• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016/2017 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Juventus vs Real Madrid

Tubie

Even Blablurn would have admitted Madrid were the far stronger side.

How would Franco have helped them in Europe? He didn't. Moreover, he used the club for political purposes far after their European success.

It's funny how they always link Madrid to Franco, when the big establishment (government) team in that era was Atletico de Madrid.

azyless

Footy isn't like American sports that are tied to the hip to geographical proximit
It's weird because I get the complete opposite impression. I always see americans supporting teams halfway across the country, due, I imagine, to the very low number of teams compared to the size of the country (+ the possibility that the team could just end up in another city a year later).
I think the vast majority of football fans, in Europe at least, support their city's team, or at least a city pretty close to them. And then maybe they support another more prestigious team on top of that.
Of course there are people who don't care at all for their local teams but I think they're pretty rare overall.

Dark Rider

The last time we won this back to back was in 1960
more than half a century is a very long time
so we need to win this and hopefully we will

sadly I think we won't
but nonetheless HALA MADRID

Tubie

I just hope Zidane can resist any pressure from Florentino and keep the Ronaldo-Benzema-Isco diamond that got us the league title.

Bale has been telling the media he's fit to play, so the pressure campaign on Zidane is on.

Dark Rider

Looking at Bale form and injuries I don't want him to play this match.
Unless he become supper motivated playing home and become super human scoring machine in this match.

Yeah, Bale said he will be okay coming off from the bench.

Makes sense, look what the injuries have done to him

gareth-bale-statuebale-bust_xeq5ydgsx2f91b7jrrtjtulk3.jpg

RocknRola

Ironically all of those that made it to the end were runner-ups. That said, seven years rule (one different italian wins the UCL every seven years since 1989), and if we were to look at how the cup unfolded (Real's is second luckiest run of all time after ACM in 2003) Juventus, assuming no last minute defections, should walk all over Real, which is about the same as 2015-16, a bit more savvy in the midfield but nothing special, while Juventus is extremely stronger on the offensive end while getting even better in defense.

Sadly, Juventus would choke even if it was Juventus vs Juventus in Juventus Stadium, so we'll see. I still think Real has absolutely no say in the matter, even as an 11 times champion. It's more about Juventus suiciding itself and letting them steal the cup (which is what happened in 1998 by the way) than anything else. I also think if they don't win now they will never ever win the cup again for as long as Juventus exists, if they win chances are they could very well go on to match Ajax and Bayern in the 70s over the next two seasons.

Lucky run? Chelsea's run was a lucky run. In fact it was the definition of lucky run.

It's weird because I get the complete opposite impression. I always see americans supporting teams halfway across the country, due, I imagine, to the very low number of teams compared to the size of the country (+ the possibility that the team could just end up in another city a year later).
I think the vast majority of football fans, in Europe at least, support their city's team, or at least a city pretty close to them. And then maybe they support another more prestigious team on top of that.
Of course there are people who don't care at all for their local teams but I think they're pretty rare overall.
Sort of but also due to the small size of, for instance, the UK, there's no real skepticism with who supports who because it's perfectly likely they lived there, have family there, etc... nowhere feels so far away that it's odd to support a certain team. People pretend like this isn't the case but it sort of is.

De las glorias deportivas que
campean por España

Va el Madrid con su bandera,
limpia y blanca que no empaña.

Club castizo y generoso,
todo nervio y corazón

Veteranos y noveles, veteranos
y noveles,
miran siempre tus laureles con
respeto y emoción.

¡Hala Madrid! ¡Hala Madrid!
Noble y bélico adalid, caballero
del honor

A triunfar en buena lid,
defendiendo tu color

¡Hala Madrid!

del honor

¡Hala Madrid!

Enemigo en la contienda, cuando
pierde da la mano,

Sin envidias ni rencores, como
bueno y fiel hermano.

Los domingos por la tarde,
caminando a Chamartin,

Las mocitas madrileñas, las
mocitas madrileñas
van alegres y risueñas porque hoy
juega su Madrid.

del honor

¡Hala Madrid!

A triunfar en buena lid,
defendiendo tu color

¡Hala Madrid!

del honor

¡Hala Madrid!

del honor

¡Hala Madrid!

A triunfar en buena lid,
defendiendo tu color

¡Hala Madrid!

del honor

¡Hala Madrid!

Juve have the best manager in the world, the best two defenders in the world, the best RB in the world, and the best player in the world.

Gonna be easy, just like it was against Barca, who could at least claim to have the best forward in the world.

Juve have the best manager in the world, the best two defenders in the world, the best RB in the world, and the best player in the world.

Gonna be easy, just like it was against Barca, who could at least claim to have the best forward in the world.

Finally someone acknowledges Buffon's exceptional quality.

faridmon

I am rooting for Madrid.

Sadly I won't be able to watch this since Field Day is happening at the same time.

I'll be watching Aphex Twin live instead :)

Watching the training session on youtube and I think you can see both sides tifos set up? Looks pretty sweet

also: even though pepe has been rocking a comb over or afro for the longest time...shit looks so weird

Bersi

Holy shit at those journalists during Zidane press conference that mentioned catenaccio when talking about juve.

Like,can you be more fucking clueless?

didn't sleep last night

anxiety is already unbearable

i have two blue label johnny walker for the whole day tomorrow, hoping it'll be enough

Tubie

didn't sleep last night

anxiety is already unbearable

i have two blue label johnny walker for the whole day tomorrow, hoping it'll be enough

Tonight is when I'll have trouble sleeping.

I'm thinking Juve has the advantage on this one, simply because Madrid's defense has been kinda mediocre all season long.

We did score on every single La Liga match this season for the first time ever, but I don't think Juve will be that easy to score against.

If Juve's offense is on point they can win this 1-0 or even 2-0, and if it goes to penalties then Juve has a massive advantage with Buffon.

Top Bottom