• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

JardeL said:
[ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21859967&postcount=1006 ]

"Xbox 360 S Console". So, what does S refer to? Shiny?
On the old xbox controller S it stands for "small" so you could call this the xbox 360 small.
Bitmap Frogs said:
For the sake of their own good, I hope they don't assume wifi is worth 100$ to the consumer just because they've been reaping that in blackmail money over all these years.

If this stays at 299$, it's dead. Fuckin' dead.
It's replaced the expensive elite version, far from dead if elites still sell to customers.

Their N adapter sells for something like £89 in the uk so yeah they do think wifi is expensive

Withnail

Bitmap Frogs said:
For the sake of their own good, I hope they don't assume wifi is worth 100$ to the consumer just because they've been reaping that in blackmail money over all these years.

Are you saying you don't think there are millions of potential 360 buyers who were waiting for Wi-fi and a glossy finish? :D

KennyLinder said:
Does anyone else think this new Xbox sends out confusing messages to the customers they are aiming at now?

The new machine looks really impressive, but its black, shiny and very techy looking. Do you not think they should have gone for a softer looking machine because they aiming this to fit in with Kinect which as we all know is for the casual market. Nintendo struck gold making the Wii really slick looking, but also very appealing to the eye (the female eye, especially). Its small, white, cute and very pleasing to look at.

Look at the MS conference and they have women everywhere playing the games so they are clearly looking at that market (which is fine), but then they design the new Xbox to be appealing to men.

It doesn't make any sense.

fully agree.... the new machine is nice... but looks 100% hardcore

schizophrenic messaging from MS

DeVeAn

I like the thing but you can get the other console for the same price with blu ray. I wonder why they are keeping it $299.99?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Bitmap Frogs said:

It's not like the current $299 Elite is doing badly, last we heard it was the higher selling SKU.

Why would adding features suddenly put people off?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
KTOOOOM said:
No idea what it's like world wide. But NPD analysis occasionally contain average SKU price, where it has been closer to 300 than 200. Don't really want to go looking through NPD threads to find the source though..

Rat Salad

Banned
DeVeAn said:
I like the thing but you can get the other console for the same price with blu ray. I wonder why they are keeping it $299.99?

Theyre ina better position than Sony is,thats why.
Microsoft call their own shots,Sony reacts to what their competitors now do. PSN is a prime example. They always react and eventually get things later after its been done with Live for awhile. Also-Microsoft are making money,Sony is just now starting to(if they even aremwho knows?).

Microsoft have more marketshare,Sony doesn't.
The slim has been a longtime coming and besides BR,the 360 pretty much took allot of bullet points away from the PS3.

Its why they can keep it at $299.00 The new look + their Wiimote knockoff bring a new feel,though not very original to the 360. It paints a new an expanding and somewhat new image.

If Gamespot's right saying a new slim will replace the Arcade at $200, then I'm all over that.

I have an original "Pro" with no HDMI, I use VGA for HD :/ and it's loud and dying. It still works though, so for $300 I'll stick it out. For $200, I'll see if it blends for fun and buy a new slim that day.

i might finally bite on the 360, around christmas, after i hear some reliability reports. it helps that it might drop price again if i buy it without kinect.:D
i don't like the new look at all, but reliability is more important.

nib95

Banned
Looks like a tacky Alienware gaming mini PC or something. That said, I may still get one if it's quieter and runs cooler. Sell my old one along with the WiFi adapter off.

Any detailed dissection of the new hardware yet?

Flek said:
i would buy it if some could assure me there wont be rrods anymore
All I can say is that the chips are now 45nm, the fan is on top of them instead of at the back of the case, it's a completely revised and smaller motherboard (so no more x-clamp problems?)

manzo

I wonder how the HDD is being handled on this one. I really do hope that it's self-serviceable. Knowing MS it won't be, but... :(

Aspiring

Sorry i asked this in the other thread and will here as well. I just pre-ordered one of these babies and was wondering what will we have to do to transfer our saves and arcade games over? I do NOT want to always be connected to LIVE to play and was wondering what MS will do about this?

Also, with the wireless, does it support the other types? Whatever my PS3 uses? As i would love to just use it wireless like my PS3.

KTOOOOM

Banned
user_nat said:
No idea what it's like world wide. But NPD analysis occasionally contain average SKU price, where it has been closer to 300 than 200. Don't really want to go looking through NPD threads to find the source though..
i heard the arcade is the most selling SKU not elite

manzo

Aspiring said:
Sorry i asked this in the other thread and will here as well. I just pre-ordered one of these babies and was wondering what will we have to do to transfer our saves and arcade games over? I do NOT want to always be connected to LIVE to play and was wondering what MS will do about this?

Also, with the wireless, does it support the other types? Whatever my PS3 uses? As i would love to just use it wireless like my PS3.

