• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

timedesk

Neo Member
This was a fairly underwhelming conference for me. The only real exclusive game that looked good to me was ORI 2. State of Decay 2 went on for too long and the game itself looked a little rough. Crackdown 3 looked better, but outside of the cool lights and Terry Crews, it didn't really sand out for me

Sea of Thieves is just, well it's just disappointing. The core idea seems fun, but even No Man's Sky gave me a better sense of how it would function as a solo player.

The only real highlights for me were, the new DB fighter and the prequel to Life is Strange.

This was not a terrible show on paper, a lot of games were shown, but none of them really made me feel like getting an X box S or X. It really felt like a 7/10 show.

13ruce

Banned
One thing i don't get why don't keep the fucking Scorpio or Neo names they are way cooler and mainstream people love edgy words.

Switch is honestly one of the only names that improved from the codename altho NX was cool Switch littarly fits the console better.

Xbox One Scorpio and PS4 Neo.
Awesome AF:/

I honestly don't get why people are talking about Xbox in the console competiton. I truly feel they bowed out of the console race when they announced no more exclusives. Its just a decent small size computer at this point...

You see a good Nintendo show you want a switch, you see a good sony show you want a ps4, this didnt sell the Xbox itself.

Probably the best presented MS presser for me for a loooong time. It flowed nicely and the pace was spot on. It was wall to wall games. Just a shame there's was little in the way of true exclusives and much sign of 1st party... you know, compelling new software to help flog your new system. We knew about all their 1st party stuff on show well before. And while most looked great, it simply wasn't enough. In a year they're launching their second coming of Christ, they seem very unprepared with their own stuff to help push it. Once Forza, SoT and Crackdown is released are we really going to have to wait for Halo 6 next October for their next major 1st party release? Third party small timed exclusives aren't going to cut it.

But on the whole it was a very good showing of content. Just most of it is coming to other platforms, either day and date or some time later.

Vanadium

All jokes aside on names, decent conference content-wise. No motion control, diverse game genre demos, no Halo and a digestible price. I'm not buying and it's sort of disconcerting to think THIS is the conference they should have given when the XBO was originally launched, but no real bad stuff here. But picking up a Switch would make a lot more sense than upgrading IMHO. Let's see how Sony plays out tomorrow.

EGM1966

Since when does Forza, Sea of Thieves, or Crackdown not count as AAA? I get what you're saying but that's all subjective. I'm more excited for Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay 2 than many other games because I'm a co-op whore.

If "true" exclusives are only on a console then people should learn that is not what MS is doing. They have two platforms to support and they don't strictly overlap for a lot of people. Of my circle of friends, I'm the only one that games on PC, the rest are happy enough with the Xbox. There are plenty of people like this where a PC version is irrelevant.
Let's leave it. You keep cycling back to arguments about non exclusive ecosystem.

As I noted originally in its own right - particularly if you game on Xbox - the conference was ok and showed plenty of games. I also noted if viewed competitively it was rather lacking in response to your query why some were down on it.

But you clearly can't accept that angle. It should be obvioud by the end of E3 though.

Actually this post summarises it well.

I honestly don't get why people are talking about Xbox in the console competiton. I truly feel they bowed out of the console race when they announced no more exclusives. Its just a decent small size computer at this point...

You see a good Nintendo show you want a switch, you see a good sony show you want a ps4, this didnt sell the Xbox itself.

microdot

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft just made a better Steam box next generation. PC and Xbox will cannabalize each other's sales.

GHG

Now that I've taken some time to digest and I'm about to go to bed I will summarise my thoughts on this conference:

DCEFPECXgAQ4XZa.jpg

HZ8AnU2.jpg

Humdinger

My impressions:

Positives

+ Nice turnaround from previous E3s, in terms of new exclusive announcements.  Most were launch exclusive, and most were smaller titles, but still, an impressive number (22), compared to the last couple of years.

+ Life is Strange sequel announcement was the emotional highpoint of the conference, personally.  It's multiplatform, but it was great to see it.

+ Ori looked beautiful.  I liked what Phil said afterwards, something about how games like Ori make him believe in the beauty and heart of gaming. 

+ Conference focused on games, games, and more games.  There you go.

+ Cuphead gets a release date.

+ The OG Xbox BC program.  That's a good addition.

Negatives

- No new big game exclusive were announced, that I noticed.  Lots of little ones, but no big ones.

- Audience seemed hand-picked; maybe they were concerned that someone might groan or boo.

- $499 is a lot

- None of the newly announced exclusives persuaded me to buy an Xbox.  I would've liked to have been persuaded, but it just didn't happen.

Overall grade: B

The Xbox One X hardware looks slick, impressive how it's actually the smallest version.

Disappointed in their exclusive game lineup however, was hoping for some surprise major first party games, but I'm personally uninterested in what they offered.

HiiiLife

Player Unknown, Darwin and Sea of Thieves are enough to keep my multiplayer interests hyped.

Can't wait to see if they give us Warriors, Fusion Frenzy and TIMESPLITTERS 2 for BC

BriGuy

It was a 6/10 showing from what's probably going to be a 6/10 E3 overall. After the AAA blow out of games from earlier this year, there's like nothing left to look forward to at the moment.

And I don't know what to do about the XBX. I mean, the price is somehow both reasonable for the components and unreasonable for what you get to play on it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My favorite games were Metro, Ori, The Last Night, Observer, Shift, and Code Vein.

I thought Ashen looked solid. Was that from the developers of Inside and Limbo? It had a similar look to it.

Robbok

Mediocre is the Key word for me.
Only games i definitely will play are Assassins Creed and Anthem. Both will launch on PS4 too...
Forza and sea of thieves are looking good as well, but thats still not enough to convince me to buy an xbox. especially not the Xbox one X. (dont own a ps pro as well)
I also will remember this as the conference of bad music. Maybe thats just me, but music was many times very annoying to me.

Tsukumo

I expected they'd push Scorpio much, much more. They should have put all the new titles, including Anthem, at the start of the conference.
This is a console which is supposed to be the most powerful on the market at launch, yet nothing shown seem to be mindblowing enough.
Expcet Anthem of course.
It's likely Sony is going to show extensive, lengthy demos which will blow away all the good this conference had to offer.
Except Anthem of course.

I can't help but feel this was a massive choke. A big missed opportunity to stamp some authority back in the market.

Sony are due for a quiet E3 after three massive ones, Nintendo is coming in with a half hour time slot. The decks were essentially cleared for MS to make an impact with what seemed like new hardware that they wouldn't repeat past mistakes with, and to unleash a load of new game announcements with their lineup seemingly mostly hidden.

We got none of that. Repeated mistakes in pricing. Third party padding. And new first party content simply not there. Their show cases were the usual Forza and the same games we've been seeing for years. MS did not make a statement and lead the charge with a range of new content that makes people want a Scorpio.

Now the pressure is off Sony and Nintendo and they really don't have to do a lot to take this one

As an outside observer of Xbox and Microsoft I thought that was a well put on conference, there just wasn't a lot there for me to consider buying an Xbox when I have a relatively up to date PC. I'll look into some of the games they showed, just on PC though.

The Lamp

Every game looked diverse, fun, and interesting. But I'm confused on what is exclusive to Xbox One, how much better things will look with One X, and whether any of it is worth investing in as a PS4 Pro owner. Plus most of the games I want are coming out in 2018. With a $500 price tag and what I assume are mostly timed exclusives, I don't see Microsoft taking any marketshare from Sony. They weren't as aggressive in strategy as they should be.

But the format of the conference was fantastic. Nothing but great gameplay. Best Microsoft conference in years from that perspective.

chaosaeon

That was pretty much as I expected sadly. Pretty weak. Only recourse the team can do now is invest big in first party exclusives.

5/10 (Took a whole point off for their confusing "exclusive" language)

Watching them say that repeatedly and then do nothing seems to be the game they're actually playing.

As I said a few pages back, I thought it was terrible. Little to no true exclusives, jam-packed full of third-party titles and no heavy hitter to really get the blood pumping.

Sony has a habit of announcing games too early and while I appreciate there's a different audience on Xbox, I can't understand how anyone can be happy with that line up.

I was really rooting for Microsoft to do something - anything - to make me care again.

God of War, The Last of Us Part 2, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Spider-Man, GT Sport, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Detroit, whatever Sucker Punch is working on...

... and a large portion of the games Microsoft showed me tonight - Sony has them all.

Phil and his team have not delivered at all if you ask me. What an utter shambles.

Edit: Didnt even mention Scorpio, but who cares, there's almost nothing to play on it I can't play elsewhere.

Markoman

Exactly. With this presser they have sealed the deal for me. MS and Xbox for me are now stuck somewhere in between Ubi, EA, Acti on the one side and Sony+Nintendo on the other.

ZehDon

Gold Member
A mixed bag for me. The Xbox One X is priced out of my reach, but OG Xbox bat-compat got a w00t out of me, so my XboneS will be getting some use. Sea of Thieves looks like my cup of tea, Anthem has potential, and several of the smaller titles look pretty good. Disappointed there wasn't a huge bomb dropped, but overall it was a solid conference. 7/10.

After the last few E3s, it's sad to say my predictions for this gen feel accurate. After the XBone disaster, I said Microsoft would basically spin its wheels until the next gen. They haven't thrown in the towel, but they know there's no point going hard against Sony and the PS4. And this year, it really feels like it. A brand new console... to play all the games you already own. Maybe next Gen...

BraXzy

Should we be worried that the latest Crackdown 3 footage showed zero destruction? Or did I miss it? The bridge scene at the end seemed ripe for a dope collapse which didn't happen.

Probably the best presented MS presser for me for a loooong time. It flowed nicely and the pace was spot on. It was wall to wall games. Just a shame there's was little in the way of true exclusives and much sign of 1st party... you know, compelling new software to help flog your new system. We knew about all their 1st party stuff on show well before. And while most looked great, it simply wasn't enough. In a year they're launching their second coming of Christ, they seem very unprepared with their own stuff to help push it. Once Forza, SoT and Crackdown is released are we really going to have to wait for Halo 6 next October for their next major 1st party release? Third party small timed exclusives aren't going to cut it.

But on the whole it was a very good showing of content. Just most of it is coming to other platforms, either day and date or some time later.

SoT and SoD2 aren't until earlier in 2018. There is then a big vacuum after that, in to which one assumes MS have nothing, or have hidden stuff. Given new Xbox, not unreasonable to think the latter. But evidently, that doubt is not healthy. Particularly when Sony can thrive off long term promises (even when only based on teasers). People in this thread seem more excited by 2018/9 promises than games out in next 9 months. Usually because of novelty.

00ich

Xbox One X? Microsoft outdoes itself with the worst names.
Also what was Phil Spencer wearing?
42 games and no pacing. Exclusivity and Xbox X upgrades where confusing to the point where I tuned out.
Metro and Anthem looked very much like vertical slices, not actual game play.
Crackdown 3 looks like a game should have been canceled. It almost looked like they wanted to hide the game behind Terry Crew's performance.
They did not justify the 499.

Sea of thieves demoed way batter this year. That looked really,really good. Coincidentally it was all in-game without much distraction.
Cuphead looked great again.
Back comp is really becoming an argument for Xbox.

Boke1879

Man you guys are harsh.

It's the same sentiment I'm seeing on twitter. It was an ok conference, but when you get into the nitty gritty many people are noticing a lot of these games can be played on other systems.

MS still has the problem with their first party offerings and nothing shown today will make the average consumer grab the One X.

eso76

The console is sexy as hell and so small.
I would buy one for that reason alone.

But then I don't​ really care about playing games that look the same except in 4k.

And while Forza, Ashen and Ori 2 looked great I was more interested in last night and a bunch of indie games from that montage.

Top Bottom