• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From an interview with James Badge Dale:

Yeah, there is a lost episode to Rubicon. Henry Bromell wrote a final episode that was like scorched earth. It was unbelievable. And we started to film and we were shut down. And AMC was like, ”Wait a minute, we can't do it this way." And they made us do a different last episode that kind of left it open-ended, as if we were going to come back. And Henry Bromell, God rest his soul, there's a safe somewhere in this world that has the real final episode of Rubicon.

FUCK

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-17.TUE_.png

I wonder if The CW will ever have another hit as big as The Flash. Maybe Riverdale's audience will keep growing and get there?

Impressive at how many people turn off the TV before the Mayor and after This is Us goes off.

Damn, Brookyln Nine-Nine needs to be put out of its misery with those awful ratings.

Too bad every episode of Rubicon wasn't locked up in a safe never to be aired.

berzeli

Banned
The Lonely Island’s ‘Alone Together’ Gets Season 2 Renewal Ahead Of January Premiere On Freeform
Freeform’s Alone Together doesn’t debut until next year, but the cable net today ordered a second season of the comedy about L.A. millennials. The series exec produced by The Lonely Islanders Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer and Jorma Taccone premieres January 10.

Alone Together stars stand-up comedians Esther Povitsky and Benji Aflalo as overlooked millennial misfits from different backgrounds trying to make their way in the vain and status-obsessed culture of Los Angeles. They find salvation in their strictly platonic male/female friendship. Season 1 will see Esther and Benji’s shooting their own music video, standing in line for a Lip Kit Pop Up and even trying their hand at retirement life. Regardless of the escapade, they will have each other’s backs in their own warped way while calling each other on their nonsense as only best friends can.
How many seasons until the "strictly platonic" relationship isn't strictly platonic?
Goddammit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The CW's 'Riverdale' Quadruples Teen Viewers After Netflix Run

After 24 hours on its own streaming site, the Riverdale season-two premiere already ranked as the most streamed episode in the platform's history. And, with live-plus-3 ratings moving the linear haul 44 percent above the previous high to 3.3 million viewers, it seems clear who exactly was catching up on Netflix: Riverdale's teen audience is up 400 percent.

Bodes well for them betting on these Archie properties. Launch that Sabrina spin-off outta this and they might have another network hit.

Saty

Watching a whole season (what, 8-10 eps?) under 24 hours? Binge attitude at its worst. What kind of a dream financial state are they in to even allow it? Even if i had the time i can probably only muster 3 straight eps at most.

berzeli

Banned
And here we go... again:
Amazon Studios' Roy Price: Inside the Fall of a Top Executive (and What's Next)
Days after THR publishes producer Isa Hackett's sexual harassment claims, the head of the streaming giant steps down. Now new details are emerging of "awkward and uncomfortable" sex talk, a close relationship with Harvey Weinstein and misfires that may lead to more changes.
In the aftermath of Price’s exit and revelations about Harvey Weinstein’s alleged harassment and assault, questions for the studio are coming into focus: Did Amazon tolerate behavior that men and women who worked there found inappropriate? And did the company permit Price to set what some saw as a anti-women tone in its programming choices? Amazon and Price declined to comment via spokespersons.
Prior to Feinberg’s deal, insiders say Price “kissed” Weinstein into two costly projects — a $75 million anthology series from Matthew Weiner and a now-canceled $160 million drama series from David O. Russell — that helped Weinstein’s struggling company gain status and profit. Two sources say Weiner insisted on barring the Weinsteins from any creative involvement with his series, and in the wake of Price’s exit, Amazon has taken it over.
Thank god.
Amazon had been aware of allegations involving Price since at least July 2015. That’s when Hackett first reported to Amazon his alleged harassment at Comic-Con in San Diego. (Price is alleged to have told Hackett, “You will love my dick” and loudly said “anal sex!” in her ear.) Amazon brought in investigator Christine Farrell then and again this past spring. Amazon’s HR department also questioned executives about what they may have seen and heard.
In addition, Amazon — along with HBO, Showtime and Netflix — was offered a chance to lock up the planned Nicole Kidman-Reese Witherspoon series Big Little Lies. The project was a hot commodity and the other bidders made straight-to-series offers. Price would only allow Amazon to offer a development deal, and company insiders say at a staff holiday party at the Lucky Strike bowling alley in Hollywood, Price asked a group of staffers if the two stars would “show their tits” and mused aloud why he would greenlight the show if they didn’t. (In fact, Kidman did multiple nude scenes.) Big Little Lies went to HBO and won eight Emmys — four times more than Amazon’s overall haul.
Does the Emmys count as karma?
Amazon has had few female-fronted shows, and the studio attracted negative attention in the wake of its December 2016 cancellation of the well-reviewed Good Girls Revolt. Series creator Dana Calvo took the rare step of publicly castigating Price for never learning the characters’ names. David E. Kelley, writer-producer of Big Little Lies and Amazon’s Goliath, also has gone public with his frustration with the streamer, telling The Wall Street Journal that the company “is a bit of a gong show.”

Amazon does have programs intended to appeal to women — including Jill Soloway’s Transparent as well as The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, whose pilot debuted in March — and recently has made efforts to add more. But with Price at the helm, most of Amazon's shows have seemed to be aimed primarily at men, including Sneaky Pete, Bosch and American Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story. Price also gave a wildly lavish $80 million deal to Woody Allen for a poorly reviewed six-episode comedy.
For its part, Amazon has pressed showrunners to hire more women directors and is at 50 percent on its half-hours. In April, it gave its first two-season order to Mrs. Maisel, making it the first multi-season order from the streaming service. But Amazon has yet to greenlight a show from a woman straight to series, though it has done so in several instances with male showrunners. Even Soloway had to make a pilot for Transparent follow-up I Love Dick.

And why no finish this off with a nice bit of blatant misogyny and casual racism (I spoilered the show description, it's pretty awful):
According to sources, for several long and expensive years, Price has also had comedy and drama chief Joe Lewis and his team at work developing a series called Shanghai Snow, based on his own idea. The project is not listed on IMDb, which is owned by Amazon, though several writers with credits say they have worked on it and Price’s friend, the filmmaker McG, was attached to direct. Aspiring script writer Yale Hannon produced one outline with scribes Evan Spiliotopoulos and Raven Metzner also having written versions. In the draft written by Hannon, obtained by THR,
Shanghai Snow follows a young woman named Cindy who is sold into sex slavery. Under the control of a “psychotic imperial Thai dwarf” named Mr. Goodtimes, Cindy is drugged, beaten with a machete and told she will be “fucked like a dead fish.”
Kicker:
It seems unlikely now that a pilot will ever be shot. Certainly, Shanghai Snow never seemed likely to provide Amazon with the Game of Thrones type hit that it seeks.

Amazon is a shitshow.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
And why no finish this off with a nice bit of blatant misogyny and casual racism (I spoilered the show description, it's pretty awful):
Jesus.

This is where even the lack of internal accountability within Hollywood companies bewilders me. I've certainly seen plenty firsthand, but it's beyond me that there's so little auditing, so to speak, done. This guy was not only a misogynistic tool, but it led to all kinds of terrible business decisions and the waste of a lot of money. It's a real good picture of the practical failings of the alleged upsides to capitalism.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It was also an ‘ending’ to the series sixteen years on. The final four words hype was huge. In retrospect maybe it was better we didn’t get them lol.
The biggest problem with GG was that it didn't take place soon after S7. Having Rory be where she was as a 30-something was horrible.

ZeroX03

Banned
The Lonely Island's ‘Alone Together' Gets Season 2 Renewal Ahead Of January Premiere On Freeform

How many seasons until the "strictly platonic" relationship isn't strictly platonic?

Considering it's based on their real lives, where the two of them have been platonic best friends for years, possibly the whole series?

The CW's 'Riverdale' Quadruples Teen Viewers After Netflix Run

Bodes well for them betting on these Archie properties. Launch that Sabrina spin-off outta this and they might have another network hit.

I wonder how much insight WB had into Netflix viewership, who traditionally tell nobody. Because they doubled down like halfway through S1 with an expanded Archie deal. Then a 22 episode renewal and Sabrina. Everyone sort of figured it was popular overseas, but I'm wondering what metric they used to know it'd grow like that after a S1 0.5 debut and a ratings drop afterward. Interesting stuff. It's cool to see the Netflix bump in action. Somebody there must've been telling The CW it was doing really well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Considering it's based on their real lives, where the two of them have been platonic best friends for years, possibly the whole series?

I wonder how much insight WB had into Netflix viewership, who traditionally tell nobody. Because they doubled down like halfway through S1 with an expanded Archie deal. Then a 22 episode renewal and Sabrina. Everyone sort of figured it was popular overseas, but I'm wondering what metric they used to know it'd grow like that after a S1 0.5 debut and a ratings drop afterward. Interesting stuff. It's cool to see the Netflix bump in action. Somebody there must've been telling The CW it was doing really well.

for what its worth (and its not much since Portugal is tiny lol) but on my Netflix, Riverdale gets huge banners and shit, they treat it like its as much a big deal as any of their big originals. Also, they call it a Netflix Original, but we already know the story with those licensed "originals". But yeah, I've seen it on the main page banner a ton of times... well, especially since its weekly eps I guess.

Maybe I should watch it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doing deeper looks on subjects and/or long form interviews is better for Netflix and Chelsea. They don’t need evening filler like networks, evergreen content is better.

for what its worth (and its not much since Portugal is tiny lol) but on my Netflix, Riverdale gets huge banners and shit, they treat it like its as much a big deal as any of their big originals. Also, they call it a Netflix Original, but we already know the story with those licensed "originals". But yeah, I've seen it on the main page banner a ton of times... well, especially since its weekly eps I guess.

Maybe I should watch it.

Yeah it was the same here. Netflix push it hard. It seemed like an international hit but we don’t see the numbers so it’s hard to say.

Santiako

Maybe I should watch it.

It's the same in the UK. Riverdale gets the prime spot in the banners and such for months while it's airing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's the same in the UK. Riverdale gets the prime spot in the banners and such for months while it's airing.

well there you go then :)

Does Netflix UK also make a big deal with new eps of the various shows they do weekly eps for there? It's actually pretty neat so you never forget there is a new ep tbh.

Busty

Banned
Lethal Weapon didn't adjust up from a 0.9 in the final ratings?

Rats.

It's still Fox's best performing show of the night but even still...,

Maybe I should watch it.
The deal between the CW and Netflix for international markets has been quite good.
I love having Supergirl and The Flash weekly on Netflix, it's a shame the Arrow isn't also on it and they haven't even put S5 on Netflix.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doing deeper looks on subjects and/or long form interviews is better for Netflix and Chelsea. They don’t need evening filler like networks, evergreen content is better.

True on both accounts.

It's gonna be a wasteland of junk next year if that 80 movies thing is true. I still can't wrap my head around that.

Lethal Weapon didn't adjust up from a 0.9 in the final ratings?

Rats.

It's still Fox's best performing show of the night but even still...,

It seemed like such a stupid idea but the leads are absolute perfection

honestly it might be getting to the point that im enjoying the series more than I did the movies.
Wish the ratings would steady

Goddamn it that show was just terrible. I'm not sure what was worse, Halle Berry's Extant or Salvation. Extant even managed to go on for 2 or 3 seasons. Salvation is like a really bad rom-com The 100 prequel.

Nielsen I guess trying to crack the Netflix formula, interesting how all these places vary wildly on their ratings for shows. Like Ozark is pretty high here but Netflix's own "people who binged shows in 24 hours this year" doesn't like Ozark at all. Also seems a bit crazy that 12m people watched Star Trek on CBS All Access, or that 12m people paid CBS All Access money.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/ne...fenders-full-house-house-of-cards-1201888675/

Busty

Banned
Not sure if this video compilation of for 21 seasons of promos for (mostly failed) FOX shows is utterly brilliant, or devastatingly sad.

I loved this.

I have a feeling that it's my destiny to have a short lived and quickly forgotten show that is only remembered as one of these brief on air promos.

You have to love cutting away to the cast of a quickly cancelled TV show sitting awkwardly in the stands.

"And here's the cast of Girl's Club!"

Yep, first time he spoke i already hated him.

Good on the sctor ror potraying a douche.

LOL,

Its such a weird character. He is a Navy Seal but acts like he just enlisted(like he is the audience viewpoint or something) has only gone on one mission with the actual stars
and the rest of the time is being a douche and just hanging in a bar.

Before I stopped watching I actually thought he was okay on Bates Motel, but man I have no clue why he is in this.

vypek

Man they need to wrap up modern family. Lily's actress horrible acting was cute as a kid, now it is verging on being sad

She is unbelievably bad. Why didn't they give her acting lessons as she was growing up? Joe is pretty awful too but the show will be done before it really matters.

Family Guy in their season opener actually took a shot at her poor acting

Linkura

LOL,

Its such a weird character. He is a Navy Seal but acts like he just enlisted(like he is the audience viewpoint or something) has only gone on one mission with the actual stars
and the rest of the time is being a douche and just hanging in a bar.

Before I stopped watching I actually thought he was okay on Bates Motel, but man I have no clue why he is in this.
He definitely matured greatly in his acting abilities as Bates Motel went on and was actually quite good in the final season. Sounds like poor direction, writing, and/or he just doesn't give a shit.

Top Bottom