• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Diverse Nancy returns?!

NBC has put in development Nancy Drew, a drama inspired by the famous children’s books, from Doubt creators Tony Phelan and Joan Rater, producer Dan Jinks and CBS TV Studios.

This is the same creative team that was behind the 2016 CBS pilot of the same name. But beyond the title and the underlying source material, there is very little in common between the projects as the NBC is based on a brand new idea by Phelan and Rater.

Written by the duo, in NBC’s Nancy Drew, when the author of the most famous female teen detective book series is thrust into a real-life murder mystery, who does she turn to for help? Her two best friends from childhood, who were the inspiration for all those books, and the women who have a real axe to grind about the way their supposed best friend chose to portray them all those years ago.

The series is about Nancy getting back together with her girlfriends as they all are now women of a certain age, in their 40s or 50s, and, overcoming the inevitable bad blood, they pull on their strength, which is their knack for solving mysteries together.

I must say that this is a much better concept than the one CBS had in development years ago. Also, something something 50+ audience.

berzeli

Banned
Netflix is taking over the world:
Netflix Gains 5.3M Global Subs In Q3 As Stock Sets Record
The Netflix juggernaut shows few signs of slowing. After the close of trading today, the company reported a 49% year-over-year increase in global subscribers in the third quarter.

The global tally now stands at 104 million. In the quarter, Netflix added 850,000 new customers in the U.S., to hit 52.77 million overall, and internationally it signed up 4.45 million for a total of 56.48 million.
No but seriously they are:
Netflix Plans 80 Movies In 2018, Up From 8 In Current Quarter; “People Will Start Seeing The Potential” [I think there is an implied "...or else" in there]
Aiming for a level of output not seen since the two-reeler silent movie days, Netflix plans to put out a new original movie on average every four and a half days in 2018, for an eye-popping total of 80 releases, content chief Ted Sarandos said after today’s release of third-quarter earnings.

Also in news that are only relevant to me and memles:
Shame’ Gets European Remake Roll-Out from NRK, Beta Film
NRK’s “Skam” (Shame), an unprecedented Norwegian cult web-TV hit that attained the Holy Grail of broadcasting – a reconquering of teen auds – is now set for national remakes in five of Europe’s key TV territories: Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands.

In a first European roll-out of the milestone blog-style web series, orchestrated by Norwegian pubcaster NRK and Beta Film, which handle international on “Shame,” Banijay Studios France is preparing screenplays in partnership with France Télévisions, aiming to go into production in 2017.

Bantry Bay and ZDF/Funk are preparing a German makeover, Telefonica’s Movistar + the Spanish retread, while NTR will produce a Dutch reversion for the Netherlands’ NRT/NPO; in Italy, Rome-based Cross Productions aims to go into production for Timvision, the VOD service of Italia Telecom, by the end of the year.
This is in addition to the US remake that is already in the works! So that's six remakes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix Plans 80 Movies In 2018, Up From 8 In Current Quarter; “People Will Start Seeing The Potential”

Netflix plans to put out a new original movie on average every four and a half days in 2018

Holy fuck.

This is in addition to the US remake that is already in the works! So that's six remakes.

Crazy!

Netflix is taking over the world:
Netflix Gains 5.3M Global Subs In Q3 As Stock Sets Record

Netflix Plans 80 Movies In 2018, Up From 8 In Current Quarter; “People Will Start Seeing The Potential” [I think there is an implied "...or else" in there]

And 7 of those 80 will be decent.
Actually, still a good value proposition lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How the hell did this get through any number of people who must have seen this before it was sent to broadcast?
79teRYSl.jpg

TFoBMnWl.jpg
Dat mat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looking at it again, I have to assume that stunt was meant to be a close up of the guy falling but the camera operator or someone forgot, and then when they went to edit it, they didn't have any footage so they just said "fuck it" and hoped no one would notice. lol

Looking at it again, I have to assume that stunt was meant to be a close up of the guy falling but the camera operator or someone forgot, and then when they went to edit it, they didn't have any footage so they just said "fuck it" and hoped no one would notice. lol

LOL, I was going to say crop and stretch or something at least but I guess that could make it even more noticeable.
Probably not worth the time and effort to try doing more than that I guess lol.

Is that David Boreanz from SEAL Team?
Gif I posted is SEAL Team, image is The Brave(looks to be the MC which is the main guy from Under the Dome.)
Its a joke as they were supposed to be competitors but SEAL Team mostly has it in the bag besides working on supporting cast.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So many filmmakers are going to get suckered into taking Netflix money, but then they'll realize the movie will get no real promotion and have next to zero award chances. It's becoming a rung below straight to video

How the hell did this get through any number of people who must have seen this before it was sent to broadcast?

Dat mat.

Im watching the episode right now, man whoever is directing this episode is horrendous.

Mat on the floor
Guy getting hit by a rifle butt that is clearly a solid foot away from him + included sound effect
MC pushing past the Afghan security guard who just trips backwards and disappears.

Edit: just got to that scene, was edited on NBC here at least.

ZeroX03

Banned
Honestly how the fuck do you navigate the new AV Club? It's fucked up that now not every TV show review is in the TV section. You either have to search for shows or go to the dedicated review section because the layout can't sustain having a simple little box with all the latest reviews like the old layout. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

Oh wow they zoomed and cropped. lol

Now I really want to know what happened. I wonder if they saw this and fixed it for the NBC broadcast but didn't care about what they sent out to international markets.

Crazy that it got that far.

Should have edited the guard scene a bit as well, had to rewind it like 5 times trying to make out what happened and finally just gave up figuring he got shot without effects or the actor emoting it.

Honestly how the fuck do you navigate the new AV Club? It's fucked up that now not every TV show review is in the TV section. You either have to search for shows or go to the dedicated review section because the layout can't sustain having a simple little box with all the latest reviews like the old layout. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

There have been reviews that are in the TV Club section, but not in the TV Review section as well. It's a giant cluster-fuck.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
CW Premiere Week Ratings Watch!

The Flash 1.1 (season three finale was 1.13; season three premiere was 1.26)
Riverdale 0.8 (season one finale was 0.41; season one premiere was 0.51)
Supernatural 0.7 (season 12 finale was 0.58; season 12 premiere was 0.83)
Arrow 0.6 (season five finale was 0.61; season five premiere was 0.7)
Legends of Tomorrow 0.6 (season two finale was 0.56; season two premiere was 0.64)
Supergirl 0.5 (season two finale was 0.63; season two premiere was 1.09)
Dynasty 0.4
Valor 0.3
Jane the Virgin 0.3 (season three finale was 0.35; season three premiere was 0.4)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.2 (season two finale was 0.24; season two premiere was 0.18)

I used the final, adjusted numbers.

[edit] And here are the Monday ratings:

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-16.MON_.png

Busty

Banned
I'm surprised that The Gifted is holding well while Lucifer seems to be looking softer. Between this and Orville Fox seems to be proving a lot of people wrong..., for now.

Can the CW squeeze in another show on Friday night?

Seems like Valor is gonna join the JTV and CEX club.

Eep.

I don't think the parents of the cast members are even watching this show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I just found out that CBS ended up buying Network Ten in Australia back in the summer. I guess American networks are thinking that it's better to own the content and the broadcast platforms than to sell their content off?

So I'm guessing our first cancellation is coming down to Valor vs 10 Days in the Valley
Who is your money on

Definitely 10 days in the Valley. The CW at least lets shows slowly die until the very end of the season where ABC will pull you off in a heartbeat and fill the slot with reruns of AFV or Greys Anatomy.

Top Bottom