• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Rescinds Job Offer to Halo Community Member Over Forum Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelican

I can't help but feel this guy should have either quietly accepted this, or invoked legal action.

The important bit is quietly.

I can't help but feel this publicity, highlighting is previous behaviour is going to do him zero favours in securing another position within the industry.

I have to admit, I'd think twice about employing someone with this baggage.

I can't help but feel this guy should have either quietly accepted this, or invoked legal action.

I can't help but feel this publicity, highlighting is previous behaviour is going to do him zero favours in securing another position within the industry.

Legal action ha. How much more in the hole do you want this guy to be. You know Microsoft and 343 left no guarantees in their contract.

I really don't think you read what i said.

The allegation is that they DID hire him knowing the comments he made. Told him it would be ok, then rescinded after he moved.

That's very different from simply not giving him the job.

Obviously, his actions lead to him not getting the job. But it's an unnecessary timeline that lead to him being homeless.

Pay attention before you try to patronize me
Where are you reading this? Because to me it seems they only found out the posts afterwards. Or at least, the person making the decision to hire - and now let him go again - found out after.

jmizzal

Its not even an old post, he wrote it this year, so it wasnt some digging into his past.

If I owned a company, I wouldnt want to hire somebody who bad mouth my company and employees

Peltz

What legal action could he take? Unless he had a contract that specifies otherwise, he's an employee at will.

ElNino

He doesn't blame 343 for any of this. And he shouldn't. He sowed the seeds. I'm just saying that timeline is fucked up.
If that's all the there was for the timeline, then maybe, but I get the impression that additional background info came to light afterwards.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Who told him that the posts were ok - Microsoft or the agency?

jem0208

Where are you reading this? Because to me it seems they only found out the posts afterwards. Or at least, the person making the decision to hire - and now let him go again - found out after.

Http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-5810

Don't read the rest of that page if you're allergic to cancer (I would link directly to the post but I'm on mobile...).

The timeline went

- I got hired

- I got a call the next day that they found some controversial posts but after a short talk we concluded it wouldn't be an issue. I even was emailed directly after the call and was told that I'm fine.

- several days later the agency told me 343 revoked the offer

rav

The guy made himself pretty unhirable with those comments. No question.

But telling him it is ok, if wasn't actually ok... isn't cool.

He doesn't blame 343 for any of this. And he shouldn't. He sowed the seeds. I'm just saying that timeline is fucked up.

Gotcha.

I could see that if the people working at 343 pushed back after it hit wider circulation it could have definitely impacted his offer. Even if 'HR' had said it's fine, if hiring him was going to cause big problems in the studio, I would totally understand rescinding the offer. [There is plenty of the timeline of events that we don't know nor probably will know.]

Does it suck for him? totally. Hopefully the lesson is learned.

blackflag

Who told him that the posts were ok - Microsoft or the agency?

Based on the timeline he posted, I would suspect that the agency told him that. I hire contractors and I rarely talk to them directly about any of this until after they are actively working for me.

Kalentan

He's gonna regret this shit for the rest of his life, damn.

Well he claims he got emails from various Triple AAA studios the morning after this. So at least he's not completely out of luck.

Still, 343i themselves dodged a bullet. Who would want to work with a guy who deep down believes no one there deserves a job.

Whoo boy, if even after being talked to about it and barely getting his dream job because of it he still left it up to be thrown in his face that is some monumentally stupid internetting. Can't really blame 343 for him making it impossible to work with them especially if they tried to understand/move past the awful things he was posting about them. I never would have let that stuff go even if most people in the office hadn't ever seen it before it blew up.

Not to mention hiring someone with such a poor handle on internet usage is just asking for more PR nightmares.

Briarios

Well he claims he got emails from various Triple AAA studios the morning after this. So at least he's not completely out of luck.

Still, 343i themselves dodged a bullet. Who would want to work with a guy who deep down believes no one there deserves a job.

... Do you honestly believe that he deep down believes that or that he was simply venting and spewing shit like people do every single day. This isn't a defense of what he did, but I'm also not going to make an assumption about something like that.

Http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-5810

Don't read the rest of that page if you're allergic to cancer (I would link directly to the post but I'm on mobile...).
I see. It still leaves a lot of questions open. Did the agency tell him it was OK, or did 343? And did they guy actually approving it in the end? Makes it a little worse for him, since he thought it was all OK. But in the end, he still made the comments and that is on him of course.

... Do you honestly believe that he deep down believes that or that he was simply venting and spewing shit like people do every single day. This isn't a defense of what he did, but I'm also not going to make an assumption about something like that.
We can only go on his words and actions. Which tell this. If I see someone insulting me I don't go "well, he might be a nice guy just venting his frustration." And even then, I wouldn't think someone thinking it is OK to vent like that is a person I want to hire. Apparently this guy worked at Treyarch, a large studio working on one of the largest video game brands around. And he still thought it OK to post things like this about others in his industry. That is just unprofessional as hell.

calavera_jo

Neo Member

They dodged a bullet they shot at themselves! They knew about the comments and told him it would be ok

Based on the latest update, he got 4 offers from different companies. Good to see his talents will be utilized.
Yeah, if he is good at level design then he is good at level design, no changing that. It's also understandable that 343 just wouldnt want him on their team anymore.

Kalentan

You also can't make the assumption that it's just venting. Otherwise you could excuse any shit people say online as just venting. It comes across as not wanting to deal with the consequences of your words online.

It would be like me shitposting about Bungie and Infinity Ward and other studios and having my offer rescinded because of my posts. I can't just say, I was just venting! I didn't REALLY mean it.

They dodged a bullet they shot at themselves! They knew about the comments and told him it would be ok

Odds are the person who thought they were OK and the person who were actually in the hiring process didn't see it the same way.

I mean seriously, would you want to work with a guy who went online and said you didn't deserve your job? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Cranster

Banned
You also can't make the assumption that it's just venting. Otherwise you could excuse any shit people say online as just venting. It comes across as not wanting to deal with the consequences of your words online.

It would be like me shitposting about Bungie and Infinity Ward and other studios and having my offer rescinded because of my posts. I can't just say, I was just venting! I didn't REALLY mean it.

Odds are the person who thought they were OK and the person who were actually in the hiring process didn't see it the same way.

Let alone looking at the TeamBeyond forum posts that whole community is just a cesspool of toxic posters.

So, I read the date the post in question was written in. I'd be a bit more sympathetic to MultiLockOn if the posts were made (for example) around the launch of the Master Chief Collection, but three months ago? Totally understand why 343 got cold feet here.

Nheco

Even if he's an asshole, a company simply can't deny responsibility when someone quits a job a sell it's house because your job offer. To put it simply, 343 hugely fucked this guy: if he has a family to feed, it's even worst. It's mind blowing to me how some people here are eager to blame someone for internet comments to a point that's ok to fuck someone's life to such degree.

So yes, he totally should sue.

wwm0nkey

Even if he's an asshole, a company simply can't deny responsibility when someone quits a job a sell it's house because your job offer. To put it simply, 343 hugely fucked this guy: if he has a family to feed, it's even worst. It's mind blowing to me how some people here are eager to blame someone for internet comments to a point that's ok to fuck someone's life to such degree.

Was it clear if it was the agency who said it was okay or 343?

Sue for what? Even in places with stringent laws regarding layoff, those only come into play after a probation period of several months usually.

What?

Are you American?

Nheco

Was it clear if it was the agency who said it was okay or 343?

Man, even so. If it was the agency, it was acting on 343 behalf. Again, maybe he's an asshole, I don't know for sure... but man, being unemployed, unless you live with your parents (wich I think wasn't his case, since he sold his home) it's something I don't want for anyone, except some monster criminal scum of sorts.

Nheco

Sue for what? Even in places with stringent laws regarding layoff, those only come into play after a probation period of several months usually.

Just my opinion (IANAL), but I think companies have social responsibilities in such cases. Do a better due diligence on your candidates, ffs. You can't change your mind after someone quits his job and sell it's house.

What?

Are you American?

Nope.

Cranster

Banned
Man, even so. If it was the agency, it was acting on 343 behalf. Again, maybe he's an asshole, I don't know for sure... but man, being unemployed, unless you live with your parents (wich I think wasn't his case, since he sold his home) it's something I don't want for anyone, except some monster criminal scum of sorts.
Still not 343i's problem or fault though.

Just my opinion, but I think companies have social responsibilities in such cases. Do a better due diligence on your candidates, ffs. You can't change you mind after someone quits his job and sell it's house.

Candidates should check themselves before they wreck themselves

wwm0nkey

So, the guy everyone said was unhireable got four offers from other AAA studios:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/1...ms-seeds-and-discussion‏/page-298#entry986773

Is this a NeoGAF record for number of people in a thread being wrong?
No one said he was unhireable, but that it could hardly be expected of 343i to want him on their team. The risk would be too high that there would be friction with the existing staff. This isnt the case with a different company, so its no wonder someone with his apparent skillset would be hired someplace else (and good for him)

If they told him he's hired and can move, and he did, he is entitled to the cost of the move and money lost in that time.

If it were me I would have reimbursed him in some appropriate way and let him know the decision to employ him is rescinded.

m23

Sue for what? You realize they could have fired him even after they hired him right? Many jobs have a probationary period where the employer can fire an employee without cause.

It's tough but this is life.

Hulud

This guy fucked up royally. Good on 343 for doing their research before hiring him. Being a toxic asshole online has consequences, bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom