• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D or 3D Metroid

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Which type of Metroid game would you want next? I really am craving a 2D game like Fusion. I cannot believe it's been so long. I've loved every 2D Metroid game released. On the other hand I'm spoiled by how nearly-perfect Metroid Prime is to me, therefore I wish I could get another one of those. Is there any news as to what they may be doing with the IP, if anything?

Xeno_V

I would be happy with any combination besides 3d on a portable, something that hopefully was a one-off thing with Prime: Hunters.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I would be happy with any combination besides 3d on a portable, something that hopefully was a one-off thing with Prime: Hunters.

The use of the stylus upset me so much. :(

We live in the future. Why not both?

Well, I mean a 2D scroller in the same vein as Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. I don't mind the implementation of 3D in a side-scroller, so long as it preserves the former first and foremost. Otherwise I would just want a full blown Prime game.

RPGCrazied

3D. Though I want it in 3rd person again. It doesn't need to be a Prime game, cause I feel that story is over. How about moving the timeline forward now?

If I had to choose between the two, 2D all the way.
But I'd prefer both, obviously.

I still play through Fusion every couple of months.

SerTapTap

2D, ideally with real 2d graphics or failing that something that looks actually good like DKCTF unlike... Basically every 2.5D game on 3DS. Oh, also, don't make it for 3DS.

But mostly I don't want it to play anything like other m

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
3D. Though I want it in 3rd person again. It doesn't need to be a Prime game, cause I feel that story is over. How about moving the timeline forward now?

Well, when I think of "Prime" I don't think of the timeline, I think of the gameplay and camera elements. I don't care where they take the story so long as it plays amazingly.

T.O.P

Banned
2D please. I won't touch a 3D Metroid.

You didn't play Prime?

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

I would be quite happy with a 3D third-person Metroid again so long as the world has the intricacy of Prime rather than the essentially flat map of Other M, especially after playing Bayonetta 2 with the immensely satisfying Samus costume (complete with bomb jumps and screw attacks), which outstripped not only Other M but also the standard Bayonetta experience (the morph ball was much tighter to control than the panther transformation). I actually thought Other M had the right conceptual idea of how to make 3D Metroid capture the agility of the 2D games, but the environment design and control scheme just weren't there to make it work. I hope this direction isn't abandoned completely, though there might be some fundamental restrictions on how well you can make Prime-like worlds work with a third-person camera (observe how often Other M cheats around this with cross-sections or 2.5D side-scrolling areas). Prime is in third-person anyway when you are in morph ball mode, so this may not be too much of a problem, but then there remains the issue of the aiming system, be it auto-aim or lock-on or something in between.

Bayonetta 2 in the Samus suit is actually the model for how I think a 3D Metroid should play, though the make-or-break factor is in the explorability and interconnected elegance of the map. And we are definitely overdue for a 2D entry. It's almost too bad 2D is now perceived as the domain of the portable line when a side-scrolling, cross-sectional home console Metroid with production values like Tropical Freeze would be a dream scenario.

lazygecko

Honestly, I think the indie scene of today is giving us more than enough 2D Metroid-style games to keep us busy with. But games like Metroid Prime are still far and few inbetween, so I would rather see something like that.

3D Metroid. I want to explore a large 3D environment.

Nintendo has enough 2D stuff this year alone on Wii U with Mario Maker, Yoshi and Kirby.

JediLink

2D only if they bring the wall jump back. If they're just going to do it like Fusion then there's no point.

jorgejjvr

3d metroid

Metroid prime 4 style game, in first person, by retro studios, announced at e3 2015 for 2016 for wii u. You heard it here folks

However, I wouldn't mind seeing also a 2d metroid for 3ds. But we really need a prime 4 type game for wii u, that would be gorgeous!!! I want to be on an isolated planet, and looking through samus visor again!

There's nothing quite like the prime series. I still get goosebumps

Akai__

Nothing beats 2D Metroid for me, but I'd buy a 3D Metroid in a second, if it supports dual analog stick controls.

I'd like to see a 2D one most of all. Maybe Retro could make a 2D one on the DKC engine.

If it's 3D, I'd like to see a 3rd person game. It can control just like the Primes. I don't care as long as it's 3rd person.

I'd also like to see another Other M style game. With real controller support and no wiimote crap. I thought Other M combined 2D and 3D really well, like Mario 3D Land.

jorgejjvr

I'm very surprised at the other m type game > metroid prime. Considering all the backlash of other m and all the praise of prime. I honestly think prime captured perfectly the exploration, the sense of being alone in an alien planet, and there was just something beautiful, amazing and breathtaking about it. I would do anything to jump into that world again in HD. One of my favorite games of all time. If anything maybe they can make both fan bases happy and release a 3d for wii u and 2d for 3ds, like back in the day with fusion and prime. Would be epic

They were an interesting curiosity, but the Prime games aren't that fun to play. Even though the spacial positioning was fantastic for how close the FOV is, it's not that fun to jump around not seeing the platform your jumping to. The shooting was just ok, just something you had to do to progress. Nintendo needed a 'mature' first person game at the time, though.

FPS isn't that big of a deal anymore and consequently Nintendo doesn't have to have it's own take on it, so the Prime games are done, thankfully.

jorgejjvr

They were an interesting curiosity, but the Prime games aren't that fun to play. Even though the spacial positioning was fantastic for how close the FOV is, it's not that fun to jump around not seeing the platform your jumping to. The shooting was just ok, just something you had to do to progress. Nintendo needed a 'mature' first person game at the time, though.

FPS isn't that big of a deal anymore and consequently Nintendo doesn't have to have it's own take on it, so the Prime games are done, thankfully.
They aren't that fun?

I'm dumbfounded

They are masterpieces

They aren't that fun?

I'm dumbfounded

They are masterpieces

3 is kind of an awkward Metroid game (similar to Other M), and the Wiimote pointing was a chore due to arm fatigue.

2 is frustrating, I'll likely never go back to play it.

1 is good. The platforming is as solid as first person platforming can be with that FOV (first person platforming is a bad idea to begin with), but compared to the kind of flow that 2D Metroid provides, it's slow and boring. The shooting is just 'there', nothing really exciting about it, and it regularly just bogs the game down unlike the 2D games. It has nice music, graphics and atmosphere.

Top Bottom