• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jarnet87

a lot of cool Indie titles shown which impressed me, but I am not a big MS 1st party fan. I really thought they were going to throw a ton of money at a big exclusive new first and third party title but that didn't happen. Sea of Thieves and the Indie titles may get me to bite on an S down the road if I want to play those games on the couch instead of on my computer, but no chance I drop $500 on an X.

I was on board with the press conference till $499...

It's not that I wouldn't spend $499... I did for the XOne at launch.
I just don't think the masses will spend $499 on a new Xbox when the PS4 Pro is $399...

This is seriously making me reconsider a purchase... because if there's no one to play with on the system, what's the point?
Well most people are going to go for a One S anyway. Shouldn't be a problem finding people to play games with. Thats why the whole dead on arrival narrative people keep spinning is kind of hyperbolic. Even MS said the Scorpio is only going to appeal to the most core enthusiasts. I admit I was sad about the 499 Price tag. I had considered maybe getting an Xbox One X at 399 but now I'll just wait until a sub 250 price on the One S instead.

So during Spencer's reign he has managed to

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Cancel first party titles
Promise more than they can deliver
Announce consoles at higher price than people are willing to pay
Overhype and Botch E3
Sign off on some of the most cringe PR/Advertising messaging

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of execs at Xbox are just way too comfortable or way too deluded.
2013 ruined xbox for the next decade, he's done a great job all things considered. surprised this console isn't wii u status

WinFonda

2 or 3 out of 10. When a conference sells you on not buying the new hardware, it's failed horribly.
I think it's fair to say that even had they announced a lower price for the Scorpio, this conference would still be getting a lot of flack for lack of meaningful exclusive content. It was that bad.

13ruce

Banned
Lol

The only way Sony wouldn't top this Microsoft presser is if they didn't show up at all.

Call Of Duty: WWII MP reveal/new SP trailer/possible Zombies reveal, Spiderman, GOW, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and if they show The Last Of Us II, it will bring diwn the house.

Even Nintendo will top them they just have to show some cool parts of Mario Odyssey.

Sony will have the best one and Nintendo second or third if bethesda's one is any good.

gatti-man

Major Nelson himself is indicative of everything wrong with Xbox right now. He's a Microsoft lifer in the echo chamber that is the Xbox division. They're dedicated to serving their ever decreasing hardcore fan base, without any real perspective on what steps they need to take to expand beyond that and actually take it to Sony.

At this point I'm ready to agree with you. Whatever made the launch 360 special MS has clearly forgotten. Games are what drive sales. Good hardware is nothing without it. MS is in its weakest position since the OG Xbox as far as games go, maybe weakest of all time imho.

The guy is weak. He doesn't have the clout or charisma necessary to get the backing and funding the Xbox division is clearly in dire need of. Meanwhile he just spits out PR coated lies on Twitter on a regular basis.

Yeah I guess if all you guys do is list all the negative stuff and none of the positive stuff he's done it would seem that way.

Garlador

It was an average, satisfactory conference, but one that definitely lacked a killer app or justified the existence of the Xbox One X.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Microsoft has been in dire need of new games from a variety of IPs they have had a hand in or own outright.

A new Conker, Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Kameo, etc. - something from RARE's enormous IP chest. Something involving Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey. Alan Wake or Ninja Gaiden. A new Crimson Skies. Phantom Dust. A genuine Fable. Shadow Complex. Something scavenged from the remnants of Scalebound. At this point, I'd take a new Brute Force or Blinx: Time Sweeper game.

TDonk

Yeah, that was a bit poor overall to be honest

More gameplay from the 3rd party games
No big surprises really
Not many actual exclusives
And ones that are....weren't showcased very well
No crackdown gameplay/playtime is an actual wtf for me

Bit of an odd one this year.

Still gonna buy it though!

EmiPrime

This conference gave Salty Hippo an aneurysm.

Or made him feel really smug.

I give it 3/10 but they announced OG Xbox BC so it gets a 10/10.

thill1985

Banned
Let's leave it. You keep cycling back to arguments about non exclusive ecosystem.

