• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 Women on why they wear (or don't wear) makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
It very much is, actually. First, it doesn't require a hypothetical vacuum: it could be a preference born entirely of our genetics, our epigenetics, or of epidemiological factors. Alternatively, it could be a social construct.

The reason why this is important: because we cannot meaningfully change genetic or epigenetic variables, and we are only beginning to have the ability to affect epidemiological vectors. They are outside our control in the most meaningful sense. As an example, homosexuality (and heterosexuality) are considered genetic and epigenetic variables, and as such are not considered meaningfully alterable even if our society was radically different. We can't prevent heterosexuality/homosexuality even if we wanted to.

By contrast, we can affect behaviors which are engendered by social constructs. Social constructs are within our control. This is precisely how women gradually entered the work force; our society changed in such ways which made women in the work force socially permissible, and over time (as in, nearly a century) the preferences of women changed.

Did their preferences really change, or stagnating wages have forced families to have 2 incomes to survive? I'm sure a lot of those women who work 2 minimum wage jobs would love to be able to be stay at home moms and take care of their kids instead of working those soul crushing jobs, but that's just me. A quick google didn't really find much info on increased happiness by women in the workforce, I'd like to see a study comparing the perceived happiness of both actually.

kirblar

Did their preferences really change, or stagnating wages have forced families to have 2 incomes to survive? I'm sure a lot of those women who work 2 minimum wage jobs would love to be able to be stay at home moms and take care of their kids instead of working those soul crushing jobs, but that's just me. A quick google didn't really find much info on increased happiness by women in the workforce, I'd like to see a study comparing the perceived happiness of both actually.
A large % of women prefer PT work to FT - not a majority but its a significant minority. Among men, though, almost all prefer FT. (Working off memory of the surveys so could be slightly off.)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't get what the problem is. Why should I care for what other people are wearing?
You have to look at them. It doesn't matter at all regarding strangers on the street, but when choosing people you're going to spend any amount of time around you have preferences. How much they affect your choices depends on how strong the preference is and whether or not a person has any other value which might negate your preference.

Marlowe89

As a heterosexual male, I've always had a strange attraction to makeup from a sort of artistic perspective - going to Instagram or wherever and checking out various creative applications of mascara and eyeliner has always fascinated me for some reason. Were I a female, I'd definitely have an absolute blast with this stuff and I doubt that would necessarily arise from some huge societal pressure in my case specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom