• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

StranGER

vatstep said:
MS is gonna be LOVING you guys who are trading in your old units for another that will essentially do the exact same thing. I'm not really one to judge, since I spend with abandon, but I just have no interest in getting a new 360. Maybe it's because my Elite runs like a champ and already pretty much sounds "whisper quiet" to me unless I'm playing a game from a DVD (which is never).

Although, if your old 360 is looking like it's on its last legs, it's probably a good time to "take the money and run" and upgrade, if you know what I mean.

are they taking in dead rrod units on the trade? wouldn't that be nice?

LiK

SquirrelNuckle said:
I don't think the price is bad at all for what you're getting. People forget that a XBOX wireless router used to run $100. $300 seems right for the new 360.
That's how MS gets you. :p

What kind of hard drive does it have? I know that it is swappable but can we upgrade it? The case seems to be different than a traditional 2.5".

May be once you take the hard drive out of that casing they have it will be a regular 2.5" hard drive?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
brotkasten said:
You can, if you remove the old HDD from the enclosure. The new one doesn't have a proprietary connector anymore, it's just the standard sata connector.

http://666kb.com/i/bk3qmdq0nwncx8l3h.jpg[/g][/QUOTE]

so any 2.5 SATA will work now ?

Fox Mulder

sweetvar26 said:
What kind of hard drive does it have? I know that it is swappable but can we upgrade it? The case seems to be different than a traditional 2.5".

May be once you take the hard drive out of that casing they have it will be a regular 2.5" hard drive?

well you can upgrade 2.5 HDD's with the current 360. It'll just depend on if MS opens up the firmware or not. You currently have to have their specific firmware bootleg installed on the drive, and even then, you're limited to the maximum of 250 GB's at the moment.

Hopefully they open it up for upgrades like the ps3, but I doubt it.

Fox Mulder

Jtyettis said:
Called my local GS and they said they would have them in this week as they shipped out yesterday. Gonna go this route.

I may dump mine at GS if they do a slim trade in offer. I got it for $70 off ebay anyways, and it's loud as fuck.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
infinityBCRT said:
does anyone know if the IR sensor still exists in the slim?
Yes, it's hidden either behind or near the sync button at the right of the console.

Means when you have the tray open the remote now still works. :)

richisawesome said:
Again, working at a rental store, this in particular is a godsend. In two years of working there, I've never once seen a damaged/scratched blu ray disc. It's unfuckingbelievable.

The amount of damaged DVDs (film and game) are in the hundreds though.

I rented Observe and Report on BRD and it was well fucked up and actually started skipping halfway through. There was a pretty huge smear on it. I think the take away is never rent anything disc based ever again.

Wiggum2007

brotkasten said:
You can, if you remove the old HDD from the enclosure. The new one doesn't have a proprietary connector anymore, it's just the standard sata connector

So will the old HDD transfer kit not work with the new HDD then?

JesseZao

BenjaminBirdie said:
I rented Observe and Report on BRD and it was well fucked up and actually started skipping halfway through. There was a pretty huge smear on it. I think the take away is never rent anything disc based ever again.

Sounds logical to me.

Rich!

BenjaminBirdie said:

The only thing that is a downside to blu ray is that they're extremely susceptible to being affected by general smudges and fingerprints. Stuff that normal DVDs wouldnt be affected by.

All it probably needed was a quick clean with a chamois cloth.

spwolf

adelante said:
I see it being stacked here (Gamespot unboxing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BX1zaKyjo

mlt6rt.jpg

new-xbox-20100614.jpg

is it my mind or does it look smaller in PR pics than in RL?

JesseZao said:
Sounds logical to me.

It does actually. What's the point in spending $5 to rent something when for only around 2/3rds more I can own it forever. I fucking hate renting shit. The costs have raised while retail costs of the full products have lowered. It's a dumb system that I hate myself for ever buying into. Plus, as seen, you have little to no control over the quality.

DasRaven

Order placed!

FYI: Amazon shows an in stock date of 06/19 at this time.
So with 1 day shipping, I should have it next Tuesday.

Now to find someone to buy my current white rig and accessories.

Diffense said:
Why are they still selling XBox so expensive?
The tech in it is not $300 now in 2010.

Because suckers will buy it at that price. They can ride that price all the way through Gears 3 so we won't see a lower price for a long time. Next E3 probably is when they will lower it.

DasRaven

kaskade said:
I don't know if I should just order off amazon(next shipment is going out the 19th), or hold out and try my luck in store.

I went with Amazon, Prime shipping and no taxes helped the decision though.
At this point, I'm hoping that there isn't a sweet Gamestop trade-up deal between now and Saturday.

kaskade

DasRaven said:
I went with Amazon, Prime shipping and no taxes helped the decision though.
At this point, I'm hoping that there isn't a sweet Gamestop trade-up deal between now and Saturday.
Yeah I was thinking that. The 19th is a sat. so I wouldn't get it until Monday. Wouldn't be much of a problem but I'm going to be away for that week. I'm thinking I could just ship it to where I'm staying (family members). I usually bring my 360 anyway for relaxing days.

Diffense said:
Why are they still selling XBox so expensive?
The tech in it is not $300 now in 2010.

Why is the PS3 still so expensive? Why is the wii still 200 dollars? it wasn't 200 dollar tech when it came out. Because that's what people will pay.

Has anyone else noticed that it seems that everyone already stopped talking about this? No hype anymore what-so-ever, it's like it never existed.

No-one even mentions it in the "rank the conferences" thread and to be honest, I didn't remember it either until just now.

Ding

PetriP-TNT said:
Has anyone else noticed that it seems that everyone already stopped talking about this? No hype anymore what-so-ever, it's like it never existed.

No-one even mentions it in the "rank the conferences" thread and to be honest, I didn't remember it either until just now.
What's to say? It's a new revision of the Elite. It seems like a modest improvement, but it's nothing earthshaking. It not like people have been demanding this, really. This should allow MS to drop the price quite a bit. If they actually ever do that, that will be news worth talking about.

Until then, it's just a new SKU.

Ettie

Price cut on the reliable arcade got me to jump in. Not enough new/awesome for me to spend the extra 150.

[Is there a 360 recommendation thread? "So, you got a 360, now what?"]

NIGHT-

My order still hasn't shipped but Amazon is showing the delivery estimate as the 17th. Anyone have a clue when the transfer kit cables are going to retail?

Top Bottom