• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

27 Women on why they wear (or don't wear) makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
So then why do men have notably longer eyelashes, on average? At some point in the past (and we're talking distant past here, in human evolutionary terms), women were selected for shorter eyelashes and men for longer ones. At some point in the past, it's likely that these preferences were not ubiquitous.
That may not be the case, though. This particular trait may be a secondary effect of some other factor. Testosterone differences in general may be pointed out as a possible cause for this.

Amalthea

Banned
Yea it's pretty...not pretty, poor woman.

Mine are the blackest black colour ever, like seriously dark, but at least i don't have to worry about colouring them. Better stock up on your pencil what happens if they discontinue it? :(
Yeah, there are a lot of cosmetics that I depend on. I would even have to hoard my shampoo because without it my scalp skin would get murdered. I just don't like to think about stuff like that too much.
Have you tried a light mascara/brow tint? If all you're trying to do is color the hairs (instead of filling in bare spots/ altering the shape) it might be a better choice than pencil. I use a pencil because I've got a few sparse spots.
I bought a bunch of light brown mascaras but they are all way to dark for my brows.

I keep the pencil tip very dull so I can color the hair easier.

Im middle of the road. Usually not wearing it, put it on for some occasions because I might have the time and as an artist my own face being a canvas is fun.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
The only makeup I wear (as rare as that is because I prefer being natural) is mascara or eye shadow from time to time.

I don't wear makeup because I feel I have to or anything. It's just nice to try a different look every blue moon and it's fun too.

It's always nice to see more ladies speak out about why or why not they've made their choices.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dax, not every thread/reply is specific to you. It doesn't seem like he was calling you out.

The make-up thing can go either way as far as I'm concerned. For some women it makes them look worse (especially if they use too much). For others it highlights their features nicely. It's ultimately up to that person on whether they want to deal with it or not, I'd assume it's a bit of a pain to spend time on (but worth it if you enjoy it).

The only makeup I wear (as rare as that is because I prefer being natural) is mascara or eye shadow from time to time.

I don't wear makeup because I feel I have to or anything. It's just nice to try a different look every blue moon and it's fun too.

It's always nice to see more ladies speak out about why or why not they've made their choices.

Yeah I only do eye related stuff, anything else is just meh.

Goliath

PRO-TIP: Wear sunscreen and don't tan.

Look at the picture I posted of myself on the first page, then come back and tell me I look like the equivalent of a man with wild, unmaintained facial hair.
No, not at all and your right. There is no accurate way to generalize. Some skin types look fine without foundation and some don't.

I see it with my wife (pale skin) and mi sis (Hispanic light brown). Some colors work for my wife and not my sis. Some skin types look fine naked and some can be red and blotchy.

I've fallen for that "natural look" trick before.

I'm not talking about you. I was referring to some of those women claiming to not be wearing make-up.

It's not a trick, you're not being targeted and then laughed at for believing women...or...whatever. Don't take it personally, it's not about you. It's about the woman.

Amalthea

Banned

Who needs make-up with such sweet avatars as yours anyway? :D

I used to not wear makeup because I used to think that if someone wanted to be with me, they would find me and love me how I am without any adornments. I'm 25 now and I think my expectations were too high. I feel prettier now being girlier, wearing makeup and dresses. I feel more comfortable in my skin and I've become less concerned about what men think about how I look. Funny, I used to care so much about what little attention I used to get. Now that I'm receiving all this attention, I don't even know how to properly react to it.

Opiate

That may not be the case, though. This particular trait may be a secondary effect of some other factor. Testosterone differences in general may be pointed out as a possible cause for this.

I actually had a portion of that post considering this possibility, but deleted it for simplicity's sake.

I agree, it may have piggybacked on another, more advantageous characteristic. It also may be random drift, although I understand the gender dismorphia to be significant enough in this instance that it's unlikely to be attributable to random chance.

EulaCapra

They're all right. Makeup is fun and art but natural beauty is great too. I thought for sure some of the ladies who didn't wear makeup were wearing makeup. Don't blame them though, too much time and effort in the day to apply.

1876ac10-fa47-0131-6dc0-0aa0f90d87b4.jpg
I died.

Zoe

Not seeing your point. I thought those equivalence a were pretty poor.
You're the one who brought looks into it.

It's the closest thing that men have to daily maintenance on their faces that's under their control. It's more socially expected for men to be clean shaven or well-trimmed, but that doesn't mean anyone who doesn't do that has something wrong with them.

Famassu

You say "huge," but was it really? Was it the majority? There have been women fighting for equality in almost every era, and many women probably didn't think they could be anything more.l given the way society was.
Yes, women traditionally had to be stay-at-home moms who did the household chores, though on farms of course they had to participate in farmwork (milk the cows & all dat shit) IN ADDITION to taking care of the children, cooking, cleaning etc. And yes, this was the norm for a huge portion of women. Of course not ALL women, but a huge part of them.

I don't see what's suspect about it. Some women just like to wear make-up. Just because it's an artificial convention doesn't mean it's not genuine.
No one is saying it's not genuine per se, but there are quite a lot of negatives that can be attributed to a make-up obsessed culture and everything surrounding it, going from small to big, from not-that-bad to morally-reprehensible, so there are some pretty logical reasons to oppose women having to wear make-up:

-a lot of make-up was/is tested on animals
-it's expensive, would probably be better if people could spend the money on something else or save it
-it's part of wasting Earth's resources on completely pointless crap that we ultimately don't need at all and which doesn't really bring anything substantial to anyone's life. It's simply something we should be trying to get rid off to save this earth.
-women look great without make-up, so it's simply pointless
-is a part of creating the impossible beauty-standards that cause so much harm in the world for more insecure women
-it takes a lot of time, why are women forced to spend so much of their life to make themselves more "beautiful" when they'd be perfect even without it?
-make-up isn't healthy to your skin & health. At all.
-the beauty industry overall (from modelling to the creation of beauty products) is horrible in a lot of ways and it could do with a bit of a shakeup and huge change

I don't buy this line of reasoning. Going by this logic, you're going down of rabbit whole and all if a sudden no one has any agency. Besides, you can't tell who likes make-up from social pressure and who just genuinely likes it. Nobody knows anybody else better than themselves.
People's preferences are something that aren't created in a vacuum and more often than not they aren't something that people consciencely decide on. People who love to wear make-up don't usually choose to be that way and people who hate make-up don't choose to hate it. That doesn't mean people have no agency. Even if someone loves make-up, they CAN make the choice of trying to get rid of the habit of wearing it if, say, they one day decide they don't want to support all the shit that the beauty industry does with another penny.

Kater

Banned
Lot's of women look good without make up. Like, for example, my cousin who always had this natural beauty. Then she got shamed for not wearing one and pressured into wearing it by one of her boyfriends. People can be such jerks sometimes.

Kudos to the women who stand up for themselves, kudos to everyone who endures this kind of treatment and still pulls themselves through hard times and keep on fighting. Kudos to all the drag queens and transgender people for not bending to societies definition of norm and standing for what they are with raised banners.

You are all wonderful people~

gogosox82

Well I always assumed wearing makeup was for purely superficial reasons like it made them feel more confident or something like that so some of the responses aren't surprising. Its no different than what men do it terms of appearance so its no big deal really.

Technically you could argue this for dudes though. Do I need hair paste and stuff? Nah, but it makes my hair look better. :p

And I don't buy any of that stuff. Editadd: Hell I don't even pay to get my hair cut or anything. I just take a buzzer to my head and let my beard grow like a glorious wizard lock. If people think I look bad, thats on them, don't care about impressing people that need trickery to be impressed in the first place. Getting on a tangent here maybe, this is all just my personal outlook not trying to preach.

Well lots of things are a waste of money but if we like it, we buy it anyway.

Of course, waste of money is an opinion, and that its mine is all I meant. If somebody enjoys spending money on makeeup as much as I do on video games, more power to them.

Darklord

Banned
Speaking of social pressures, people in here might find this interesting http://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddic..._brief_sociological_experiment_as_always_ccw/

If she never wore make up she'd never get those comments. She's attractive without it. If someone uses a bronzer then shows up a lot more pale or with puffier eyes or looking like their eyebrows are five shades lighter in a day, people might think she's sick or looks different. It means she looks different, not ugly.

Samara

When I say Im not wearing makeup, I usualy mean cat-eyeliner and EOS lipbalm. I use to have a lot of dark spots, so foundation was a must before. I just dont wear any nowadays because my skin has stopped fucking me around. thanks to these

(lactic acid peels and ra 0.1% applied daily).

Its not I had acne, its just that whatever little irritation would leave those black marks on my face. So makeup was kinda obligatory.

And If not wearing "makeup," Im wearing lipstick and that's it. Especially colors you would not see on a black woman. I just love red lipstick

I just need an explanation on the huge sharpie brows tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom