• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3/4s through the year. What are you favorite games so far?

MrS

Banned
1. Nex Machina
2. Destiny 2
3. Nioh
4. NieR: Automata
5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Really enjoyed Graceful Explosion Machine, Ruiner, Iron Crypticle, Polybius and WipEout Omega Collection too.

Gurnlei

Danganronpa V3, no contest. It improved in every way over the first game which was the best of the series until now.

ASaiyan

Banned
Persona 5
Yakuza Kiwami
BotW
Splatoon 2

Many more great games I've played this year. And Mario & others are still on the way. 2017 will go down in history next to '98 and '07.

jyoung188

BotW
BoI: Afterbirth+
Horizon
RE7
Splatoon 2
Sonic Mania
Uncharted lost legacy
Steamworld dig 2
Samus Returns

Currently playing Nier and Cuphead they're both outstanding.

2017 has been insane!

Mario + Rabbids
Zelda BOTW

Only 2 of 3 games I've managed to finish this year that I liked. I've finished Fire Emblem Echoes, but that was a very mediocre title.

kromeo

I've only played 4 games released this year I think, of those Persona 5, Resident Evil 7 and Wipeout omega were great but I ended up not really liking BotW

Nier's way out ahead right now. A number of other games I've liked a lot but didn't get as absorbed: Ever Oasis, Yakuza 0, Ys VIII, Pyre, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Stardew Valley. Persona 5 was my front-runner and biggest disappointment this year.

Just got a Switch, so we'll see what I think of BotW, Golf Story and Xenoblade. I don't think anything will dethrone Nier though, I loved everything about that game: world, characters, combat, music, story, themes.

Horizon and Disgaea 5 (NS) were both good and fun. BOTW, Gravity Rush 2, and Yakuza 0 (need to go finish this one still though) are all really great. The best of the best though are Nier Automata and Ys. Everything about Automata is just fantastic. I'm just listing Ys as a series since both games are the best of their style and because I just started the series this year.

guyssorry

I completely forgot to mention Mario & Rabbids, which is maybe the biggest surprise of my life (gaming-related). Incredible game. It was very accessible for me, too, which is great because I am not too great at tactical RPGs. Beautiful, well-done game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
  • Persona 5 (PS4)
  • Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (PC)
All three are on my GOTY list for sure.

Linkup

Lone Echo was really good. Robo Recall was pretty good. Nothing else I played is 2017. Enjoying DS2 SotfS and Rocket League right now.

kikiribu

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Dishonored 2
Knack 2

Street Fighter V is my most played game of the year though

Of the games released this year, I've only played two: Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5, and it'd have to go to Persona 5 easily. That game was a masterpiece in more ways than one, and while I definitely enjoyed my time with Horizon, it didn't leave me waking up and looking forward to playing the same way Persona 5 did. That's not to say Horizon is a bad game - it's definitely not, but it's surpassed by Persona 5. The soundtrack was fantastic to the point where I still listen to several of the songs outside of the game, and the art style was too, and so were the combat, the school/daily life portions. I enjoyed the story and I enjoyed that it took so long to get through. It felt like a big game filled with lots and lots of little systems that all played together off of one another to make a cohesive whole that is much more than the sum of its parts. I also found the game's
commentaries on current events and issues, and the theme of appreciating what you have and having the courage to stand up for what you believe in
to be well done and timely.

Of games I've played this year - jeez I don't know. It'd be a tie between Persona 5 and Steins;Gate. I've already elaborated on what made the former so great, and Steins;Gate did the same thing despite being in a different genre with a different focus. I struggled to get immersed into it early on, but after pushing through that it wound up giving a well-oiled and cohesive story that took its theme and really ran with it. I wound up caring for the characters, shedding tears at some points, and by the end left with much of the same as Persona 5 -
an appreciation for what you have now, an appreciation that things aren't necessarily as good as they might initially seem (and the reverse), and the realization that you have the present moment and have to make the best of it that you can
. It's pulled me into the world of visual novels and made me appreciate too, the importance of a solid soundtrack to the experience one has in a game.

Blackie

- Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Splatoon 2
- Graceful Explosion Machine
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Fjordson

1. Persona 5
2. Yakuza 0
3. Cosmic Star Heroine

Everything else is a bit jumbled, but pretty confident those are my top 3.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
NIer: Automata stays #1.

Rest of the field is locked in a tight competition behind it. Been a really good year for me.

eXistor

Games actually released this year?

High on the list (in no particular order except for Zelda)

Zelda BotW
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Cuphead
Resident Evil 7
Persona 5
NieR: Automata
Yakuza 0
Prey

And lower on the list, but still worthwhile games:

Uncharted Lost Legacy
Metroid Samus Returns
Ever Oasis
Dragon Quest Heroes II

Some high quality stuff for sure, but less and less games of real interest for me. Normally my list would be twice as big.

/edit: Okay I forgot like half the games released this year, nevermind. I'm sure Yakuza Kiwami would have a plce on it, but I haven't started it yet. Sonic Mania too, but I'm waiting on a physical copy with that one.

Lots of games I haven't played yet, but here are the games I've enjoyed that I felt deserved mentioning.

My current rankings:
1. Horizon
2. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
3. Destiny 2
4. MLB The Show 17
5. Mario Kart
6. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7. Everybody's Golf
8. Mass Effect: Andromeda

g11

1. Nier: Automata
2. Nioh
3. Persona 5
4. Dark Souls III: The Ringed City
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
5. Persona 5

Committed to still playing NieR: Automata before GOTY voting along with a couple of other things and then all the big fall games.

Diancecht

My GOTY list so far:

10- Divinity: Original Sin II
9- Resident Evil 7: biohazard
8- Darkwood
7- Observer
6- XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
5- Horizon Zero Dawn
4- Get Even
3- Total War: WARHAMMER II
2- What Remains of Edith Finch
1- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

AzaK

Zelda

Mario + Rabbids. It is amazing IMO. Very few games capture me nowadays where I actually want to go back to them when I have a chance.

Golf Story - This is hard to put down too. I like golf games (Although I don't play them often) and this has a cool style and fun story.

The Swapper - I bought this on Steam on sale this year I think. blood great game.

I've started quite a few games this year but Persona 5 is the only one I've actually finished.

So I guess my favorite games so far are P5 and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam. I've definitely played RS2 the most out of any game this year.

By Order:

#1 Player Unknown's Battlegrounds
#2 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
#3 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
#4 Fortnite Battle Royale

I haven't played that many games this year since I mostly just play PUBG whenever I get time to game. New additions may be Cuphead and Destiny 2 PC once I get the chance to play them and obviously Mario Odyssey.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
nier-automata-pc.jpg

promo324068006

gravity-rush-2-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-10jun16

Uncharted-The-Lost-Legacy-02.jpg

HB_Poster_PlayStation_Store.jpg

Top Bottom