• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 vs PS3 retail exclusives (+ restrictions) released US or EU 2010-2013

RoKKeR

The list is extremely biased. It's missing all of the exclusive shmups on the 360. The argument I've heard for that is that they're also in arcades, but going by that logic a lot of the PS3 exclusive games shouldn't be there because they're also on the Vita. There's also a no Japan-only rule which is complete BS.

It's also missing the 2012 GoTY Journey, which is a PSN title. Goes both ways. It's not entirely accurate, sure, but it's reflective of the current state of first party support.

Usobuko

Banned
This thread just reminds me why PC + Nintendo combo is the best. The list is bare on both sides.

This exclusive list war doesn't include console exclusives. You know, the bulk of fighting games and hack and slash etc.

Although the latter is slowly making its way to PC and that's a good thing.

Can't fault MS for doing what it did with Xbox 360. They got the hardcore to jump in early with lots of exclusives (like me), then slowed down exclusives to just Halo, Gears, Forza while they went after the Kinect pot of gold. Half way through this gen I switched to PS3 when Sony was firing exclusive after exclusive, no regrets. MS seems to be doing the same thing with Xbox One, lets see if they can maintain a strong stable of exclusive software for the entirety of that console's life. With Sony, there is no worry, you know they will stay committed.

depends on what you mean by fault. if it means "complain and not get suckered into buying an xbone" then i can fault them.

Now let's see 2005-2009

im not sure what your point is, but as i understand it, the graphic is meant to show that over the past few years sony has remained committed to core gamers while msft has transitioned towards the kinect. it is unclear whether this will continue into the next gen, whether msft will use the same strategy (hook the core, transition towards the mass market), or whether they will cater to the core the whole generation. seems to me this uncertainty makes the ps4 the less risky choice.

i own all three consoles, and without realizing it i basically followed this trend. i played my 360 a ton a few years ago and now play the ps3 almost exclusively (though admittedly the fact that my 360 shit the bed again recently has exacerbated the discrepancy, but the fact that i havent felt the need to replace it yet says something).

MercuryLS

Banned
I won't be absolutely certain about this. Sony already made PS+ mandatory for multiplayer because they saw an opportunity to announce this in the midst of Xbox One fiasco. It's always what corporations think they could capitalize without facing any notable backlash.

I'm not sure what that has to do with strong 1st party support for a console. I'm going off their track record with PS2/3 where they released fantastic exclusives right up until their new machine came out. They closed out PS2 with Shadow of the Colossus, one of my favorite games ever. This gen they're also going out with a bang with The Last of Us. I don't see any sign of strong 1st party support changing with PS4. Hell you could argue that they didn't have to do much for PS2 since it murdered the competition solely with 3rd party games, but they released tons of fine games on that machine too.

Wow what a timely topic. I just impulse-bought a 360 slim recently because Halo 4 looked really nice. Then I searched for 360 exclusives that I might like and found nothing to my (playstation gamer) tastes. That or I've already played them on PC. Oh well....no regrets though.

MercuryLS

Banned
depends on what you mean by fault. if it means "complain and not get suckered into buying an xbone" then i can fault them.

From a business strategy perspective, they already roped in a bunch of gamers. It's tough to switch, most won't because they're already invested. I can fault them for it, and have.

Darkangel

Alright lets make proper parameters for this, but is it Windows/Xbox/MAC or just Windows/Xbox because otherwise Witcher is out. See, it get really complicated very fast.

I think it should be "games available on PS3 but not on 360" vs "games available on 360 but not on PS3". Basically a comparison of the console exclusives.

PSN and XBLA games should also be included.

Gestault

If you include titles that are also released on vita, then you have to include titles released PC since it's part of MS.

This seems reasonable and important. It doesn't make a difference one way or another if that actually shifts the balance, but if the "ecosystem" argument is being made on Sony's behalf, then titles published often by Microsoft itself on PC, let alone on a Microsoft operating system shouldn't be held against it if we're being consistent (particularly when the gap between releases is measured in years). If we're bothering to prop up the comparison, it should be done accurately. If the reaction to bad information is "make your own if it matters so much," then it's obvious this isn't done sincerely.

If our attitude toward gaming is that any company should be "punished" in terms of public perception for making a title more widely available, I want nothing to do with the discussion.

injurai

Banned
What kept the Xbox going so strong this gen was Halo, a year head start, and Xbox live as a vehicle for 3rd party multiplayer. But having completely written off console shooters for favoring PC, preferring the free PSN, and caring for the unique diversity that 1st party games offer compared to 3rd parties. The Xbox hasn't appealed to me since 2008. Gears and Mass Effect where the only ever exclusive games that I enjoyed, but 1 of those isn't owned by Microsoft and is merely money hatted from going multiplat and the other transfered to EA when Bioware was purchased. That leaves I suppose Forza, but GT was always my go to.

I completely get people like Xbox, but I seriously for the life of me can't work up a single reason why I would want to use that platform. I could go out at any second and pick up a game for my system. But I haven't for 5 years. Xbox One at least seems to have some effort into 1st party games by MS, but man do they have a ways to come compared to Ninty and Sony...

jayu26

I think it should be "games available on PS3 but not on 360" vs "games available on 360 but not on PS3". Basically a comparison of the console exclusives.

PSN and XBLA games should also be included.

Even by that parameter PS3 will massacre 360, if we were looking from 2010 onward. But 360 did really good early on.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Actually, it is a console not just a home console.

A handheld game console.

PC isn't a home console, it's a etc

Now if you want to make the argument that there's some threshold of port quality or specific content or something that differentiates handheld versions from home console versions in a way that home console versions aren't differentiated from PC (which would justify the PC exclusion but the Vita inclusion) then that's one thing, but I think that's a contentious claim--and it'd still be worth examining the historical element. Is the question "What exclusives would I have played at the time as an owner?" then you can justify excluding relatively concurrent ports, but not year-apart ports. If the question is "Which exclusives can I play today as a person who owns neither PS3 nor 360 but owns <PC / Vita / etc>" then that's another question, right?

DuckRacer

95% of those games are completely forgettable. Who actually cares about all the shovelware or trash like Massive Action Game.

GamerJM

Banned
It's also missing the 2012 GoTY Journey, which is a PSN title. Goes both ways. It's not entirely accurate, sure, but it's reflective of the current state of first party support.

That's attributed to the fact that downloadable games are absent, which also goes both ways. The point I pointed out (lack of Cave shmups, Vita multiplats counted for the PS3) both only hinder the 360 side. I analyzed this with someone else a while back and looked up specifics, there's definitely a bias against the 360.

Regardless I don't disagree that overall Sony would still probably have the more impressive list of exclusives even if this wasn't biased, Microsoft has really gone weak on 360 support lately. As someone who would put the 360 and PS3 about even with each other, I think the biggest issue with using that as your argument is that you're ignoring the first few years of this generation. Games released from 2005-2009 don't just magically disappear. My point being, even if you played your PS3 more than your 360 these past few years, you can't deny the 360's great support it had earlier this gen, especially in the really early days.

Again, it really all comes down to preference. I think there's a solid argument for liking the 360 the most, a solid argument for liking the PS3 the most, a solid argument for liking the Wii the most, and a solid argument for sticking with PC or handhelds.

Skyzard

Banned
This seems reasonable and important. It doesn't make a difference one way or another if that actually shifts the balance, but if the "ecosystem" argument is being made on Sony's behalf, then titles published often by Microsoft itself on PC, let alone on a Microsoft operating system shouldn't be held against it if we're being consistent (particularly when the gap between releases is measured in years). If we're bothering to prop up the comparison, it should be done accurately. If the reaction to bad information is "make your own if it matters so much," then it's obvious this isn't done sincerely.

If our attitude toward gaming is that any company should be "punished" in terms of public perception for making a title more widely available, I want nothing to do with the discussion.

He probably assumed Vita owners have PS3s generally but not all PC owners have 360s.
Still it's not great with the title but generally accurate.

