• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

it also leads to one of the seasons. i think it e
was season 4?

It's 6 months after 2, therefore 2 years before 3. Tony & Michelle are together but not married, Chase & Chloe are working together for CTU DC, and Chase first meets Jack undercover and then eventually is asked to go and work for CTU LA. It also JUST SO HAPPENS to be both Kim & Adam's first days at CTU. Nina & Mandy are also involved in the day's events, and the mastermind turns out to be the mysterious mastermind behind Day 2 who ordered Palmer poisoned, who is never again seen in the show (because he bites it in the game.)

I'm rewatching Season 5 to fill in the void. Up to ep. 13 now. I remember I was upset because
Tony didn't get the silent clock

I've reluctantly started rewatching series 2. The first episode was great, because I'd completely forgotten quite how ridiculous Jack's early escapades were
Murder and decapitate a key witness in federal custody just to help him return to an old undercover alias. Oh, Jack
, but the 4-5 eps after that so far have been quite the slog.

glottis8

Banned
It's 6 months after 2, therefore 2 years before 3. Tony & Michelle are together but not married, Chase & Chloe are working together for CTU DC, and Chase first meets Jack undercover and then eventually is asked to go and work for CTU LA. It also JUST SO HAPPENS to be both Kim & Adam's first days at CTU. Nina & Mandy are also involved in the day's events, and the mastermind turns out to be the mysterious mastermind behind Day 2 who ordered Palmer poisoned, who is never again seen in the show (because he bites it in the game.)

good call. i just looked that up. its a good game leading to a great season.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't want to make a rttp thread and since I already posted some thoughts on my season 1 rewatch here, let me conclude with some thoughts now that I finished it.

-overall it was a lot weaker than my rose tinted memory remembered
-the
Nina double twist is funny because at the start of each ep when jack is doing his little speech, when he says ppl that work with him might be involved, the camera zooms in on her (which technically was the same intro from the start when it made sense but I thought it was funny)
-
terry
dying is still a good moment and I remember being shocked the first time
- Chloe isn't in season 1 at all! I thought she and jack were in all
- Jack still wasn't the ruthless badass we know him as

Anyway on to S2

Bishop89

I don't want to make a rttp thread and since I already posted some thoughts on my season 1 rewatch here, let me conclude with some thoughts now that I finished it.

-overall it was a lot weaker than my rose tinted memory remembered
-the
Nina double twist is funny because at the start of each ep when jack is doing his little speech, when he says ppl that work with him might be involved, the camera zooms in on her (which technically was the same intro from the start when it made sense but I thought it was funny)
-
terry
dying is still a good moment and I remember being shocked the first time
- Chloe isn't in season 1 at all! I thought she and jack were in all
- Jack still wasn't the ruthless badass we know him as

Anyway on to S2

Have fun with that first episode ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have fun with that first episode ;)

- Jack has a sick beard
- hello creepy rapey mcbeatshiswife
- hey look Kim is still being annoying
- there are a lot of blondes in this episode
- aaaaaaaand HERE'S the Jack we know,
killing federal witnesses (even tho they are hilariously careful to point out he was a murderer and a pedophile)
- Jack no longer has a sick beard :(
- still no Chloe what the fuck??

Well at least it gets down to it much faster than season 1 ever did :)

Rich!

- Jack has a sick beard
- hello creepy rapey mcbeatshiswife
- hey look Kim is still being annoying
- there are a lot of blondes in this episode
- aaaaaaaand HERE'S the Jack we know,
killing federal witnesses (even tho they are hilariously careful to point out he was a murderer and a pedophile)
- Jack no longer has a sick beard :(
- still no Chloe what the fuck??

Well at least it gets down to it much faster than season 1 ever did :)

Season 2 was my first season, way back in 2002. Just imagine what was going through my mind when watching it

First thoughts were essentially "WHAT THE FUCK. THIS GUY IS A LUNATIC"

Also Chloe doesnt appear until S3. We all hated her at first, as did Jack. DAMNIT CHLOE JUST DO IT

Season 2 was my first season, way back in 2002. Just imagine what was going through my mind when watching it

Also Chloe doesnt appear until S3. We all hated her at first, as did Jack. DAMNIT CHLOE JUST DO IT

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who when watching S3 as it aired who was convinced Chloe was either going to be working for the villains at worst or at best a major thorn in the side of Jack and company. Oh how wrong I was about Chloe.

glottis8

Banned
I'm sure I wasn't the only one who when watching S3 as it aired who was convinced Chloe was either going to be working for the villains at worst or at best a major thorn in the side of Jack and company. Oh how wrong I was about Chloe.

Can't help but chuckle a little bit whenever i see her tho. With Chloe's iconic pouty face.

mary_lynn_rajskub-chloe_obrian-101.jpg

I don't recall thinking that.. but also, i know that the show tends to put everyone in the suspect list one way or another as the show moved on.

Come to think of it, a great way to end the London series would have been to add the following to the final shot:

The chopper takes off with Jack inside.
Jack offers the slightest hint of a rye smile as London's cityscape fills the nearby window.

JACK​
(beat)​
...what the fuck was she wearing?​

They made no reference to it at all!.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've always wondered why 24 had the huge changeup after season 2. The way it ends, and season 3 begins, it kind of brushes it's hand of finishing up loose threads (Palmer and "Max")

Maybe they had the videogame thing planned, but I wonder if it was some sort of writer's room decision to go with something else.

Always figured they'd get to Max, and what seemed to be some sort of German Spy network (Nina and her contacts). But nope, never really did anything with that, unless it was in the game.

Yeah, but a show like 24, the game came out during season 5...so I don't think they could have planned on the game even happening that far ahead, much less finishing production and being able to tell a serious story tying up everything from season 2.

sw26

You guys remember 24: The Game?

http://youtu.be/45IbdMQ6pV4

I kind of want to play this again

Dat Tanker mission

This was/is honestly one of my favourite underrated games on the PS2.

I don't remember many of the details now, and I'm sure without the licence I either wouldn't have played it or done so and thought it was hot garbage, but I remember absolutely loving it at the time.

In need of a replay I think.

I've always wondered why 24 had the huge changeup after season 2. The way it ends, and season 3 begins, it kind of brushes it's hand of finishing up loose threads (Palmer and "Max")

Maybe they had the videogame thing planned, but I wonder if it was some sort of writer's room decision to go with something else.

Always figured they'd get to Max, and what seemed to be some sort of German Spy network (Nina and her contacts). But nope, never really did anything with that, unless it was in the game.

Yeah, the fact that the "German Spy conspiracy" popped up at the end of Season 1 makes me interested in what the original direction was for Season 3, if there indeed was a plan for an overarching plot that got ditched.

I'm so happy this season promised no bullshit and actually mostly delivered. There were some unnecessary or awkward stories going on, but it was mostly kept tight, and it's probably the best season now. I'll have to rewatch 5, but I imagine there's too much wasted time in comparison.

spekkeh

Banned
Great season. 12 Hours works better, less bullshit. Just a single plot with a few surprise twists at the end. The techspeak throughout the season was some major bullshit though, how difficult is it to make it at least a bit plausible. What always attracted me to the concept was that everything was made 'believable', characters get tired, have to go to the bathroom, traveling takes time etc., though I guess that was thrown out the window a long time ago.

Heller's alzheimer turned out to be a great denouement. Though what annoyed me was
Audrey getting shot 'oh yep she's dead'; not even trying cpr or anything
, then again people get unconscious from two second choke holds too, so at least it's consistent.

Rich!

24 was never that.

It most definitely was, in S1.

1. Everyone turned up at midnight in CTU not ready for work, a few people complaining about the situation. Tony and Nina came wearing nightclub clothes.

2. Milo was constantly complaining about the time of day he got bought in for.

3. Jack Bauer was feeling the strain of the hours and fell asleep whilst holding that waitress hostage. The waitress who was going to work on her breakfast time shift....at breakfast time.

4. Numerous references throughout the season about the strain of the day, the long hours, and how it was taking its toll on everyone. Keith Palmer made a particuarly good reference of this at one point.

5. Travelling took time. The journey from where he was holding the waitress hostage to the point where Bauer got to Ted Cofell's office took an entire episode. It was realistic. LA traffic was taken into account.

6. After Bauer rescued Teri and Kim, he had a microwaveable meal in ep 13. The Drazens had dinner at dinnertime. Palmer's primary celebration took place at the correct time of day.

etc etc. I could go on. S2 onwards is when the real time aspect went a bit out of the window.

It most definitely was, in S1.

1. Everyone turned up at midnight in CTU not ready for work, a few people complaining about the situation. Tony and Nina came wearing nightclub clothes.

2. Milo was constantly complaining about the time of day he got bought in for.

3. Jack Bauer was feeling the strain of the hours and fell asleep whilst holding that waitress hostage. The waitress who was going to work on her breakfast time shift....at breakfast time.

4. Numerous references throughout the season about the strain of the day, the long hours, and how it was taking its toll on everyone. Keith Palmer made a particuarly good reference of this at one point.

5. Travelling took time. The journey from where he was holding the waitress hostage to the point where Bauer got to Ted Cofell's office took an entire episode. It was realistic. LA traffic was taken into account.

6. After Bauer rescued Teri and Kim, he had a microwaveable meal in ep 13. The Drazens had dinner at dinnertime. Palmer's primary celebration took place at the correct time of day.

etc etc. I could go on. S2 onwards is when the real time aspect went a bit out of the window.

Must admit, I don't remember any of those things. I've watched 24 since the start though, and I've never known its 'realism' with regards to time to be anything but mocked.

Rich!

Must admit, I don't remember any of those things. I've watched 24 since the start though, and I've never known its 'realism' with regards to time to be anything but mocked.

Well, throughout season 1 and the first half of Season 2 it was praised. After that...it wasn't.

spekkeh

Banned
^ Exactly. Victor Drazen also got on a plane and only came back seven episodes later. That's what got me into 24 in the first place. Of course I stayed for Wei Shen motherfucker Jack Bauer. But I still rate season 1 near the top for doing that.

Rich!

^ Exactly. Victor Drazen also got on a plane and only came back seven episodes later. That's what got me into 24 in the first place. Of course I stayed for Wei Shen motherfucker Jack Bauer. But I still rate season 1 near the top for doing that.

you mean andre drazen, I take it?

because yeah, that was good. He phoned Ira Gaines, said "I'll be with you in two and a half hours" and he was there in two and a half hours.

I was actually on Chloe's side when she had the conflict with Kim though :D

bndadm

I've reluctantly started rewatching series 2. The first episode was great, because I'd completely forgotten quite how ridiculous Jack's early escapades were
Murder and decapitate a key witness in federal custody just to help him return to an old undercover alias. Oh, Jack
, but the 4-5 eps after that so far have been quite the slog.

Yeah right after episode 3 (maybe episode 4 is still strong), but I'd say episodes 5-7 or 8 are pretty slow. Not nearly like season 3's opening episodes from about 8-12 slow, but the same.

So I always wanted to ask the NeoGAF 24 fans - were any of you at the marathon event a few years ago when the show had gone off the air? In Hollywood/Vine area? I was (made it 36 hours, not including the 9 hours I had been up before it started).

Tookay

I wonder what kind of a movie would be if they decide to adapt the show. I guess 24 redemption was kind of like it, and it was pretty good.

They talked about how if they ever did a movie, they had an idea where the first half of it was talking place across 23 hours of the day and then at the halfway mark, the bomb (or whatever) gets set and it goes real-time for the last hour.

They talked about how if they ever did a movie, they had an idea where the first half of it was talking place across 23 hours of the day and then at the halfway mark, the bomb (or whatever) gets set and it goes real-time for the last hour.

Personally I'm really glad the show got revived as a series instead of a film. A film would require such a bastardisastion of the show's identity that the only real benefit you'd get out of it is an increased budget, and the budget of the show has never really been that much of a problem. Yeah, we got some really shoddy scenes in DC and New York, but as far as the narrative goes, they made it work and it never really felt the story was actively being held back by its budget.

Nameless

Nerd confession: Sometimes, when rewatching 24, I'll watch the day time episodes during the day and the night episodes at night in order to further immerse myself in the experience.

Is anywhere supposed to live blog this panel?

I'm not realistically expecting a season 10 announcement or anything, but any inside info on my favorite show is always fun.

I'm hoping for news on a continuation, but I'd take a bluray box set as a consolation prize. Because we should all have to beg to re-buy things and give corporations hundreds of dollars!

Is anywhere supposed to live blog this panel?
Usually there are a few outlets that will live blog the panels. I don't know of any specific ones that have said they'll be there for 24, so just search around right before it starts.
So is there a place to watch that panel from Comic Con?
Probably not live, but typically someone will have footage a little later. Either something that a fan took on a phone or an official one.

Rich!

"Kiefer says the end of the season was incredibly hard to do. "On some level we copped out because we couldn't end it""

edit:

ah, so it was Kiefer who came up with the window throwing idea, not the writers.

hopefully everyone can stop fucking moaning about it now lol. If anyone knows Jack Bauer, it's him.

Top Bottom