• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3/4s through the year. What are you favorite games so far?

The start of the year was stellar for me. Persona 5, Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn - never before have I gotten 3 Platinums back to back. I don't care about them usually so that tells you how much I enjoyed those 3 games. Since then I've been on a bit of a humdrum run. Nothing really jumped out at me and as such I've been replaying older games for that warm glow of familiarity. Not the games fault this year - more a me thing. Here is hoping AC Origins is great and that RDR hits Spring next year. That and games from this year go on sale and I cheap out and get them and then find out they are great and I was just a misery guts this year :D

Tonton

Still only played TitS 3rd ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thinking of getting Hollow Knight and Cuphead still this year though

Zwei 2 for sure if it's still this year

MGrant

Not counting DS3 DLC, I have enjoyed my time the most with:

6. Splatoon 2
5. ARMS
4. BOTW
3. Cuphead
2. Nier: Automata
1. Hollow Knight

Darkrider

Just as a general comment.. this year has been incredible. I've been gaming since 1985 and 2017 has got to be one of the best years in gaming ever.

Personally:

PUBG
Legend of Zelda: BotW
Cuphead
Splatoon 2
Dark Souls 3 DLC
Dead Cells

This year is going to suck so much when GOTY comes.

Of the games I’ve played, I absolutely loved Zelda, Yakuza 0, and Trails in the Sky The 3rd, to the point that any other year, each of them would deserve a top spot.

I feel RE7 deserves a special mention too because it’s really good. It’s defibitely somewhere on the top ten.

Then there’s games I haven’t finished yet like Nier, Persona, Horizon or Ys, that all have strong potential but I’d like to finish them first.

Given the number of releases in the upcoming months, particularly Mario, yeah, it’s gonna suck. This isn’t a Dragon Age Inquisition year lol.

Zelda Botw
Metroid Samus Returns
Destiny 2
Splatoon 2
Sonic Mania.

Most looking forward to Mario Odyssey. It will be very difficult for it to surpass BotW which is now my favorite single player game of all time, but anything is possible.

d00d3n

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is probably my favorite right now, but BOTW, Nier: Automata and Prey were great as well.

PooBone

Guess I just added RiME to my list!

tenor.gif

The Argus

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Titanfall 2 (I know this came out last year but I started it in the Summer)
3. Cuphead
4. Horizon
5. Uncharted Lost Legacy

Excepting Mario to take the throne.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Top 3 for me is definitely:

1. Persona 5
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Yakuza 0

All phenomenal games. Below that... dunno, tough to say. We'll see. That list would definitely include Sonic Mania, and Yakuza Kiwami.

Perineum

Prey is my GOTY so far by a long mile.

Other games I have enjoyed in no order:

Tekken 7
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
Destiny 2
Fortnite
Horizon Zero Dawn
Senua's Sacrifice
Nier Automata
Persona 5
Resident Evil 7

I've played other games throughout the year, but these are definitely the standouts this year. I still think GOTY could be snatched up by Evil Within 2 coming up.

watdaeff4

I have not played a lot of the Heavy Hitters yet but from what I've played :

Zelda and Destiny 2 are a cut above the rest.
RE7 and Nier deserve special mentions
MLB17 continues to excel

pakkit

Banned
TitS: the 3rd
hmmm

I haven't gone about making a finalized list yet, but I'd say...

1. Night in the Woods
2. Stories Untold
3. Observer
4. Pyre
5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
6. What Remains of Edith Finch
7. Subsurface Circular
8. Everything
9. Little Nightmares
10. The Sexy Brutale

But I've got a few games I want to finish playing before year's end.

jjonez18

Horizon: Zero Dawn for me. Game had my jaw dropped for a good 60 hours. Best exclusive on PS4 imo. Best overall game released on the platform this year.

*I don't own a Switch nor an XB1. To be fixed soon.

Edit: Oh we doin top tens

Well
1: Horison Zero Dawn
2: Everything else, as I've only completed HZD this year

As it stands right now (beginning of Q4), I have the following as my personal favorites for the year (ranked in descending order):

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS)
2. Splatoon 2 (NS)
3. Persona 5 (PS4)
4. NieR: Automata (PC)
5. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
6. Steamworld Dig 2 (NS)
7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
8. Mario X Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (NS)
9. Golf Story (NS)
10. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)

Disclaimer: I have yet to get around to playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Ys VIII, and Horizon: Zero Dawn, all of which (given how much I enjoyed their respective developers' previous output) have a strong chance of rearranging my personal top ten. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, while still unreleased, are also in the same boat.

EDIT: Dead Cells would definitely be high up on the list, but I don't count it as released as its in still in Early Access.

FiveSide

Banned
My favorite gaming year of all time at this point. I don't think there's any other year with such a stack of games that I really connected with. Almost every single game I played has been a treasure.

A Top 5 is tough, and this might even be subject to change in the future, but...

1. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard. RE7 is to VR what Super Mario 64 is to 3D console games. What Doom is to FPS. What Pac-Man is to arcade games. A stunning, fully-realized manifesto of what makes VR such a breathtaking experience. In the context of Resident Evil as a franchise, it also returns to the survival horror roots and presents a meticulously designed, focused journey through a madhouse. One of my all-time favorite gaming experiences, and a landmark release in my opinion. This is the future, especially for horror.

2. What Remains of Edith Finch. My favorite indie game of all time. Stunningly crafted, aggressively creative, and achingly evocative. What a powerful game, and one that knows exactly what makes video games special, and takes advantage of those strengths flawlessly.

3. NieR: Automata. A brilliant, beautiful mess of a game, but its highs are truly some of the most powerful moments I've seen in gaming. A codification of everything Yoko Taro stands for, built on a rock-solid, polished framework supplied by the gameplay maestros themselves, PlatinumGames. Okabe returns for another GOAT-tier soundtrack without skipping a beat. While the game is too uneven for me to put it at the absolute top of my 2017 list, it's the game I connected with the most on a personal level, and is my current game of the generation.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It takes maybe a brief hour or two to realize that you are playing a modern classic. An atom bomb of a game, obliterating the venerable Zelda formula in one fell swoop. A masterpiece of modernism, sweeping away the expected conventions of its franchise and offering instead a stunning world of utter freedom, beautiful vistas, and subtle but effective music. Not only the best game in the Zelda series, but a striking artistic statement and perhaps the most important game Nintendo has released thus far in the 21st-century.

5. Prey. Arkane at the height of their powers. A carefully, ingeniously crafted throwback to System Shock, nailing the perfect balance between modern accessibility and retro progression and world design. There is a sort of mathematical, obsessive precision to the level design in Prey, and as you explore the space station and uncover more of the narrative, you also begin to see how the world as a whole comes together in a realistic and logical way. Absolutely one of the highlights of the year, and it should be mentioned in the same breath as all of the other heavyweights.

In another year, any of these games would be a shoe-in for GOTY. And that's not even considering the rest of the games I played this year! 2017 delivered in a way I never expected, and with Evil Within 2 and potentially Super Mario Odyssey, it will close out my favorite gaming year of all time.

Breath of the Wild releasing this year is almost unfair to anything else, but other than it I also enjoyed Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment. Haven't played Nier yet.

But yeah, BotW. Nothing comes close this year, and frankly not much comes close in general.

Edit: Wait, I forgot Hollow Knight came out this year! Definitely a close second behind BotW, and one of the best games I've played in every respect.

Celcius

°Temp. member
My two favorite games of the year are Tales if Berseria and Sonic Mania. Both exceeded my expectations and I’ve really enjoyed.

taoofjord

My current 2017 list. Note that games in parentheses are ranked games from a previous year that I'm either still playing/replayed/just got to:

15) Nioh
14) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
13) Dark Souls II: The Ringed City
12) Arms
11) Quake Champions
10) Holdfast: Nations at War
9) Friday the 13th
8) Horizon: Zero Dawn
- (Severed)
7) Resident Evil 7
- (Doom 2016 - MP)
6) Shovel Knight: Specter Knight
5) Destiny 2
- (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)
- (Rainbow Six: Siege)
- (Planet Coaster)
4) Player Unknown's Battlegrounds
- (Battlefield 1)
3) Nier: Automata
2) Splatoon 2
- (Overwatch)
1) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Games likely to be on my list (and placed highly) once I play/finish them:

- Hollow Knight
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Metroid: Fusion
- Divinity: Original Sin II
- Observer
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- The Evil Within II
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Wolfenstein II

Dueck

Banned
Persona 5... I never get sick, but I wound up catching something brutal around the time this came out and it really helped me remain distracted. Doubly important as I was barely sleeping from all the coughing at night. I owe it bigtime.

XCOM 2: WotC reinvented an otherwise good game for the better. Aside from the annoyance of a patch that rendered the game unusable for a couple of weeks (and 2K support unable to remedy it), I don't have any complaints. I ended up discovering a fix and sharing it in as many places as I could though, as I'd appreciate others doing it for me.

Destiny 2 has yet to disappoint. I did the Nightfall with a couple fellow DoH GAF clan members last night and it's just a good time all-around.

Conan Exiles, while a broken disaster, hooked me quite powerfully too...

LaNaranja

I am honestly not expecting anything to provide me with more fun than ARMS and Rabbids have this year but if it happens I will be very pleasantly surprised.

1. ARMS (Switch)
2. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch)
3. Pokkén Tournament DX (Switch)
4. Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition (Switch)
5. Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch)
6. Snipperclips: Cut It Out Together! (Switch)
7. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Mega Battle (PS4)
8. Injustice 2 (PS4)
9. Sonic Mania (Switch)
10. Splatoon 2 (Switch)​

kenta

Has no PEINS
"Me" favorite game of the year will be a tough one to settle on. Persona 5 was a joy to play through, but the story and characters didn't really grip me as much as I had hoped. Yakuza 0's story and characters were far more engrossing, but the combat ended up feeling pretty ho-hum. So I've got this yin-yang of fantastic games going on and I'm probably going to have to flip a coin or something

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Prey and Yakuza 0

There have been lots of great games this year, can't wait to see if Evil Within 2 can make the GOTY list

black070

Persona 5 (GOTY unless Mario Odyssey is exceptional), Gravity Rush 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild and Resident Evil 7 in VR.

Jmille99

In no order:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Friday the 13th
Persona 5
Steamworld Dig 2
Everybodys Golf

Those would probably be in my top 5 as of right now.

ubiblu

Breath of the Wild is a clear no.1, with Mario a presumed second. Divinity: OS2 and Cuphead are the best non-Nintendo pics, and I quit enjoyed the final Dark Souls 3 DLC.

Nioh, Uncharted:LL, and Horizon were the most '8/10' games i've ever played and don't feature on my list at all (despite platinuming each of them).

Persona 5 and Yakuza Zero would easily be in the top 5 for 2017...if they were 2017 games. That minor detail notwithstanding, Persona 5 comfortably sits in my top 3 GOAT list.

It's been an amazing year so far, and still some huge titles left in the chamber.

Of the titles I've spent substantial time with:
Breath of the Wild
Persona 5
Horizon Zero Dawn
Cuphead
Sonic Mania
Splatoon 2
Crash

Breath of The Wild and Persona 5 are a tier above everything else for me.

Also loved Horizon, Uncharted Lost Legacy, What Remains of Edith Finch, Resident Evil 7, and enjoying Destiny 2.

Top Bottom