• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 HD DVD Player commercial

:D Fun commercial, I'll wait for the reviews on the drive before I plunge though. 200 bucks is something I gotta be pretty sure about before I spend it!!

bill0527

Alcibiades said:
watched it a second time and noticed how HUGE the remote controller was

:lol

Just did a side-by-side pic with my Sony A/V remote. I was thinking the Xbox universal remote was bigger, but its actually the same size, maybe just a tad bit wider.

DSC02739.jpg

Oh.. and this is tops on my X-mas list.

My Christmay Day plans consist of a triple feature of King Kong, Batman Begins, and Superman Returns all in full HD-DVD glory (well.. at least 1080i glory because that's all my TV supports).

eLGee

xir said:
obligatory HD-DVD Xbox 360 walkthrough from xo6
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13888&type=wmv

Pfft, what a dumbass. His biggest complaint against Blu-ray is the codec, which has since been replaced by the same codec used by HD-DVD. Way to stay informed, dumbass.

- Will we never see multi-disc Xbox 360 games?
- Well, umm... it's a difficult question to ask, and a difficult question to answer...

NO IT ISN'T!

"Technology is a wonderful thing."
It sure is.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
eLGee said:
Pfft, what a dumbass. His biggest complaint against Blu-ray is the codec, which has since been replaced by the same codec used by HD-DVD. Way to stay informed, dumbass.

To be fair, the new Blu Ray codec(s) doesn't magically fix IQ on the first batch of discs.

I imagine both formats will be updating codecs ongoing, I just hope they don't make that aspect as confusing for consumers as the current status is.

eLGee

Stinkles said:
To be fair, the new Blu Ray codec(s) doesn't magically fix IQ on the first batch of discs.

I imagine both formats will be updating codecs ongoing, I just hope they don't make that aspect as confusing for consumers as the current status is.

Fair enough. Also, I'm not sure when this video was produced, it might've been before it was known that Blu-ray would be supporting the same codec. If not, shame on him.

sangreal

eLGee said:
Fair enough. Also, I'm not sure when this video was produced, it might've been before it was known that Blu-ray would be supporting the same codec. If not, shame on him.

There has been no change in the codecs supported by either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. They both support the same codecs for HD video: MPEG-2, VC-1 and MPEG-4/AVC. They have both supported these codecs for quite some time (long before either launched)

Kolgar

OK, that was well done.

It's not easy to convey "six times better" on a standard TV screen, but this little skit makes the point nicely.

Bravo.

I'm willing to blame myself for being tragically un-hip, but I just don't understand 360 advertising. I thought the jumping rope and water balloon commercials were terrible, the imaginary gunfight commercial was too violent, and this does very little to illustrate the advantages of HD-DVD over DVD. Sure, it's got six times more electric boogaloo, but I can't imagine the videophiles who are most likely the early-adopter demographic for the add-on really care about that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
sangreal said:
There has been no change in the codecs supported by either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. They both support the same codecs for HD video: MPEG-2, VC-1 and MPEG-4/AVC. They have both supported these codecs for quite some time (long before either launched)

I believe everyone involved here is talking about which codecs were encoded on early disc releases.

Kolgar said:
OK, that was well done.

It's not easy to convey "six times better" on a standard TV screen, but this little skit makes the point nicely.

Bravo.
For people watching that commercial on a standard TV screen, HD-DVD isn't going to be six times better. There are also very few people who are going to be getting six times the resolution, which to most people's eyes probably wouldn't work out to "six times better" anyway.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
DenogginizerOS said:
I will be buying an HD-DVD player for my X360. This commercial has NOTHING to do with that decision.

Same.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
its like they have been surfing GAF. "6 times the wow" is tailor made to be a GAF catchphrase / insult :lol

I want one but this will mean making even more room in my entertainment space. Where the hell am I going to put this thing? Xbox 360+HD-DVD, Wii, PS3 and Region free Prog Scan DVD player.

GreekWolf

Cool commerical but silly product. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows that HD-DVD will either be dead in three years, or else resigned as a niche product.

PS3 will have at least five million (and that's a conservative estimate) Blu-Ray players in homes by holiday 2007, which means that they automatically win.

Initially, I was a huge supporter of HD-DVD, especially when early reviews were so positive... but the codec problem has been resolved in the Blu-Ray camp and the picture/sound quality are equal now. Toss in the added bonus of BD50 and the war's over.

Jasoco

Banned
Wait.. did he say we need to use the VGA connection to play these movies? He said "VGA connection for games and movies, Component connection for games." Can we not just have it hooked to component and play the movies? WTF is that?

I just want to go HD on the movie front and I just wish this damn war would end. Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, who cares, merge the two and get it over with. I just want to go HD. Where's my $100 Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players already?! :lol

Mrbob

Jasoco said:
Wait.. did he say we need to use the VGA connection to play these movies? He said "VGA connection for games and movies, Component connection for games." Can we not just have it hooked to component and play the movies? WTF is that?

I just want to go HD on the movie front and I just wish this damn war would end. Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, who cares, merge the two and get it over with. I just want to go HD. Where's my $100 Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players already?! :lol

You can't get 1080P out of component setting for movies. It is technically feasible, but there are regulations against making it a reality.

Hdmi is needed for 1080P movies.

This add on is cool for existing owners, but every time I think about buying one I realize I can get a PS3 for a couple hundred bucks more. Too bad the Weinstein Company is HD DVD only, as I want HD movies they produce.

wasting

Banned
Jasoco said:

He said that for 1080p..

you can watch hd-dvds over component upto 1080i

JB1981

Mrbob said:
You can't get 1080P out of component setting for movies. It is technically feasible, but there are regulations against making it a reality.

Hdmi is needed for 1080P movies.

This add on is cool for existing owners, but every time I think about buying one I realize I can get a PS3 for a couple hundred bucks more. Too bad the Weinstein Company is HD DVD only, as I want HD movies they produce.

VGA workaround with the add-on. Also, I defy anyone to tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i on a 1080p set. DEFY!

bill0527

JB1981 said:
VGA workaround with the add-on. Also, I defy anyone to tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i on a 1080p set. DEFY!

I was about to point this out.

If you've got a 1080p TV, the max you can get out of the HD-DVD add-on for HD movies over component is 1080i, BUT your 1080p TV should scale your 1080i movie to 1080p with no noticeable difference.

bill0527

armubaba said:
I know, I know this is a n00b question- but can the HDDVD player upconvert normal DVDs over component?

No, it can't. Upconverting DVDs over component is against AACS rules I believe. I've seen a few black market DVD players that will upscale DVD to HD resolutions over component, but I don't know how good they are. Every major manufacturer that sells upscaling DVD players has it HDMI-only because of the rules.

The only way to get upscaling over the 360 is for a VGA connection.

armubaba

As if you needed more proof that Microsoft's adoption of high definition HD-DVD is little more than a strategic move to limit Blu-ray's potential sphere of influence, Microsoft's 1080p software upgrade will also remove some of the value of their upcoming HD-DVD add-on by upscaling your existing DVD movies to HD resolutions, including 1080p.

That's from Joystiq. http://tinyurl.com/mkdjl

So are you saying that this will only happen over VGA? Once again, sorry for the n00bish questions. :p

Kolgar

Chris Remo said:
For people watching that commercial on a standard TV screen, HD-DVD isn't going to be six times better. There are also very few people who are going to be getting six times the resolution, which to most people's eyes probably wouldn't work out to "six times better" anyway.

I'm just sayin', it's not an easy concept to convey to an audience who's viewing your commercial on SD televisions.

And sure, I don't expect my grandpa to get it, but the execution is imaginative. I like the way it approaches the problem and I still like the idea overall - despite the fact that I could give a shit about all that topsy-turvy urban dance shit. :)

Mrbob

armubaba said:
As if you needed more proof that Microsoft's adoption of high definition HD-DVD is little more than a strategic move to limit Blu-ray's potential sphere of influence, Microsoft's 1080p software upgrade will also remove some of the value of their upcoming HD-DVD add-on by upscaling your existing DVD movies to HD resolutions, including 1080p.

That's from Joystiq. http://tinyurl.com/mkdjl

So are you saying that this will only happen over VGA? Once again, sorry for the n00bish questions. :p

X360 already upscales DVD movies to 720P/1080i with a VGA cable.

REV 09

it's energetic and memorable while getting the point across. i like it. I've liked mostly all of MS's 360 ads.

Last Hope

This is horrible. I thought I was watching a cheerleader competition.

The ending where they show the product is fine but the breakdancing is not.

hgplayer1

I really hadnt thought about getting the HD-DVD drive until today.

I recently upgraded my TV to a Sony 46" LCD and watching movies off the 360 is kinda bleh which made me start thinking about getting a stand alone DVD player that will upconvert. that means getting an HDMI cable. why are those things so damn expensive anyway?

so for the price of a good DVD player and an HDMI cable it would add up to the HD-DVD drive. the picture of an HD-DVD over component on a 720p set should be greater than a standard DVD upconverted shouldnt it?

Im still gonna wait for reviews and to see where the library stands once Im ready to buy but it seems like a good option for me unless somehow a PS3 enters my purchasing plans for the near future.

Top Bottom