• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS 2016 Line Up By Nintendo Revealed (Verified Source at Nintendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're aware of how little a Zelda game sells, compared to a regular Mario game, for example?
Zelda launched on the Wii, and Mario launched on the Wii U. It doesn't seem to matter.

I remember one of my coworkers the other day was saying they kind of wanted to buy a Wii U for Mario games, but it was too expensive. I wonder if they'll sell NX at a loss.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You're aware of how little a Zelda game sells, compared to a regular Mario game, for example?

The best seller over a long time isnt necessarily the bigger system seller. A mainline Zelda title pushing the current console capabilities will always be a big draw for a audience that Nintendo can easy target with Mario and Co.

The hardcore audience who tend to get consoles at launch would likely be more interested in the first Open World Zelda game than..well...another NSMB title at launch. Also 3D Mario titles on consoles dont sell that much better than Zelda console games ( Skyward Sword was the exception for a couple of reason).

Would you agree twilight princess is a fair comparison to super mario u, both being launch titles for their systems? The wii version of twilight princess has far outsold it, and that games audience was split between two systems

Lingitiz

tbh I'm not even convinced any game could prove a system seller at this point. The WiiU's continued failure, despite getting the best entries ever in several of Nintendo's more enduring franchises, indicates to me that people simply don't want to pay for Nintendo systems anymore.

The new Zelda would have to be a pretty big deal to push, what, another 300-400 dollar console in the middle of the generation? Too bad we barely know a thing about it, huh.

3DS was a success though that took off once key games started hitting the platform and once the price was in the right spot. I don't think people are necessarily unwilling to buy Nintendo systems, but more that the Wii U was a poorly timed, badly priced, poorly managed, and awfully marketed system that confused audiences not in the know.

evanmisha

My money is on this being a controlled leak. It's just too suspect that we learn so much about upcoming Nintendo titles but almost literally nothing about the NX launch lineup and hardware. Not to mention, the format of the leak is odd (with a lot of ancillary details).

The Pokémon codename is also really meta after the rumors before X/Y, and there's been so many high profile Nintendo leaks lately.

Namco Bandai leak? "Smash 4... and other titles ;)"
Nintendo leak? "Everything you know about, obvious stuff and late localizations... and more ;)"
NX? "Zelda, of course... stay tuned for more details ;)"
Mother 3? "It's coming... or is it? ;)"

It just seems like thinly veiled hype building. With that said, I'm legit pumped for more Style Savvy so mission accomplished

Would you like to explain how it works? That mod post on the first page doesn't make it sound as though the mods necessarily have to have contact with the employee in question.

Furthermore, since you've (purportedly) leaked financial information, it's quite likely that someone, at least, is going to be fired because of your actions. Have you considered that?

PM bishoptl about that if you really want to know.

Yes all precautions have been taken, I seriously doubt anyone will be fired but thank you for your concern.

Champion

Thread got derailed by ppl still complaining over Zelda going multiplat. As if it isnt still coming to the Wii U or something.

But as far as the 3DS goes there really isnt much here for me as far as 1st party offerings go now that Fates is out. There isnt much on the 3rd party side either but what is there is REALLY GOOD.

wrowa

Is there a regular Mario game close to being ready for NX's launch though? Time will tell.

Considering how old NSMBU/NSMB2 and SM3DW are, both teams should realistically be capable of releasing a new entry pretty soon-ish.

Wii U launch has shown that NSMB despite being tremendously successful isn't strong enough to carry a launch, however. Which goes hand in hand with what cw_sasuke just posted: A successful game isn't necessarily also a strong system seller.

Kaisos

A lot of my concerns about the NX would evaporate if it ended up being backwards compatible with Wii/WiiU titles, but I'm sure there are people in this thread who would inform me why that's impossible.

3DS was a success though that took off once key game started hitting the platform and once the price was in the right spot.

Well, it also has the advantage of being the only dedicated gaming handheld in the market. Unless I'm forgetting something...

As if it isnt still coming to the Wii U or something.

If it's significantly neutered in comparison, it might as well not be.

Branduil

tbh I'm not even convinced any game could prove a system seller at this point. The WiiU's continued failure, despite getting the best entries ever in several of Nintendo's more enduring franchises, indicates to me that people simply don't want to pay for Nintendo systems anymore.

The new Zelda would have to be a pretty big deal to push, what, another 300-400 dollar console in the middle of the generation? Too bad we barely know a thing about it, huh.

I think if the Wii U had launched with Mario Maker and Splatoon, as opposed to yet more Mario sequels which do nothing to sell the gamepad, it might have taken a different path. Although they'd still be screwed third-party wise.

CaVaYeRo

Hey OP, Nintendo isn't writing "Nintendo NX" anywhere. It's Project NX, new NX system, etc, as probably means Nintendo X...

Hardware price cuts aren't announced-reported that way either.

Considering how old NSMBU/NSMB2 and SM3DW are, both teams should realistically be capable of releasing a new entry pretty soon-ish.

Wii U launch has shown that NSMB despite being tremendously successful isn't strong enough to carry a launch, however. Which goes hand in hand with what cw_sasuke just posted: A successful game isn't necessarily also a strong system seller.

I think the Pikmin, NSMB and Mario Maker division are the same unless they've been reshuffled after EPD was formed. Mario Maker just came out and Pikmin 4 is coming so I wouldn't be sure. I wonder how Nintendo would go about a 2D Mario now that Mario Maker is out.

A new 3D Mario has to be coming soon though. 3DW released in 2013 and all that team has done since then is Captain Toad and the NES Remix games.

Caramello

You want me to interview the individual or something and get some kind of voice scrambler? Lol, they already risked enough I would think. There is no way I could get the information they provided me without communication with them. Maybe you guys are not aware of how verifying an employee like this works? They took a gigantic risk doing this and trusting me to help them, however they knew getting verified by bishoptl was going to be a big help overall.

For some even if they were shown the evidence point blank in the face they would not believe it anyway and would still blow it off. This is ok of course and everyone has that option to choose what they want to believe.

It doesn't matter. This should still be labelled as a rumour until we hear it directly from Nintendo and not through an intermediate source. Nobody is attacking you personally for this so don't take it that way.

A lot of my concerns about the NX would evaporate if it ended up being backwards compatible with Wii/WiiU titles, but I'm sure there are people in this thread who would inform me why that's impossible.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.

Well, it also has the advantage of being the only dedicated gaming handheld in the market. Unless I'm forgetting something...
It's very mean to completely ignore the little Vita. It still has some very dedicated fans.

If it's significantly neutered in comparison, it might as well not be.
Twilight Princess sold more than a million on GC. Not every WiiU gamer will switch to NX at launch but want to play Zelda nevertheless.

@Thread: To be honest, the information is not thrilling and seems random. Marketing budget, some already known games, some Code Names.

Brakke

Banned
It doesn't matter. This should still be labelled as a rumour until we hear it directly from Nintendo and not through an intermediate source. Nobody is attacking you personally for this so don't take it that way.

Take it up with the mods if you care. This is off topic and boring.

Acidote

So, I have 5 games to buy this year. Each of them long enough to last me for months.

Bravely Second
FE: Fates
DQVII
DQVIII
Pokemon 20th

TLZ

Banned
Would you like to explain how it works? That mod post on the first page doesn't make it sound as though the mods necessarily have to have contact with the employee in question.

Furthermore, since you've (purportedly) leaked financial information, it's quite likely that someone, at least, is going to be fired because of your actions. Have you considered that?

And why do you care? That's his problem to deal with and he's more than happy to share. And since Bish verified trev's source, this questioning should just stop now. It's like no matter what's done it's not enough and some will never be satisfied. What more do you want seriously? Unless you guys don't trust the mods here...

Fawk Nin

Some people's reactions in this thread are mind boggling. People implying or outright saying Trev will be reasonable for someone being fired, the source gave up this information in order for it to be shared, he knowingly took the risk.

Also why are people angry that zelda is coming to NX, what have you lost by this? Nothing. What have others gained? A potentially great zelda game on hardware that they want. What have Nintendo gained? A killer launch game that will hopefully sell units. Win, win, win. And I say this as a wiiu owner since launch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OP's source revealed all this on their death bed. You can't fire someone who's already dead!

"Trev, before I go I need to tell you some marketing budgets...."

MrPanic

Hm, not many surprises on that list. Hopefully those two big budget code-named games are gonna be fan-favorites or it's gonna be a pretty meh year outside of the NX and Zelda.

I hope the next Animal Crossing is for the next-gen handheld and not 3DS. Or at least that it's cross-gen, with saves carrying over.

Forkball

Pretty by the numbers list, though I'm curious about what could be Torte City as it's apparently a big budget title, yet it's coming out in summer. Some people said it could be Yokai Watch 2, which honestly would be a good release for the summer.

Pokemon Rainbow is probably just going to be Pokemon Z. Though I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more Pokemon games on the list. What about Detective Pikachu? When is that coming to the states? WHEN?

Pretty by the numbers list, though I'm curious about what could be Torte City as it's apparently a big budget title, yet it's coming out in summer. Some people said it could be Yokai Watch 2, which honestly would be a good release for the summer.

Pokemon Rainbow is probably just going to be Pokemon Z. Though I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't more Pokemon games on the list. What about Detective Pikachu? When is that coming to the states? WHEN?

Torte -> Tortuga -> Turtle -> Squirtle -> Pokémon -> Pikachu -> Pikachu in the City
Half Life 3DS confirmed

I expect Wii U production to be wound down pretty quick tbh. Like 2017

I hope the next Animal Crossing is for the next-gen handheld and not 3DS. Or at least that it's cross-gen, with saves carrying over.

AC has never had 2 mainline games on one system, right? And Wii U looks unlikely at this point.

My money is on this being a controlled leak. It's just too suspect that we learn so much about upcoming Nintendo titles but almost literally nothing about the NX launch lineup and hardware. Not to mention, the format of the leak is odd (with a lot of ancillary details).

The Pokémon codename is also really meta after the rumors before X/Y, and there's been so many high profile Nintendo leaks lately.

Namco Bandai leak? "Smash 4... and other titles ;)"
Nintendo leak? "Everything you know about, obvious stuff and late localizations... and more ;)"
NX? "Zelda, of course... stay tuned for more details ;)"
Mother 3? "It's coming... or is it? ;)"

It just seems like thinly veiled hype building. With that said, I'm legit pumped for more Style Savvy so mission accomplished
Especially how tight-lipped Nintendo usually are.

GRW810

That means absolutely nothing. 0, Cero, Zip
I think you're getting confused between the rules of language and your own personal opinion. The original poster made a completely valid point that would be entirely factual in context. You downplaying the significance doesn't change that.

You not at all caring about Zelda's console status is absolutely fine, but questioning (confronting) a poster stating a potential fact is strange. It's like me pointing out the sky is rather cloudless today and you standing up like Phoenix Wright telling OBNECTION! and insisting it is worthless information.

Nightbird

I love how we are getting everything leaked except what we actually want to have leaked:

Info on what the fuck the NX is supposed to be

I love how we are getting everything leaked except what we actually want to have leaked:

This. "Zelda NX" means nothing to me until I know it's going to be the for home console level hardware. If it's for NX handheld, I'll stick with the Wii U version.

maxcriden

Nstars might be Nintendo Skylanders.

I think an amiibo game for 3DS is moderately unlikely unless the game is also for NX as others have speculated. With 3DS, the vast majority of owners don't have the ability to scan in amiibo. So that renders the game possibly meaningless to most 3DS owners.

i can't believe wiiu is dead, and still 249.99. i see wiiu being a problem for the NX, as it will compete with the NX.

I still strongly suspect that early production of Wii U systems (as in first 12 months) turned out enough that Nintendo are still working through that stock, and that - as well as their need to maximise profit on the system wherever possible - is what has kept price high.

Anyway, Wii U won't compete with NX - Nintendo will discreetly take the system out back and put it down once they've cleared their upcoming release calendar. There are unlikely to be millions in retail channels that they can't shift or that retail partners would want to return, so they can likely switch out fairly smoothly.

Ansatz

While it does indicate that the 3DS will see a successor in the near future (relative to the rumored time of the price cut), I'm not sure if it means for sure that the NX device coming out during the holidays is the handheld. If what Trev's source is saying is true, we'd have more reason to believe that the NX Console will be out the door first (at least in North America).

My source agrees with you on that.

It's not logistically feasible for Nintendo to have a steady stream of quality games ready for a console launch in 2016 if you look at their team's release schedules. Nobody is going to buy the thing for 3rd party multiplats either.

You could say the next 3D Mario is a NX console game for example, but then what will they use as a flagship title for the handheld launch? My point is the only safe bet is the NX handheld, it would be a mistake to risk it by spreading themselves thin software wise.

Akiller

Yeah , and "NX coming in 2016 and Zelda NX releasing on its launch window". Shocking leak.

However it's nice to get some Little information.

It's not logistically feasible for Nintendo to have a steady stream of quality games ready for a console launch in 2016 if you look at their team's release schedules. Nobody is going to buy the thing for 3rd party multiplats either.

You could say the next 3D Mario is a NX console game for example, but then what will they use as a flagship title for the handheld launch? My point is the only safe bet is the NX handheld, it would be a mistake to risk it by spreading themselves thin software wise.

Shared library?!

maxcriden

Wow. Nice info dump.

Will NX be backwards compatible with Wii U? That's the only thing holding me off from selling it.

Speculation in the prior NX thread pointed to Wii U BC being moderately unlikely, with the exception of VC. (Though whether VC would all be there day one or be drip fed again is anyone's guess.)

If it's a small eShop only title, it might not have any marketing cost worth noting such that it appears on this list. It'll get a spot on a direct and/or a press release and that's it. Same with BoxBoy and, presumably, Picross 3D.

I completely agree, except the only thing is that I'm not sure if Picross or RHTB+ or both will be getting a retail release. Or neither I suppose. I'm just not sure which franchise has sold better at retail in NA.

The Wii U line up for this year is most likely this:
-Zelda Wii U
-Pokken
-Star Fox Zero
-Mario and Friends Amiibo Game
-Mario & Sonic
-Pikmin 4
-Paper Mario Wii U
-#FE (NA/EU Release)
-Zelda Wii U

We might get something else (HD Remaster?) but nothing else I really expect for this year.

Based on Trev's source saying there is just one unannounced Wii U game for this year, I presume that's Paper Mario and since Pikmin 4 was never announced in any official formal capacity I suspect that will be an NX title after all, though until the Trev leaks I had expected it to be cross-platform.

Cadillac was apparently confirmed by another GAF insider to be Style Savvy. So if I had to guess, I'd say that Caviar F is Rhythm Heaven Plus.

Either way, there's really only 4 major new games from Nintendo themselves (3 if you discount Game Freak). The rest of this list is mainly late localizations & third party games picking up the slack. Clearly Nintendo's ramping up for the NX Platform.

I have the entirely same impression, except possibly about RHTB+--as I said above I do think that game could be Picross, or somehow if something was lost in a game of telephone that and/or RHTB+ could be this game and N-Stars. Though neither seems like a big budget game, it seems either they forgot to write 'unannounced' next to that one or it's somehow one of these two games or it's DQ Joker or Yokai Watch 2...and then I'm out of ideas....

Has Pikmin 4 actually been linked to Wii U at all? I think it's more likely going to be an NX exclusive at this point.

It hasn't, and I think you're right.

So a price cut on the 3DS around the time NX launches would imply that the NX is a handheld, right?

Not necessarily. They may just be cutting it to maximize sales and decrease in-store stock prior to next year's handheld launch. The lack of Wii U titles, and IMO Zelda U being ported to NX, I think makes it more likely to me that this year's NX is a console but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom