• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 Women on why they wear (or don't wear) makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do:

1876ac10-fa47-0131-6dc0-0aa0f90d87b4.jpg

1876bb50-fa47-0131-6dba-0aa0f90d87b4.jpg

cfa192f0-ffbf-0131-6fe6-0add9426c766.jpg

More at the link

Mesoian

::Shrugs:: They're all right.

Do what you want, I'm not your dad.

This one though....

cf81b900-ffbf-0131-6fe5-0add9426c766.jpg

Do you pumpkin girl. Do you.

Opiate

So the first reason is interesting to me: "I'm a grown woman and I can do whatever I want." This is similar to many others: "Because I like it," for instance.

On a superficial level, this argument seems difficult to argue against, but I think a more probing analysis might say otherwise. Most importantly: well, why does that woman want to do what she wants to do? Why does the woman like it?

Do she/we think she wants to wear makeup because that's just who she is? Or do we think that her desire to wear makeup is influenced by external forces outside her control -- some of which may be insidious?

As a more extreme example to clarify the concept: imagine a 1950s housewife. A huge number of these women were perfectly happy being housewives. The question we might ask, then, is why was that the case? Did it just happen to be true that a lot more women at that time wanted to be domestic than there are presently? I think a reasonable person could argue that many of these women were influenced by society in such a way that they viewed domestic life as their "proper" place, without ever being aware that they were being influenced in this fashion. They did prefer to be domestic, but those preferences did not spring out of thin air, and were not created by their brains alone (or even created by their brains primarily).

Similarly, the notion that women just want to wear makeup because that's who they are is a suspect notion. How did they get to be "who they are?" How did they end up liking the things they like?

Well sure. Of course its their choice.

I don't think anyone really demands an explanation for why someone isn't wearing makeup.

Eh, it happens in the work place, and I know guys who complain if their girlfriend goes out without makeup.

Personally I'm fine with or without. Not a fan of the super overdone caked on makeup look though.

Everyone should do what makes them happy, but wearing make-up can be a vortex of evil (damages the skin to where you need to wear more to cover the damage wearing it caused, creates a certain expectation for people, etc.). It's like they're one person when they're wearing it, then unrecognizable when they take it off. I just wish people didn't feel such pressure to look perfect all the time.

Well sure. Of course its their choice.

I don't think anyone really demands an explanation for why someone isn't wearing makeup.

When you don't, people sometimes ask you if you're sick or unwell. And if you don't, then do on occasion, people sometimes ask you what the 'big night' is about or some such. It's all quite silly and/or annoying.

Makeup isn't a problem for me but I prefer a woman who is beautifull without it. I just don't like females who cake the shit on and end up looking like a drag queen or the joker.

Mesoian

Eh, it happens in the work place, and I know guys who complain if their girlfriend goes out without makeup.

Personally I'm fine with or without. Not a fan of the super overdone caked on makeup look though.

Those guys should be lucky she decides to stick around.

AlexBasch

I just dislike when they cake themselves in makeup and get close to me. Other than that, it's a free world and wear whatever you want to wear. Just stay away from my face if you plaster yours with makeup.

I feel more comfortable with women without makeup than a girl with plasters of makeup combined with sweat, to be honest. :p

I like a little make up on women but I had to tell a girl at work to lay off all the eye liner. She looks so much better with little to none. She was cool with the advice and a year later hasn't gone back.

Zakalwe

Banned
When you don't, people sometimes ask you if you're sick or unwell. And if you don't, then do on occasion, people sometimes ask you what the 'big night' is about or some such. It's all quite silly and/or annoying.

I think this one is usually just boring/awkward people making rubbish conversation. :p

Rad-

A little makeup makes most women look better but too much makeup is also a huge turnoff. To me that just screams lack of natural confidence.

Opiate

Everyone should do what makes them happy, but wearing make-up can be a vortex of evil (damages the skin to where you need to wear more to cover the damage wearing it caused, creates a certain expectation for people, etc.). It's like they're one person when they're wearing it, then unrecognizable when they take it off. I just wish people didn't feel such pressure to look perfect all the time.

I agree with this strongly. On an individual level, it's probably too late to significantly influence the preferences of a single person, let alone a grown person, as most people's preferences and attitudes change little after age 20 or so.

But on a larger level, surely we can agree that some women like to wear make up for reasons which are not entirely of their own making.

Yes, some women like to wear make up. But why do they like it? Some women want to wear make up. By why do they want to? Where did those preferences come from in the first place? Some people might argue these are innate preferences that are just built in to women. I would strongly argue otherwise, and would suggest that these preferences are primarily instilled in women from a young age by society at large.

Sketchbag

Banned
So the first reason is interesting to me: "I'm a grown woman and I can do whatever I want." This is similar to many others: "Because I like it," for instance.

On a superficial level, this argument seems difficult to argue against, but I think a more probing analysis might say otherwise. Most importantly: well, why does that woman want to do what she wants to do? Why does the woman like it?

Do she/we think she wants to wear makeup because that's just who she is? Or do we think that her desire to wear makeup is influenced by external forces outside her control -- some of which may be insidious?

As a more extreme example to clarify the concept: imagine a 1950s housewife. A huge number of these women were perfectly happy being housewives. The question we might ask, then, is why was that the case? Did it just happen to be true that a lot more women at that time wanted to be domestic than there are presently? I think a reasonable person could argue that many of these women were influenced by society in such a way that they viewed domestic life as their "proper" place, without ever being aware that they were being influenced in this fashion. They did prefer to be domestic, but those preferences did not spring out of thin air, and were not created by their brains alone (or even created by their brains primarily).

Similarly, the notion that women just want to wear makeup because that's who they are is a suspect notion. How did they get to be "who they are?" How did they end up liking the things they like?

I agree. I put make-up usage under peer pressure to be honest or social pressure. Same way women shave most of their body. Do they like it? Possibly but where did that like for it originate?

I had a guy who I was seeing for a bit mention once when we went out that it seemed like I didn't 'care'. Since I'd done my hair and was wearing a dress/nice shoes and thought I looked ok I was a bit confused, but I caught on eventually that he was referring to my lack of anything but mascara. I was pretty taken aback. I mean, he was wearing jeans' for Pete's sake. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree with this strongly. On an individual level, it's probably too late to significantly influence the preferences of a single person, let alone a grown person, as most people's preferences and attitudes change little after age 20 or so.

But on a larger level, surely we can agree that some women like to wear make up for reasons which are not entirely of their own making.

Yes, some women like to wear make up. But why do they like it? Some women want to wear make up. By why do they want to? Where did those preferences come from in the first place? Some people might argue these are innate preferences that are just built in to women. I would strongly argue otherwise, and would suggest that these preferences are instilled in women from a young age by society at large.
I liken it to the trend that women in the West going for that "tanned" look, to the point where they are giving themselves skin cancer by going to the tanning beds for too often. There is some social pressure that privileged a specific look, even if it is damaging to try to achieve that look unnaturally.

Of course, the most extreme example of this are eating disorders that are connected to body image expectations perpetuated by society.

Yes, some women like to wear make up. But why do they like it? Some women want to wear make up. By why do they want to? Where did those preferences come from in the first place? Some people might argue these are innate preferences that are just built in to women. I would strongly argue otherwise, and would suggest that these preferences are primarily instilled in women from a young age by society at large.

But can we make the argument that women don't wear makeup because they also were being influenced by outside reasons? Perhaps the reason is just to rebel against societies norms.

We are all products of our enviroment and our society, whether you are the rebel or the conformist or anywhere in between. The option is presented and everyone makes their choices based on who they are.

I think this one is usually just boring/awkward people making rubbish conversation. :p

They were coworkers teasing me since I rarely wear any, sadly. ;_;

Yeah. The pressure to look 'good' for women feels very pervasive and people are forward in letting you know when you don't. Shaving thread, anyone?

It can certainly be a source of confidence, but also a chain that you can't be free of once started.

Malvolio

I see no difference between makeup and fashion or hairstyles. We all have a style and we all decorate ourselves in the way that makes us feel like an individual.

I always wear make-up to work or if I'm going out with friends etc. I just don't feel comfortable without it.

If I'm not doing anything important, I don't bother though.

Ikael

And why should they explain why they do what they do? I mean, we're talking about makeup here. It's a pretty banal personal decision with little weight or whatsoever. The debate around personal free will VS societal preassure is interesting, but it can be applied to almost any action that we take since we are, afterall social animals. We are always influenced by society and peer preassure up to a degree, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but rather part of being human.

Pau

I like the artistry of it and the idea of make-up, but every time I try or let someone else apply it, I'm disappointed in how it looks and feel even worse about my appearance. So I don't really wear it and it saves time at least.

My mum is definitely someone who thinks women should only be in public if they have make-up. Made living with her a lot of fun.

DopeToast

Banned
People on film look better with makeup, I assume because of the intense lighting. Other times it's totally a person's choice. I like them either way. Hygiene is way more important than makeup.

You say "huge," but was it really? Was it the majority? There have been women fighting for equality in almost every era, and many women probably didn't think they could be anything more.l given the way society was.

I don't see what's suspect about it. Some women just like to wear make-up. Just because it's an artificial convention doesn't mean it's not genuine.
I agree. I put make-up usage under peer pressure to be honest or social pressure. Same way women shave most of their body. Do they like it? Possibly but where did that like for it originate?
I don't buy this line of reasoning. Going by this logic, you're going down of rabbit whole and all if a sudden no one has any agency. Besides, you can't tell who likes make-up from social pressure and who just genuinely likes it. Nobody knows anybody else better than themselves.

Amalthea

Banned
Sometimes discussions like this seem like they go much deeper than gender and into the realm of the human consciousnes. Like do we really like what we like or is it just because our environment makes us like it.

But yesterday I wore eyeliner and lipstick after a long time again in addition to my usual mascara. I also had a heavy natural blush on that day. Felt like a clown. Eh.

Opiate

You say "huge," but was it really? Was it the majority? There have been women fighting for equality in almost every era, and many women probably didn't think they could be anything more.l given the way society was.

I don't see what's suspect about it. Some women just like to wear make-up. Just because it's an artificial convention doesn't mean it's not genuine.

I agree, it is a genuine preference for each specific person, I'm just stating that this genuine preference did not spring forth naturally from their consciousness, but rather sprung forth from societal pressures and influences. And if it's an artificial/social construct (as you seem to agree it is), it means we can influence it, on a grand scale, if we so chose. We can't (as of yet) make grand changes to our genetics, but we can change our social perceptions of beauty.

So we need to decide if this specific construct is useful or harmful. I don't think it's in our interest to keep choosing to support this convention, but I'm open to arguments otherwise.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I had a guy who I was seeing for a bit mention once when we went out that it seemed like I didn't 'care'. Since I'd done my hair and was wearing a dress/nice shoes and thought I looked ok I was a bit confused, but I caught on eventually that he was referring to my lack of anything but mascara. I was pretty taken aback. I mean, he was wearing jeans' for Pete's sake. :p

Ha, I feel ya. I mean, I'm a man, but in my experience we generally suck - well, I suck :p - at noticing the little changes. We'll know that something looks off, but we won't be able to tell what exactly. Personally I might not even be able to tell that it's due the girl's make-up (or lack thereof).

Which is why this whole make-up thing is insidious for men too. I always say I don't care about make-up, that I like women au naturel, but really, how can I know for sure if I see this fine-looking woman thinking she's not wearing any make-up, and in fact she is -- just subtly so?

Make-up really is a deception, but I don't blame women for resorting to it. I blame society for instilling the notion of obligatory make-up into our minds in the first place.

I rarely, and I mean RARELY wear make-up. I think I look just fine without it.

q0OkGnS.jpg

You look very cute, and based on this pic at least, you definitely don't need any make-up in my book. Keep on keeping on!

I like to think that we're born with an innate appreciation for aesthetics.

The answers are boring to be honest, and i personally really don't like how they're being displayed.

Cool, the only ones I don't agree with are;

Don't: Because everyone should feel comfortable in their own skin :)

Don't: Because... we need to start believing we are beautiful as we are!

Simply because the implication seems to be that 'women who do like wearing makeup either aren't comfortable with themselves or are solely doing it to look beautiful.

I have a question, considering most guys probably can't tell them difference between no makeup and "natural" makeup (I know I couldn't until I was explained) where is the pressure eo wear makeup coming from? I know there's societal pressure to wear it because women's looks always seem to be scrutinized, but makeup specifically almost seems like it comes from other women.

I always hear female friends commenting on makeup and whatnot and seldom have I heard guys friends even mention it when talking about appearance unless it's super noticeable. Obviously some women just like to wear it and enjoy the process of putting it on (Michelle Pham is popular for a reason) but this "pressure" to use it always seemed to be within the gender.

Kind of like how guys expect other guys to play sports and stuff (generalization, I know) I feel like women have this expectation of being able to apply and wear makeup, from other women

Sketchbag

Banned
I don't buy this line of reasoning. Going by this logic, you're going down of rabbit whole and all if a sudden no one has any agency. Besides, you can't tell who likes make-up from social pressure and who just genuinely likes it. Nobody knows anybody else better than themselves.

It's no mystery why women shave their bodies: marketing and shame nowadays. The razor companies decimated any social thought of how hair looked on the legs and face. Now it's part of our "identity". Look at the previous shaving thread where women were called disgusting or it's gross to have hairy legs. There is social pressure. You may enjoy it now but you have to wonder how it came to be.

Goliath

I don't think people who don't wear make up are always considered bumming it or ugly just like I don't think people who do wear make up are always considered pretty.

You can always overdo make up as my wife points out as we people watch. She personally loves to wear make up, but also learn about different techniques. This started after we had already started dating. She wore eye stuff but then she found a blog for painting nails and different creative ways of applying make up and she just fell in love. She never over does it and it always looks natural but she loves to get creative with her nails and her eye make up.

I think some people like being able to create a different look for the mood or setting with make up and some ladies love being able to hide an annoying blemish or pimple. I don't think people that wear make up automatically are heavily influenced by society anymore then the are in the choice of their shoes, shirt, pants, dresses, accesories. Nor do I think every woman who doesn't use make up is someone who values natural beauty. Some people love to create new looks with make up and some people are just lazy and couldn't care less about their appearence. There is not always some grand societal reason for everything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I always prefer no make up. Even "natural make up" tends to look very unappealing to me. Just my take on it.

Ha, I feel ya. I mean, I'm a man, but in my experience we generally suck - well, I suck :p - at noticing the little changes. We'll know that somethin looks off, but we won't be able to tell what exactly.

Which is why this whole make-up thing is insidious for men too. I always say I don't care about make-up, that I like women au naturel, but really, how can I know for sure if I see this fine-looking woman thinking she's not wearing any make-up, and in fact she is -- just subtly so?

Make-up really is a deception, but I don't blame women for resorting to it. I blame society for instilling the notion of obligatory make-up into our minds in the first place.

You look very cute, and based on this pic at least, you definitely don't need any make-up in my book. Keep on keeping on!

It's the guy thinking something is 'off' or that a lack of make-up means you don't care/aren't looking perfect that's the problem, especially when guys aren't held to the same expectations (not that I'd want anyone held to some of the unreasonable standards I've seen/heard of). It's true many guys don't even notice when you're wearing make-up (this is actually pretty funny sometimes), but the reaction when you're truly not wearing any make-up for some is the sad part.

I haven't met too many of these types in my life, but I know many women who would feel ugly or have to be dragged out of the house if they weren't allowed any make-up. I think it's the shame and ugliness that people feel if they don't wear any that's the problem, not those that genuinely enjoy wearing it because they like to.

People can do what they want but I still remember hearing my mother often sighing as she had to spend 20 minutes putting on make up and doing her hair when I was little.
She always felt like she couldn't leave the house without her make up on even though she looked perfectly healthy and normal without it, and she literally wouldn't leave the house if she didn't have time to do her make up first...

My mother made a lot of poor choices in her life due to peer pressure/societal pressure, she had her stomach stapled (recommended by one of her awful friends) while she was already underweight and borderline anorexic, thinking that it would make her feel better about herself.

Again she can do what she wants but in her case a lot of it is unhealthy behavior that she only wants because her surroundings pressure her into it.

She struggled with an eating disorder since she was 30 and took diuretics for over 15 years to lose water weight and look thinner(I still remember the lectures the pharmacist always gave me to pass on to my mom every time I was there to pick up the pills)

For her the make up was very much a part of all that self image shit magazines and tv ads sold (this was also the time period of the scary anorexic supermodels)

Collete

I personally don't put make up on because it's just too much of a hassle to put on and wipe everyday.
And anyways, even if I do meet the right guy and put on a mask of make up, he's going to see me eventually without it.
So why bother to hide my real face?

It doesn't make much sense to me honestly.

But can we make the argument that women don't wear makeup because they also were being influenced by outside reasons? Perhaps the reason is just to rebel against societies norms.

We are all products of our enviroment and our society, whether you are the rebel or the conformist or anywhere in between. The option is presented and everyone makes their choices based on who they are.

This right here in a nutshell. Great answer.

Isn't this a kind of chicken and egg deal?
Because now I can argue that the indoctrination by society is rooted in basic primal instinct to attract a suitable mate to reproduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom