• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016, yeah, it did suck, for us folks getting older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toparaman

Banned
I don't think new music is shit, far from it, but it is a question I've asked myself.

In terms of rock music- who's the next GnR? The next Hendrix, the next Boston, the next ___________. The big arena sellouts now are electronic artists (and whoo boy their shows are amazing).

Right now I can come up with Muse? Coldplay too, probably. Any other big rock acts that still sell arenas and are still putting out relevant albums/music?

Seems like the trajectory of popular music is going to be electronic focused for a long while. Totally cool with that, but would still love some big rock acts that we'll talk about in thirty years!

Rock is creatively dead. It's been around for over 50 years, was hugely popular for most of that time, and there's only so much you can do with the core instrumentation of rock. Everything that can be done with rock has been done.

You might as well ask for the next crop of big jazz acts. Ain't gonna happen. All genres stagnate eventually. It'll happen to hip-hop in about two or three decades. Enjoy the hundreds (if not thousands) of great rock records already existing.

This is funny and all, but I think it both undersells the effort put into the music and doesn't address any other genre in my original post

No worries, bud. I actually agree with your original post completely and I think vaporwave is cool as hell.

Kevyt

Why are some of the bands/singer's names repeated??

Also, if you're only just listening to English music, you're missing out.

Where are the next Mylene Farmer, Edith Piaf, Gustav Alfonse, Hedra Gutschev, Camilo Sesto, Alessandro Milan, etc....?

The world of music does not only revolve around English.

all those artists you listed come from times when music was more valued than it is now

theres way more entertainment options available at peoples fingertips

its not to say theres no more great music just that its not as culturally relevant anymore

Everyone got old as fuck in 2016, and those who didn't either died, or they don't know my pop culture references. It's never been as bad as this.

Liljagare

Why are some of the bands/singer's names repeated??

Also, if you're only just listening to English music, you're missing out.

Where are the next Mylene Farmer, Edith Piaf, Gustav Alfonse, Hedra Gutschev, Camilo Sesto, Alessandro Milan, etc....?

The world of music does not only revolve around English.

Go back and read again.

And then we got the old bands coming back again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsO8kItp4iE

Where is the new music? Where is the new music styles?

2016 has been a shit year for me, but it has nothing to do with being older, or the number of celebrity deaths that occurred.

cordy

Banned
Hip-Hop is in a great place right now, more and more movie stars who can act are in place to take up the mantle of their older peers.

2016 sucked becuase a shit ton of talent was lost, talent that can't be replaced, but the world advances. There might not be another Prince again, but his music lived on and there are more artists out there who create wonderful music to listen to.
We got Yeezy.

Kevyt

But still, since 1990, what are any new music styles?

What new styles have our youth brought?

What about K-pop though? 🤔

What about depressed pop music from the likes of Lana Del Rey? I mean her music is quite the style in my opinion, my mom always jokes that her music puts her to sleep. I don't recall any other artist of a similar style as LDR?

That counts...?

Liljagare

What about K-pop though? 🤔

What about depressed pop music from the likes of Lana Del Rey? I mean her music is quite the style in my opinion, my mom always jokes that her music puts her to sleep. I don't recall any other artist of a similar style as LDR?

That counts...?

I think N-trance got that beat.

Hyun Sai

The only thing the youngsters will never know is the insane decade before the thousand year apocalypse. 1990s were awesome.

collige

Banned
Just literarly type that into google search?

Ya daft or?

The point is that they didn't exist before then, which is why I asked you for examples. If you think stuff like this or this or this or even extraordinarily mainstream stuff like Skrillex is just the same old stuff then I don't really know what to say.

The point is that they didn't exist before then, which is why I asked you for examples. If you think stuff like this or this or this or even extraordinarily mainstream stuff like Skrillex is just the same old stuff then I don't really know what to say.

Keep fighting the good fight but this is a "my mind is already made up" thread if I've ever seen one

All these groups put together bodies of works over decades. We're looking in hindsight.

There's also a survivorship bias here. Many mediocre groups are not remembered either, so you're filtering the garbage from that era too.
This, music has been great this year for me

Liljagare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0IZF7-k8M

watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1akxy51P8

There's a ton of people that are just as talented as those guys, probably even more.

People don't have to just listen and like what's on the radio anymore so they are more spread out and not as big as the old stars.

My list of people would probably be very different from someone elses while people used to have pretty much the same list.

Liljagare

There's a ton of people that are just as talented as those guys probably even more.

People don't have to just listen and like what's on the radio anymore so they are more spread out and not as big as the old stars.

Look at the dates of those songs.

highrider

Banned
I'm old, and I think there is quite a bit of high quality new music. But the general quality of popular music is quite a bit worse.

I think singles have become the focus, and there are very few complete albums of quality music anymore. Also live performance has suffered tremendously. Most popular acts didn't cut their teeth playing live, if anything the tour comes after you make hit records.

It's a broken record but it's true, you have to seek out good music much more now. It's tough for older cats because in our youth you didn't have to look far. Radio was more diverse and took more risks.

McLovin

Can't convince me 2016 wasn't awful, my mom died this month(cancer), my step dad had multiple strokes and is stuck in a home. Said home is taking his pensions so he was gonna lose the house. I moved in last year to take care of my mom and my stepdads kids somehow removed my mom from the mortgage and put themselves in. Today I just got a letter from them demanding rent like I have a lease with them. Fuck 2016.

SFenton

Rock is creatively dead. It's been around for over 50 years, was hugely popular for most of that time, and there's only so much you can do with the core instrumentation of rock. Everything that can be done with rock has been done.

You might as well ask for the next crop of big jazz acts. Ain't gonna happen. All genres stagnate eventually. It'll happen to hip-hop in about two or three decades. Enjoy the hundreds (if not thousands) of great rock records already existing.

This is also pretty true, though I don't like admitting it. There's a lot of great acts right now- Gary Clark Jr., The Black Keys, Jack White, etc., but yes, it seems unlikely that rock will ever experience a huge boom again. Frankly, so long as we get new and great/interesting music out of people- and interesting mashups of electronic and rock like Imagine Dragons- I'll be thoroughly pleased.

The jazz comparison is an apt one. I can't think of a single big recent jazz artist, though admittedly I don't listen to jazz.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Where is the next Alphaville, Kraftwerk, Roxette, Abba, Europe, Boy George, Wham, Def Leppard, U-96, White Lion, Dire Straits, Gun N Roses, Bon Jovi, Mötley Crew, Def Leppard, Poison, Van Halen, ELO, Duran Duran, Aerosmith, Depecho Mode, Metallica, Ratt, The Cure, Queen, U2, Whitesnake, A-ha, Tears for Fears, The Police, INXS, R.E.M, Judas Priest, Blondie, KISS, Culture Club, Eurythmics, A Flock Of Seagulls, Talking Heads, The Clash, Scorpions, Nirvana, The Cars, Stryper, Pink ´Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Gree day, RadioHead, Nine Inch Nails, Backstreet boys, Guns n' Roses, Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Foo fighters, U2, The Cranberries, Beastie Boys, Blink-182, Spice Girls, Sonic Youth, NSYNC, Bon Jovi, Candlebox, Kent.

You listed U2 twice BTW.

...on second thought, considering how different their output in the 90s were, I'll allow it.

I_D

Djent, but as per usual white people appropriated that, too. Poor bulb.

Meshuggah has been playing djent since Bulb was like 5 years old, so he definitely wasn't the first. There's probably some before Meshuggah too, but I'm not familiar enough with the genre to give examples.

If people are looking for modern Rock n Roll, I recommend checking out some jam bands, and the occasional traditional guitarist, cause they're about as close as we're going to get nowadays.

Joe Bonamassa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMNVyuqmwo

Pimps of Joytime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si2RhvFOBzE

Papadosio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XubLXDkOL7M

I realize these are pale imitations of the 70's/80's classics, but they're the best I can do.

What really hurts me is rap music. Hip-hop is a heaping pile of trash nowadays with very few exceptions.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
You don't think people are going to be crying about the death of Lady Gaga, Skrillex, Kanye, etc?

"2046 has claimed another victim :( :(" etc etc

Their fans will, the word at large, will not.

There is a difference here that some people don't seem to fully grasp.

None of those names you listed made the kind of broad cultural impact several of the artists who died this year did.

To put it this way: They all got where they are by climbing on the shoulders of giants such as those we lost this year.

Sure there is great music being made today, and a lot of it. I find new and awesome stuff all the time. None of it, however, has any of the originality and identity of the genredefining artists from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The era of the giants is drawing to a close. The way I see it, the "fuck 2016" comes from a place of hopelessness. Many people have lost more than one of their life long heroes this year, it has become a bit much.

SFenton

Their fans will, the word at large, will not.

I'm not much of a Kanye or Lady Gaga fan but the impact both has had on popular music has been undoubtedly huge. You will, in fact, see musicians inspired by them become famous- they are hugely influential artists.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not much of a Kanye or Lady Gaga fan but the impact both has had on popular music has been undoubtedly huge. You will, in fact, see musicians inspired by them become famous- they are hugely influential artists.

Sure they're huge, but their impact is marginal at best compared to artists such as prince and bowie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom