• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DSix

Banned
That was a whole lot of nothing. Multiplatform games galore.

They did not give a single good reason to buy a 500€ box.

DOA.

LuuKyK

Well that was a huge disappointment.

Congrats Microsoft on completely failing to sell your new console.

Seriously, the pace was good, there was little talk and only a few cringy moments, but my god, they just didnt have anything there to back up all the MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE EVERRRR talk.

The only game that looked extremely good was Anthem which is not even exclusive and thats hilarious.

Lets not even talk about all the launch exclusive weird messages and how terrible Crackdown 3 looks after all the hype. lol

- Ori & the Will of the Wisps
- Forza 7
- Crackdown 3
- Sea of Thieves
- State of Decay 2

I really hoped they had more new/exclusive ips to justify that $499 price tag.

The games they did show certainly weren't bad, but there seemed to be a complete lack of any new significant first party games. Third party stuff, indie games and small bits of gameplay from already announced games are great, but they're not exactly the sort of big experiences i expect at to be the headline games for an E3 conference, especially not when they're trying to get people to buy a new console that's quite a lot more expensive than the competitor.

Nothing wowed me but it was a solid conference. Some of the Id@xbox games interested me the most. Don't care about $500 Scorpio that's what I figured it'd launch at if the specs are very good. Looking forward to the enhanced games to see how those look.

Sea of thieves was nice to see more than just shanty singing with nothing to do. Still don't know the objective but it might not matter.

Player unknown battlegrounds should be great and wonder if they'll risk cross play with pc.

Anthem looked freaking amazing in graphics but it's not a game for me probably.

Crackdown looked a lot worse than it did 3 years ago.

Or I is my most anticipated game from the presser. Not surprising it's one of my favorite games.

Don't care about Xbox og backwards compat. It's a nice to have but I doubt I'll make much use of it.

Overall a games focused conference that didn't show anything insane but was safe

after watching this sony just needs an orchestra at the beggining of their conference to win this year's e3 and win the next console war once again

Microsoft have had pretty solid showings the past few years, but I'm clearly not their demographic.

Drinking every time "exclusive" and "4K" was said has left me a little over the limit too.

New002

All my opinion obviously, but holy smokes that was an impressively mediocre conference. The only things that blew we away were DBZ Fighters and Anthem. I guess Xbox is gonna stay a Halo box for me. I'll check back in with One X when Halo 6 launches. Sigh. I expected that price too...but if you're gonna hit me with $499 you have to really BRING IT with your conference and games.

The silver lining is I now have $600 freed up :/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just don't get what MS' game plan is. $499 is a tough sell for an industry leading console, let alone one that's a distant second. We've seen this play out before, and it wasn't good. The absolute maximum that the wide market is willing to plunk down is $399, and that's doing so grudgingly.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pretty terrible conference.

Metro was cool and a nice surprise, but I've already played 2 of those, so while I'll play and probably like it, it's not really bringing anything new to the table.

Assassin's Creed was also nice but that leaked a while ago, and even if it didn't, an Assassin's Creed game is no surprised.

The only other thing that looked cool, which I also thought was the best thing shown, was Anthem but it's yet another open world online shitter, kinda sick of those. I'm I going to have to grind a ton of boring scenarios over and over to get that one weapon I need? Or farm some shit out in the world because I need to craft something? Hopefully it has a full fledged campaign to go along with it, because if not, I don't really care.

This whole conference really didn't fill me with any excitement to be an Xbox Owner when most of the games shown there will be played on my PS4 or PC.

Anthem is gorgeous. Combat looks a bit meh but I am definitely in on day one.

Overall, 5/10 conference. Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, Crackdown, Shadow of War, Metro and DBZ were all great - everything else, not so much.

XB1X is incredibly powerful hardware but it seems wasted on a mediocre exclusive software line-up and third party titles that I can find elsewhere. Plus, none of the exclusive titles seem to offer much over the base Xbox One version aside from 4K which, while of course nice, isn't exactly worth $500 for me despite having bought myself a $400 PS4 Pro.

Regardless, onto Bethesda tonight!

Big One

Banned
Nothing they've shown is worth spending 500 dollars on, sorry. There's several great games shown but nothing I can't already play on my PS4 or PC.

Dinjooh

So I can't figure out what 42 games they mean and what 22 exclusives there are. Of course I totally lost track during that ID@Xbox sizzle reel, and am not sure if they count Crimson Skies and the other games in the Xbox One X Enhanced section, but here's what I have. Maybe everyone else can help fill in the details:

Anthem

Deep Rock Galactic for one isn't an exclusive.

illusionary

I wasn't planning to be getting an Xbox One X and that's not changed, but there were a good number of decent games shown. Ori and Crackdown would have been enough on their own for me to be pretty happy, but I'll also be looking out for a fair few others:

Metro Exodus
AC: Exodus
Shadow of War
Tacoma
Super Lucky's Tale
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Anthem

Elixist

Whats happens if:

Sony drops PS4 Pro and PSVR to $350

PS4 to $249

Announces cross platform play

Backwards compatibility for PS1,PS2,PS3(I know...)

Releases a Pro Controller

sony really needs an fps controller, just put 4 comfy buttons on the back and charge 70, change the stick placement too (prolly too sturborn tho)

mclem

Super Foxy Tails seems like a new one, I kind of like it, just hope they don't dare to ask 60 bucks for it.

Lucky's Tale was a VR game that was (IIRC) given free with the Oculus Rift. I'm curious how Super-ified Super Lucky's Tale is.

I did rather like the look of it, I have to say. Although I did keep getting distracted by how the music kept nearly being Gusty Garden.

I think the conference showed a lot of games I'd quite like to play. It didn't do much to convince me I needed to play them on MS hardware.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No new first party exclusive announcements, aside from Ori and I guess Forza.

I hope we can stop believing Phil now when he harps that he hears people regarding first party support.

What in the actual fuck have they be doing?

WHERE ARE THE GOD DAMN EXCLUSIVE GAMES?

I've been an Xbox fan since the beginning. I've been an Xbox Live member for well over a decade. But I am slowly moving to PS4, because it just offers more. I was hoping that they would have a killer new exclusive IP for the Scorpio launch, something that I was just itching to buy. Instead, upgrades to existing games and third party ports and another Forza. Come on. Are they even trying? Sony put out more exclusives this year already.

bennibop

I am in total shock, that was the poorest e3 showing I have ever witnessed. Masses of indies padding a handful of 1st party games some of which looked terrible and not a good reflection of one x power (state of decay 2 and crackdown looking fucking awful.) the best game shown are available on PS4 and you will not see much graphical difference. 499 is to much, you might as well by a gaming pc.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Anthem looked great. I clearly saw some story content when the mission was laid out by the guy in the marketplace. I have to imagine that Bioware will be putting a level of story interactions and depth on top of this game. What I saw here convinces me that ME:A was less than their best effort because the best resources were being used to develop this new IP.

hope it comes to PC

Kud Dukan

Overall, they showed a lot of games I am interested in.

It's just a strange feeling because I am going to play ALL of those games on my PC, so I don't see a reason to upgrade to a new Xbox. But I'm okay with that! I don't really care where I play my games these days. Console, PC, wherever is good with me.

R&R

Well...first thoughts:

-One X pretty much what I expected, as was the price
-Metro Exodus looked damn good
-New Ori looked beautiful
-Anthem was fucking amazing
-Forza was...well, Forza
-Assassins Creed...was really disappointing...same as always
-Sea of Thieves continues to be meh
-Some nice indies as well

J-Rzez

I'll be honest.

I thought the conference was well done compared to their past. It was kind of a take on Sony's flow. It was done good I thought.

Unfortunately, the games didn't scream overall. Ones that did, Multiplatform. Hell, the majority will be on PC most likely?

That price on the X though? Good luck with that. Too much for too little in return what they SHOWED there. I have high end 4K TVs. I have zero interest. Sure, I'm a PC gamer more so these days, but if it looked good, I'd give it a shot.

If you have a mid to high end 4K TV, and a Xbox One only, and you need a console, sure.

But overall, underwhelming. If anything, hate to be one of those people, but this is another boost to PC. I wonder if we are heading to the end of consoles? Unless a true next-gen machine hits and shows a true leap of past, we maybe at this iterative approach.

Haganeren

Hum, i wasn't AS negative as you all personally.

I mean the DBZ game looked very cool... What it's on PS4 ? Oh...
There is that indie game with pixels that i really loved.
There is also that game, Dark Souls like with anime aesthetic that felt good to me.

Errr, that's all i remember... See ? Not that bad !

The bad is that the 2017 lineup looks weak but it's just how it goes with State of Decay and Sea of Thieves delayed until 2018. The flip side of that is their first half 2018 lineup is going to be great. They could have used another game for 2017 though.

As it stands, I hope they have more in the works for late 2018 and beyond. Next year is probably when we should start seeing the fruits of Phil's labor and if late 2018 ends up looking weak then I think the concern has to be there.

Overall though, very good conference. All the games they showed looked great and the work they're doing with indies is phenomenal in terms of getting them on the console and securing them as timed exclusive. The Xbox back compat announcement is big too because it essentially secures backwards compatibility for everyone Xbox, probably until the end of time.

To be honest, it still feels like they're setting the foundation for Xbox. I'm fine with that now it's time to start building up.

For having next to nothing in their lineup announced, I was expecting a TON of new first party. There was literally nothing besides the annual Forza

Skux

The only games I really got that AAA feeling from were Forza and Anthem.

It's a shame that all those teraflops are left unused rendering games that can still run on PS4-level hardware.

JOKERACN7

That was a great conference, enjoyed it, wall to wall games, hope they turn out well, Metro was the highlight of the show for me, damn them graphics!

8/10.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That was really impressive. The best presentation I have ever seen from Microsoft. Ori sequel, Metro sequel, State of Decay sequel and Anthem looked great to name a few of the games shown. I will buy a lot of those games for my Windows 10 PC.

They didn't really sell me on the Xbox One X, but the presentation was excellent. 9/10 or maybe even 10/10.

Haha well played

Not much announced last year, silence till this year and the biggest cheers was a for original Xbox compatibility. Wave after wave of timed exclusive indie games and the ones they did make themselves the majority looked rough. Had enough of them to be honest, not the brand I was so passionate about anymore.

Top Bottom