As someone else mentioned the ecosystem only really applies if it's a GFWL game as well, not just something produced on an MS OS. You watch games on Sony TVs, does that make it part of its ecosystem?

XBLA vs PSN would be interesting as well.

LaNaranja

Kind of a flawed comparison then, no? If this list isn't counting games available on PC it shouldn't count games available on Vita either.

The fine print at the bottom even says "The game has not at any point been released on any other platform."

I'd like to see a list without all these arbitrary restrictions. Obviously it would still be lopsided in Sony's favor as they have way more first party studios, but the comparison in the OP is flawed imo.

If I am seeing correctly that would remove two MLB games, Sly Cooper, and Battle Royale (Full Frontal Assault was only made available digitally on Vita). I agree though, a list without arbitrary restrictions that included the PC and Nintendo would be great.

Those handful of Xbox games probably outsold all those PS3 games. Still, I've gotten more value out of the Halo titles than I have any of the those PS3 titles. Just my two cents.

B.O.O.M

95% of those games are completely forgettable. Who actually cares about all the shovelware or trash like Massive Action Game.

That's a different issue. One where it's all up to personal tastes in gaming. I would never call MAG to be 'trash' for example..far from it.

Fdkn

Devastated? Are you limited to recently released games as well as multiplatform games?

I am limited to pick the platform I think is going to keep more and diversed releases flowing during the whole generation and not just the early monehatting push.

Majine

Banned
Not only is it biased, but not updated either. Shouldn't TLoU be at the top of the Sony skyskraper, looking down at everyone else?

From a business strategy perspective, they already roped in a bunch of gamers. It's tough to switch, most won't because they're already invested. I can fault them for it, and have.

it may be tough to switch within a generation, but considerably less so between generations, which is why i think this is a valuable conversation. we are on the cusp of a new generation and we now know how msft is likely to play its hand. those of us who resent how they have done so can make our console purchasing decisions accordingly.

Yawnier

Banned
Those handful of Xbox games probably outsold all those PS3 games. Still, I've gotten more value out of the Halo titles than I have any of the those PS3 titles. Just my two cents.

Its not the same point in which you are making and mostly unrelated, but did any of those Xbox titles pass 10 million units? (GT5 sales this May, for anyone curious)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not only is it biased, but not updated either. Shouldn't TLoU be at the top of the Sony skyskraper, looking down at everyone else?

Well it'd have to be from after end of April since Deadly Premonition isn't counted for the 360 anymore, but before June, since TLoU and Toki Towa don't have reviews. So it had to be made in a very specific time period.

kswiston

it may be tough to switch within a generation, but considerably less so between generations, which is why i think this is a valuable conversation. we are on the cusp of a new generation and we now know how msft is likely to play its hand. those of us who resent how they have done so can make our console purchasing decisions accordingly.

Since none of our digital content carries over on either console, I'd say it's pretty easy to switch one company to another this coming generation. We're not talking about switching from iOS to Android or vice versa. Unless you really care about your gamerscore/trophies, you start from zero regardless of who you pick.

Cutting the jrpgs because you don't like the genre would be the same as someone suggesting shooters shouldn't count because they find them boring (which would eliminate most western games from both consoles).

I like jrpgs i mean those very niche one's. if we use those then i am sure there are niche 360 exclusives missing.

psrock

Does adding Witcher 2 and Fable 3 changes anything ?

The fact remains besides some major holiday titles, MS has slowed down on their exclusive retail games.

Since none of our digital content carries over on either console, I'd say it's pretty easy to switch one company to another this coming generation. We're not talking about switching from iOS to Android or vice versa. Unless you really care about your gamerscore/trophies, you start from zero regardless of who you pick.

i completely agree. some people probably care about trophies and achievements, which i assume will carry over and may provide some minor obstacle to switching. friends lists too i guess. personally i dont give a shit about them so switching is completely frictionless for me, especially since there is no BC and i keep all my old consoles anyway.

Top Bottom