• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So I'm guessing our first cancellation is coming down to Valor vs 10 Days in the Valley
Who is your money on

Ten Days. I was actually expecting ABC to have just yanked it by now.

berzeli

Banned
lol Snapchat is at MipCom trying to do the whole "Snapchat original shows" thing again,
~~Because it went so well the last time.~~
And honestly I wouldn't write about this but I stumbled across a video from their presentation and it is aggressively awful. Trigger warning: It uses the term "snapchatters" as if it was a thing.
So I just found out that CBS ended up buying Network Ten in Australia back in the summer. I guess American networks are thinking that it's better to own the content and the broadcast platforms than to sell their content off?
Yes having it all in house (production+distribution) is usually more profitable. Also Network Ten was coming off a stint of mismanagement (courtesy of a Murdoch) so it was ""cheap"".

Zalasta

I don't know about you all but I am getting a bit tired of JTV and CExG. Neither shows feel fun any more, the direction they are taking is ludicrous even by their own standards. Just does not have the same magic and quirkiness as the first season. At this point, I'd be ok if they are not renewed after this year.

CW Premiere Week Ratings Watch!

The Flash 1.1 (season three finale was 1.13; season three premiere was 1.26)
Riverdale 0.8 (season one finale was 0.41; season one premiere was 0.51)
Supernatural 0.7 (season 12 finale was 0.58; season 12 premiere was 0.83)
Arrow 0.6 (season five finale was 0.61; season five premiere was 0.7)
Legends of Tomorrow 0.6 (season two finale was 0.56; season two premiere was 0.64)
Supergirl 0.5 (season two finale was 0.63; season two premiere was 1.09)
Dynasty 0.4
Valor 0.3
Jane the Virgin 0.3 (season three finale was 0.35; season three premiere was 0.4)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.2 (season two finale was 0.24; season two premiere was 0.18)

I used the final, adjusted numbers.

CW seems to be doing quite well with their existing shows. Outside of that insane Riverdale bump its impressive how well their other shows are holding steady.

Except for Supergirl.

Busty

Banned
lol Snapchat is at MipCom trying to do the whole "Snapchat original shows" thing again,
And honestly I wouldn't write about this but I stumbled across a video from their presentation and it is aggressively awful. Trigger warning: It uses the term "snapchatters" as if it was a thing.

I know professionals who are getting ready to pitch script 'stuff' to Snapchat.

Mindboggling.

It's been consuming my thoughts so much recently I was toying with the idea of starting a web series OT to stick all this stuff in.

maxcriden

I don't know about you all but I am getting a bit tired of JTV and CExG. Neither shows feel fun any more, the direction they are taking is ludicrous even by their own standards. Just does not have the same magic and quirkiness as the first season. At this point, I'd be ok if they are not renewed after this year.

We dropped JTV after the big you know what last season. Felt like a totally different show after. And there was no longer an story end goal to root for in the same way. (Note: I am not talking about Jane
no longer being a virgin,
but rather
the death of her husband Michael.
)

Penguin

Yes having it all in house (production+distribution) is usually more profitable. Also Network Ten was coming off a stint of mismanagement (courtesy of a Murdoch) so it was ""cheap"".

I... don't know why Snapchat wants to get into that

Like nothing about their platform screams I wanna see this show

Linkura

We dropped JTV after the big you know what last season. Felt like a totally different show after. And there was no longer an story end goal to root for in the same way. (Note: I am not talking about Jane
no longer being a virgin,
but rather
the death of her husband Michael.
)
We did as well, shortly after. Even though
Michael sucked, the show just plain wasn't as good.

Mindwipe

So I'm guessing our first cancellation is coming down to Valor vs 10 Days in the Valley
Who is your money on

There are probably a few international sales for Valor to justify finishing it off, and CW don't have any thing to replace it with likely to do much better.

Neither of those two saving graces apply to 10 Days.

maxcriden

We did as well, shortly after. Even though
Michael sucked, the show just plain wasn't as good.

Oh wow, you guys dropped it too? I didn't realize that. We liked
Michael
more than you did, but very much agreed, the show was nowhere near as compelling afterwards. :( Which sucks because it was one of our go-to shows.

Aiii

So not worth it
I dropped every CW show I was still watching except Riverdale and Flash, probably won't last that much longer on the latter, but I like the actors so why not give it a shot for a little while.

Most of that is superhero fatigue though, I have little interest in watching any superhero movies or shows rn.

JTV and Crazy are shows I haven't really missed while they were gone, so now is a good time to eliminate them and free up some time.

Soulfire

I'm just going to wait until JtV is on Netflix to watch the most recent season. I agree after
Michael's death it just wasn't the same. I liked him and wasn't really a fan of how they ended last season.

Sean

Banned
ABC should just release the remaining episodes of Ten Days in the Valley on their app and treat it as an "exclusive streaming series" / binge watch type thing.

Seems preferable to burning off the episodes on Saturday nights during the Summer or whatever. Fans get closure, network gets to push their app/streaming service, etc. Not sure why this isn't a common practice these days.

ABC should just release the remaining episodes of Ten Days in the Valley on their app and treat it as an "exclusive streaming series" / binge watch type thing.

Seems preferable to burning off the episodes on Saturday nights during the Summer or whatever. Fans get closure, network gets to push their app/streaming service, etc. Not sure why this isn't a common practice these days.

If people are not watching on tv, then I dont think people really search out the show on the app.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wtf is Slasher, also wtf is Chiller.

You guys have way too many channels man :(

berzeli

Banned

He doesn't!

9CK5htr.png

Linkura

Oh wow, you guys dropped it too? I didn't realize that. We liked
Michael
more than you did, but very much agreed, the show was nowhere near as compelling afterwards. :( Which sucks because it was one of our go-to shows.

The fact that I got my husband to watch a romantic comedy show as much as I did was a minor miracle in itself. Was fun while it lasted.

T5WdaRF.jpg

Hopefully this a turnaround point for Amazon Studios in more ways than one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
wtf is Slasher, also wtf is Chiller.

You guys have way too many channels man :(

And yet most of them just air Law & Order: SVU marathons. Chiller is a horror specific channel. Really just old syndicated episodes of sci-fi/horror tv shows and horror films. It's almost entirely pointless with Netflix being what it is...

We used to have a detective show specific channel called Sleuth aka Cloo. They did all day House M.D. marathons, which was cool.

Sean

Banned
If people are not watching on tv, then I dont think people really search out the show on the app.

The (admittedly tiny) audience watching it would want to see how the story ends though. And having all the episodes available might even convince some fence-sitters to sample the show.

Dunno, to me it seems like a decent way to somewhat salvage a failed TV series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix has released a list of their most “binge-raced” series (i.e. those shows where viewers watched a full season in a single day or less)

Here are the top 20 Netflix originals with seasons watched within the first 24 hours:

1. Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life
2. Fuller House
3. Marvel's The Defenders
4. The Seven Deadly Sins
5. The Ranch
6. Santa Clarita Diet
7. Trailer Park Boys
8. F Is for Family
9. Orange Is the New Black
10. Stranger Things
11. Friends From College
12. Atypical
13. Grace and Frankie
14. Wet Hot American Summer
15. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
16. House of Cards
17. Love
18. GLOW
19. Chewing Gum
20. Master of None

8.4 million viewers have watched at least one season of one Netflix original series within 24 hours of its release. It's a practice that the streamer says has been around since it started releasing its own series, but one that has gained steam and multiplied by twentyfold between 2013 and 2016.

It also cites that there are five U.S. Netflix subscribers who've watched all of House of Cards' first five seasons within a day of their release. And Canadians apparently top Americans in their fondness for the 24-hour binge (their show of choice is, naturally, the northern comedy Trailer Park Boys).

Source #2

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No fucking way.
Way! lol

I wonder if it works the other way. I really think Australian Masterchef and Australian Survivor are infinitely superior to their American counterparts, and it would be hilarious if they just aired those on CBS as burn off summer shows to fill time. I wonder if they can even do that. lol
(Hell, just air Australian Bachelor as well because why not lol)

There was an entire Jane the Virgin interlude in this thread and I missed it?

angry.gif

But as hard as it is for me to admit, the show needs to end and let Gina join Tatiana Maslany in the land of incredible television actresses who should've been in movies a long ass time ago. It really has nothing else to communicate, and already did its job for CW.

berzeli

Banned
Not well would be my guess.
I think I have explained how Skam works before but I'll go over it again;
Short clips are uploaded "in real time" (i.e. a clip that takes place on Tuesday 2pm gets uploaded on Tuesday at 2pm). With all of the week's clips being folded into an episode at the end of each week.
There are also social media posts uploaded in the same manner which are made by the characters. So each character have instagram accounts, etc.

So it plays to the supposed strength of Facebook, but I wonder how their Facebook Watch service will be integrated in Facebook/instagram. Even if (and that's a big if) the show is good it can't surmount a bad service.

edit: From Deadline's article so y'all can understand just how big Skam was:
The show, which debuted on NRK platforms in 2015, uses narratives in real time with unknown actors and scripts that are geared to a 16 year-old audience with a focus on teen issues. The show scored huge ratings among young and adult audiences in Scandinavia, growing its weekly audience from 24K to 1.262M (Norway has a total population of 5M) and outperformed many TV and streaming primetime hits in the territory. Episode length varies from 17-50 minutes.
2nd edit: you know what, burn it all down:
ATSeZti.png

What could possibly go wrong Facebook? You can't say you did notsee it coming considering Youtube's issues with advertisers and the content they chose to not curate.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yo, Gilmore Girls in #1! I'm definitely guilty of binge-ing that one in less than a day.

It's also an easier binge at only 6 hours than most of those.

It was also an ‘ending’ to the series sixteen years on. The final four words hype was huge. In retrospect maybe it was better we didn’t get them lol.

Further continuation anytime soon isnt happening anytime soon as Amazon snapped up Amy and Dan for years with the multi season pickup and development deal. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’s pilot is phenomenal and everyone should check it out when it drops Nov 29th.

chadskin

Further continuation anytime soon isnt happening anytime soon as Amazon snapped up Amy and Dan for years with the multi season pickup and development deal. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’s pilot is phenomenal and everyone should check it out when it drops Nov 29th.

Actually, Amy could make more Gilmore episodes despite the Amazon deal: http://tvline.com/2017/09/26/gilmore-girls-second-revival-netflix-amy-sherman-palladino/

According to multiple sources, the pact — which calls for Team Palladino to develop new series for Amazon beyond their upcoming dramedy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel — includes an “out” clause that would allow the pair to spearhead a follow-up to last year’s Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life for Netflix. Of course, that’s hardly a guarantee that there will be a second revival. I’m told the clause was included in case the stars aligned creatively (i.e. Amy and Dan felt inspired to pen a “sequel” and any/all potential scheduling hurdles could be cleared).

berzeli

Banned
I wonder if it works the other way. I really think Australian Masterchef and Australian Survivor are infinitely superior to their American counterparts, and it would be hilarious if they just aired those on CBS as burn off summer shows to fill time. I wonder if they can even do that. lol
(Hell, just air Australian Bachelor as well because why not lol)
The other way meaning Aus produced things for the US or? I'm not really following.
Sure it is possible they could send shows back across the pond, but I was mainly focusing on the business side and whether or not it is better to have a middleman (and usually that answer is no), same reason why shows being produced by the networks own studios fare a better chance at getting renewed than shows made by external production studios.

also, via Variety:
There was also much discussion about CBS’ surprising move to acquire Australia’s Network Ten out of bankruptcy, and what that will mean for Australia’s traditionally insular TV business.

The consensus was CBS swooped in on a massive bargain in securing valuable broadcast spectrum and a digital presence in the country that should make it easier for CBS to introduce its All Access subscription service in Oz.

“We think the connection between CBS and Ten will be great,” said CBS Studios International president Armando Nunez. “We look forward to connecting those dots.”

Aiii

So not worth it
I tried, far longer as most of everyone, but Iris just made the most contrived "run, barry, run" ever, and I hate that line to begin with. I'm done with this show.

Patryn

I think I have explained how Skam works before but I'll go over it again;
Short clips are uploaded "in real time" (i.e. a clip that takes place on Tuesday 2pm gets uploaded on Tuesday at 2pm). With all of the week's clips being folded into an episode at the end of each week.
There are also social media posts uploaded in the same manner which are made by the characters. So each character have instagram accounts, etc.

So it plays to the supposed strength of Facebook, but I wonder how their Facebook Watch service will be integrated in Facebook/instagram. Even if (and that's a big if) the show is good it can't surmount a bad service.

edit: From Deadline's article so y'all can understand just how big Skam was:

The format and its popularity in another country have no bearing on my opinion. I don't believe people in the US (at least) are inclined to consume media in that format on Facebook (and likely won't be looking for it) and I totally expect it to bomb hard core.

Feel free to quote this post if it becomes a massive phenomenon over here, though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The other way meaning Aus produced things for the US or? I'm not really following.
Sure it is possible they could send shows back across the pond, but I was mainly focusing on the business side and whether or not it is better to have a middleman (and usually that answer is no), same reason why shows being produced by the networks own studios fare a better chance at getting renewed than shows made by external production studios.

also, via Variety:

Yeah, it's strange because Masterchef Australia is probably the most sold version of Masterchef in international markets, but it doesn't air in North America in any channel. I have no idea who "owns" licensed formats (Ten, or the original license holder?) but it would be neat if CBS suddenly had access to all this Australian content that they could dump on All Access, if nothing else, to expose people here to it.

Although, right now I watch Ten shows for free via their website... so more likely they'll just put everything behind a paywall and I'm screwed since I'm not going to subscribe to an Australian-only version of All Access.

Grizzlyjin

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-17.TUE_.png

I wonder if The CW will ever have another hit as big as The Flash. Maybe Riverdale's audience will keep growing and get there?

KonradLaw

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-17.TUE_.png

I wonder if The CW will ever have another hit as big as The Flash. Maybe Riverdale's audience will keep growing and get there?

They will when they get Hellblazer tv shows, combining the appeals of both Supernatural and Arrowverse audiences!

No, they probably won't have anything as big as Flash was :D

Top Bottom