• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 World Baseball Classic |OT| America prevails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ehkneXz.jpg

qubZTPl.jpg

2006 Champion: Japan

2009 Champion: Japan

2013 Champion: Dominican Republic

2017 Champion: United States of America

Wiki

How to Watch in the US:

MLB Network
MLB.TV
ESPN Deportes

Where to watch internationally

Official World Baseball Classic Website

Schedule

Bracket

Baseball America Coverage

First Round - Round Robin

Pool A:

March 6th-10th

Seoul: Gocheok Sky Dome

M9V6Oty.jpg

Baseball America Pool A Preview

Israel

Notable Players: 1B Ike Davis, C Ryan Lavarnway, 2B Ty Kelly
Playing in an extremely competitive pool, getting even just a win against Taiwan would be a solid showing for the first-time qualifer.

Korea

Notable Players: 1B Tae-Kyun Kim, RHP Seung-Hwan Oh, LHP Won-Jun Jang
Playing at home, South Korea should be a shoo-in to advance to the second round.

Netherlands

Notable Players: 3B Xander Bogaerts, SS Andrelton Simmons, SS Didi Gregorius
A favorite to advance to the second round, but a thin pitching staff could derail a deep run.

Chinese Taipei

Notable Players: SS Chih-Sheng Lin, OF Kuo-Hui Kao, RHP Chun-Lin Kuo
Taiwan's hitters should be closer to midseason form than most teams because of their intensive preparation, but this is a lineup and pitching staff that doesn't wow scouts.

Pool B:

March 7th-11th

Tokyo: Tokyo Dome

DpI5RyG.jpg

Baseball America Pool B Preview

Australia

Notable Players: RHP Peter Moylan, LHP Travis Blackley, OF Trent Oeltjen
Perhaps the best team the Aussies have had, but they still need every player at the top of his game to advance.

China

Notable Players: SS Ray Chang, LHP Bruce Chen, RHP Kwon Ju
China is an extreme long shot to get past the first round, but the focus here will be on how much improvement Chinese baseball has made since the 2013 WBC. Progress can be slow, but the arrows from 2013 are pointing in the right direction.

Cuba

Notable Players: OF Alfredo Despaigne, OF Victor Mesa, RHP Vladimir Garcia
At the first WBC, Cuba was a powerhouse team. Now, the question isn't whether they will win, but whether they will make it past the first round.

Japan

Notable Players: RHP Shintaro Fujinami, 2B Tetsuto Yamada, RHP Takahiro Norimoto
Japan should easily advance to the second round and it would be a disappointment if they didn't at least reach the semifinals. Even without Ohtani and some of their best pitching, Japan is a legitimate threat to win it all.

Pool C:

March 9th-13th

Miami: Marlins Park

kjaEjMK.png

Baseball America Pool C Preview

Canada

Notable Players: 1B Justin Morneau, 1B Freddie Freeman, RHP John Axford

Taking on the defending champions and a stacked USA roster, the Canadians have an uphill battle to reach the second round for the first time.

Columbia

Notable Players: LHP Jose Quintana, RHP Julio Teheran, 2B Dilson Herrera
Just glad to be here.

Dominican Republic

Notable Players: 2B Robinson Cano, 3B Manny Machado, RHP Johnny Cueto
Once again the favorite, with a repeat title in their grasp.

United States

Notable Players: C Buster Posey, 3B Nolan Arenado, LHP Andrew Miller
Semifinals possible, but a title would require an upset or two.

Pool D:

March 9th-13th

Jalisco: Estadio de Béisbol Charros de Jalisco

3zeic5r.jpg

Baseball America Pool D Preview

Italy

Notable Players: 1B/DH Chris Colabello, C Francisco Cervelli, 2B/3B Daniel Descalso

Italy was a big surprise in 2013 with its upset of Mexico, but stands little chance of getting out of the first round in this Group of Death.

Mexico

Notable Players: 1B Adrian Gonzalez, LHP Julio Urias, RHP Roberto Osuna

Second round in reach, especially with home-field advantage in round one.

Puerto Rico

Notable Players: SS Carlos Correa, SS Francisco Lindor, OF Carlos Beltran
Once again a title contender, with anything less than a semifinals trip a deep disappointment.

Venezuela

Notable Players: 1B Miguel Cabrera, 2B Jose Altuve, RHP Felix Hernandez
Will go as far as pitching takes them, which could be safely second round.

2nd Round - Round Robin

Pool E:

Top two teams in Pool A vs. Top two teams in Pool B

March 12th-16th

Tokyo: Tokyo Dome

Sjczpl9.jpg

Pool F:

Top two teams in Pool C vs. Top two teams in Pool D

March 14th-19th

San Diego: Petco Park

exQMkfO.png

Championship Round - Single Elimination

Top two teams in Pool E vs. Top two teams in Pool F

March 20th-22nd

Los Angeles: Dodger Stadium

klqGwNO.png

shira

Cool OP

Are pro teams insuring their players for this - how is that working this time around

Windu

Cool OP

Are pro teams insuring their players for this - how is that working this time around
yeah i think there is some kind of insurance involved. I was listening to a Baseball America podcast and they mentioned that the US team, even if they had all of their best pitchers wanting to play, the wouldn't be able to afford the insurance.

edit: BA WBC Preview podcast is on this page http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/media/podcasts/

Choomp

Banned
Probably the best team US has put out, even if it was a lot better at an earlier point. Hope they capitalize, this morning's game was really fun.

Windu

Probably the best team US has put out, even if it was a lot better at an earlier point. Hope they capitalize, this morning's game was really fun.
i still don't think they get out of the 2nd round. we'll see. I guess anything can happen, just look at this morning's game.

NYCrooner

Rooting hard as fuck for Puerto Rico. I was crushed when we lost to our rival island Dominican Republic last WBC. All in good fun though. LOVE baseball.

bryehn

Axford withdrew for Canada. Gonna be tough to win a game in that pool. I'd be super happy to see it happen though, but yeah...

Was up at 5 to watch the 1st game, Israel left like 86 guys on base. Caffeine willing, I'll actually see 'em play twice on the same day (EST)

USA USA USA!

If the US doesn't take it I hope Mexico does, but yeah I know the most realistic scenario is either DR, Puerto Rico, or Japan taking it.

Not terribly surprised by Korea falling off, if the pitching couldn't get hit they weren't going anywhere. Amazed Israel is looking good to advance though.

clav

i still don't think they get out of the 2nd round. we'll see. I guess anything can happen, just look at this morning's game.

Looks like a good paper team.

A lot of young rising stars and some old reliables.

Team looks like it needs HRs to live. A few non-power hitters in that line up.

clemenx

Banned
I seem to recall he has a straight high 90s heater and nothing else. He was with the Twins system I think but never made it.

Caught Japan vs Cuba thanks to my DVR and it was fantastic as expected. There is just something about watching Japanese baseball that I just really love. The energy of the crowd and the atmosphere at the Tokyo Dome is special. Wish Ohtani was playing but overall excited to watch the rest of Samurai Japan's games. So Korea hasn't looked good huh? That's a shame I recently started investigating the KBO and was hoping for a solid showing from them as well.

Windu

Netherlands and Israel will advance to the next round.
Japan methinks won't have much of a problem advancing to the finals. The Netherlands might pose a threat but they don't have much pitching. They really should redo these Pools to make them more balanced.

I have to admit, despite thinking it was a bad idea from the outset, the World Baseball Classic has grown on me.

It's too bad the Israel Baseball League never took off.

Windu

Watch out DR. US Born Canadian Freddie Freeman is going to drown you in Maple syrup tonight at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom