• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What is technologically feasible in that time window. And that does not include a console that is close to an order of magnitude less powerful than the competition.

By your definition, Nintendo could release a smartwatch powered console and it would still be part of the current gen by virtue of chronology.

But anyway, this is semantics. You know damn well what I meant.

Well Zelda U wouldn't be a "current gen" game either since the Wii U is weaker than the competition so by that virtue we'll still be waiting for one.

However, I'd argue Skyward Sword was doing something technologically advance at the time, motion control.

I'm not seeing any reports of unexplained (possibly ninja related) deaths near to NOA or the surrounding areas, so either this is a timely leak to garner interests, its fake or right now the source is on the highway with no brakes

RIP OP's source

When Wind Waker was first revealed this lead to years of Celda cries and calls for Miyamoto's head on a spike.

It then became a series favourite.

There's really no reason to cancel the game if the only reason is "people don't like how it looked".
It's also not even the same thing. Metroid, from the very first title, was very deliberately intended to be dark and unsettling on all levels, across all aspects. Zelda, despite fans constantly wishing for a "gritty and mature" title, never had that. It was cartoonish from the beginning, and while OoT and MM skewed into darkness, both were often bright, colorful, and quirky. Wind Waker always meshed well with the franchise and its history. So already it's a false equivalence.

But even further than that, Wind Waker is, from a gameplay standpoint, very thoroughly a Zelda game through and through. Federation Force, at least last we saw it, is a linear, level-based game. That description is literally the antithesis to a Metroid game.

Combine all this with the fact that it doesn't feature Samus (Wind Waker definitely features Link), and more importantly that there hasn't been a Metroid game in coming on 6 years or a Metroid Prime game in 9 years (compared to 2 years for the Oracle games and 3 years for Majora) you have a very, very different situation.

Plus, the status of the Zelda series had never been anything close to fragile. Other M missed Nintendo's sales expectations and the series got put on ice for 6 years. What happens if this fails? Is the cord pulled again? Could we be looking at a situation like Chibi-Robo or Fire Emblem where a single game failing could mean the difference between the series continueing on or not? At least for the foreseeable future? Or on the flip side, what happens if it's a huge success? The franchise is in a position where such a situation could massively alter the series trajectory.

Revealing a price drop for the 3DS line 6 months in advance is quite damaging, I can imagine. I don't see how that could be part of a controlled leak and likewise, I don't know why the leaker chose to reveal that tidbit of information. It does nothing but hurt the company, which in turn, hurts the fans he supposedly loves as well.

E-Cat

Well Zelda U wouldn't be a "current gen" game either since the Wii U is weaker than the competition so by that virtue we'll still be waiting for one.

However, I'd argue Skyward Sword was doing something technologically advance at the time, motion control.
I was talking about Zelda NX. I even added the caveat that it would be cross-gen. But I'll take it.

Motion controls are fine to have, but do not compensate for missing hardware power. "Aspects" of Skyward Sword were advanced, but again, it did not meet my definition of current gen.

Ansatz

What is technologically feasible and reasonable to expect in that time window. And that does not include a console that is close to an order of magnitude less powerful than the competition.

By your definition, Nintendo could release a smartwatch powered console and it would still be part of the current gen by virtue of chronology.

But anyway, this is semantics. You know damn well what I meant.

PS3 and 360 had steep initial price points though.

Wii was underpowered relative to reasonable expectations, but this idea that it was severely underpowered is nonsense. The truth lies somewhere in between, you also have to account for the fact that PS3 and 360 were overpowered, not the standard.

Raw64life

Wonder how much of that marketing budget is allocated to the Dragon Quest games. I'm hoping for $10 million, but I'm sure it's closer to 10 cents.

I don't think it would have been delayed 18 months just for a port. For comparison's sake, the delay for TP came a couple of months before its release date.

From Wikipedia, and my memory of being massively disappointed back in 2005

Originally planned for release on the GameCube in November 2005, Twilight Princess was delayed by Nintendo to allow its developers to refine the game, add more content, and port it to the Wii.[3] The Wii version was released alongside the console in North America in November 2006, and in Japan, Europe, and Australia the following month. The GameCube version was released worldwide in December 2006.[4]

E-Cat

PS3 and 360 had steep initial price points though.

Wii was underpowered relative to reasonable expectations, but this idea that it was severely underpowered is nonsense. The truth lies somewhere in between, you also have to account for the fact that PS3 and 360 were overpowered, not the standard.
Wii literally had the power of 1.5 Gamecubes. That is severely underpowered, so much so that ports from other consoles weren't possible not even accounting for the poor third-party relations. It's the whole reason Nintendo were playing catch-up in HD development at the beginning of Wii U's life cycle.

360 fit the standard for the time. GPUs were still relatively cheap and low power (W) compared to today. It was the Cell and the BD drive that made PS3 so expensive.

Neoxon

Chû Totoro;196349402 said:
NX coming this year? I mean not only the platform but also an hardware tied to it... and it seems to be a console since OP says Zelda U is coming on it. Well I would be very surprised by a 2016 release for a new home console.
Actually I'm ok to put some crow in the fridge just in case because I still don't believe you OP.

The rest is more or less obvious or at least very very plausible.
It wouldn't necessarily mean that the NX Platform is only a home console, but rather the home console form factor is launching first. Either way, we'll know for sure in the coming months. The 3DS price drop does seem to indicate that Nintendo is trying to clear out 3DS stock for the NX Handheld while also freeing up the $200 price tag for said NX Handheld.

FelipeMGM

Soo Tamaki (who has a great record) posted on twitter that MetalDave was lying, but a few seconds after posting he deleted the tweet.

Things are shady

EhoaVash

To be honest this 3ds line up isn't really interesting to me.

Pokemon 20th game aside, the rest games sounds just boring, unless you're in the States and starved for jrpg games that have been released in Japan already

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cucurbitacée;196350107 said:
Still, they are part of NDA. I don't see anyone in the industry breaking a NDA for a promotional stunt.

Are you 100% certain that these specific codenames are under NDA?

Magnus

Is this the closest thing yet to a confirmation that Zelda will be ported to NX like TP/Wii was back in 2006? I realize it's super likely, just didn't know if it was ever confirmed, etc.

It wouldn't necessarily mean that the NX Platform is only a home console, but rather the home console form factor is launching first. Either way, we'll know for sure in the coming months. The 3DS price drop does seem to indicate that Nintendo is trying to clear out 3DS stock for the NX Handheld while also freeing up the $200 price tag for said NX Handheld.

So then maybe we get the console this year and the handheld next year? As opposed to the other way around like I know a few of us have suggested before.

3DS Price cut + Pokemon Z would give it one last decent Christmas, meanwhile the NX home console will have it's big debut and launch with Zelda and some 3rd party ports inc. Watch Dogs 2 (maybe?).

Then when the dust has settled, we'll get the NX handheld in Spring 2017.

woopWOOP

N-stars, huh?

Nintendo Skylanders ripoff sounds alright. Or maybe it's that Diddy Kong & Nintendo has-beens racing game that is rumoured now and then? They probably wouldn't be considered 'N-stars' tho :p

Davey Cakes

Who cares? By the end of its life it'll have Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD and a brand new Zelda. That's one of the best Zelda lineups on any console.
Not to mention all of the Virtual Console Zelda games, even GBA ones like Minish Cap.

Wii U is a great place for Zelda. It just won't have it's own exclusive game in the series. That's honestly fine with me.

Well at least not too much got leaked. I'd prefer to see this come from Nintendo themselves. More exciting. I wonder when we'll get our next direct.

Revealing a price drop for the 3DS line 6 months in advance is quite damaging, I can imagine. I don't see how that could be part of a controlled leak and likewise, I don't know why the leaker chose to reveal that tidbit of information. It does nothing but hurt the company, which in turn, hurts the fans he supposedly loves as well.

If anyone is going to hold off purchasing 3DS this late in its lifecycle for another 8 months because of a supposed leak from an anonymous source on the internet stated that here will be a pricecut. Even without specifying how big it will be, then that person had little to no interest in buying a 3DS in the first place. This won't have any tangible affect on Nintendo's bottom line.

Soo Tamaki (who has a great record) posted on twitter that MetalDave was lying, but a few seconds after posting he deleted the tweet.

Things are shady

With the whole Shovel Knight in Super Smash Bros. thing, the Devil's Third debacle, and the weird Starfox motion control thing recently, Tamaki is more like the boy who cried wolf at this point.

He's made some vague tweets about NX too. Nothing against the guy personally but a lot of the time it feels like he posts vague stuff but in a really weird, non-committal way that makes them hard to believe at face value and then falls under the "oh, it was just a rumour I felt like sharing, I never said it was true" defence if doubt is expressed or they turn out fake (nevermind that if you're not totally sure of something, sharing rumours is arguably pretty destructive). It just gives me a weak sense of accountability.

I've never said it's only a home console. NX is a platform, compatible with many hardware types, including Mobile, Handhelds and Consoles.

Now with what OP says it seems that Zelda U is coming on NX platform this year... and for me Zelda U is a console game so it has to be on a NX compatible Console Hardware. This is the thing I don't believe, I think a new Nintendo console this year is not possible. It's too soon. Maybe the announcement but not the console (I was more to believe a new portable system but it seems that they still want to push 3DS this year so...).

Maybe OP will still be right with Zelda U on NX and it'll be on a portable (and then I'll be even more surprised).

So for me Zelda NX this year is not something I believe and even more on a home console hardware. Like I said this is the only point that seems off to me.

Note: Nintendo employee already taken by Nindjas?

Neoxon

So then maybe we get the console this year and the handheld next year? As opposed to the other way around like I know a few of us have suggested before.

3DS Price cut + Pokemon Z would give it one last decent Christmas, meanwhile the NX home console will have it's big debut and launch with Zelda and some 3rd party ports inc. Watch Dogs 2 (maybe?).

Then when the dust has settled, we'll get the NX handheld in Spring 2017.
This is what I'm assuming will be the case for North America. Japan may be the other way around considering that handhelds do much better in Japan than home consoles. If nothing else, the 3DS will be going out with a bang.

If anyone is going to hold off purchasing 3DS this late in its lifecycle for another 8 months because of a supposed leak from an anonymous source on the internet stated that here will be a pricecut. Even without specifying how big it will be, then that person had little to no interest in buying a 3DS in the first place. This won't have any tangible affect on Nintendo's bottom line.

That's really just a supposition without any sound data to back it up. We saw how the price cut affected the trust in Nintendo's brand with 3DS in its first year, and that wasn't even planned. People kept saying that Wii U would have the same type of discount after it failed to light up the market. They held out. If this rumor becomes widespread, it could absolutely have an effect on sales. The anonymous denier interviewed by Nintendo World Report would not have singled out that detail if it wasn't potentially damaging.

Fireblend

Banned
As long as one of those code names is Rhythm Heaven I'm fine with this lineup.

I really hope it's true. Spending xmas playing a new mainline Pokemon sounds pretty good to me.

Pyrokai

This is what happens when you have Directs like, once every 6 months. Their lack of communication has been infuriating me.

Neoxon

As long as one of those code names is Rhythm Heaven I'm fine with this lineup.

I really hope it's true. Spending xmas playing a new mainline Pokemon sounds pretty good to me.
It'd have to be Caviar F since the only other smaller-budget codenamed game, Cadillac, is for Style Savvy 3.

That's really just a supposition without any sound data to back it up. We saw how the price cut affected the trust in Nintendo's brand with 3DS in its first year, and that wasn't even planned. People kept saying that Wii U would have the same type of discount after it failed to light up the market. They held out. If this rumor becomes widespread, it could absolutely have an effect on sales. The anonymous denier interviewed by Nintendo World Report would not have singled out that detail if it wasn't potentially damaging.

I can say your doing the same thing. This is the first time I've ever heard of people holding out on buying the Wii U because of a speculated deep price cut. People who didn't buy the Wii U was because they didn't see it as an appealing product. That would be saying if Nintendo launched the 3DS at $169.99 instead then the Wii U sales would be different, which is asinine.

It's a rumor on an internet message board about a supposed price cut in 8 months for product that's been on the market for 5 years nearing the end of its lifespan.I never said it wouldn't have an effect on sales, I said it will be negligible.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This is what happens when you have Directs like, once every 6 months. Their lack of communication has been infuriating me.
It's funny, it's like their CEO died and they had to abruptly restructure their company while also ramping up a new console release. Man, that infuriates me too.

MK_768

It's funny, it's like their CEO died and they had to abruptly restructure their company while also ramping up a new console release. Man, that infuriates me too.

People don't understand Japanese culture. It was explained time and time again(not from Nintendo, obviously) that the lack of Directs after E3 was very much due to Iwata's death.

But we got 2 directs to close out the year. Yes we are due a Direct and I'm sure we'll get one soon for Spring and maybe early summer releases.

At this rate, their next "Direct" will be E3.

Sadly, this seems to be the case.

Not really. It's February. Y'all just too pessimistic.

I can say your doing the same thing. This is the first time I've ever heard of people holding out on buying the Wii U because of a speculated deep price cut. People who didn't buy the Wii U was because they didn't see it as an appealing product. That would be saying if Nintendo launched the 3DS at $169.99 instead then the Wii U sales would be different, which is asinine.

It's a rumor on an internet message board about a supposed price cut in 8 months for product that's been on the market for 5 years nearing the end of its lifespan.I never said it wouldn't have an effect on sales, I said it will be negligible.

All you have to do is look up posts from around the time in question. The 3DS price cut hurt momentum in the critical early days of Wii U, which is why Iwata vehemently denied pulling a similar stunt again. Still, you had posts here saying a price drop would happen or that they would drop the Gamepad. The Nintendo brand was damaged plain and simple. The only assinine claims are that you can mind read consumers and that anyone who has yet to purchase a 3DS isn't a true fan or potential customer. Nintendo themselves have said they see growth potential in N.A., particularly with female consumers.

Not really. It's February. Y'all just too pessimistic.

TBF though, the first Direct of the year has never been later then February and at this rate it looks like one's not happening at all till March at the earliest.

2012 - Feb
2013 - Jan
2014 - Feb
2015 - Jan
Now - ???

Davey Cakes

That's like the most valuable piece of info on there. My friend was thinking of buying a 3DS soon, I'll make sure he waits.
It's valuable info but just as you said, you'll make sure your friend waits.

Obviously it's not in Nintendo's best interest for people to wait for a price drop, unless they wouldn't buy the system otherwise.

MK_768

TBF though, the first Direct of the year has never been later then February and at this rate it looks like one's not happening at all till March at the earliest.

2012 - Feb
2013 - Jan
2014 - Feb
2015 - Jan
Now - ???

I agree. I just think saying we won't get one until E3 is a bit premature lol. Europe has a couple big games with no release dates I think. I know they have no clue when Fire Emblem Fates is coming. I dont think Nintendo would delay that till after E3. Maybe May or late April.

It's valuable info but just as you said, you'll make sure your friend waits.

Obviously it's not in Nintendo's best interest for people to wait for a price drop, unless they wouldn't buy the system otherwise.
Right, but all of these leaks are bad for Nintendo right?

RK128

2012 - Feb
2013 - Jan
2014 - Feb
2015 - Jan
Now - ???

The next direct is either in March and it will cover a lot of the announcements mentioned here and leaked in the past (the codenamed games, Paper Mario Wii U, more information on Pikmin 4)......or we won't get one until April that is only focused on the Nintendo NX (announcement, what its about, some developers working on it, a new game announcement for it, ect) with a follow up on that this E3 with a massive information blow out.

That's like the most valuable piece of info on there. My friend was thinking of buying a 3DS soon, I'll make sure he waits.

I know everyone's financial situation is different but it seems kind of absurd to wait 8 or 9 months for what will most likely be a $30 price drop.

Morts

Without knowing how substantial a cut it'll be, or even if it's real? If I put off a purchase for over six months and only ended up saving $30, I'd be pretty pissed at myself.

Anyway, I'm really interested in seeing what Federation Force looks like after all this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom