• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3/4s through the year. What are you favorite games so far?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Divinity OS 2 - Utterly amazing RPG, I don't really have the words to define how good this game is

The Surge - Impressive bounce back from Lords of the Fallen, great take on Sci-Fi Souls

XCOM 2 - It's XCOM

Jerm411

Breath of the Wild is the runaway winner for me right now but also....

Horizon Zero Dawn
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Golf Story
Steamworld Dig 2
Sonic Mania
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

....and of course Odyssey will show up once it drops.

Still gotta get to Cuphead, I know I'd have it on the list though...it's right up my alley.

I'm close to including Binding of Isaac and SK: Treasure Trove as well....I know they're previous releases but they feel perfect to me on Switch.

Need to get back into Night in the Woods

Metroid: Samus Returns
Full Throttle Remastered
Sonic Mania
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2

low-G

You're missing Lone Echo and Robo Recall, PC VR exclusives and certainly some of the best games of the year (and currently reviewed in the top 10).

I think 2017 will probably end up being one of the best years of all time for games, if you include VR releases. Certainly in the top 10 of years.

1. Robo Recall
2. Lone Echo
3. Zelda BOTW
4. Sonic Mania
5. Playerunknown Battlegrounds
6. Dead Cells
7. Cuphead
8. Battlezone (PCVR)
9. Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels
10. Golf Story
11. XCom 2 expansion
12. Mario & Rabbids
13. Streets of Rogue
14. Paradigm
15. Divinity Original Sin 2
16. SuperHOT VR

Will have to play more Nier Automata & Heat Signature to see where those should be, but they won't break the top 5.

Honorable mentions to Horizon Zero Dawn, RIME, What Remains of Edith Finch, and Crash collection... They go somewhere in my top 25 and stand out in memory.

Top 35 includes Nex Machina, Injustice 2, Thimbleweek Park, Metroid Samus Returns...

Disappointments of the year: RUINER and Persona 5. They're both still quite good but I expected them to be in my top 5. Neither are in my top ~30.

My top 5 so far:

1) Heat Signature
2) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3) Prey
4) Hollow Knight
5) Dark Souls III: The Ringed City

Such an amazing year for games :D

Menitta

So far my top 5 would be as follows:

1. Yakuza 0
2. Persona 5
3. Breath of the Wild
4. Tekken 7
5. Yakuza Kiwami

I'm super excited for the rest of 2017. Mario Odyssey, Mario and Luigi Remake, what looks to be one of the best Assassin's Creed games, and to top it off, I'll play Apollo Justice again.

I've already purchased Nier Automata and Metroid Samus Returns but I wanna finish Yakuza Kiwami and Miles Edgeworth Investigations before starting those two. It's been a fucking good year for games.

Christ, that would be a long list. I still need to play Sonic Mania.

Persona 5
Nioh
Cuphead
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Everybody's Golf
NieR: Automata
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Resident Evil VII
Hollow Knight
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Gravity Rush 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Yakuza 0
Knack 2

Can I stop now? I wouldn't know how to rank them at the moment.

Top 5 this year

Yakuza 0

Nier Automata

Persona 5

Yakuza Kiwami

Resident Evil 6

Crazy good year for new releases thus far. Discovered a bunch of really great older games this year too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This has been an exceptionally good year for games.

Yakuza 0, RE7, Horizon ZD, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Yakuza Kiwami

DJIzana

1. NieR: Automata
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Yakuza 0
4. Persona 5
5. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
6. Sonic Mania
7. NioH
8. Yooka Laylee
9. PUBG
10. Battle Chasers: Night War

I'm still waiting on Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Those 2 games alone will easily skyrocket to the top of my list, I'm sure, probably knocking out some of these 10 in the process!

Wozman23

Oh? I'd love to hear what attracts you so much to those two! I've definitely heard great things about Cuphead, but haven't heard as much GAF reaction from Snake Pass.

Both are a perfect mix of modern tech with old-school sensibility, as is Nex Machina as well.

Snake Pass took some hits critically because it does have some camera issues, and the controls are unconventional, but it's really those unconventional controls that make it phenomenal. It was extremely ambitious to make a 3D platformer based on a character with no legs, who can't jump. But once you get a grasp on it, there's a rewarding level of satisfaction like no other. Plus, it's covered in that classic Rare charm. I understand why people don't see it as perfect, but to me its ambition far outweighs its minor issues.

As far as Cuphead, I've placed it on a pedestal since its inception. It's been my most anticipated title for years. There was a bit of trepidation since StudioMDHR is an unknown and the boss rush genre isn't exactly my forte, but what has been released is an extremely polished product on every dimension. It's got a perfectly replicated 1930s cartoon style, a complimentary jazzy, ragtime, big band soundtrack, challenging well designed bosses, varied run-and-gun and shmup stages to keep things fresh, and a quirky charm that I haven't seen since Rayman Origins in 2011. It's tough, but I had a smile on my face from the second the title screen booted to the second the credits rolled.

Indelible

Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Tekken 7
Cuphead
Steamworld Dig 2
Hollow Knight

Still haven't played Persona 5, Yakuza 0 or NieR: Automata but they are in my backlog.

FHIZ

Nier Automata has been that game that stuck with me the most. Then there's Persona and Yakuza 0.

You're missing Lone Echo and Robo Recall, PC VR exclusives and certainly some of the best games of the year (and currently reviewed in the top 10).

I'd probably put those two in my #1 and #2 slots...

1. Robo Recall
2. Lone Echo
3. Zelda BOTW
4. Sonic Mania
5. Playerunknown Battlegrounds
6. Dead Cells
7. Cuphead
8. Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels
9. Golf Story
10. XCom 2 expansion
11. Mario & Rabbids
12. Paradigm
13. Divinity Original Sin 2

Will have to play more Nier Automata to see where that should be, but it won't break the top 5 for me.

I don't believe I am forgetting any particular title, but I may be.

Honorable mentions to Horizon Zero Dawn and Crash collection...

FUCK forgot PUBG

Thanks, I added them into the OP.

kami_sama

For now it's, in order of what I remember first:
Golf Story
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Prey
RiME
Mario+Rabbids

I've never played a Yakuza game either, and I know a decent amount of people here started with 0. How is the gameplay specifically? How does it feel?

it essentially plays like a beat-em-up, but with the ability to change fighting style during fights (things like a brawler style, a slugger style where you use a baseball bat etc), and the 2 main characters both control differently too - they have their own unique styles to choose from. There's also quite a lot of environmental interaction during combat, so you can use things like signs and bikes as makeshift weapons. Overall the gameplay is a lot of fun, not to mention the sense of humour I mentioned earlier is woven into the gameplay at times - eg one of the fighting styles Majima can use is, essentially, just him breakdancing and kicking people while doing so.

Animagne

Persona 5 is still the best one for me this year. Refined the formula of previous entries and gave a topical storytelling that doesnt feel like another Scooby Doo episode.

BotW as the year goes on loses more and more of its charm. I guess a lot of it did with me waiting for Master mode to clear everything up (I finished normal mode playthrough at 40ish shrines after getting tired of grinding ancients to get ancient armor). It just showed how bad the game is besides traversal. Sure some physics interactions are cool few times. But once you need to go through 3 weapons on a regular enemy and two missed dodges kill you...

Horizon did really great world building. I'm still early on Danganronpa V3, but it's much better compared to the previous entries in terms of keeping culprits concealed for much longer. I also really liked Uncharted Lost Legacy for being just the right length.

Both are a perfect mix of modern tech with old-school sensibility, as is Nex Machina as well.

Snake Pass took some hits critically because it does have some camera issues, and the controls are unconventional, but it's really those unconventional controls that make it phenomenal. It was extremely ambitious to make a 3D platformer based on a character with no legs, who can't jump. But once you get a grasp on it, there's a rewarding level of satisfaction like no other. Plus, it's covered in that classic Rare charm. I understand why people don't see it as perfect, but to me its ambition far outweighs its minor issues.

As far as Cuphead, I've placed it on a pedestal since its inception. It's been my most anticipated title for years. There was a bit of trepidation since StudioMDHR is an unknown and the boss rush genre isn't exactly my forte, but what has been released is an extremely polished product on every dimension. It's got a perfectly replicated 1930s cartoon style, a complimentary jazzy, ragtime, big band soundtrack, challenging well designed bosses, varied run-and-gun and shmup stages to keep things fresh, and a quirky charm that I haven't seen since Rayman Origins in 2011. It's tough, but I had a smile on my face from the second the title screen booted to the second the credits rolled.

I feel with Cuphead, it sounds like just an exercise in pure joy for some people. Sonic Mania created that feeling with me. I had my Gold headset and was listening to the ring post special stages, and the music just sounded so optimistic and happy, along with an extremely well-crafted game, that I was simply happy to play it beginning to end. If Cuphead is able to do that for you, then that's major props to the new developers.

it essentially plays like a beat-em-up, but with the ability to change fighting style during fights (things like a brawler style, a slugger style where you use a baseball bat etc), and the 2 main characters both control differently too - they have their own unique styles to choose from. There's also quite a lot of environmental interaction during combat, so you can use things like signs and bikes as makeshift weapons. Overall the gameplay is a lot of fun, not to mention the sense of humour I mentioned earlier is woven into the gameplay at times - eg one of the fighting styles Majima can use is, essentially, just him breakdancing and kicking people while doing so.

That sounds great because in the case of Gravity Rush -- another Japanese game with a big sense of humor from this year -- I quite enjoyed flying around, and I loved the humor, but the melee combat is a bit lacking. The humor and character of the game always get me through it, so if Yakuza has something similar in terms of fun gameplay (at least in GR's case in the flying) and humor, then that's even better for me if I find a good sale on 0 down the line.

Reedirect

Persona 5 and Hellblade are currently battling for my GOTY throne.

Runners up:
What Remains of Edith Finch
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0

Legend of Zelda BOTW
Horizon Zero Dawn
Resident Evil 7
Splatoon 2
Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia
Persona 5
Metroid Samus Returns
Destiny 2
Sonic Mania

My list will be much different at the end of the year as i continue to play games i havent started yet that came out this year and all the great looking games coming this holiday.

BDGAME

The only games I really played this year was:

1- Zelda BotW (still playing)
2- Horizon
3- Splatoon 2

I brought others games, but I will play them only when I finish Zelda.

In no particular order:

Monster Hunter XX (Switch Edition).
Splatoon 2
Resident Evil 7
Breath of the Wild
Persona 5 (Haven't beaten this yet, but love it nonetheless)
Cuphead
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

njs15

Surprised that very few people have said Destiny 2 yet, but it's personal GOTY for me so far. I had pretty much given up on FPSes, yet I've played 120 hours so far.

Other standouts are MK8 Deluxe, The Golf Club 2, Everybody's Golf, Tekken 7, FFXII Zodiac Age, and Persona. League of Legends has had a pretty good season, too, I'd say.

Dabi

My top 5 is looking like:
1. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
3. Persona 5
4. Destiny 2
5. Prey

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The two big ones have been probably two of my three favorite games of this gen (right behind Bloodborne): Breath of the Wild and Sonic Mania.

Phenomenal games in their own ways.

That said, while this game has been absolutely killer in regard to releases (especially if your a PS4 owner), none of the big titles have grabbed me as much as I expected/wanted. So many games sit with less than a couple hours on the timer: Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Yakuza 0, Persona 5, etc, etc.

Currently playing Ruiner and really liking it, though!

Right now, the top of my list would look something like:

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Trails in the Sky the 3rd
3. Persona 5
4. Kingdom Hearts 0.2

After that, you've got Yakuza 0, Out of the Park Baseball 18, Super Robot Wars V, Ys Seven, etc all bunched together right now until I finish some stuff up and make some more decisions.

Too early for me to know where Danganronpa V3 or Picross S will land since it's only been a couple of days.

Strong year so far, and it should only be getting even better in the last few months.

Right now Splatoon 2 would be my game of the year - but I expect Mario will change that in a few weeks time.

My top 3 right now are:

1. Splatoon 2.
2. Mario and Rabbids
3. Zelda BOTW

Bet not many Switch owners would have BOTW potentially not in their top 3 games of the year? (I fully expect Mario will blow everything else I've played this year out of the water.)

Jerm411

Bet not many Switch owners would have BOTW potentially not in their top 3 games of the year? (I fully expect Mario will blow everything else I've played this year out of the water.)

It's #1 for me easily and for me personally, Odyssey is the only game that has a shot of overtaking. Unless Odyssey just falls flat (and I don't see how that's possible) they'll be 1-2 in some order.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Seems it's been a great year for games, but I've played so few of them. Like, I can only think of 4-ish games that came out this year that I also played.

1. Horizon (still need to finish, but I only started < a month ago, and it's been thrilling)

2. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Zombies DLC (Been a great season; only CoD where I've beaten every Easter Egg. Multiplayer has been fun too, though I don't get to play those new maps very often.)

3. Crash N Sane Trilogy (Finally beat Crash 1. Almost done with 2. A few gripes, but overall very happy with this, and I hope they can do CTR and Spyro)

4. Drawn to Death (cheap feeling game, but the closest I could get this gen to Twisted Metal 2012's arena combat. Balance was still pretty whackadoodle last time I played, but I managed to complete the season 1 ranked tower. Little desire to go back, though)

Top Bottom