hyphen. I've never heard anyone call it a comedy-drama.

I was going to list things I consider comedy drama like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and talk about what I feel differentiates comedy-drama (or dramedy) from straight comedy but then I decided to check the wiki lists for it and it fucking lists ALF so what do I know.

But not that any of it matters since I was only linking to a mediocre joke I made a while back and it's not like my posts are worthwhile even when I'm not joking.
Frakes works pretty often as a TV director. That's a really interesting gig. You don't make an enormous amount, but if you're at all competent you can get steady work, and it's more of a trade than a craft, since your main job is working quickly and being consistent with the visual grammar of the series than it is to, like, swing for the fences and do something amazing. But I think it's a sort of good post-retirement job since he gets to meet a lot of people and work on some interesting material and then at the end of the day move on to the next thing.
I think it is impressive how some people are able to hone that trade and turn it into a craft, so that even in shows with a defined visual style you can pick out their episodes.

Basically, how the fuck does Lesli Linka Glatter still not have an Emmy?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Galaxy Quest definitely is not a comedy-drama. It's a straight comedy, or comedy-adventure if you want the hyphen. I've never heard anyone call it a comedy-drama.

I was going to list things I consider comedy drama like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and talk about what I feel differentiates comedy-drama (or dramedy) from straight comedy but then I decided to check the wiki lists for it and it fucking lists ALF so what do I know.

But not that any of it matters since I was only linking to a mediocre joke I made a while back and it's not like my posts are worthwhile even when I'm not joking.
I mean, is Stargate (SG-1 at least) comedy or drama? Particularly when they literally cast Homer Simpson and made Simpsons jokes for an episode.

berzeli

Banned
I mean, is Stargate (SG-1 at least) comedy or drama? Particularly when they literally cast Homer Simpson and made Simpsons jokes for an episode.
I'd just call it a sci-fi or adventure show?
And like a show can do comedy episodes even if it is a drama, and vice versa.

Yet again, I'm not entirely sure if this categorisation actually matters.

But what does matter is that Lesli Linka Glatter still hasn't won an Emmy.

styl3s

First time i have heard of a show called Will. Saw "TNT canceled" first and my brain went to Animal Kingdom and almost had a fucking heart attack.

Best damn show currently airing Le Bureau des Légendes is getting a fourth season!
I haven't seen the third season yet (it's airing over here shortly), but the first two were so good. It is available on Amazon (in the US & UK), and Sundance Now (US), watch it people.

Ufortunately the same article also states that an American remake is happening. Because it worked so well with [insert show here].

Can you give a summary of what the shows about and why its so good? I love foreign tv gems! (and also what the name is on amazon...bureau is showing nothing!)

Very interesting interview with John T. Kretchmer on the AV Club yesterday. Goes into a lot of detail about directing for TV among other things

http://www.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-going-from-jurassic-park-to-directing-tv-1798715879

berzeli

Banned
Can you give a summary of what the shows about and why its so good? I love foreign tv gems! (and also what the name is on amazon...bureau is showing nothing!)
Centring around DGSE (France's external intelligence agency, i.e. France's CIA), more precisely the department for deep cover agents, the first season picks up when one of its operatives returns from his mission in Damascus having to readjust to his new life.
Now because it is a contemporary spy show (and deals with terrorism), you might think "Oh, a French version of Homeland". However you shouldn't, because it has a lot more in common with shows like The Honourable Woman and (even more so) Rubicon.

It features a terrific central performance from Mathieu Kassovitz (Amélie, Munich), the rest of the cast is great too. And it is so good at setting up characters (and their arcs) and plot points, it is kind of hard to explain just how Bureau gets this so right but it does, it leads you on like no there show out there but it never leaves you feeling like it just dropped something on you from out of the blue. Tense, well paced, and well written. It is everything you want from spy fiction.

It should be called The Bureau on Amazon, but I just checked and apparently it's not on Prime in the US anymore. So it's either acquiring Sundance Now (available through amazon, and there's a free trial) or having to purchase each season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom