• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

tribal24

Banned
Interesting that he would leak this given his place in the industry. Certainly not making friends over at MS.

Microsoft had to know he was leaking the price, it was definately a move to soften the blow . Alot of people just couldn't believe it thats all, majority of people here are in a bubble.

Kinyou

The show itself was alright, what was missing though was a real killer app. More details on what exact improvements the xbox one x will deliver would have helped as well.

As an outside observer of Xbox and Microsoft I thought that was a well put on conference, there just wasn't a lot there for me to consider buying an Xbox when I have a relatively up to date PC. I'll look into some of the games they showed, just on PC though.

Yeah, this is where I think I'm at too. Respect what they did and the show itself was pretty good, but it didn't really sway me as someone who's never really been an Xbox player. The exclusive problem is still big for them.

Hastati

Presumably, based on the time and effort allocated, Sea of Thieves is the game they are positioning to be that.

If this is true then they should have given us a scope trailer before or instead of a close up gameplay re-reveal. Something to highlight all of the various amazing and exciting things you can do with your friends above the salty seas etc. It looked fun but their presentation didn't have much oomph to it.

Popped over to the subreddit for XBox One, and it's crazy to me how they are numbing the news as positive. Like I dont get how $500 is practical for a console with zero exclusives.

I get that they share games on PC now, but that is surely indicative that MS totally gave up on the console market this gen, right?

But then they invest in a $500 console. I just dont get what they are going for

Sub is a mess

Man you guys are harsh.

Lol. I agree a bit. I'm sold on Forza and multi plats at 4K. Day one for me. Not too long ago this was a pipe dream that wouldn't be possible. 4K gaming for $500 with a 4K bluray player. I know it's not for everyone and $399 would have been much better, but $499 is fine by me.

Can someone tell me about the 22 exclusives?

Did MS make all of those games with their studios? Or did they pay for them to be Xbox console exclusive? I don't understand

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some others games I wrote down that didn't see a lot of but I thought looked good:

Strange Brigade
Conan Exiles

Don't know much about either.

Did anyone make a list of the 22 exclusives? I didn't get to watch everything as I was grocery shopping.

I know there's:

Forza
Crackdown
Ori 2
PUBG
Metro
LIS

...?

Amir0x

Banned
I was holding out hope they had a bunch of cool first party surprises but... I guess the indicators were accurate. Not a great look when you are launching a 499.99 beast machine.

At least it seems they have some cool indies in the pipe.

KageMaru

Let's leave it. You keep cycling back to arguments about non exclusive ecosystem.

As I noted originally in its own right - particularly if you game on Xbox - the conference was ok and showed plenty of games. I also noted if viewed competitively it was rather lacking in response to your query why some were down on it.

But you clearly can't accept that angle. It should be obvioud by the end of E3 though.

Actually this post summarises it well.

I'm not cycling back to anything, I like to think I've been consistent. I also am not seeing anything at any angle, that's not how things should be viewed objectively IMO.

The person you quoted doesn't understand that a console exclusive still matters to those who game on consoles. The fact that Planetside 2 was on PC didn't diminish the fact that it was console exclusive to the PS4 and influenced my choice in picking up that console. Again there's this mentality that if it's also on PC it doesn't count when that's not really the case to console gamers.

Too many games with janky running animations, what was that all about? Is it the Andromeda effect? I feel like we've gone back in time. Sea of Thieves had simultaneously the most impressive sea water effects I've ever seen and the absolute worst running animations I've ever seen.

Wamb0wneD

Well...If i dind't get the PS4 slim last friday i would have gotten one tomorrow lol. Some good games shown but nothing that want's to get me an Xbox in particular.

I was holding out hope they had a bunch of cool first party surprises but... I guess the indicators were accurate. Not a great look when you are launching a 499.99 beast machine.

At least it seems they have some cool indies in the pipe.

I want to see all these people that get a $500 machine to play Indies on it...in 4K i guess... I don't see this thing selling that well, especially at that price.

WinFonda

Complete apathy during this conference. Like, they showed nothing but games... but it was still somehow boring and/or expected. And a lot of the games frankly just showed poorly.

It just felt like... there was nothing new?

And $499... okay.

I felt like we waited a year to downgrade from Gears/Forza to just Forza at MS's E3.

Anthem was the definite high note, but it's also still somehow disappointing that it was their closer.

Krisprolls

Banned
That's MS for you, still as clueless as ever about console gaming.

Let's hype the most powerful console, then they come at E3 with zero big budget exclusive game. You know... the ones which would have sold your $499 console.

It feels like the guys taking decisions there don't understand what their business is.

Well, at least they improved somewhat, they didn't talk about TV. Games weren't bad, but it definitely lacked major exclusives.

Cosmozone

Favs strictly visually:
1. Anthem
2. Last Night
3. Ori
4. Metro

Worst visually were Crackdown (probably put on hold for the longest time and then finished in a hurry) and State of Decay (atrocious faces and animations). Gameplay could save the two games, though. SoD looks interesting in that regard.

Xbox X is a hard sell with that diminishing returns thing. I actually don't blame the presentation for failing to get people hyped for it.

BraXzy

The format of the conference on the whole was pretty damn good. Not too much PR waffle, there were a few daft moments like the two pro drivers coming out to stand there and do nothing. And the guy screaming cringey e-sports commentary.. But on the whole there were game after game reveals shown and the pace kept up.

The problem being most of the games were either 3rd parties playable elsewhere or games previously announced. So few Xbox exclusives coming, and even less that excite me.

Major highlights of the show being Ori 2, The Last Night and Anthem.

Idk where there plan is to sell the new hardware but it wasn't laid out here.

Rolf NB

Can someone tell me about the 22 exclusives?

Did MS make all of those games with their studios? Or did they pay for them to be Xbox console exclusive? I don't understand
Halo Forza Gears Ori Cuphead only on Xbox + PC, the rest are timed third-party deals. Lengths of exclusivity windows not disclosed.

I'll give it a B, they showing games that's due now that's fine with me as long as they have the same amount next year as well

biggest get is playgrounds tines exclusive that game is going to be huge

Texamon

Neo Member
So does anyone have a breakdown of the actual console exclusives they announced (i.e. not timed exclusives or whatever the buzzword is now)

$499 is probably too much.. I'll probably buy it anyway even though I have a PC.

The games were good. Anthem looks awesome (and I'll probably buy the Xbox version since I don't love Origin). Forza looks great, I am vaguely interested in Sea of Thieves but I generally don't like games that require friends.

I was pretty pumped about OG Xbox backward compatibility since a lot of that stuff doesn't have an emulation solution and my Xbox hard drive died a few years ago.

They needed a new announcement for a big first party game, but at least most of the things mentioned were coming out in the near future. It doesn't help much to announce things like scalebound and then cancel them either.

I was shocked by how many Early Access games were in the sizzle reel. I can't believe they gave Black Desert it's own trailer when it's pretty well known to be a typical Korean MMO grindfest which only saving grace is that you can make a spot-on Bart Simpson in the character creator.

So during Spencer's reign he has managed to

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Cancel first party titles
Promise more than they can deliver
Announce consoles at higher price than people are willing to pay
Overhype and Botch E3
Sign off on some of the most cringe PR/Advertising messaging

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of execs at Xbox are just way too comfortable or way too deluded.

Complete apathy during this conference. Like, they showed nothing but games... but it was still somehow boring and/or expected. And a lot of the games frankly just showed poorly.

And $499... okay.

I felt like we waited a year to downgrade from Gears/Forza to just Forza at MS's E3.

Anthem was the definite high note, but it's also still somehow disappointing that it was their closer.

It was eerily predictable.

Skux

As a show it was well paced and covered a large range of games.

But as a sales pitch for the ridiculously named Xbox One X, it fell flat. So much confusion over whatever "exclusive" means. So many games that will also be available on PS4 and PC. And asking $499 for it is a lot when the PS4 Pro exists.

The only standout AAA titles that showcased the hardware were Anthem and Forza. The rest of the games can easily run on PS4 or PC hardware. It just seems like a waste of teraflops when most of the time you'll just be downsampling and adding AF.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gawd, I'm so pissed off right now. This was gonna be the big E3 comeback. As an Xbox fan of the original and 360, I was ready to jump back in.

I'm not even upset at the price because I assumed it was gonna be that high. I just can't believe there were zero new first party games announced that we already didn't know about. That is so insane to me.

Microsoft had to know he was leaking the price, it was definately a move to soften the blow . Alot of people just couldn't believe it thats all, majority of people here are in a bubble.

Yeah, it was definitely not in a prominent place in the conference and just glossed over very quickly.

I'll get a couple of positives out of the way:

+ I appreciate MS' commitment to BC and services.
+ I appreciate how they mostly showed gameplay.

But that's about as much as I can muster up.

- The Xbox One X is a system without a cause. There is no exclusive to justify its existence or its price.
- In general, for the last 5-6 years, it has become increasingly hard to care about investing in MS' ecosystem, when they are this bereft of first party game studios and talent. I don't feel like they are in this for the long haul. Even the One X feels like a last ditch effort to gather some attention towards a dying effort.
- The pacing of their shows are legitimately terrible and the games they choose for extended looks are often baffling. I don't know why Sea of Thieves needed something quite that long when most of what they showed was boring.
- The apparent downgrade to Crackdown 3 is disappointing. MS deserves a ton of shit for selling the power of the cloud and then backing down from that promise.
- Anthem looked fantastic visually, so at least they knew how to end it, though I'm skeptical if the final game is going to look that good.
- That "console launch exclusive" phraseology was shady.

All in all, MS feels like a company in retreat. They're firing what little arsenal they have, but it isn't enough.

I feel the same way. I understand what Microsoft is doing in terms of windows/Xbox being the same long term, but I really dont see any real competitive edge for them right now in the console realm.

They have Xbox loyalists (rightfully earned stemming from Xbox live, performance, and controllers in prior generations), but they've given up on first/second party.

If you're coming in cold, other than friends being on Xbox, why choose them over the PS4 or switch? I suppose Media Center?

CervantesPR1

Neo Member
Mark my words.

Xbox brand will quit after one generation. This just not works.

You have to make feel your own community 'special'.

Windows 10 & Pc & Xbox One integration was very very bad idea, i don't know who planned, thought or did this, but this is ridiculous, and getting xbox one to end.

God, I miss 2005's. Where Xbox 360 dominated.

a very underwhelming conference indeed, I was feeling positive about MS conference but they failed to deliver, they didnt wow anyone, the faith of the brand is down the toilet, tomorrow the main event that will satisfy my needs

Alebrije

Gawd, I'm so pissed off right now. This was gonna be the big E3 comeback. As an Xbox fan of the original and 360, I was ready to jump back in.

I'm not even upset at the price because I assumed it was gonna be that high. I just can't believe there were zero new first party games announced that we already didn't know about. That is so insane to me.
But you got X box BC, Crimson skyes....

MCD

Are we really harsh?

Look. Spencer says we are listening and he and the team delivered on bringing stuff like Xbox originals support.

So I am pretty sure they are listening too when we demand more first party games so why ignore your fans there? Games ain't easy to make but when you go all the way to Japan and tweet about it I expect exclusives or at least PS4 ports at worst. Not guaranteed games like Dragon Ball Z.

We are not harsh because we are trolling or hate Xbox. I game only on Xbox nowadays. I love this platform. And that's why I want the best for it.

djnewwest

Banned
4 out of 10 for me.

Was hoping for:

Fable announcement
Halo tease
Cyberpunk trailer
Obsidian's next AAA rpg
Mistwalker scorpio exclusive rpg
Actual game demos
updated controller for scorpio
$399 Scorpio

Way to many indie's, crackdown and state of decay looked underwhelming. MS is playing it safe and trying to please everyone at the same time.

They don't even know who their target audience for Scorpio is! A hardcore console debut but show a shit load of indie, artsy, games?

They fucked up again. MS hire me, Ill sort out the Xbox brand.

I think you're being way too harsh. They showed a LOT of games even if they weren't new 1st party games. I don't think you can look poorly on 22 Xbox/PC exclusives regardless of the source.

Spacebar

So during Spencer's reign he has managed to

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Cancel first party titles
Promise more than they can deliver
Announce consoles at higher price than people are willing to pay
Overhype and Botch E3
Sign off on some of the most cringe PR/Advertising messaging

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of execs at Xbox are just way too comfortable or way too deluded.

Pretty much. They just had Major Nelson on youtube hyping up the fact they lined up the ports in the back on one row.

Wamb0wneD

And $499... okay.

This. Metro was a nice surprse. Assasins Creed looked actually interesting, Ori, Cupead, Ashen and some other stuff was all cool... But i can play all of that elsewhere.

Top Bottom