• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here's the updated list:

Console Launch Exclusives
Player Unknowns Battlegrounds
Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusives

Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza
State of Decay 2

That's 15. They said 22, so I'm still missing 7. I guess they were buried in that indie montage.
They are probably counting Crimson Skies

I don't get how MS can't use Rare properly. Show a Banjo, a Conker and Perfect Dark in 4K and you get the internet going nuts. HOW IS THAT SO HARD?!

Sea of thieves looks like an idea that was nice on paper, but dull in practise.

Was fine. Wish they had some more actual exclusives/surprises though. Sequels to Killer Instinct, ReCore, Sunset Overdrive. Just seemed to be lacking that extra something. Probably will still be better than Sony's though (for me at least).

Soi-Fong

It's not a surprise. During the 360 era, MS bought exclusives left and right while Sony invested in 1st party studios giving them free creative reign.

Now we're seeing the fruits of that with MS still having to buy exclusives while Sony now has a wealth of AAA studios under its belt producing exclusive content for the PlayStation brand.

GHG

Yeah I guess if all you guys do is list all the negative stuff and none of the positive stuff he's done it would seem that way.

No, the reality is that he's not been very good for the division and Xbox currently has less clout and identity than it's ever had as a global gaming brand.

Since Peter Moore left its all been downhill. No surprise that he moved on to bigger and better things, he had everything required for a position of this magnitude and much more. He didn't take shit from anyone and always got what was needed to take the brand forward.

He had his hands in his pockets while holding a presentation the one thing you don't do while presenting stuff is putting your freaking hands in your pocket.

It shows you are nervous or don't care.

Yep, if you watch him just before he announces the price his body language is a mess. He couldn't wait to get off that stage.

I think that the main problem rating this conference is depending on how you see it.

The conference as a whole was good, if it wasn't a Microsoft conference it would be good some good games shown but dragged too long.Any publisher would be cool showing those games

But rating it as a Microsoft conference It Was Bad... like really bad.
You can't start a conference announcing 22 exclusives and basically showing timed exclusives over timed exclusives.Especially when you introduce a new hardware that is supposed to crush competition.

Besides Forza and to be fair a racing game would not really show the difference between the xbox x and the pro, the only games interesting were all multiplatforms and maybe they showcased the Xbox X well, but maybe we should wait to compare it to their ps4 pro counter part.

So a good conference if it were a mere publisher but as a Microsoft conf I don't want to buy a scorpio or a Xbox no exclusives interested me and almost everything shown was multiplatform.

People want new games Microsoft, and exclusives are a good way to gather interest in your console.

This is basically the issue, I feel. As a "get hyped about games" conference, it was good. As a "sell people on a brand new piece of 499 hardware that they'll probably also have to pay for multiplayer access for" conference, it didn't do it (it seems). So it got boiled down to a yes/no question and it's getting graded as such.

Kind of a shame tbh. There was some sweet stuff in there.

Q8D3vil

MS are just doubling down on games as services and its visible in their games lineup.
Tbh its hard to tell how the market will react. Most people here will say that they are dead in the water, but then again most of us care about games with sp experience so we dont know how casuals will actually react to it.

jelly

Spencer is odd to me. He definitely listens. The fact that you get OG Xbox support as well is good and the updates to the Xbox OS is amazing.

But he's the master of just telling you what you want to hear. First off I'll say i didn't think Scalebound would have made much of a dent sales wise.

But it was nice to see MS invest in something new for their platform that's kinda out of the norm for them. But they cancel it.

For two years now they haven't had a new first party AAA game to show us. I don't think it's a problem anymore. It's the norm for them I definitely feel there will be very little investment going forward in that aspect.

He listens when it's cost effective. 360 and Original Xbox BC is hard complicated work but the cost is nothing compared to a AAA game or two and the amount of content you get in return is obscene as well as easy money, consumer lock in. No brainer.

Floody

Did they say it was running on the XboneX? Because I highly doubt it was. Looks like it was running on a high-end PC to me.

Also, I'll be shocked if the final product even looks close to that good. It looked like the best looking game ever with nothing coming close, which is usually a big red flag.

Is there a general E3 thread to discuss random thoughts not specific to anyones presser? Can't seem to find one. Right now I'm just thinking it's a way too looong of a wait for Bethesda 😒 I'm aching for that Wolfenstein.

00ich

It's the same as timed exclusive. It'll release on Xbox first, then come to PS some time later. Maybe a couple weeks, maybe a couple months. .

Thank you.
I hope everyone involved knows what they are doing.
Outside of AAA releases with large marketing campaigns this seems like a waste of money for everyone.

Cranster

Banned
I thought it was a pretty good showing just by the games shown. At the sametime though the inner Halo fan in me was cursing in disappointment at the lack of a Halo announcement.

gatti-man

They have become reactionary, which is not a recipe for success. The XboxX seems like an overreaction to being beat in power when the OG Xbox One and PS4 came out.

Imagine a Halo or new IP tailor made for the X. Even just one killer app. MS just handed us a Ferrari with no tires. How in the blue blazes they thought that was a good idea shows what you can expect from them moving forward.

Sagroth

I wouldn't call this a bad presser, but as someone who came into looking for confirmation that I should get a Xbox One X, I came out rather disappointed. I mean, it wasn't full of cringe like some earlier years(although bringing out a Porsche got an audible groan from me), but Crackdown looked like hot garbage and the announcement that had me the most hyped was the OXbox backwards compatibility.

Edit: it just occurred to me that I don't think we got a single major new 1st party announcement from Microsoft at the event, and that speaks volumes.

Sydle

I don't get how MS can't use Rare properly. Show a Banjo, a Conker and Perfect Dark in 4K and you get the internet going nuts. HOW IS THAT SO HARD?!

Wasn't GAF upset that MS had so much control over Rare in the early days? Spencer lets them make what they want to make and now you're suggesting MS step in and tell them what to do?

As for saying it's dull, I'd suggest giving it a shot before you come to that conclusion. It's one of the most fun MP games I've ever played when you have a crew working together and talking to each other.

I liked it! I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. No Halo was a disappointment. Anthem was nice but the banter was cringy as heck. Crackdown 3 is interesting cause Terry Crews did say he was going to be at E3 a month or two ago but many assumed it would be for Overwatch's Doomfist. Cuohead is exciting. BC with OG XBOX is an amazing blessing that even though some of you couldn't care less about (even mocking some who are excited for it), it's something that I always wanted! I'm not that interested in Sea of Thieves but it looked good. I thought that Super Lucky game was Conker.

Plus I really really liked that Black Desert game and those Japanese or JRPG like games! Code Void and something else.

Prefer the name Scorpio to Xbox One X. Price is really high but I'll see what I can do.

I feel like I stepped into Bizaro land coming in this thread. MS games going forward are both on PC and Console. So all I saw were a ton of great looking games I'm now looking towards playing on PC.

7/10 for me

Jerm411

Has Xbox become boring?

To me....yeah.

You know what you're getting with them and their "holy shit" moments aren't that....even though they believe that and think the gaming community does as well.

Sony just does a better job at creating buzz, aligning themselves with the IP and things that frankly matter the most, and creating moments that are remembered and talked about no matter what the outcome is.

Their partnership with Kojima encapsulates all of that and is only one example....there's soooo many more.

What's one from MS that is even close? Backwards compatibility I guess....?

Most of Microsoft's "exclusive" games all have that cheap, Saturday morning cartoon/Clone Wars look to them [Sea of Thieves for example].

I don't like it.

Star-Wars-The-Clone-Wars-2003.jpg

PSlayer

2013 ruined xbox for the next decade, he's done a great job all things considered. surprised this console isn't wii u status

The problems with Xbox started in the second half of the 7th generation.

>Lack of first party games outside of Forza>Halo>gears
>Lack of japanese support and japanese exclusives.
>Lack of third party exclusives.
>Too much focus on "first on xbox" content
>Too much focus on expensive gimmicks
>Xbox exclusives coming to PC.

All those problems can be traced back to the second half of Xbox 360 life but it got worse with Xbox one because instead of trying to fix it MS went balls deep with this formula.

Matt

If a game isn't going to make money for MS, and especially if it doesn't have a post launch GaaS setup, it's probably not getting made.

Lol, 2013? They started this shit way earlier. As a former 360 owner I would've bought the whole always online thing and other 2013 bs if MS at one point showed incentive to invest in 1st party content. 4 years and nothing has changed, it's only worse now.
revenue and profit obviously took an hit in the estimate. with that said microsoft needs to do better. forget building studios they need to just straight up buy one they're behind

Nydius

I fell asleep during this conference so i'm going to say yes.

I legitimately started to nod off about half way through the Sea of Thieves presentation. I don't know many people who will be interested in a quasi-MMO, co-op pirate game where a bunch of the gameplay is just mundane tasks and the rest is hunting down treasure chests for what appears to be crap tier loot.

It really feels like someone had a bigger vision for the game but when it came to execution they realized they couldn't pull it off. Of course, this also gave me the nostalgic "Man, it sucks to see what's become of Rare" thoughts.

I feel like I stepped into Bizaro land coming in this thread. MS games going forward are both on PC and Console. So all I saw were a ton of great looking games I'm now looking towards playing on PC.

7/10 for me

Not really necessarily bizarro land then.

Many of those PC games you won't even need to buy from Microsoft's digital store to play on your PC since they'll probably be on Steam/GOG (plus if you have a PS4). And this was a Microsoft conference.

Dragun619

Any other year it would have been a solid conference. But where was their Breath of the Wild / Mario Odyssey / God of War / Horizon?

Yeah, this is kinda my take as well. Like they had the games but if your talking about a new console, I didn't see a Killer App that would make me drop $500 for an Xbox One X over the cheaper alternatives.

kadotsu

Banned
If a game isn't going to make money for MS, and especially if it doesn't have a post launch GaaS setup, it's probably not getting made.

I wonder what type of monetization they'll do for Sea of Thieves? That game seems like it could become very unfun with even a little bit of microtransaction fuckery.

Tyaren

I expected they'd push Scorpio much, much more.

They didn't push it enough? I thought the whole show was basically them saying: Buy the X, the old Xbox is history, the only true Xbox experience is the X!
They were way more aggressive about it than Sony ever was with the PS4 Pro. They still made sure that the PS4 is seen as the standard PS4. In their upcoming press conference they will likely show all their games running on the standard PS4 as well.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This is basically the issue, I feel. As a "get hyped about games" conference, it was good. As a "sell people on a brand new piece of 499 hardware that they'll probably also have to pay for multiplayer access for" conference, it didn't do it (it seems). So it got boiled down to a yes/no question and it's getting graded as such.

Kind of a shame tbh. There was some sweet stuff in there.

Yeah someone needs to remind MS that they needed to sell their Xbox X with something else than raw power.

I won't pay 500$ for something that I can play on litterally every other platform at that price let me just upgrade my GPU and play Ps4 exclusives.

It's the first time that a console maker sold me on a ps4 pro during its conference and I never wanted a pro.
There were great games, and I'll be happy to play them on my ps4 or pc at no extra cost as well as a lot of games that are not on Xbox.

So Basically some great games but if they wanted to sell me an Xbox it was one of the worst conferrence that they could do.

The majority of the conference did nothing for me personally, but at the very least I don't feel like it was a waste of my time. Probably the best Microsoft conference I've seen.

Wereroku

I wonder what type of monetization they'll do for Sea of Thieves? That game seems like it could become very unfun with even a little bit of microtransaction fuckery.

It really depends on how the pvp works. Having microtransaction fuckery in the coop pve stuff would be fine it's how it spills over into any pvp stuff that starts to suck.

EulaCapra

I don't even have X-Box One and I thought that was a nice conference minus the 90 minutes length and that $500 applause.

A nice conference for a console I still can't justify to purchase due to the slim amount of X-Box/Windows exclusives on the horizon. I enjoyed the show though.

dmix90

So they don't even bother to announce big AAA exclusive games anymore. Not announced no need to cancel... They have nothing and not willing to invest in that area. Super disappointing.

Well they did keep their promise off giving away free games if you watch on Mixer.

Too bad they gave me the one game I did not want. Rare Replay.

thill1985

Banned
You can advertise benefits for 1080p sets though.

I saw that power in Anthem, if that was truly gameplay (and holy shit if so), and AC: Origins and Forza looked great. But I didn't really see it otherwise.

Yup. Metro too actually. I was disappointed not to see Crackdown 3's cloud tech shown off. I feel like just saying the games are in native 4K (nearly all of them shown) isn't enough. They should partner with DF to help them show off the comparisons between X1X and X1S in ways folks can actually see side by side on their monitors.

Top Bottom