• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Ithil

Day 5 is down and I'm pleased that I'm keeping up with two films a day so far, I'm actually likely to finish my Universal/Hammer list that I made out by halfway through the month.

9) Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

SAY-UHHHHHHH.jpg

An audience needs something stronger than a pretty little love story. So, why shouldn't I write of monsters?

The monster learns to drink and smoke! Gooooood.

What a fine surprise this film was. It's typical of horror sequels, particularly of this era but really to this day, to simply be a rehash of the original, perhaps with more blood. They might have easily just recycled Frankenstein with some copycat replacement characters, but instead this is absolutely a Part 2, picking up right where the first film ended and continuing the story in a way that feels completely organic.

Featuring one of the more creative recaps of the first film I've seen a sequel do, the opening has Mary Shelley and Lord Byron himself chatting about her story, before she begins to tell more of the tale. There's more camp and humor in Bride compared to the first film (including the rather irritating screaming woman from The Invisible Man), but it doesn't take away from the emotional development, as it puts the monster front and center with him learning to be more human. Meanwhile we have a gloriously evil villainous scientist dragging poor Frankenstein back into the world of monster making. Dr. Pretorius was almost the star of the film outright, if it wasn't for Karloff's great work as the monster.
The film was also very finely shot, as you can really see the advancement in technology and technique both as we're getting further and further away from the silent era. The whole film is full of interesting framing and lighting, and wonderful moody sets.

I actually might say this was overall a better film than the first one (and I thought the first was great), and I'd call it essential viewing if you watch the first film.

10) The Invisible Ray (1936)

invisible2.jpg

The universe is very large, and there are some secrets we are not meant to probe.

It's Lugosi vs Karloff Round 2, this time with pseudoscience.
This film felt rather like the abundant sci-fi movies of the 1950s, despite being from 1936. Putting aside all the truly nonsensical science featured in the film, this was an enjoyable romp. with Karloff once again playing the villain against Lugosi, who's sporting a terrific goatee. Instead of a mad scientist creating a monster, this time the scientist himself is the experiment gone wrong (part of that 1950s vibe I mentioned above). The film actually touched on some proto-slasher elements late in the film, as Karloff started bumping off the cast.

One criticism that must be leveled at it was a fairly dodgy depiction of African natives. "For its time" or not, it was pretty painful.

Overall not a classic but if you're a fan of the two actors check it out. I also liked the film repeating the cast credits at the end with the heading of "A Universal cast is worth repeating". That's some amusing boasting there.

Cult-of-Chucky-banner.jpg

Cult of Chucky

Uh....I hate to play devil's advocate and I feel like I will be in the minority when it comes to this movie but I really wasn't feeling this at all. It was just EH to me. This comparison could be off and maybe my memory of Curse of Chucky not as good as I recall. If Curse of Chucky is suppose to be a throwback to the original Child's Play then this movie is a throwback to the Bride/Seed of Chucky. The portrayal of everyone in the mental hospital really bothered me on another level to the point I had a hard time letting the movie engross me. It just didn't feel nowhere near as tight as the previous movie. The most disgusting/hateful character isn't even Chucky in this movie and it seems as though you cannot help but to root for Chucky because of that. I'll admit though some of the imagery was really beautiful like the girl strapped to the bed(Yall know what scene I'm talking about) and Chucky himself had quite a lot of funny lines. I recommend it if you are a fan of the series, it just wasn't for me.

2/5

4. The Void (2016)
I wish more people liked this movie but ah well. It's the best Hellraiser we've seen in years, and certainly the best American Silent Hill film. I've seen so many awful horror films that its bad writing is lost on me- once the gears start grinding this X-rated creature feature is where it's at. It's rare for a film to disgust and thrill me but The Void certainly accomplishes that- and oh do I love how far it goes.

4. The Void (2016)
I wish more people liked this movie but ah well. It's the best Hellraiser we've seen in years, and certainly the best American Silent Hill film. I've seen so many awful horror films that its bad writing is lost on me- once the gears start grinding this X-rated creature feature is where it's at.
I was surprised how many people disliked this movie honestly but I watched it with super low expectations.

