• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 industries announces a Beta for a patch for the MCC, delays it, then cancels it.

They really had no clue why their matchmaking is broken, at this point just spend the time to recode the entire back end, hell i'd take halo 4's matchmaking engine over what the MCC tries to do.

I was one of those people who sold off his 360 disc collection thinking this would be the next coming.

I defended this game at first but I think it's beginning to be safe to say that it has surpassed DriveClub/BF4/AC:U status...

The PS Plus version of DC hasn't even been released yet, and AC:Unity isn't even getting another performance patch (and MP performance is still terrible). They all suck right now.

The MCC should've been such a beautiful thing, but instead it's just become such a lost cause for so many people, and apparently 343 themselves. They aren't solving this before Halo 5 comes out.

I honestly believe it will work before Halo 5 comes out. We should make avatar bets on this.

Megasoum

Banned
The worst part about the whole MCC is that they are releasing so many patches for the game that they are clogging up the whole Microsoft certification pipeline. And obviously, since they are a first party dev and Halo is a big PR mess they are always going in cert in priority over other studios.

I've heard rumors of devs getting their cert date bumped because of that.

Hatchtag

Banned
Who would green light a Halo game to be outsourced to 6 different studios? That's just asking for trouble and to compound that with 343's horrible mismanagement. I don't know how these guys sold us a truly broken game and even had the gall to advertise it with the press by doing special "preview streams" and news articles.

They knew the game shipped broken - they knew and played dumb. I like Frankie and don't know how much control he had over this, but he knew too.

I don't honestly think outsourcing it to six different studios was a terrible idea, since they're essentially working on just one game each. Given good management and the right amount of time, they could have made a good product. But they clearly did not get that.

Figments

That is just insane. There is NO WAY they didn't know the game was broken before release. There are way too many bugs in there. When the game released, you could play for one hour and you were guaranteed to encounter ATLEAST a few bugs. Still don't know why people defend this.

I don't think I'm defending it. All did say was a possible reason, not that it was correct.

RowdyReverb

Lastly, there were some added challenges surrounding the CU beta – including an extra series of required updates and rollbacks - that made us take a step back and reexamine the CU beta.
I'm ok way this. If the CU beta rollout logistics are going to significantly eat into time the studio could spend actually working on the CU, then they should cancel the beta.

Toa TAK

Banned
Relic seems cool, but I haven't had the urge to play TMCC due to this mess regarding the update. I don't want to jump back in until this is released.

Also, what the hell is the deal with recycling playlists? Is it too much to ask for to just add playlists instead of outright replacing them?

The PS Plus version of DC hasn't even been released yet, and AC:Unity isn't even getting another performance patch (and MP performance is still terrible). They all suck right now.

I honestly believe it will work before Halo 5 comes out. We should make avatar bets on this.

The PS+ version of DC is irrelevant as that's a separate product, the game people paid $60 for has been basically 95% functional for about 2 months now. ACU's performance is shit, but the fact is the game works and you can play it.

MCC is in another league from those things, though whether or not it's worse than BF4's launch is up for debate, I didn't play enough BF4 to speak for that experience.

It's funny that they think people should be excited for Relic. Considering the scope of this disaster, it's pathetic compensation. They should have doubled the map count. I'd say maybe make a big team map pack but obviously their horrifically optimized Anniversary engine couldn't handle something like Waterworks or Containment.

Even ODST is pathetic, since they probably had to do next to nothing because most of that work was already done by porting Halo 3.

I'm not saying we're "entitled" to anything, just that I'd rather have no compensation than be insulted with this offering, and here they are expecting me to lap up some fucking concept art of a ten year old map.

Half assing every aspect of this collection is what got them into this mess, and they're still doing it. They obviously don't care at all. Sad.

BigDug13

They're doing this so the update can come out sooner. I mean, don't get me wrong, the game has MANY issues but I don't understand what's so bad about this news (outside of them changing their plans in a short amount of time).
What it shows me is that even after this patch, the game is going to be broken so they don't want a bunch of "I told you so" after beta testers submit their list of bugs that wont be fixed.

Who cares if the update comes sooner if the number of testers needed to lock down all the issues never takes place. The reality is that they're not being given the resources to "fix" the game. MS got what they wanted in the form of sales. Their level of give a fuck is super low in 2015 for a 2014 release.

Bsigg12

They need to start completely from scratch.

From what it sounded it, that's what they're doing. I wonder how much more the beta to preview members would have broken everything.

Anyways, I hope this is fixed before E3 because I really don't want to hear anything about MCC come June in regards to fixing it.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm just insulted that Phil pushed this thing and then said nothing but ask 343

MCC was supposed to be that game you can always turn on and hop into a match and have fun

But now Microsoft is all like 'halo 5 halo 5, sucks for you MCC owners, halo 5'

No... I want the game fixed, I don't understand how this is even sold in stores at full price, it's a disgrace

The PS+ version of DC is irrelevant as that's a separate product, the game people paid $60 for has been basically 95% functional for about 2 months now. ACU's performance is shit, but the fact is the game works and you can play it.

MCC is in another league from those things, though whether or not it's worse than BF4's launch is up for debate, I didn't play enough BF4 to speak for that experience.

Have you played AC: Unity? It still has massive FPS issues and the MP connection and performance issues make it nearly unplayable. Halo:MCC is currently in much better shape than AC: Unity. I'm not sure how you put it in a league worse than AC: Unity. I pointed out DC because of the broken promise with no update other than it's on hold.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yes. Right.

Do you remember any other 343i product that didn't have a public beta so that it could come out sooner? How did that turn out?

I don't know what you want me to say since it's based on an assumption that them doing this will mean that the update won't cause major improvements.

Wanting to get a game fixed as soon as possible (especially when it has had issues long enough) is different from launching a game as soon as possible.

At this point I simply want the game's issues to be fixed ASAP. If a public beta would have added time to that (e.g.: a couple of months) only to have similar end results then yeah, I would prefer them to just not do it.

_woLf

Maybe the problem was, and continues to be, way bigger than anyone realized?

I haven't been on a QA team for long, but in that little time I did learn that there are sometimes big problems that rarely arise during internal testing.

This is most likely correct.

That is just insane. There is NO WAY they didn't know the game was broken before release. There are way too many bugs in there. When the game released, you could play for one hour and you were guaranteed to encounter ATLEAST a few bugs. Still don't know why people defend this.

Defending the testers here is fine. It's not like they don't find these bugs -- QA isn't the most powerful department at a game company (in fact, it's arguably the least powerful).

It is better to delay the patch if it wasn't ready...

But obviously that should have been done for the game. And the fact they didn't know the patch wasn't ready for beta testing.. I wonder if that was a PR decision based on reaction to the beta patch in the first place?

Hard to know.

As an outsider/fan, it feels like the studio, and in a sense, even the ip, is in a really weird state of perception right now.

They better have something really special with the Halo 5 campaign.

I don't know about AC Unity but this stands heads and shoulders above everything else as far as a grand screwup is concerned.

The free version of Driveclub not being available isn't even close to the same thing.

Wiggy

How big are 343? How many are still working on fixing/improving MCC and how many are on Halo 5? Cant imagine microsoft planned on them still to have major work to do on MCC in feb 2015, makes me wonder if this might effect Halo 5. Or is this one of those outsourced things with 343 supervision?

hawk2025

I don't know what you want me to say since it's based on an assumption that them doing this will mean that the update won't cause major improvements.

Wanting to get a game fixed as soon as possible (especially when it has had issues long enough) is different from launching a game as soon as possible.

At this point I simply want the game's issues to be fixed ASAP. If a public beta would have added time to that (e.g.: a couple of months) only to have similar end results then yeah, I would prefer them to just not do it.

How do you know it would have similar end results?

Why was there going to be a beta in the first place, if 343 expected similar results with or without the beta?

Your conclusion is also based on an assumption. The trouble is that mine seems somewhat more reasonable given what has happened a few months back, and the fact that they themselves deemed a larger beta necessary only a few weeks ago.

i played a couple BTB games last night. Worked really well actually. Quick match ups and didn't have to wait.

It wasn't halo 5 so i stopped... became sad and watched the Grammys.

Cess007

They're doing this so the update can come out sooner. I mean, don't get me wrong, the game has MANY issues but I don't understand what's so bad about this news (outside of them changing their plans in a short amount of time).

Haven't played MCC but after reading the complains of people, tbh, it's not a matter of the update coming sooner (At least not a this point anymore), but coming right, and i think for that, a Beta would have been a good idea.

I don't know about AC Unity but this stands heads and shoulders above everything else as far as a grand screwup is concerned.

The free version of Driveclub not being available isn't even close to the same thing.

MCC feels like a bigger fuck-up because it's Halo, but trust me... MCC is a much better experience (including multiplayer issues) than AC: Unity.

Have you played AC: Unity? It still has massive FPS issues and the MP connection and performance issues make it nearly unplayable. Halo:MCC is currently in much better shape than AC: Unity. I'm not sure how you put it in a league worse than AC: Unity. I pointed out DC because of the broken promise with no update other than it's on hold.

I played through the entirety of ACU a couple weeks ago. The FPS is dogshit, but it works.

I honestly believe the release of this game is borderline criminal, and I would like to be a part of any attempt seeking legal action against Microsoft/343 (although I probably cannot do it now considering I got a full refund for my digital purchase).

This game is the definition of shovelware. This game + the broken XBL party chat + the crushed blacks on Xbox One has me seriously considering trading in my Xbox One.

DieH@rd

Banned
So.... ~ Sorry no fix for MP problems that are still happening 3 months after release. Here's some concept art to help you pass the time while wasting time in matchmaking.

Oh 343.

I honestly believe the release of this game is borderline criminal, and I would like to be a part of any attempt seeking legal action against Microsoft/343 (although I probably cannot do it now considering I got a full refund for my digital purchase).

This game is the definition of shovelware. This game + the broken XBL party chat + the crushed blacks on Xbox One has me seriously considering trading in my Xbox One.

I've heard that the crushed blacks are getting fixed in an update. And I think the party chat is also getting an overhaul this year. I'd hold on to it

hawk2025

Are we somehow working under the assumption that the MCC framerate is not dogshit relative to its target?

let's not forget that this collection was INTRODUCED as a 1080p/60fps experience, and that promise is broken as soon as you start Halo CE.

Regardless, I think the comparisons to AC are a bit pointless. We shouldn't use low bars to measure products, I don't think.

Purest 78

So pretty much they canceled the patch beta because of public perception Imo. This makes the situation look worse they should have kept it.

RedFury

I still didn't get my Free gold week or whatever was promised for early adopters. Does that mean I'm also not getting ODST because if so I'm done with 343 for good. What a shit show. I played story tried multi couldn't get it to work and just gave up.

So.... ~ Sorry no fix for MP problems that are still happening 3 months after release. Here's some concept art to help you pass the time while wasting time in matchmaking.

Oh 343.

They've provided many fixes/updates/patches. I don't understand this statement. lol
Wait time is still about the same as any other online game. Certain scenarios may prolong the wait. They are also giving halo:eek:dst and having certain affinity remake another map for halo 2 anniversary. Sorry troll try again. :)

Top Bottom