There is a transfer tool at Microsoft's page. After the transfer, you will need to re-download the XBLA downloads. After that, you don't have to be connected to live to play the XBLA games.

It supports Wireless B, G and N.

Aspiring

manzo said:
There is a transfer tool at Microsoft's page. After the transfer, you will need to re-download the XBLA downloads. After that, you don't have to be connected to live to play the XBLA games.

Thank you so much! Glad it supports more wireless types! Also where is this transfer tool at MS's page? Does it cost money? If so i may have to ring them and tell them i have purchased a new one so i get it for free!

Falt

I just replaced my launch 360 3 weeks ago with the Final Fantasy XIII White Elite 250gb package (2 wireless controllers and a copy of FF XIII included). Picked it up for €230.

3 weeks ago. God damn.

Bar the "whisper quiet" promise the slim doesn't offer me anything I don't already have so, yeah... nuts.

Zalasta

I like it, but I refuse to pay full price for another 360. A lot of these supposedly "new features" are common sense that should've came with the original model. Let's see how many suckers will get it even though they have a working one already.

Aspiring

Zalasta said:
I like it, but I refuse to pay full price for another 360. A lot of these supposedly "new features" are common sense that should've came with the original model. Let's see how many suckers will get it even though they have a working one already.

:lol +1

Although mine is a 2005 model, and lately it has been freezing, although that just might be RDR. I got it fixed a few months back from RRD but you never can trust the real old models y'know.

manzo

Aspiring said:
Thank you so much! Glad it supports more wireless types! Also where is this transfer tool at MS's page? Does it cost money? If so i may have to ring them and tell them i have purchased a new one so i get it for free!

Here.

It's free. You can do it once per year though.

Myself, I have a perfectly fine Falcon PAL 360. However, my Japanese model is a launch 2005 core model, I will replace it with a slim model once it dies.

Aspiring

manzo said:
Here.

It's free. You can do it once per year though.

Myself, I have a perfectly fine Falcon PAL 360. However, my Japanese model is a launch 2005 core model, I will replace it with a slim model once it dies.

Your the best, thank you so much! Will do once it arrives.

kazuma_pt said:
i might finally bite on the 360, around christmas, after i hear some reliability reports. it helps that it might drop price again if i buy it without kinect.:D
i don't like the new look at all, but reliability is more important.
Jasper is already very reliable.

Why the price isn't $200 is beyond me. There are a lot of suckers out there who just buy whatever is brand new so after that crowd dries up and they lower the price to $200, I will probably get one than.

szaromir

Banned
Annihilator said:
Why the price isn't $200 is beyond me. There are a lot of suckers out there who just buy whatever is brand new so after that crowd dries up and they lower the price to $200, I will probably get one than.
They need to clear the retail channels from older 360s.

They are smart. MS plays it smart.

You have a redesign. You are selling the same thing under a new name and a new box. The Price cut is something they can save for later. To Counter something Sony comes up with.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Annihilator said:

So they should have a starting price of $200, and then lower the price to.. $200.

You're a marketing genius, paging Microsoft to make them hire you.

FrankT

Think I'm going to try to pick mine up in store this week if possible rather than go Amazon. Although I'd save a bit more that way they say they are OOS atm.

onipex

Vigilant Walrus said:
They are smart. MS plays it smart.

You have a redesign. You are selling the same thing under a new name and a new box. The Price cut is something they can save for later. To Counter something Sony comes up with.

I agree, and the slim is the only thing they showed that will boast 360 sales as people upgrade.

Degen

Annihilator said:
I'll be in this boat for sure. Who knows? They might make some internal upgrades by then, too.

There is no way in hell that people could ever think that the PS3 Slim is small.

EDIT: And please stop calling this a 360 slim. Don't know why people even came up with that in the first place. At least the PS3 "slim" was always going to be a slimmer version. The 360 250GB is touted as being a redesign with some internal changes. They aren't really screaming about the size here.

manzo said:

Thanks! I'll probably pick one up in the coming months, just for peace of mind from the rrod. I hate worrying "is this is the day my xbox will die?"

...maybe I'll monitor the early adopters first.

AndyMoogle said:
There is no way in hell that people could ever think that the PS3 Slim is small.

EDIT: And please stop calling this a 360 slim. Don't know why people even came up with that in the first place. At least the PS3 "slim" was always going to be a slimmer version. The 360 250GB is touted as being a redesign with some internal changes. They aren't really screaming about the size here.

So the only name to call it is the Xbox 360 Elite?

Im really pushing for some price drop in the fall, $50 M$

mujun

Rat Salad said:
Microsoft have more marketshare,Sony doesn't.

Which they seem to be losing at a pretty fast rate at the moment.

Personally, I think they should try to get the price down. If Sony gets too far ahead the 360 might stall big time sales wise. They certainly seem outgunned everywhere except for North America.

Top Bottom