• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 vs PS3 retail exclusives (+ restrictions) released US or EU 2010-2013

FINALBOSS

Banned
I didn't make the list and it isn't an accurate representation for both sides though.

Seems pretty accurate to me. See my post above that I think the list only incorporate's titles in a system's ecosystem...hence no Alan Wake/Witcher 2. Although Alan Wake took forever to get onto PC.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Seems pretty accurate to me. See my post above that I think the list only incorporate's titles in a system's ecosystem...hence no Alan Wake/Witcher 2. Although Alan Wake took forever to get onto PC.
Personally I would include XBLA and PSN titles for a better perspective.

Apath

Isn't PC exclusive (versus playable on OSX) in Microsoft's ecosystem? =p Either way we're talking a handful of games added to the 360's list, versus how many missing PS3 titles? At least four.

If you do that the margin will be even bigger.

And I think this list isn't including games that can be found on the PC as well--i.e. Alan Wake.

Just things in the systems ecosystem.

Same here man, same here :(

One of the saddest things of this year--esp that whole fiasco. Still though, game was amazing.
Well let the margin be bigger so we can see, why are yall befuddled

I2amza

If you not going to put 360 exclusives that are on PC, then the title should be renamed to PS ecosystem and XBox ecosystem.

No Alan Wake (Released on 360 in 2010 and 2 years later on PC) on the Xbox side, but PS All Stars ( PS3/Vita simultaneous release) on PS3 side. Funny how the word "exclusive" can change its definition to fit with whatever's convenient.

A better list (if people insist on making these types of lists) would be games published by MS, Sony, or Nintendo. That way you can include games released on PC, or handheld.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ah yes, this.

Although to Sony credits, it convinces a handful of people to jump ship and shows they actively support PS3. It also gives the impression that Xbox is all about securing the core at first, expanding rapidly to the mainstream and then monetizing anything they could get their hands on since people are invested in their ecosystem. In some ways, PS+ took a similar route.

It's a winning strategy by Microsoft this generation, just not one I'm a fan of.

Can't fault MS for doing what it did with Xbox 360. They got the hardcore to jump in early with lots of exclusives (like me), then slowed down exclusives to just Halo, Gears, Forza while they went after the Kinect pot of gold. Half way through this gen I switched to PS3 when Sony was firing exclusive after exclusive, no regrets. MS seems to be doing the same thing with Xbox One, lets see if they can maintain a strong stable of exclusive software for the entirety of that console's life. With Sony, there is no worry, you know they will stay committed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Show why MSFT has been the worst for the last few years. Sony stepped it's game up and it's going to continue into next gen.

Apath

Can't fault MS for doing what it did with Xbox 360. They got the hardcore to jump in early with lots of exclusives (like me), then slowed down exclusives to just Halo, Gears, Forza while they went after the Kinect pot of gold. Half way through this gen I switched to PS3 when Sony was firing exclusive after exclusive, no regrets. MS seems to be doing the same thing with Xbox One, lets see if they can maintain a strong stable of exclusive software for the entirety of that console's life. With Sony, there is no worry, you know they will stay committed.
Yep, and that's where Microsoft loses me. Even if they absolutely kill it with exclusives during the first few years, I will always have doubts and believe that the flow will slow considerably and give way to casual titles after Microsoft feels exclusives aren't important any longer. Then I'll be better off picking up an XBOX when it's dirt cheap.

Darkangel

I think it's pretty stupid to not include Windows/Xbox games as console exclusive. There are a lot of games like Splinter Cell: Conviction, The Witcher 2, and Alan Wake that are not playable on PS3 (or any other console).

If Vita/PS3 games count as console exclusive then Windows/Xbox games should too.

That being said, Sony clearly has the upper hand when it comes to 1st party development.

nib95

Banned
Guessing it counts PC as a comparable platform but not handhelds, which is fair enough. Must say, did not expect the gulf to be that big. Microsoft really is somewhat terrible at providing long life and continued value proposition for its consoles.

Wonder if it will be the same with the XO. Spend all that budget in the first few years and then sharply bleed off.

RoKKeR

It's not even funny how one sided it has been. The Last of Us just sealed the deal.

Sony has a lot of momentum going into next gen.

Yawnier

Banned
As a first party exclusives, Sony always boss around.

Sony are hell of a lot more confident in their first party studios now compared to a decade ago.

That's one reason why (apparently) according to one gaffer they opted out of moneyhatting FFXV and/or MGSV.

Fdkn

I stepped into this gen very late.. January 2011..

If I had choosen 360 as people around me suggested I would be now devastated by this
9zBFdVw.png

This is really the reason I can't see myself considering the One.. to see it being forgotten again by MS like this.

VanWinkle

That's pretty nuts. I knew PS3 had a lot more exclusives but that really puts it in perspective.

I DO think that they should have listed console exclusive 360 games (meaning not on PS3 or Wii), since it lists PS3-exclusives that are technically on Vita.

jayu26

I think it's pretty stupid to not include Windows/Xbox games as console exclusive. There are a lot of games like Splinter Cell: Conviction, The Witcher 2, and Alan Wake that are not playable on PS3 (or any other console).

If Vita/PS3 games count as console exclusive then Windows/Xbox games should too.

That being said, Sony clearly has the upper hand when it comes to 1st party development.

Alright lets make proper parameters for this, but is it Windows/Xbox/MAC or just Windows/Xbox because otherwise Witcher is out. See, it get really complicated very fast.

StoopKid

Sony are hell of a lot more confident in their first party studios now compared to a decade ago.

That's one reason why (apparently) according to one gaffer they opted out of moneyhatting FFXV and/or MGSV.

I dont blame them , especially on FFXV.

why moneyhat when you already know its gonna sale more on your console.

hongcha

If you include japan-only games they'd be much more on par. There were like 20 retail shmups released on the x360 in Japan in those years that were not released on the ps3. Tons of exclusive visual novels and other otaku fare as well.

Duxxy3

If I had choosen 360 as people around me suggested I would be now devastated by this
9zBFdVw.png

This is really the reason I can't see myself considering the One.. to see it being forgotten again by MS like this.

That picture is why my niece and nephew are using my 360 as a netflix box.

Sean

Banned
AW is on PC

Kind of a flawed comparison then, no? If this list isn't counting games available on PC it shouldn't count games available on Vita either.

The fine print at the bottom even says "The game has not at any point been released on any other platform."

I'd like to see a list without all these arbitrary restrictions. Obviously it would still be lopsided in Sony's favor as they have way more first party studios, but the comparison in the OP is flawed imo.

Usobuko

Banned
With Sony, there is no worry, you know they will stay committed.

I won't be absolutely certain about this. Sony already made PS+ mandatory for multiplayer because they saw an opportunity to announce this in the midst of Xbox One fiasco. It's always what corporations think they could capitalize without facing any notable backlash.

jayu26

If you include japan-only games they'd be much more on par. There were like 20 retail shmups released on the x360 in Japan in those years that were not released on the ps3. Tons of exclusive visual novels and other otaku fare as well.

Really? What about Yakuza 5, unlike Xbox's weird crap that is a proper game right there.

MercuryLS

Banned
I dont blame them , especially on FFXV.

why moneyhat when you already know its gonna sale more on your console.

Sony was smart enough to realize that moneyhatting is a sucker's game at the end of the day, you will burn through so much cash for at best temp exclusives (given the cost of development nowadays). Much better off buying and building great development studios that will bring you a lot of return over the course of a gen. Naughty Dog was by far they're best purchase.

As an early adopter of the 360, I'm certainly glad I picked up my PS3 three years ago. Microsoft have been highly reliant of Fable, Gears of War and Halo to carry their hardcore audience for the last few years.

GamerJM

Banned
The list is extremely biased. It's missing all of the exclusive shmups on the 360. The argument I've heard for that is that they're also in arcades, but going by that logic a lot of the PS3 exclusive games shouldn't be there because they're also on the Vita. There's also a no Japan-only rule which is complete BS.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

9zBFdVw.png

Devastated? Are you limited to recently released games as well as multiplatform games?

B.O.O.M

So? We were moving the needle to "games that aren't playable on the other console".

PC isn't a console. And if we go with console exclusives that are also found on the PC then DCUO etc will be added too. Makes more sense to just sticking to console titles.

OT: Didn't realize it was this bad :S Love me some Dance Central tho

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I don't think it's a representative list. It may be "accurate" in that it follows its own rules strictly, but the way those rules are chosen undermines many of the possible points it could make.

Ports to other consoles: It retroactively removes exclusives because of late ports (Alan Wake, Fable III)--which if you're trying to say "do you buy the system today if you've never played anything you needed the system for" is fine, but if you're trying to write a historical narrative is useless. It's like saying Final Fantasy VI wasn't a SNES exclusive because it later got ported to PS1--yes, true, you don't need to buy a SNES today for FFVI, but if you're trying to tell a story about the SNES versus Genesis it's not a valuable restriction. So that's something that would considered if the discussion is meant to be historical.

Vita: Games ported to PC (outside the console ecosystem) are excluded. Fair enough. Games ported to Vita (outside the console ecosystem) are not. I think that's a reasonable set of assumptions, but it's also one that has a specific impact on the Sony side for the "bigger". For example if the question is "If I own a gaming PC, what can I get exclusive on 360?" then excluding multiplats makes sense. If the question is "I own a 360 and a Vita, what can I get exclusive on PS3?" then some other stuff would be excluded.

US/EU: It includes games that are released in the US/EU during that period but whose original release was before that period (for example, White Knight Chronicles, Yakuza 3). Again, consistent with the rules. Saint Seiya is listed but did not release in the US.

Retail only: Never mind XBLA/PSN thing--DeathSmiles II, Akai Katana, and other retail games are excluded by this rule-- or perhaps because they're viewed as "ports" (of arcade games). But yes, XBLA/PSN are worth considering too for both sides.

MIA: The various Lips games released after 2010 are not listed (fine, because they're annual content packs?)

That's not to say that the conclusion you're meant to draw--that Sony has more exclusive games and Microsoft shifted primarily to Kinect and the only exclusive 3rd party titles are Japanese and Sony has all those--is wrong, because I don't think it is wrong. Sony clearly has the larger first party and more aggressively released games during that period and Microsoft clearly shifted interest to Kinect and if they're your bag, Sony's Japanese exclusive support from smaller publishers can be a BIG edge. So kudos to the author for demonstrating that. But I also think the rules affect the outcome of the list. All of the rules individually are justified, I'm not saying there's a problem with any one rule, but the composition of the rules impacts the list and it's clear why the specific rules were chosen is to support the position the author had.

Top Bottom