I was surprised how many people disliked this movie honestly but I watched it with super low expectations.
Samesies. I also watch a decent amount of straight to DVD horror fare so maybe there's that as well.

But imho, there's The Witch, It Follows, and this for my trio of recent releases "there is still a horror god." I still need to see The Wailing and Darling though.

I remember when I was a kid and going to the video store, they had a Pumpkinhead cardboard standee and it gave me nightmares. Right near the NES game section too so I always saw it. They had that thing up year-round too.

Finally when I watched the movie when I was older I was like "oh...yeah it's alright I guess."
Exactly!

1. (New) Jason Goes to Hell (Vudu) Overall - boo
2. (New) Trick 'r Treat (Blu) - Overall - Yay!
3. (Rewatch) From Dusk Till Dawn (hulu) Overall - Yay!
4. (Rewatch) The Faculty (hulu) - Overall - Yay!
5. (New) My Bloody Valentine (3d Blu) - Overall - yay.
6. (Rewatch) Sleepaway Camp 3 (vudu movies on us) - when I'm working I can sometimes have movies on. The Sleepaway Camp sequels are a favorite of mine for this. I enjoy 2 the most but it was bugging out yesterday so I put on 3 which takes place partially on Saturday the 14th. Overall - Yay
7. (New) Tag (Netflix) I actually thought from the trailer that this wouldn't count in the list but it was a much different movie than I was sold on. It had its moments but overall I was looking for something in the Battle Royale vein and wound up down a rabbit hole I didn't care about. Overall -Boo with random yays
8. (New) Pumpkinhead (Amazon prime) Overall 5/10
9. (Rewatch) Final Destination 5 (3-D Blu) man I love this series. I love to use the beginning death sequence to show the 3-D part of my tv off. The kills and the variation on the death rules are fun and there's always that ending. Overall- Yay!
10. (Rewatch) Piranha 3-D (3-D Blu) this has everything, Jerry O'Connell as a perfect Girl's Gone Wild Host, Adam Scott on a jet ski with a shotgun, and Elizabeth Shue in a vertigo shot. I love ridiculous films with where Piranhas choke on breast implants. Overall- Yay!

10. (Rewatch) Piranha 3-D (3-D Blu) this has everything, Jerry O'Connell as a perfect Girl's Gone Wild Host, Adam Scott on a jet ski with a shotgun, and Elizabeth Shue in a vertigo shot. I love ridiculous films with where Piranhas choke on breast implants. Overall- Yay!
Such an incredible experience! Love this film so much, from start to finish it goes where you expect and want it to.

4. The Void (2016)
I wish more people liked this movie but ah well. It's the best Hellraiser we've seen in years, and certainly the best American Silent Hill film. I've seen so many awful horror films that its bad writing is lost on me- once the gears start grinding this X-rated creature feature is where it's at. It's rare for a film to disgust and thrill me but The Void certainly accomplishes that- and oh do I love how far it goes.

The Void was alright, and the shit in the basement was dope. Some insane effects work. https://youtu.be/5EROr80rVQ8

Frankenstein shows Dracula how it’s done with a direct sequel of his own in...

5. The Bride of Frankenstein (James Whale, 1935)

bride_of_frankenstein_poster_031.jpg

Pretty much the ideal for Universal Monsters in my eyes. It adds just the right blend of camp, gothic horror, and mad science, and bolts it all to a tragic narrative that sneaks up on you with how playfully everything is told. The climax to this film is Hollywood monster movie perfection, in all its canted, chiaroscuro, glory.

lordxar

Fucking Shudder man...trying to get my Madman on but got just under 30 minutes in and the shit decides to buffer endlessly....so that's it. I got less than 30 minutes in and nothing to review today since it's now bedtime. Ugh

kinggroin

Banned
I thought the opening twenty minutes or so was particularly strong and promising, and felt quite disappointed when it devolved into silly monster antics and borderline slapstick for the rest of the film. It was like a switch was thrown as soon as they left the creeper's lair that changed the tone of the film completely.

Well, then, we sorta agree. Strong opening, and it gets weaker after that (noticeably so). It's the point at which that happens that we obviously don't see eye to eye. The film was definitely still engaging to me long after 20 minutes.

kinggroin

Banned
Fucking Shudder man...trying to get my Madman on but got just under 30 minutes in and the shit decides to buffer endlessly....so that's it. I got less than 30 minutes in and nothing to review today since it's now bedtime. Ugh

Simultaneously the greatest and worst streaming service

Ithil

Bonus Day 5 entry, as I had an hour to spare and this was a short entry:

11) The Raven (1935)

d095XO8.jpg

What are you telling me for? I'm not interested in your life story

Lugosi vs Karloff Round 3 in my October marathon, this time with Lugosi as the villain. This was an amusing little chiller, very short in runtime yet high on macabre and camp, mainly thanks to the quite fun third act where Lugosi goes full supervillain and reveals his house full of highly implausible traps and devices. Karloff doesn't get a whole lot to do as a simple crook caught up in Lugosi's evil scheme, mostly retreading ground from Frankenstein, but Lugosi is a real hoot in this film, totally diabolical.

Interesting approach to the "In name only" adaptation as while this is again "Suggested By" the Poe...poem and not directly adapting it, Lugosi's villain is obsessed with Poe stories in the film and it has The Raven as a motif throughout the film instead. Funnily enough I believe that's sort of the plot of the more recent The Raven film, a guy recreating murders from Poe stories. I haven't seen that one but I wonder if it was inspired by this film.

gnomed

Day 5 is down and I'm pleased that I'm keeping up with two films a day so far, I'm actually likely to finish my Universal/Hammer list that I made out by halfway through the month.

Nice, I wish I had your ambition. I went back on my promise of watching the Universal films and checked out Hatchet instead due the the runtime of 84mins.

3. Hatchet

Another movie I"m not sure if I have seen before or stopped halfway. I vaguely remember the intro, but lots of gratuitous nudity in the opening in part from being in the slasher genre. I've passed before on viewing the sequels, up to 3 I think, as I don't recall the first. Anyways, the film starts off quick enough, the characters are quickly introduced with the same tropes and have a small twist to the cliches. I jeered a bit from the small cameo by
Tony Todd, who doesn't like him
. The kills are gruesome to say the least and satisfactory for any gore fan. I appreciate the design of the "monster."

But I think the film would've worked better with less comedic elements and a more serious tone, mainly because of the setting/location in the bayou. Not a bad waste of time if you're trying looking for a quick filler.

GhaleonEB

1) | Society | via Amazon Prime streaming

Well that was certainly something.

Most of this movie ranged from serviceable to frustrating, as the lead just kind of bumbles around barely finishing sentences over the course of the film and everyone else around him hams it up. It did create a nice sense of brooding mystery as we build toward the inevitably icky ending.

Most of this film's reputation seems to stem from the last 20 minutes, which is warranted because that was a lot of k-y jelly.

The conclusion was not at all convincing or satisfactory; it felt like the story boxed itself into a corner and just kind of gave up after they ran out of budget for (fun, icky) practical effects. A big part of the problem is despite the long setup, I never felt any of the heroes were in any actual danger, which prevented the film from going into really tense or scary territory.

Still, there are worse ways to spend an evening than to watch a man get pulled inside out while a 5 gallon bucket of k-y jelly is poured over him.

Just now getting home and I’m ready to crash so tomorrow, I’ll do a double feature of tonight’s original pick [REC] (first time viewing) and tomorrow’s pick The Orphanage (also first time).

Fox Mulder

#2 The Nightmare (2015)

Saw this in the Netflix horror section. A film about sleep paralysis stories could be interesting. This is just boring really.

I've had this off and on most my life and have way better stories than this shadow people shit.

sp3ctr3

#5 It Follows

This was a fun little movie with a something, atleast to me, fresh. A great new way to tell the young audience it dangerous to have sex. The movie wasn't scary at all but there was a LOT of tension and dread. Knowing that "something" out there is out to get you and that it's slowly but surely heading your way in straight line.

The ending was great
It was proven once before that shooting the damned thing doesn't work. They shot it point blank in the head at the pool but it still grabbed her underwater. It was hit in the head again and it was supposedly finished off?
They seem to think so as she fucks Paul and they're a couple now. The final scene is great. They walk hand in hand and in the background you see a person walking. Is it IT? Or is it really over? Cut to black.

Either way, Paul is first in line if it is indeed not dead.

Day 1. - Little Evil - 1.5/5
Day 2. - The Pretty Thing that Lives in the House - 2.5/5
Day 3. - Gerald's Game - 3/5
Day 4. - The Invitation - 3.5/5
Day 5. - Creep - 1/5
Day 6. - Circle

Circle is a psychological thriller film written and directed by Aaron Hann and Mario Miscione staring a ensemble cast, I only recognized was Julie Benz(Dexter)

Circle is about a group of 50 people who are abducted by aliens and are forced to play a game that requires them to vote among who to kill until there's 1 left.

Circle is strange movie, almost felt like a Twilight Zone or a bottle episode of a sci-fi show. Felt pretty indifferent by the whole thing by the end, and I think that was the goal. Humans are fucked up and will do anything to survive at the end of the day. The movie just made me feel empty. It's an ok watch if you can't find anything else (Netflix)

2.5/5

sadromeo

October 5, 2017:

ZxFPKgk.jpg

5 of 31 - Shaun of the Dead

A movie about a 29 year old electronic store slacker who is going no where in life when the zombie apocalypse begins.

Shaun of the Dead is absolutely brilliant. Perfect parts comedy and horror. Just enough comedy to be cheeky and fun but still enough horror to be taken seriously. Each character was played perfectly by their actors (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost FTW) and the story played out nicely. I felt that Shaun of the Dead paid tribute to other zombie movies with its style. This is a fun Halloween movie and I could not recommend it enough. -9/10

7. Christine 1983

A gem. Carpenter does an amazing job making the car feel alive without any gimmickry, the special effects of Christine rebuilding herself is so well done and reminds me how much I miss practical effects. The usage of rock and roll songs from the 50s as Christine's voice is inspired and really effective. She is the star and she feels alive, which is quite a feed as Carpenter relied on camera work, and the car's radio to pull off the illusion of life

Only thing missing was a really recognizable score from Howarth and Carpenter, there were tiny traces of brilliance but few and far between, for the guys behind the amazing Halloween scores I expected more. A more noticeable synth sound would have enhanced the film, instead the music is forgettable, quiet and generic. That said the usage of rock n roll was perfect and perhaps that's what they wanted the film to be remembered for musically.

Recommend.

Hamoody

5) The Thing (1982)

MV5BNDcyZmFjY2YtN2I1OC00MzU3LWIzZGEtZDA5N2VlNDJjYWI3L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR81,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

John Carpenter's "The Thing" is a suspenseful masterpiece. The story follows a group of American research scientists in remote Antarctica,
but they are not there alone as they realize a shape shifting extraterrestrial has been hunting them.

The movie is really well adjusted with its balanced suspense and thriller aspects. This is a must watch for horror fans, as it cements John Carpenter's legacy in the horror genre, after his successful slasher/horror film Halloween.

J-Roderton

^ Ugh. I still need to watch The Thing. Maybe at some point by the end of the month.

Didn't get to one yesterday, but at least I've already logged five for the month. I'm going to be out of town this weekend. What tv channels are showing movies this month? I only have streaming stuff at home, so I have no idea what is on tv. I'm really not trying to watch a movie on my iphone while gone.

^ Ugh. I still need to watch The Thing. Maybe at some point by the end of the month.

Didn't get to one yesterday, but at least I've already logged five for the month. I'm going to be out of town this weekend. What tv channels are showing movies this month? I only have streaming stuff at home, so I have no idea what is on tv. I'm really not trying to watch a movie on my iphone while gone.

TCM has a pretty great selection they’re showing all month. That’s where I’m getting the majority of my movies from. You can look at the schedule online.

PR_rambo

Banned
I watch the thing every year, I just can't get over how great it is, truly underappreciated in it's time. The effects for the creature are fantastic, and the idea of being isolated with that thing on the south pole of all places is chilling.

Yeah puns are fun to make.

Day 1. - Little Evil - 1.5/5
Day 2. - The Pretty Thing that Lives in the House - 2.5/5
Day 3. - Gerald's Game - 3/5
Day 4. - The Invitation - 3.5/5
Day 5. - Creep - 1/5
Day 6. - Circle - 2.5/5
Day 7. - Curse of Chucky

Curse of Chucky is a slasher film and the sixth installment of the Child's Play franchise Written and directed by Don Mancini(Child's Play franchise)

We learn more of chucky's origins and the moments of his death and becoming one with the chucky doll.

I've never been a big fan of slasher films, it's my least favorite sub genre of horror(right next to torture horror, like Saw) and my feelings on this movie are no different. It doesn't do anything new or inventive, and does the same old tricks the genre is known for. Never turn your back on the killer after you attack him once, come on people! Slasher Films are just not for me. But I hate myself so I'll still watch Cult of chucky though.

1.5/5

Did this one a day early. super busy this weekend.

I've kind of dropped off of horror movies for a while, but got back on after seeing Babadook and Final Girls. Final Girls is a surprisingly great film if you haven't seen it, and it's a loving tribute to several slasher films. I even detected a nod to Final Destination in the beginning..

4. The girl with all the gifts

This movie was better than it had any rite to be. You don't expect good acting from children in horror movies. I expect them to be creepy but this little girl delivers on all fronts. The music is spot on and the ending gives me
last of us
vibes.

4 spore pods out of 5.

5. Sharknado

This movie is the very definition of someone saying, "We'll fix it in post." There are so many parts of this movie that are bad. Other parts of the movie are just insulting. There were times where it was so bad it was good, but not enough to make me want to reccomend it to anyone.

2 Houses full of water with driveways as dry as a desert out of 5.

6. Creepshow 2

Horror anthologies are tricky to pull off. When they work, there is nothing better to get you in the halloween spirit as the mix of the macabre and dark humor are perfect. However, there are more bad horror anthologies than there are good and Creepshow 2 leans more to the bad category. However, there are enough worthwhile moments to recommend it to fans of the first.

So, the question is what went wrong with Creepshow 2? Stephen King and George Romero are still involved but their roles have been and scaled back to a story credit and cameo for King and the screenplay duties handled by Romero. The director slot is now filled by the cinematographer of the first, which I'm perfectly fine with. It's great that Romero stepped aside in an attempt to elevate the status of his colleagues. Romero's eye is still missed though as the film lacks much of the unique EC comicbook look and feel from the first.

The biggest issue though is the script. Due to budget constraints there are only 3 sequences in the sequel vs. 5 from the original. The writing isn't as sharp and is lazy, especially for the "mean spirited" characters these type of movies are known for. There's no Leslie Nielson calibre role here, instead the bad guys roles feel forced with edgy dialogue and motivations. Mistakes were also made with the amount of time given to each segment. I'll break it down.

Chief Woodenhead: This is basically the equivalent of the birthday cake segment of the original. It should be a simple little story of a wooden statue getting revenge for the shopowners that took care of it. That's great to have in these type of flicks. They're designed to bring the audience in and get them ready for what the rest of the film is going to give us and serve as an appetizer. However, there is more time spent on this segment than any other or at least it felt that way.

The Raft: This should be the best that Creepshow 2 has to offer, but it's too short and feels rushed. The scenario is fun, unique, and really needed to be meatier overall. The character's and their fates all feel a bit all over the place and messy as a result. The writing was still on the level of the first segment with lazy dialogue and forced characterizations (the sexual assault had me raising my eyebrows, where did that come from?). The Raft deserved better.

The Hitchhiker: As it stands, this is the best written segment. It's fun, the dark humor is on point, and the effects are great. I don't think it worked well as a the go-home segment though.

The Wrap-around: The animation was cool, but it was a missed opportunity to not see the venus fly traps as a practical effect. I assume the budget wouldn't allow that though. The creeper also looked much worse even though it was nice to see Savini again.

All in all, as a result it doesn't really feel like you get your moneys worth compared to the original. Imagine taking the first and removing the "Something to Tide You Over" and "The Crate" segments and then fill the rest with weaker writing. In a nutshell, that's Creepshow 2.

Verdict: 5.5/10 "Ehh"

5. Sharknado[/B]

This movie is the very definition of someone saying, "We'll fix it in post." There are so many parts of this movie that are bad. Other parts of the movie are just insulting. There were times where it was so bad it was good, but not enough to make me want to reccomend it to anyone.

2 Houses full of water with driveways as dry as a desert out of 5.

Those intentionally "so bad it's good" movies never really work for me. They fail to capture the magic of what makes sincere "so bad it's good" flicks work and just seem lame. The only person I've seen be able to pull it off is Robert Rodriguez.

Divius

Dove in head first yesterday in my quest to catch up and watched the first 3 Friday the 13th movies. Reviews will be posted later.

Stuck at work today for 11 hours, but can probably fit in 2 or 3 more tonight. I should maybe get some sleep at some point as well..

Aikidoka

8. What We Do in the Shadows - Pretty wonderful comedy that gave a good reset after that filming scene from Portrait of a Serial Killer.

9. House on Haunted Hill

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Well for the first 20 minutes or so, I was very disappointed as it was very inane and didn't really match up with the original at all. I think this movie was really trying to parody some things about the first movie (maybe the fans?) - and some of those parody moments were actually pretty good. Overall, TCM2 was at least some decent fun, and it was probably smart to not just re-iterate and go in a different direction. As a bonus, TCM2 directly inspired the greatest Resident Evil fight.

11. Sleepaway Camp
This image actually serves as a pretty good summary for Sleepaway Camp and perhaps my reaction to it. The movie is funny and part of it is due to the inanity of everything. I'm not sold on the twist ending, which feels unnecessary, but, regardless, it was memorable.

kevin1025

Banned
10) The Thing (2011)

The sequel/prequel/remake. It has its moments, but definitely doesn't hit the high high's of the Carpenter version. I've never seen the Hawks produced one from the '50's, one day I'll get to it. This one feels paint by numbers, hitting similar beats and trying to be a tiny bit different at key points. But relying too much on CG and trying to go bigger leads to it being overall disappointing. But Mary Elizabeth Winstead is good as always, and Joel Edgerton is there to be reliable!

11-13) Phantasm III, Phantasm IV, Phantasm V

I ended up not liking them much, outside of Reggie Bannister. But you've got talking balls, telepathy, nonsensical story beats, and whatever the hell that fifth movie was. I liked the first movie and there was some really good stuff in the second. But the folow-up films here just feel like spinning tires and doing the best they could with the budget rather than trying to do something different. I really wish they'd done Phantasm's End instead and went out with a bang. This all felt incredibly lackluster, despite a decent moment here and there.

lordxar

Madman I think Shudder was trying to help me avoid this by buffering so much. I did finally get it watched but it really wasn't worth the effort. Madman Mars is a complete Jason ripoff in all the worst ways. In fact I hesitate even calling this a b movie effort. It really felt like a college project which it may well be. The kills were pretty boring and there was a lot of bad attempts at horror.

I give this two hillbillies with bad zombie makeup choking on the miserable failure this movie was.

madman.jpg

"The saw is family!"
Movie 5 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
l3Z1zkB.jpg

As a completely arbitrary challenge this year, I'm going to format my reviews in ≤140 and ≤280 character "tweets".

So radically different in tone from it's peerless predecessor that it fails to be enjoyably off-kilter or effectively entertaining.

If the original been this insanely grotesque, I'd have likely enjoyed this more. Otherwise feels like a complete waste of potential in just about every aspect. Not even a completely under-utilized Dennis Hopper dual-wielding chainsaws helps this film. Just really disappointing.

Liked:
- Bill Moseley's character being horrendously gross
- The cheesy soundtrack
- Some of the set designs

Did not like:
- The radical shift in tone from the original
- The over-the-top goofball characterization of the family
- The dumb chili sub-plot
- Dennis Hopper basically serves no real purpose in this film
- The disconnected writing

1 'Nam flashback! out of 5
--

The more I think about this movie the less I like it.

4. The Void (2016)
I wish more people liked this movie but ah well. It's the best Hellraiser we've seen in years, and certainly the best American Silent Hill film.

Really have to disagree with this. I thought Grave Encounters hit a lot of the same visuals and tonality of Silent Hill more strongly than the actual licensed films did. The Void was more in line with a typical zombie/infection film (disparate strangers trapped in a singular place by an external force) to me. The Void seems more in line with something like The Thing in that regard.

I've never thought about Silent Hill as "cosmic horror" but thinking on it now I can't actually find any reason not to. Interesting.

Toa TAK

Banned
Day 6,

6. Christine

Silly ass movie with a possessed car. Still, there were some pretty cool shots in here with it reconstruction itself, and on the road while it was on fire. I enjoyed seeing the progression of Arnie going from spinless nerd to hardcore douche.

kinggroin

Banned

While Tom Holland's Child's Play isn't the first killer-doll outing in the horror genre, there can't be any question that it's by far the most impactful one. Inspired by the infamous "Robert the doll", a toy said to have harbored the spirit of a mischievous child, Child's Play ramps things up from simple malfeasance to effective, explosive violence. Much of that effectiveness is attributed to the charismatic synergy found between both Chucky's physical performance, and Brad Dourif's voiceover of the murderous doll. Seriously, as creepy as an autonomous children's toy is - especially one with a penchant for killing - it's the delivery of some very adult lines and maniacal laughter that brings a shiver-inducing juxtaposition to the "role".

This wasn't the first time a haunted doll put the spook on me, but never were they this intense. Unfortunately, it was also the last time I'd feel this way; partly why this horror classic will forever sit in such high regard.

Lisa-and-the-Devil.jpg

#7 - Lisa and The Devil/House of Exorcism (FTV)

Films like this royally piss me off.

Had I known that House of Exorcism was a horribly mangled and incoherent Exorcist clone version of Bava's Lisa and the Devil, I wouldn't have even bothered with this one. The "flashback" sequences that was actually the original movie seemed like a good Bava film full of beauty, blood, and a good sense of dread. I enjoyed those segments even if they were a bit confusing. Elke Sommer was gorgeous in this, and really represents the type of gothic beauty found in Bava's work.

Then came the added scenes to create House of Exorcism. It was horrible, terribly confusing, poorly acted, and ruined a really good gothic horror film. They tried to make the lead into a clone of Regan (complete with pea soup projectile vomiting) with them shouting expletives every other word, and a random naked woman showing up trying to entice the Father Merrin rip-off. Apparently, Bava was reluctant to do this, and he just left the room when the other director filmed the new scenes. Bava finally ended up leaving the film altogether, and demanded his name be taken off of it. Thankfully, it flopped as a terrible Exorcist rip-off. I feel cheated. Bava deserved better than this. But at least it has Kojack as the Devil.

4 shitty, pointless, shamelessly spliced together Exorcist clones out of 10.

Astral Dog

Guys watch GerAld's Game, tensest of the month
Someone here recommended Possession, its a surreal movie with ridiculous dialogue, weird metaphors and camerawork. But i was glued to the screen the entire time O.O

And for the Ladies.

images

The Stepford Wives its about a woman that moves to a 50s suburbia and something isn't quite right, Spooooky.you will get uncomfortable. D:

chopping-mall-dead-robot.gif

#8 - Chopping Mall (FTV)

There's always one highly-regarded classic every year that I feel like everyone has seen except me when it comes to the October Challenge. This year, that FTV may very well be Chopping Mall. This was such a fun horror film full of 80s goodness, typical horror tropes, and one bad ass head explosion scene. I'm also thankful that it has a relatively short running time because it didn't overstay its welcome. Lots of good death scenes, and I immediately recognized the mall as the one used in Commando. So far, it's my favorite FTV of the challenge. But it's still early.

7 Johnny-Fives come alive and murders you with lasers out of 10.

SeanC

Chopping Mall really is one of those "So bad it's good" kind of movies. It's also totally a type of movie that could only exist from the 1980s.

Top Bottom