• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Rescinds Job Offer to Halo Community Member Over Forum Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Im just desensitized but I just don't see it as that harsh of an attack, mainly because I know he didn't mean it literally. Just a guy on the Internet venting his frustrations about something he is passionate about. If he had made death threats or some kind of racist comment I'd be far more upset about it.
But it isn't just "some guy". It is someone who wanted to be hired by the very people he was insulting.

And even if it was just some guy, it is still a stupid comment and people should be more respectful online. It is kind of sad comments like that are just excused as someone being frustrated. If you are frustrated and go yell in the street employees of a company should all be fired, everyone would think you are a lunatic.

Inviusx

Does 343 design their own maps in Forge?

I got pretty darn good at SnapMap in DOOM but the tools were miles away from creating something comparable to the campaign.

They didn't force him to do anything, lol.

I'm putting a lot of these ignorant comments down to the joys of youth, maybe a lot of school, college or university kids are making these ill informed posts?

I would think kids in school would at least be able to relate this to having a shitty teammate in sports. Or hell, in a videogame. If someone is cancerous to the team their talent quickly becomes more of a liability than an asset as its the only thing keeping them there.

watership

Maybe Im just desensitized but I just don't see it as that harsh of an attack, mainly because I know he didn't mean it literally. Just a guy on the Internet venting his frustrations about something he is passionate about. If he had made death threats or some kind of racist comment I'd be far more upset about it.

“I don’t like your decisions.” Vs “I don’t like you.” It’s a very common problem on the internet. I’ve said companies are idiots all the time on the internet. Yet I don’t want to work for those companies.

Does 343 design their own maps in Forge?

I got pretty darn good at SnapMap in DOOM but the tools were miles away from creating something comparable to the campaign.

They use internal tools for maps, but they have done a good job fostering an official community of Forge mapmakers that does collaborate with 343 often on things like the Halo 3 maps for the recently released Halo 3 Throwback playlist.

You know, I said earlier in this thread I thought it was more than a bit petty from 343, but with a comment like "no one there deserves their job", I really understand why 343 did what they did. That's the kind of thing that, if you work there, you're not gonna forget, that's just gonna linger. That could create a really unpleasant work atmosphere. It's a really shitty way to express disagreement too, while making it very personal. There's a way to express disapproval of a decision without getting personal and this isn't it.

leeh

Doesn’t matter if he signed a contract - he may have in fact signed it for all we know. They can rescind the offer any time they want, unless there’s a specific provision in the employment contract that says otherwise (and I’ve never seen any such provisions in my employment contracts - you generally only find things like that in industries with powerful unions or very highly paid jobs.)
I'm talking about UK law here as it's what I'm familiar with, but if a company revokes a position once you've signed the contract, you can sue them to hell and back.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Once, I watched a person who was highly skilled and perfect for a job get passed over because in his interview, he wasted time shitting on a former employer from several positions past. The team didn't want him, despite the fact that they needed his skills, because of the possibility he would simply turn out to be a shitty human being who would undermine anyone that wasn't in the room with him at the moment.

Currently, I'm watching a friend deal with another company they work at where a guy like this was hired for his resume and skillset in spite of his demonstrated personality... and is destroying the company from the inside out because he talks shit about whoever isn't there, thinks he is the only competent employee, and that nobody else deserves their jobs.

Being a shitty person or saying bad things has consequences. I realize that many people think being a harsh asshole is just being "opinionated". It doesn't work like that. There are so many stupid things people have gotten in the habit of saying and no longer realize just how stupid those things are. Like "X company is idiotic and everyone should be fired". That's the go-to shitpost online. But to many people who are professionals and actually deal the realities, that one statement makes a person look incompetent - as if they couldn't be trusted to understand what it's like to do real work.

ElNino

I'm talking about UK law here as it's what I'm familiar with, but if a company revokes a position once you've signed the contract, you can sue them to hell and back.
That isn't the case (that I'm aware of) in the US. In Canada at least, your employment can be terminated without cause while in a probation period (which lasts three months at my employer). That obviously includes the period of time after which you receive an offer of employment, and if I recall correctly I believe my offer had a clause about the offer pending a full background check.

Mindwipe

This thread has been a fascinating read, and it first of all makes me wonder in what kind of jobs (if any :p) all the people saying that 343 was petty or wrong are working in. I'd have to assume not in the corporate world, and probably not any with as much intense public scrutiny as video games have.

I think pretty much the opposite frankly.

Anyone who's worked in the corporate media world with more scrutiny than video games have would have experience with the fact you have to employ people who have slagged off your work previously, because otherwise your recruitment base is zero. Fact of life.

Heck, anyone who works in news media knows half the time you have to recruit people who have literally described your workforce as nazis on Twitter/national television at at least some point.

Oh, and I remain continually glad I don't work under America's terrible, no good employment laws.

thenexus6

He said it one time lol. Everyone keeps bringing that post up, but I can see what was going on when we he said it. Its the kind of thing someone will type at the peak of their frustration at something, one where you come up with the most embellished/exaggerated hyperbolic statement because there is really nothing else to say. I think most people can relate to that feeling and those who say they can't are just lying. Yeah yeah he should have kept it to himself but i dont blame him. Lets just look at what Halo has become under 343's supervision. Does anyone else who is a big halo fan not think, "wtf 343?" I don't blame 343 for rescinding the offer. Kind of hard to hire someone who is calling 343 out for their work. I am saying I completely understand the frustration multilockon was feeling when he typed that post. 343's handling of Halo has been downright bizarre. Its a good thing I'm not a developer/artist wanting to work for 343 because I'd never get hired lol.

Maybe if he said that comment like 2 or 3 years ago, but not even three months ago then to land his dream job..

Doesn’t matter if he signed a contract - he may have in fact signed it for all we know. They can rescind the offer any time they want, unless there’s a specific provision in the employment contract that says otherwise (and I’ve never seen any such provisions in my employment contracts - you generally only find things like that in industries with powerful unions or very highly paid jobs.)

Wasn't it saying he was working via an agency for them, I guess they just say that position is no longer available and he is still on the agencies books.

This should be a really strong lesson to a lot of people who blow up over trivial shit like fucking video games. That childish nonsense can come back to bite you in the butt. I know plenty of people who want to work in the gaming industry, and every time they talk about contacting some of these companies, I just think, "Man, I hope they don't figure out what your online username is."

It's not like that in the States at all.

sirap

Anyone who's worked in the corporate media world with more scrutiny than video games have would have experience with the fact you have to employ people who have slagged off your work previously, because otherwise your recruitment base is zero. Fact of life.

Heck, anyone who works in news media knows half the time you have to recruit people who have literally described your workforce as nazis on Twitter/national television at at least some point.

Oh, and I remain continually glad I don't work under America's terrible, no good employment laws.

Damn, that sounds rough. I'm glad gaming and VFX industries aren't like that. Hiring toxic people would be an absolute disaster for teams working on singular products for 2-3 years.

It depends on what the employment contract says. He might not have even signed it (probably hadn't). He just had an offer that he had accepted. Under law, that verbal agreement isn't good enough here. The contract between the parties wasn't valid until it was signed.

That's why you should always sign the new contract before quitting your old job and moving somewhere else.

Justinh

I dno seems like your standard ass internet hyperbole to me. I doubt he had any actual ill intention towards the people at 343 or he clearly wouldn't have applied.
I've talked the maddest shit about some games, I feel strongly about, to the point of catching bans. (cough Destiny...) But I also feel like people are always ready to misconstrue some hyperbolic statement on the internet as being a legitimate statement of intent. I personally think the hyperbole served the function of emphasis.

So instead of saying "I don't like the layout of this map because I think it's too hard to perform basic navigation tasks within it. I think the level designer should make some changes" you say "This fucking map is the biggest piece of shit ever! You have to perform some Dead or Alive style titty-twisting on the analog sticks to get any-fucking-where. Whoever designed this map is an asshole with a penchant for finger torture."

Yes statement one is accurate, but it's the internet and that's super boring and nobody cares about your measured statements. Statement two conveys the same information but is spicier and is far more likely to actually start a discussion.

I see this fellow is no longer around so unfortunately we won't be able to talk about this, but I guess I have an issue with the last couple sentences.

Does anyone really think that statement two actually is more likely to start a discussion? I guess it's more likely to generate reactions, but for an actual, interesting (to me at least) conversation statement one seems like a much better starting point to getting people to talk about something that's bothering someone. I mean, I'm no mod and am not trying to pretend like I'm one, but if I were to imagine that both these statements were the basis of a thread OP, statement two thread would be much more likely to be closed pretty quickly. I guess I just don't see "standard ass internet hyperbole" as being useful.

Com_Raven

Are you trying to tell me that all the people who say 343 was wrong are working for American news networks? Cause I have a hard time believing this, quite frankly.

i also don't think that I - or any of the people I hired - have ever been on public record saying that everyone in the company we applied for should get fired. maybe that is normal everyday criticism to you from a prospective candidate, but I'd have to disagree.

Anyone who's worked in the corporate media world with more scrutiny than video games have would have experience with the fact you have to employ people who have slagged off your work previously, because otherwise your recruitment base is zero. Fact of life..

I feel like there's a difference between the type of criticism that is common within that, and how the criticism was presented by the person the thread is about. I completely understand your post, but feel it's not often that employers will instantly shrug off the way it was presented as that's also a large part of the consideration.

You want someone that can be critical but present it in a reasonable, mature fashion. I'm often referred to as the wrecking ball in meetings because I have no issue telling clients what's wrong with their situation, but understand that comes with the expectation to be able to justify it as well as deliver it in a manner that's befitting of a professional environment. Targetting the issue and not the people is also a massive part of that, and I would never tell a client (or reference publicly in that way) that their staff were worthless as a result of how I see the issue at hand.

Comet

Damn, that sounds rough. I'm glad gaming and VFX industries aren't like that. Hiring toxic people would be an absolute disaster for teams working on singular products for 2-3 years.
I work in the enterprise software world and it's not the way he described it at all. People rarely ever deride their companies in such public manners. That post is pure hyperbole.

I work in the enterprise software world and it's not the way he described it at all. People rarely ever deride their companies in such public manners. That post is pure hyperbole.
I think that stuff is mostly reserved for media/journalism. You do see people working there going on Twitter to attack others. But most professional journalists would attack the piece or opinion, not the person, unless there is a good reason to do so. There is still a line. If someone literally calls people at other news organizations worthless, they better bring the ratings if they want to switch jobs to there.

Don't you think Microsoft has a competent enough HR team that can do thorough background checks before offering people jobs?. I mean the dudes forum name, which matches his XBL Gamertag is all over his portfolio, these posts weren't hard to find. They were probably scared that it would generate bad press now that the posts came to light.

He's applying to a videogame company. Not the CIA. I doubt most videogame companies would even bother to do a formal background check. They sure as hell aren't going to be digging into messageboard posts, lol.

Com_Raven

He's applying to a videogame company. Not the CIA. I doubt most videogame companies would even bother to do a formal background check. They sure as hell aren't going to be digging into messageboard posts, lol.

You, Sir or Madam, may be very surprised. Especially when it comes to any public facing roles.

Mindwipe

Are you trying to tell me that all the people who say 343 was wrong are working for American news networks? Cause I have a hard time believing this, quite frankly.

Not at all, but I think your assumption that everyone saying 343 is wrong is a teenager who's never had a job is completely off the mark too.

i also don't think that I - or any of the people I hired - have ever been on public record saying that everyone in the company we applied for should get fired. maybe that is normal everyday criticism to you from a prospective candidate, but I'd have to disagree.

It's not "normal everyday criticism", it's comparatively tame to anyone who works in film, television or news.

The ๖ۜBronx;250177601 said:
I feel like there's a difference between the type of criticism that is common within that, and how the criticism was presented by the person the thread is about. I completely understand your post, but feel it's not often that employers will instantly shrug off the way it was presented as that's also a large part of the consideration.

You want someone that can be critical but present it in a reasonable, mature fashion. I'm often referred to as the wrecking ball in meetings because I have no issue telling clients what's wrong with their situation, but understand that comes with the expectation to be able to justify it as well as deliver it in a manner that's befitting of a professional environment. Targetting the issue and not the people is also a massive part of that, and I would never tell a client (or reference publicly in that way) that their staff were worthless as a result of how I see the issue at hand.

My post literally referred to the fact in corporate media jobs you very frequently have to employ (and have to freelance every day) people who have literally called you and your workmates facists, nazis, incompetent, homophobic slurs, questioned your competence, inferred you are endemically inefficient, liars or any combination of the above frequently. Heck, sometimes you have to pay them to come on your productions and say those things about you.

Doc_Drop

My post literally referred to the fact in corporate media jobs you very frequently have to employ (and have to freelance every day) people who have literally called you and your workmates facists, nazis, incompetent, homophobic slurs, questioned your competence, inferred you are endemically inefficient, liars or any combination of the above frequently. Heck, sometimes you have to pay them to come on your productions and say those things about you.
.. yeah, that's pretty fucked up to be honest

The majority of people would not want to work in such a terrible environment. These are not very nice people

Gestault

This reads like a load of bollocks that's projection more than insight. I can't even follow the premise of some of this stuff. What the heck is wrong with you or the people around you?

Being a shitty person or saying bad things has consequences. I realize that many people think being a harsh asshole is just being "opinionated". It doesn't work like that. There are so many stupid things people have gotten in the habit of saying and no longer realize just how stupid those things are. Like "X company is idiotic and everyone should be fired". That's the go-to shitpost online. But to many people who are professionals and actually deal the realities, that one statement makes a person look incompetent - as if they couldn't be trusted to understand what it's like to do real work.

Exactly.

Mindwipe

This reads like a load of bollocks that's projection more than insight. I can't even follow the premise of some of this stuff. What the heck is wrong with you or the people around you?

If you work for any large broadcaster, newspaper or studio everyone has an opinion about what you do.

For the former, sometimes you're legally required to be impartial or to disregard background checking of this kind for impartiality purposes (the US may not have a fairness doctrine any more, but plenty of others do and they're much stronger than the US ever was).

Politicians are generally terrible people. Look at how many TV presenters and newspaper columnists have literally made a career out of professional trolling.

If you work for any large broadcaster, newspaper or studio everyone has an opinion about what you do.

For the former, sometimes you're legally required to be impartial or to disregard background checking of this kind for impartiality purposes (the US may not have a fairness doctrine any more, but plenty of others do and they're much stronger than the US ever was).

Politicians are generally terrible people. Look at how many TV presenters and newspaper columnists have literally made a career out of professional trolling.
You can't compare media or politics to most other jobs. They are very public facing and a lot of it is about opinions or topics people think differently about. This is not the same as attacking someone who is just working on a video game you happen not to like.

And even in media and politics, a lot of people would agree the current state is very toxic and unhealthy.

True Fire

Real life has consequences. People need to realize that when they step back from their online bubble and face reality.

Lock your Twitter. Delete your drunk pics. Don’t give people ammo to use against you.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It feels like now is a good time to mention that I have on more than one occasion killed freelance gigs after finding unprofessional stuff on the writers' public social media presence. I know of at least one instance of it preventing someone from getting a full time games journalism job.

Stay classy out there.

HonMirin

Not if your actions bring the company into disrepute. And/or said actions count as gross misconduct.

I see both sides here. If I was a boss and someone I was thinking about hiring was talking shit about my company, I would never have even given them the time of day. It also sucks because they had already offered the job and the candidate was making the appropriate cross-country arrangements and it was revoked after the fact. Crappy on both sides IMO.

blitz64

I moved from east coast to California for a job. I would have been devastated if I found out the job has been revoked. I was very very nervous if things will work out even after signing the paperwork. There is usually 1 month between signing the paperwork, quiting the job, and relocating to another state. I probably can go back to my previous job, even though it won't look good. I always leave on good terms and never burn any bridges.

I never knew a job like level design existed until now. A job similar to doing super mario maker or making levels in minecraft sounds awesome. I always thought these type of jobs can be done from home or anywhere in the US instead of moving to their headquarters. It would have been my dream job if I was in my 20s.

Some companies who revoke a job will give a bonus money package to the employee if it is the companies wrong doing. Similar to a layoff. I think all jobs are 'at will' jobs unless you are in a union. So someone working for google, facebook, microsoft, Those companies can fire anyone anytime. On the opposite side, an employee can leave anytime as well.

Trup1aya

Wow,

so allegedly, the day after hiring him, they called him about the controversial comments he made previously.

After a discussion with him they decided it wouldnt be an issue that they couldn't work through.

Then days later they rescinded the offer, presumably after the comments were brought back to the forefront in a Reddit post.

If this is truly how it went down...i have no words. What he said was mean. Cutting his legs out from under him after suggesting all is well...is evil.

brad-t

See lots of people still thinking this is just about one post, but that's the tip of the iceberg. They probably took the occasion to take a more thorough look at his posting history.

Looking through just that one forgehub thread, Multilockon said a lot of things:

"When I look at 343 forerunner I don't think alive, or dormant.

I think futuristic robo disco rave.

And then I want to vomit."

"Yes because suddenly their art style isn't **** because of some useless information in their shitty books. Stop using lore as a scapegoat, their art is garbage"

"Progressing to continue burying a dead franchise, yes. Have fun entering kill instinct level button combos to move around the map at a basic level."

"I've talked to so many people who do audio engineering and art for a living and they all told me that Halo 4 and 5 made them want to snap their own neck"

"Well that's the point. An art style is only as good as recognizable it is. I posted 4 tron pictures among the 343 ones and you can't even tell me which are which. Which tells us that 343 forerunner is just generic garbage."

Um, it wasn't over that post. He harassed and internet-stalked multiple Community Cartographers and insinuated some pretty horrible shit about them. He knew what was up because he deleted all his videos where he harassed the CCs constantly as soon as he got his job offer.

blackflag

Uhh most professional jobs do a background check. They have companies on retainer to do it for them and that includes social media sweeps. Not sure where you get your information from but it is fake news.

VeeP

The ๖ۜBronx;250166039 said:
Lol. Fucking mod team on GAF is trash. Their judgement makes me want to rip my face off sometimes and the administration don't deserve the position they have. Honestly, the direction of this forum is straight into the grave at the moment, with no sign of a pulse to change that. No idea what they're thinking, what a waste.
/s

Oh, hey, GhaleonEB and others - I've applied for the mod team and can't wait to help the forum alongside you all! Woo!
- -
It actually astounds me that people are arguing that 343i are in the wrong here. I can only assume (or hope) that they haven't actually worked in an office before.

Hey, they should totally hire you! I mean, your original statements were just hyperbolic right? It wasn't real life. It's the internet, EVERYONE exaggerates.

And it's a good thing your so angry! It means your passionate. When was the last time the NeoGAF mod team was praised? It's been a long time. Someone like you can really improve their image, help them get good PR, and do good modding!

/s

It's amazing to me people continue to defend this guy, by saying his comments were just typical exaggerated internet comments. I know it's hard to believe, but your statements online actually have consequences.

Wow,

so allegedly, the day after hiring him, they called him about the controversial comments he made previously.

After a discussion with him they decided it wouldnt be an issue that they couldn't work through.

Then days later they rescinded the offer, presumably after the comments were brought back to the forefront in a Reddit post.

If this is truly how it went down...i have no words. What he said was mean. Cutting his legs out from under him after suggesting all is well...is evil.

Yea, 343i should really hire a guy who made insulting comments towards their whole team, multiple times. If they don't do that, it's evil. /s

Did you ever think maybe, just maybe, if he didn't act like a jerk, he would have this job? That his direct actions led to this consequence?

Dude's in a bad situation, but he set himself up for it. I wouldn't hire him knowing his history and no one in a creative and collaborative team wants to work alongside someone like that because you cannot trust someone like that. His behavior is bad for morale.

Trup1aya

See lots of people still thinking this is just about one post, but that's the tip of the iceberg. They probably took the occasion to take a more thorough look at his posting history.

None of that is worse than the personal attack posted in the OP.

These are just immature, hyperbolic ways of saying he strongly dislikes the artwork... which is a common criticsm for 343s output.

If i had to guess, it IS the call for people to lose their jobs that cost him his.

Cranster

Banned
Wow,

Maybe they found more posts? But thats besides the point, he shouldn't have made those statements to begin with.

Trup1aya

Hey, they should totally hire you! I mean, your original statements were just hyperbolic right? It wasn't real life. It's the internet, EVERYONE exaggerates.

And it's a good thing your so angry! It means your passionate. When was the last time the NeoGAF mod team was praised? It's been a long time. Someone like you can really improve their image, help them get good PR, and do good modding!

/s

It's amazing to me people continue to defend this guy, by saying his comments were just typical exaggerated internet comments. I know it's hard to believe, but your statements online actually have consequences.

Yea, 343i should really hire a guy who made insulting comments towards their whole team, multiple times. If they don't do that, it's evil. /s

Did you ever think maybe, just maybe, if he didn't act like a jerk, he would have this job? That his direct actions led to this consequence?

I really don't think you read what i said.

The allegation is that they DID hire him knowing the comments he made. Told him it would be ok, then rescinded after he moved.

That's very different from simply not giving him the job.

Obviously, his actions lead to him not getting the job. But it's an unnecessary timeline that lead to him being homeless.

Pay attention before you try to patronize me

norm9

Not surprised people people defending the indefensible. The internet isnt shiny and new anymore and you cant expect no recourse for talking trash online.

Trup1aya

Maybe they found more posts? But thats besides the point, he shouldn't have made those statements to begin with.

Ofcourse he shouldn't have made those comments. Who is arguing that?

But you also shouldnt give someone the ok to uproot their lives, when it actually isnt ok.

I dont see how any of this is "besides the point". Did he deserve the job? No. Did he deserve to lose his life savings?

m23

But you also shouldnt give someone the ok to uproot their lives, when it actually isnt ok.

I dont see how any of this is "besides the point". Did he deserve the job? No. Did he deserve to lose his life savings?

Him losing his life savings is the fault of 343? He probably should have signed some paperwork before doing all that. Them rescinding the offer is very different from them firing him.

pelican

Not exactly true. It depends on the offer itself and conditions of employment.

Yeah, if the offer is unconditional then potentially you could take action against a breach of contract. Good luck though.

rav

First page has his letter and it states:
So whoever made the anonymous account on r/halo and posted screenshots of old posts, well...congrats!
Sounds like the order of events was after he got the offer and accepted they found out it was him that posted that stuff.
Studio Culture is a big deal, it's part of why I continue to work where I work, and honestly I'd be pretty cautious of hiring someone who has shit all over where I work.

Trup1aya

Him losing his life savings is the fault of 343? He probably should have signed some paperwork before doing all that. Them rescinding the offer is very different from them firing him.

Rescinding an offer after saying they are ok with moving past the comments is not a nice thing to do.

I'm not understand why this is a tough concept to grasp.

Yes the comments were bad. Yes, they had every right to pull the offer. But they shouldn't have said they were ok of they weren't actually ok.. that is all.

FyreWulff

per reddit

Gsf6lU3.png

made a quote edit telling a Halo pro to "Spartan charge him [Quinn] in real life" a 343 employee over an ability being in the game, from March of this year

Trup1aya

First page has his letter and it states:

Sounds like the order of events was after he got the offer and accepted they found out it was him that posted that stuff.
Studio Culture is a big deal, it's part of why I continue to work where I work, and honestly I'd be pretty cautious of hiring someone who has shit all over where I work.

they literally told me it wouldn't be an issue. The timeline went:

- I got hired

- I got a call the next day that they found some controversial posts but after a short talk we concluded it wouldn't be an issue. I even was emailed directly after the call and was told that I'm fine.

- several days later the agency told me 343 revoked the offer.

The guy made himself pretty unhirable with those comments. No question.

But telling him it is ok, if wasn't actually ok... isn't cool.

He doesn't blame 343 for any of this. And he shouldn't. He sowed the seeds. I'm just saying that timeline is fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom