• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Fantasy Football Discussion/Advice Thread

FTF

I took julio over odb if that makes you feel better

also I don't like using high picks on members of the team that I root for. bad juju.

I get that too...I also don't like having all my eggs in one basket and if a big player goes down well there goes my fantasy team and actual team I root for.

Like this year, especially with the madden cover bs, I'm somewhat leery of taking Gronk :/ Dumb superstitions lol

mjc

Might need some input from you guys, I have a trade offer coming in:

I'd trade Donte Moncrief for John Brown. Brown's trouble with his concussion has me concerned...and I'm not quite sure on that. On the other hand I kept TY, so I'm doubling up on Colts receivers right now. Thoughts?

mjc

Moncrief is expected to be better. Nobody really knows how targets will be split between Fitz, Floyd and Brown, whereas Moncrief is pretty locked in at Luck's #2 option, with #1 upside.

Yeah I'm thinking that as well, sharing the catches with Floyd and Fitz is troubling.

I got the #2 pick,, I think its obvious that pick number one will be AB. But I am struggling with Beckham JR or Julio Jones.

I have the 3rd pick in one of my leagues. Not a fan of the 3rd pick at all.

But I'm expecting to take Julio at 3. If OBJIII falls to 3, I wouldn't mind either. What I'm saying is it's basically a coin flip.

I did one mock draft where AB84 fell to 3 (not autodraft either). Was crazy. But then again Yahoo mock drafts are some of the dumbest and most unreliable ways to get an idea of who is getting drafted where.

If AB84 fell to 3 in my league, I'd go nuts and would start declaring myself the champ right there.

Drafting on Sept 7th ( looking to bump the draft up earlier for next season)

12-man keeper league, we get 4 players.

I'm picking 6th.

Keepers are:

2. AB
9. woodhead
13. Kelce
16. Tyrod Taylor

Not sure if my first pick should be WR or RB... RBs avail for me would prob be like Doug Martin/Eddie Lacy crowd...WRs, not sure, the best one avail is AJ Green/Dez, but i doubt they are there by 6.

fingers crossed this is my year!!!!

Jarlaxle

Did my draft last Saturday in a 10 person standard league. I had the 9th pick:

Ezekiel Elliott
Lamar Miller
Brandin Cooks
Jordan Reed
Jeremy Maclin
Matt Jones
Devante Parker
John Brown
Sterling Shephard
Jay Ajayi
Carson Palmer
Paul Perkins
Theo Riddick
Antonio Gates
Kansas City Chiefs D/ST
Chandler Catanzaro

I know my team is RB heavy but most of the good WR's were gone by my pick and figured I could go strong on RB as a countermeasure and possibly trade later if need be. Is this really terrible?

I got the #2 pick,, I think its obvious that pick number one will be AB. But I am struggling with Beckham JR or Julio Jones.

If you're playing PPR then Julio for sure. ODB will get plenty of targets, but probably not the kind of volume that Julio will get. If it's standard then I'd still go with Julio unless you think Julio will continue his trend of not getting into the endzone that often where as ODB has been a TD machine his first two years. I just feel like Julio will be a safer bet since I think he'll continue seeing a ton of targets and have 120+ catches for 1700+ yards and just hope the TD's will be there where as I think ODB will continue being a 90-100 catch guy for 1400-1500 yards.

wbsmcs

Did my draft last Saturday in a 10 person standard league. I had the 9th pick:

Ezekiel Elliott
Lamar Miller
Brandin Cooks
Jordan Reed
Jeremy Maclin
Matt Jones
Devante Parker
John Brown
Sterling Shephard
Jay Ajayi
Carson Palmer
Paul Perkins
Theo Riddick
Antonio Gates
Kansas City Chiefs D/ST
Chandler Catanzaro

I know my team is RB heavy but most of the good WR's were gone by my pick and figured I could go strong on RB as a countermeasure and possibly trade later if need be. Is this really terrible?

I'm sorry, I don't really like this team, especially in 10 team. Outside of your top 2 RBs everyone else is a question mark. Matt Jones/ Parker/ John Brown as flex options aren't exactly the strongest. If one of Jones/Perkins/Ajayi could step up then it might turn out alright.

I usually don't recommend grabbing RB early, but he's probably going to be a better pick than anyone at #12 considering most of the usual talent in that area will probably be kept. This is assuming you don't lose your draft pick depending on where you took them last year?

Your keeper though absolutely has to be Cooper, but again that's assuming your draft position isn't affected?

Should have made that clearer, my keepers right now would be Brown and Cooper if i dont trade for AP (then i obviously go with Brown and AP). I dont lose any picks, other then the 2nd round i would give up for AP.

Ive always loved having WR's over RB's as they tend to be less volatile if you don't have like a top 5 back.

Shizza

Looking for some thoughts on my last keeper:

Definitely keeping:
1. Odell Beckham WR | NYG
2. Jamaal Charles RB | KC
3. Allen Robinson WR | JAX

Trying to decide between one of the following:
Giovani Bernard RB | CIN
Bilal Powell RB | NYJ
Tim Hightower RB | NO

I'm leaning more toward Bernard, but I'm not 100% set on him yet. Any thoughts?

toneroni

PPR league, I went heavy on WR and lost Dion Lewis for a while. Offered Ryan Matthews for Marvin Jones - should I take it?

Another player went auto draft and has 4 quality RBs. Should I try for Forte or JStew instead?

Shizza, I'd go Gio also with your last keeper

Anybody play Fantasy on Yahoo and got thrown in a league randomly? It seems like me and 9 other dudes were randomly chosen to form this league. I just noticed it a hour ago and it says I'm drafting in 13 minutes. It looks like I'm the only one present or maybe even the only one aware that it's happening. I work 2nd shift and always stay up really late so I'm just going to draft for fun while I'm still up. Just wondering if this happened to anybody else?

EDIT: I googled this out of curiosity. So it looks like accidentally joined a public league. I have no idea how I did this, but I did it apparently. Oh well, I'll just draft for fun and maybe not even touch it the rest of the season. Or maybe I'll care a little, but it's hard to care playing with a bunch of randoms for free.

wbsmcs

Looking for some thoughts on my last keeper:

Definitely keeping:
1. Odell Beckham WR | NYG
2. Jamaal Charles RB | KC
3. Allen Robinson WR | JAX

Trying to decide between one of the following:
Giovani Bernard RB | CIN
Bilal Powell RB | NYJ
Tim Hightower RB | NO

I'm leaning more toward Bernard, but I'm not 100% set on him yet. Any thoughts?

I would go Gio here. Injury to Jeremy Hill and he could be a top 10 back. Has a nice floor too because he catches passes.

Got my first draft done. It's interesting to see how strategies seem to be changing this year.

This is a 10-team PPR league. There was a run on WRs like I have never seen. AP didn't even go until late in round 1, Gronk was a #3 overall pick, and Gurley was a 2nd round pick. Good lord.

QB - Rogers
RB - Lacy
RB - CJ Anderson
WR - Julio
WR - TY Hilton
TE - Kelce
FLEX - Hurns
D/ST - Cardinals

PPR league, I went heavy on WR and lost Dion Lewis for a while. Offered Ryan Matthews for Marvin Jones - should I take it?

Another player went auto draft and has 4 quality RBs. Should I try for Forte or JStew instead?

Shizza, I'd go Gio also with your last keeper

I would try for forte or J stew, though forte will prob see a big reduction due to powell, I'm just not that high on Matthews...he is the only RB though for eagles which is great...sproles wont do diddly

SummitAve

Banned
I may just take Gronk first overall in my draft. There is enough WR depth to make up for not picking one of the top 3, and I'm not buying the increased TE depth this year.

I may just take Gronk first overall in my draft. There is enough WR depth to make up for not picking one of the top 3, and I'm not buying the increased TE depth this year.

But keep in mind that the Pats picked up Marcellus Bennett who is another top TE to play with Gronk. Might take some targets away from him especially until Brady gets back.

SummitAve

Banned
But keep in mind that the Pats picked up Marcellus Bennett who is another top TE to play with Gronk. Might take some targets away from him especially until Brady gets back.

Well if my memory of people talking on the radio is correct, Gronk's production was actually higher or it didn't make a difference when he was playing with Hernandez.

Had my draft last Saturday. Picked second 1st round but the order flips every round so picked second last 2nd round, second 3rd round and so on. Need to win £240 at stake 12 man league.

My team

QB Drew Brees
RB Jonathan Stewart
RB Isiah Crowell
WR Antonio Brown
WR Alshon Jeffery
Flex Golden Tate
TE Gary Barnidge
DEF Bengals
K Nick Novak

Bench
Kamar Aiken
Andy Dalton
DeAngelo Williams
Martellus Bennett

Well if my memory of people talking on the radio is correct, Gronk's production was actually higher or it didn't make a difference when he was playing with Hernandez.

I took Gronk first in a free ESPN league just to see how it would turn out. Looks like I ended up with a lot of RB depth, mediocre wide receivers outside of Cooper, and what should be a good QB1 this year with Luck. We'll see how it goes, but on paper it was my weakest draft.

VoxPop

So I have a draft in 2 days and I didn't do any research this year since I'm abroad right now. As the defending champion, I should be on top of my game :p

Could anyone link me to some good draft guides so I can do a quick study before it happens?

wbsmcs

So I have a draft in 2 days and I didn't do any research this year since I'm abroad right now. As the defending champion, I should be on top of my game :p

Could anyone link me to some good draft guides so I can do a quick study before it happens?

CBS sports fantasy football and ESPN have good podcasts. Listen to their position previews to get a decent grasp on the players.

Apart from that just read the articles on their site. Matthew Berry on ESPN has some decent stuff to read. His Love and Hate column is good for seeing who might be a bust or breakout this year, and his Draft Day Manifesto is good for just general knowledge.

Joe

How long before a draft does NFL.com randomize the draft order? Like 10 minutes before or an hour before?

Edit: NFL FAQ says 1 hour before.

uncblue

I just finished my draft and had the #4 pick. League is 10 man standard for the most part except 6pt qb tds.
Antonio Brown
Lamar Miller
Lesean McCoy
Andrew Luck
Jeremy Langford
Travis Kelce
Donte Moncrief
Ameer Abdullah
Stefon Dogs
Josh Gordon
Willie Snead
Jay Ajayi
Derek Carr
Christine Michael
What you guys think? I think I balanced solid players with some potential home runs.

Edwardo

I just finished my draft and had the #4 pick. League is 10 man standard for the most part except 6pt qb tds.
Antonio Brown
Lamar Miller
Lesean McCoy
Andrew Luck
Jeremy Langford
Travis Kelce
Donte Moncrief
Ameer Abdullah
Stefon Dogs
Josh Gordon
Willie Snead
Jay Ajayi
Derek Carr
Christine Michael
What you guys think? I think I balanced solid players with some potential home runs.

Who were the first three picks?

UberTag

Who were the first three picks?
Apparently they weren't Antonio Brown... which makes one wonder about the level of competition in said league.
Especially seeing how they also allowed Lamar Miller to slip all the way to Pick #17.

My draft is Sunday. I have 11th pick in a PPR league. Here are my options and possible scenarios for round 1 and 2:

1. Ezekiel Elliot / Lamar Miller
2. Ezekiel Elliot / AJ Green (low buzz on him for my league)
3. LaVeon / Miller
4. AJ Green / Miller
5. Green / Brandon Marshall

Ideally, I would want Zeke and AJ. I think the combination of Zeke and Miller could be LETHAL though. Maybe trying to grab Jordan Mathews and Amare Cooper coming back or a Kelvin Benjamin.

Beach

Please dont, there isn't that much of a difference with Gronk and the 10th rank TE anymore compared to other years. I don't get what you say about increased TE depth when it's a fact lol
In reality he isn't scoring that many points more compared to Reed or Olsen who you can grab three rounds later.

uncblue

Apparently they weren't Antonio Brown... which makes one wonder about the level of competition in said league.
Especially seeing how they also allowed Lamar Miller to slip all the way to Pick #17.

Gurley, Beckham, David Johnson.
It's probably 50/50 as far as knowledge. It just happened that the guys who know the most were at the ends of the snake. I was thinking I'd get Lacy with second pick. Both picks caught me off guard with the obvious players still there.

uncblue

My draft is Sunday. I have 11th pick in a PPR league. Here are my options and possible scenarios for round 1 and 2:

1. Ezekiel Elliot / Lamar Miller
2. Ezekiel Elliot / AJ Green (low buzz on him for my league)
3. LaVeon / Miller
4. AJ Green / Miller
5. Green / Brandon Marshall

Ideally, I would want Zeke and AJ. I think the combination of Zeke and Miller could be LETHAL though. Maybe trying to grab Jordan Mathews and Amare Cooper coming back or a Kelvin Benjamin.

I would go with Zeke and AJ but I would be satisfied with any of those guys other than Marshall. I would def take Cooper if he's still around 3rd round. He had a solid rookie season and I think he'll end top 10 wr this year.

ScythD

We have a couple slots left in our FF league if anyone is interested. Lots of current and former GAF personalities. $50 buy-in and we plan on drafting September 5th. Message me if you're interested.

I just completed drafting a team in my 2nd league a few hours ago. It's a 12 man league but some guys honestly had no idea what they were doing while others made very questionable picks despite being decently knowledgeable about football in general. We had a guy that drafted Greg Olsen, Julian Edelman, and Larry Fitzgerald in that exact order in the first 3 rounds. We had another guy take Ted Ginn Jr in the 2nd and another guy took Kelvin Benjamin in the 2nd. Most of their picks looked sane but they would have a few that would make you think "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?".

I drafted 11th and I got Leveon Bell and Allen Robinson with my first 2 picks. But because of all the wacky picks Mike Evans fell to me at the end of the 3rd round. Then I got Rawls, Arian Foster, Moncrief, John Brown, Brees, and Marvin Jones from 4 through 9. I kind of feel like I'm in a 9 man league because 3 guys drafted so poorly with a few other guys also making questionable decisions.

VoxPop

CBS sports fantasy football and ESPN have good podcasts. Listen to their position previews to get a decent grasp on the players.

Apart from that just read the articles on their site. Matthew Berry on ESPN has some decent stuff to read. His Love and Hate column is good for seeing who might be a bust or breakout this year, and his Draft Day Manifesto is good for just general knowledge.

Thanks man. Doing some last minute research before my flight. :)

I asked another guy if he wanted Todd Gurley and Dwayne Allen for Leveon Bell and Jordan Reed. He sent a counter offer that included those 4 but he wanted Sammy Watkins from me for Jordan Matthews. My offer gave the edge slightly to me IMO. His offer puts it slight now in his favor. I think this would be considered an even trade after week 3 though as long as everybody performs according to expectation.

Any thoughts though on this? Should I go for it it or not?

The Llama

I'm doing an auction draft tomorrow and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, oh god please help me.

(I mean I'm a big football fan but know nothing really about fantasy)

I just finished the draft for my money league. Feels like I'm going to be stealing their money.

QB- Brees
RB- Lacy
RB- J. Stewart
WR- Brown
WR- Hopkins
FLEX- A. Robinson
TE- Kelce
K- Tucker
DEF- Raiders
QB2- Bortles
QB3- Mariota
WR3- Cobb
WR4- Moncrief
RB3- Gordon
RB4- Henry
TE2- Miller

Had my first draft today, unfortunately it happened to be while I was hiking in CO with family so I was a bit distracted. Thoughts on what I threw together?

QB - Bortles
RB - J. Stewart
RB - Forte
WR - AJ Green
WR - Dez Bryant
TE - D Walker
Flex - G. Tate
Flex - V. Jackson
DP - Lavonte David
Def - Pats
K - Vinatieri

Bench:
Duke Johnson
Bilal Powell
Tevon Coleman
Antonio Gates
Derek Carr
Spencer Ware

Edit - 12 person league, I drafted eighth.

Jims

Completed my first fantasy draft of the year and ended up with both Le'Veon Bell and Tom Brady. Weeks 1-3 are kind of terrifying. Really really banking that Kirk Cousins and Jeremy Langford will be a thing this season, at least for the early going. This could backfire spectacularly.

What do people think about the Browns' backfield this year? I was thinking about how Alfred Morris had some solid years with a mobile QB like RG3. I ended up nabbing Crowell, but could see Duke Johnson get a lot of checkdowns. The Browns are probably going to be really inconsistent on offense but maybe there's something there.

GrapeApes

I just finished the draft for my money league. Feels like I'm going to be stealing their money.

QB- Brees
RB- Lacy
RB- J. Stewart
WR- Brown
WR- Hopkins
FLEX- A. Robinson
TE- Kelce
K- Tucker
DEF- Raiders
QB2- Bortles
QB3- Mariota
WR3- Cobb
WR4- Moncrief
RB3- Gordon
RB4- Henry
TE2- Miller
Why you carrying 3 QBs? Is this a 2QB league?

Completed my first fantasy draft of the year and ended up with both Le'Veon Bell and Tom Brady. Weeks 1-3 are kind of terrifying. Really really banking that Kirk Cousins and Jeremy Langford will be a thing this season, at least for the early going. This could backfire spectacularly.

I think you should be okay. Kirk plays in the NFC Least and Langford is one of few options for the Bears, so you just have to ride them a few weeks and then either you have a great second QB or you can toss Kirk in the fire and enjoy the free waiver spot that opened up on your bench. Besides, you'll get Brady fully rested and ready to kill the league.

What do people think about the Browns' backfield this year? I was thinking about how Alfred Morris had some solid years with a mobile QB like RG3. I ended up nabbing Crowell, but could see Duke Johnson get a lot of checkdowns. The Browns are probably going to be really inconsistent on offense but maybe there's something there.

I drafted Crowell last year and it was basically throwing away a draft pick, but the bottom line is they finally have a quarterback who has played some professional football in the past. And a receiver who has played some professional football! They already have a better offense than the Titans! There is really no reason why even if the Browns RBs are mediocre, they should be mediocre +25% over last season.

I like Crowell more because all he has really done last season and this preseason is prove he should start. He's not flashy but gets the yards while Duke styles on the bench. As long as RG3 stays alive he is totally a flex option, but probably matchup dependent because the Browns are still going to get killed against some opponents.

Why you carrying 3 QBs? Is this a 2QB league?

No one picked up Bortles and I figured he could be used as trade bait if he puts up the stats he did last year. Also, I may alternate him and Brees throughout the season based on the matchup. I would've taken him as my QB2, but they have the same bye week.

GrapeApes

No one picked up Bortles and I figured he could be used as trade bait if he puts up the stats he did last year. Also, I may alternate him and Brees throughout the season based on the matchup. I would've taken him as my QB2, but they have the same bye week.

Nobody trades for QBs.
Yeah pretty much. I was trying to shop Brees all last year. No one is gonna trade for QB when you can grab a decent replacement off waivers. Unless you in a really deep league or a 2QB league trade bait ain't gonna fly.

Yeah pretty much. I was trying to shop Brees all last year. No one is gonna trade for QB when you can grab a decent replacement off waivers. Unless you in a really deep league or a 2QB league trade bait ain't gonna fly.

I was in two leagues last year where I got someone to trade for QBs. Got a couple of offers for Tyrod Taylor and Winston when I picked them up as 3rd QBs.

I have my first ever auction draft tomorrow and I'm woefully unprepared. Thankfully I think this is most league members' first auction draft, so we'll all be a little apprehensive.

Top Bottom