As I noted originally in its own right - particularly if you game on Xbox - the conference was ok and showed plenty of games. I also noted if viewed competitively it was rather lacking in response to your query why some were down on it.

But you clearly can't accept that angle. It should be obvioud by the end of E3 though.

Actually this post summarises it well.

If competition is what matters, then there is a fair point to be made about X1X having the best multiplatform titles, possibly even retroactively in many cases given the enhancements even to existing non-patched titles. It has always seemed weird to me how something like Shenmue 3 is a feather in Sony's cap even though it's coming to PC, but stuff that is console exclusive to Xbox/Win10 are dismissed without a thought. Similarly for how folks around here respond to marketing deals. When Sony does it they are cheered as being a dominant market leader, but MS seems to get skewered for it at worst or at best the games get ignored.

I say this while being eager to criticize MS for this conference btw. I think $499 is a huge mistake. I also think not explicitly laying out precisely what enhancements are coming for the patched games is a mistake too. I would have preferred they didn't spend so much time on LotR when we have already seen a fair chunk of that game already.

Fitts

Just started watching the conference. Aaaaaaand here's a fucking car... again!

I swear, it's the same damn briefing ever year.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Conference was fine. Can't say I was blown away though. Forza looked great and love the BC stuff - really looking forward to those. I'm not sure what to say when a DBZ game was the best looking thing shown lol.

Lol

The only way Sony wouldn't top this Microsoft presser is if they didn't show up at all.

Call Of Duty: WWII MP reveal/new SP trailer/possible Zombies reveal, Spiderman, GOW, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and if they show The Last Of Us II, it will bring diwn the house.

Aside from TLOU2, that is one big multiplatform game, 2 known entities, 2 pipe dreams. Why is that magocally, objectively better, if the problem for MS was known entities? Lack of long term announcements? But SoT has been at 3 e3s, that is a problem. So why not a problem for FF7? Etc.

13ruce

Banned
The guy is weak. He doesn't have the clout or charisma necessary to get the backing and funding the Xbox division is clearly in dire need of. Meanwhile he just spits out PR coated lies on Twitter on a regular basis.

He had his hands in his pockets while holding a presentation the one thing you don't do while presenting stuff is putting your freaking hands in your pocket.

It shows you are nervous or don't care.

Humdinger

Here's the updated list:

Console Launch Exclusives
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds
Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusives

Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza
State of Decay 2

That's 15. They said 22, so I'm still missing 7. I guess they were buried in that indie montage.

PSlayer

Lol

Call Of Duty: WWII MP reveal/new SP trailer/possible Zombies reveal, Gran Turismo Sport, Spiderman, GOW, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and if they show The Last Of Us II, it will bring down the house.

Sony only need to announce a FROM Software exclusive and this E3 is pretty much over for Xbox.

microdot

So during Spencer's reign he has managed to

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Cancel first party titles
Promise more than they can deliver
Announce consoles at higher price than people are willing to pay
Overhype and Botch E3
Sign off on some of the most cringe PR/Advertising messaging

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of execs at Xbox are just way too comfortable or way too deluded.

Maybe they think their consumer base is like Apple considering their surface products also have a premium price. The Apple of gaming lol.

jaaz

At this point I'm ready to agree with you. Whatever made the launch 360 special MS has clearly forgotten. Games are what drive sales. Good hardware is nothing without it. MS is in its weakest position since the OG Xbox as far as games go, maybe weakest of all time imho.

They have become reactionary, which is not a recipe for success. The XboxX seems like an overreaction to being beat in power when the OG Xbox One and PS4 came out.

Majine

Banned
Lots of games, many of them look great.

Xbox One X is exactly what we all knew already. A premium console designed to play the same games as the S but better.

The thing is, Microsoft has given up the idea of first party exclusives being what keeps them afloat. The real battle now is keeping people in the ecosystem. Services like BC, now with OG Xbox, and Game Pass, does that.

This is simply Microsoft doing what they do best. Because they can't beat Sony in terms of sheer exclusives.

Skatterd

I'm sure many others have said this, but this was a good to great conference for games which did absolutely nothing to sell the Xbox One X.

At least Metro looks hype though!

Here's the updated list:

Console Launch Exclusives
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds
Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusives

Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza
State of Decay 2

That's 15. They said 22, so I'm still missing 7. I guess they were buried in that indie montage.

Yeah at least 6 of those must be exclusive either full or at launch. They showed a massive amount of them in the montage.

For all the shit MS gets for too much Halo and Gears... if there's one thing this conference needed, it's new Halo and Gears.

It would be the equivalent of Nintendo revealing Switch without a Zelda or Mario game to speak of.

Agree. I get sick of them always showing halo, but its mind-boggling to me that when you are showing off new hardware, you dont even have a halo trailer.

They (and any other 4k system) have a similar problem VR has. You can't advertise 4k and HDR on a 1080p screen no matter how hard you try.
You can advertise benefits for 1080p sets though.

I saw that power in Anthem, if that was truly gameplay (and holy shit if so), and AC: Origins and Forza looked great. But I didn't really see it otherwise.

Boke1879

Spencer is odd to me. He definitely listens. The fact that you get OG Xbox support as well is good and the updates to the Xbox OS is amazing.

But he's the master of just telling you what you want to hear. First off I'll say i didn't think Scalebound would have made much of a dent sales wise.

But it was nice to see MS invest in something new for their platform that's kinda out of the norm for them. But they cancel it.

For two years now they haven't had a new first party AAA game to show us. I don't think it's a problem anymore. It's the norm for them I definitely feel there will be very little investment going forward in that aspect.

Markoman

2013 ruined xbox for the next decade, he's done a great job all things considered. surprised this console isn't wii u status

Lol, 2013? They started this shit way earlier. As a former 360 owner I would've bought the whole always online thing and other 2013 bs if MS at one point showed incentive to invest in 1st party content. 4 years and nothing has changed, it's only worse now.

Not that stuff like God of War or TLOU2 isn't important, but the audience is more fickle today. They make the biggest splash at an E3 conference, but it just seems like there's something different going on these days. Minecraft, Rocket League, PUBG... I think if MS can continue to kind of align with multiplayer games that people are currently into, that's more in line with the audience than a blockbuster like Halo or Uncharted. They're kind of filling gaps around that as best they can, and they're not completely striking out there.
Thats a fools errand. Sony has cornered the market on games like Rocket League already and the majority of multiplayer gamers will go to the platform with the biggest userbase

Aside from TLOU2, that is one big multiplatform game, 2 known entities, 2 pipe dreams. Why is that magocally, objectively better, if the problem for MS was known entities? Lack of long term announcements? But SoT has been at 3 e3s, that is a problem. So why not a problem for FF7? Etc.

Most of the "exclusives" MS showed were only timed exclusives. The first party lineup was piss-poor and literally the entire conference sold me on not buying an Xbox One X.

Even the name is a disappointment - at least "Scorpio" had some pizzazz.

Lol, 2013? They started this shit way earlier. As a former 360 owner I would've bought the whole always online thing and other 2013 bs if MS at one point showed incentive to invest in 1st party content. 4 years and nothing has changed, it's only worse now.

But i have played numerous first party games on my xbox.

??
Am i going mad?

wandering

Banned
Lol

Call Of Duty: WWII MP reveal/new SP trailer/possible Zombies reveal, Gran Turismo Sport, Spiderman, GOW, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and if they show The Last Of Us II, it will bring down the house.

Shenmue 3 won't be at this E3, and FFVIIR and TLOU2 are highly unlikely.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
But you got X box BC, Crimson skyes....

Loved Crimson Skies. I wonder how well it has aged...curious to find out.

I think you're being way too harsh. They showed a LOT of games even if they weren't new 1st party games. I don't think you can look poorly on 22 Xbox/PC exclusives regardless of the source.
Timed release window games are hardly exclusives, and to me are not exclusive at all.

Top Bottom