• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

surly

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Guessing we'll have to wait for impressions until after the show is over, and I'm not sure if the people at the event have the new 360 already or if it's being shipped to their offices, but has anyone who got one commented on how quiet it really is yet?
Computer & Video Games have a review of it up already: -

With no disc in the tray this console is absolutely silent - the single larger fan that replaces the multiple fans of the old noisy console clearly doing the trick in the decibel-trimming department.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=251381

They only downside they mention is that it's a bit of a fingerprint magnet.

big_z

i got my 360 replaced about a month ago due to red ring. my replacement has massive trouble reading discs so i've been waiting for this slim 360 instead of dealing with microsoft again.

question is can i move my stuff over to a new system again? when i got my replacement i had to go to xbox.com to transfer over my game licenses so they would play offline and there was a message saying you can only do this once every 12 months.

Prosper

Neo Member
big_z said:
i got my 360 replaced about a month ago due to red ring. my replacement has massive trouble reading discs so i've been waiting for this slim 360 instead of dealing with microsoft again.

question is can i move my stuff over to a new system again? when i got my replacement i had to go to xbox.com to transfer over my game licenses so they would play offline and there was a message saying you can only do this once every 12 months.

This is the exact reason I'm not upgrading, I've had a replacement console about 5 months ago that I transferred my licenses over to, gotta wait another 7 months before I can consider upgrading now.

Kujo

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Just shove the brick behind the 360 on the same shelf? Vent's on the side/top so it won't hurt a thing.
No room for it on the 360 shelf. It could sit ontop of the 360 itself but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

The only thing that has me interested is the lack of noise from the new model. My current Elite uses those loudass DC Brushless fans.

big_z said:

Nope, I did this recently too. You have to wait the whole year, unless you just stay logged in to Live while playing on the new console.

Spike

TAJ said:
They're not calling it a "Slim" Even the PS3 "Slim" isn't actually called that by Sony.

"Xbox 360 S Console"

nwlxjm.jpg

Fox Mulder

Prosper said:
This is the exact reason I'm not upgrading, I've had a replacement console about 5 months ago that I transferred my licenses over to, gotta wait another 7 months before I can consider upgrading now.

while I have constant internet connection, it's just a pain in the ass if I want to take my 360 over to a friends house. MS could at least offer a one time advance on the 1 year bullshit for an upgrade to a slim model.

big_z

Mojo said:
Nope, I did this recently too. You have to wait the whole year, unless you just stay logged in to Live while playing on the new console.

lame. has anyone tried calling them and asking if they would remove the timer for you?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ya know, after looking at the design for a day now it's really starting to grow on me. Really nice throwback to the old xbox design while keeping the 360 DNA.

I'll be getting one as my launch 360 is on it's last legs and sounds like a 747 taking off :lol

LQX

I can understand this guy bitching about how shiny it is and such but bitching about the fact its smaller...not small enough? Really? Wow. The design and features is practically better in every way and cost the same along with a price drop for current models. There really should be not be any bitching feature wise. If you want to watch Blu-ray movies stick to your PS3 or buy one.

big_z said:
lame. has anyone tried calling them and asking if they would remove the timer for you?

I have and my best friend has too. Just call them and tell them you bought a new system and they can reset the timer for you. MS keeps track of all units sold so they will know it's a new one. You may have to wait a day... but you can do it. I did it myself.

big_z

OldJadedGamer said:
I have and my best friend has too. Just call them and tell them you bought a new system and they can reset the timer for you. MS keeps track of all units sold so they will know it's a new one. You may have to wait a day... but you can do it. I did it myself.

alright good, slim60 will be mine.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Isn't the empty shell just a fake model?

yeah, it's only the vertical measurement that makes it look still kinda big.
It's "taller"than the PS3 Slim, even though it's x and y are shorter if those measurements above are correct.

jizzlobber said:
ps3 slim is about 290 x 65 x 290 yeah?
this is 270 x 75 x 264
PS3 dimensions look right, where did you see the dimensions for the new 360?

Not bad though. 2cm smaller than the PS3 in width / depth and 1cm taller in height (horizontal).

Kibbles

JardeL said:
That's HUGE for a slim.
It was never billed as a slim, that's just GAF talking. They are just calling it a redesign. It is smaller, but it's not a SLIM like PS2 Slim.

Is there any way I could get rid of my current XBox and get this with as little money spent as possible. I could spend like $100 or so extra to get it.

Rainier said:
Weird how the slim60 looks the same thickness in this shot:
mlt6rt.jpg

But thinner in this one:
4ghi8h.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, going by the dimension comparison and even the gamespot unbox video I don't see how it han fit inside a "phot/loud" shell.

maybe the one they showed wasn't legit

jizzlobber said:
I was thinking the same thing, going by the dimension comparison and even the gamespot unbox video I don't see how it han fit inside a "phot/loud" shell.
Based on the numbers, I'd bet that the shell was legit... but that it didn't have a back on it. (New 360 is deeper than the old one)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
seeing more photos , there is no way I use the slim horizontally ,in one photo of the air vents you can see what inside the damn thing , dust ( and many other stuff ) will fuck the shit out of it.

seriously who thought huge air vents on the side are good idea ?

jizzlobber said:

maybe the one they showed wasn't legit

well that "shell" is clearly bigger than normal old Xbox 360.

Does anyone else think this new Xbox sends out confusing messages to the customers they are aiming at now?

The new machine looks really impressive, but its black, shiny and very techy looking. Do you not think they should have gone for a softer looking machine because they aiming this to fit in with Kinect which as we all know is for the casual market. Nintendo struck gold making the Wii really slick looking, but also very appealing to the eye (the female eye, especially). Its small, white, cute and very pleasing to look at.

Look at the MS conference and they have women everywhere playing the games so they are clearly looking at that market (which is fine), but then they design the new Xbox to be appealing to men.

It doesn't make any sense.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
KennyLinder said:
Does anyone else this new Xbox sends out confusing messages to the customers they are aiming at now?

The new machine looks really impressive, but its black, shiny and very techy looking. Do you not think they should have gone for a softer looking machine because they aiming this to fit in with Kinect which as we all know is for the casual market. Nintendo struck gold making the Wii really slick looking, but also very appealing to the eye (the female eye, especially). Its small, white, cute and very pleasing to look at.

Look at the MS conference and they have women everywhere playing the games so they are clearly looking at that market (which is fine), but then they design the new Xbox to be appealing to men.

I think it's smart move actually.

Sony used to has the Superior tetchy looking system with old PS3 but they failed to market it.

this Xbox 360 S is filled with stuff tonz of USBs , touch buttons ..ect , if they market it right they can sell as the best gaming and media center around ( Sony failed at that with Phat PS3).

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
KennyLinder said:
Does anyone else think this new Xbox sends out confusing messages to the customers they are aiming at now?

Yes, that's why the design is a failure in that regard.

The main purpose for new X360 is to leave RRoD behind. You can:

1. Try to convince pappa Joe that they have all these Jaspers, Zephyrs, 10nm, 15nm, bla bla bla so the console is safe.

2. Make a new console - "it's a new look, so they must have improved something, right?"

Feature-wise the console still fails short to PS3 - no Blu-Ray, HDD will be most likely Microsoft-branded only, etc.

I like it, but it's a bit sad that the vents are its most striking design feature.

EDIT: Nah, I take that back... it just doesn't look good horizontally. Overall, a very nice improvement on the original design.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Castor Krieg said:
no Blu-Ray, HDD will be most likely Microsoft-branded only, etc.

that was a missed opportunity imo. ( seeing how most of new movies are Blu-ray-DVD combo these days ) and I don't think it will costs them much anyway.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
For the sake of their own good, I hope they don't assume wifi is worth 100$ to the consumer just because they've been reaping that in blackmail money over all these years.

If this stays at 299$, it's dead. Fuckin' dead.

Top Bottom