• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Ambassador - NES games are available for download... now!

MThanded said:
How long will i have to wait to get them? Are there available for purchase already?
No, they are not and probably never will be. No date on the release of GBA games for the 3DS master race yet.

Teknoman

Wow so there was a time when NA game commercials were much better than Japan. I missed a good deal of those since I was born in 85, or at least I dont remember them. The Rad Racer commercial seems familiar though.

EDIT: heh Bill O'Reilly.

Michan

AiTM said:
Any way I can download these on my 3DS, but play them on my DSi XL?
Can you play XBLA games on your OG Xbox?

I continue to laugh at those who claimed that only "0.1% of people" (quote) are stupid enough to confuse the 3DS with the DS line. There is so much brand confusion here.

Come on Nintendo, we're waiting for your pre-TGS conference. Give us a new name or logo.

I've been playing Ice Climber since I was a kid, and having played it once more today, I can admit that it's one of the worst games ever made. I liked Urban Champion more than this.

Chris R

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I haven't even found the first dungeon yet. And I made sure not to name it Zelda. (That activates the second quest, right?)
Well then, save and relaunch your game. You should have the sword (KINDA HARD TO MISS). From the starting screen go 1 screen up, 1 screen right, 3 screens up, 1 screen left and enter the first dungeon!

Teknoman

Michan said:
Can you play XBLA games on your OG Xbox?

I continue to laugh at those who claimed that only "0.1% of people" (quote) are stupid enough to confuse the 3DS with the DS line. There is so much brand confusion here.

Come on Nintendo, we're waiting for your pre-TGS conference. Give us a new name or logo.

Regardless of name, it should be obvious since it was the 3DS ambassador program, and there are no virtual console options for the DSi/XL.

rhfb said:
Well then, save and relaunch your game. You should have the sword (KINDA HARD TO MISS). From the starting screen go 1 screen up, 1 screen right, 3 screens up, 1 screen left and enter the first dungeon!
Yeah, I had the sword, lol. Thanks for the help!

sfried

The NES games are nice...but that Ambassador Certificate, couldn't it just have been a small app instead of a video with notification options? Heck it takes up a lot of space.

That said, the music...my God, why does the 3DS have such awesome system music, even for such trivial things like the Ambassador Certificate?

Boney

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
You killed Ridley before you were supposed to.
I did, but I just had to shoot missiles at it hahah think. Shot 5 and nothing happened and didn't bother with it.

Loving the game, don't even have the Varia Suit and been doing my thing.

OMG Aero

sfried said:
That said, the music...my God, why does the 3DS have such awesome system music, even for such trivial things like the Ambassador Certificate?
Nintendo are great for having awesome music for things that don't need it.
Regardless of the lack of content, Nintendo's online stores still get bonus points from me for actually having music.

Got them all downloaded ... played SMB for about 2 minutes.

Can't wait for Super Mario 3D Land.

I will be happier with the SNES/GBA games at this point. Old Nintendo games I've played so much and went through the "nostalgia" phase with them too often to want to play them on a worse control scheme than almost anything I've played them on.

Mistle

Kerrby said:
Anyone from AusGAF or EuroGAF get it yet? I can't find it.
Nope, not in Australia for me either. Odd considering it actually is the 1st of Sep, and has been for 9 hours.

I'm sure it'll get rolled out sometime today.

Boney said:
I did, but I just had to shoot missiles at it hahah think. Shot 5 and nothing happened and didn't bother with it.

Loving the game, don't even have the Varia Suit and been doing my thing.
Hey, don't mind me, I've never played Metroid!

sfried

Mistle said:
Nope, not in Australia for me either. Odd considering it actually is the 1st of Sep, and has been for 9 hours.

Did you check Your Downloads list in the eShop? I didn't get any message that they were available, but I checked it out and they were there.

Chris R

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Yeah, I had the sword, lol. Thanks for the help!
Feel free to ask for more help, but I didn't really want to post a map as that takes away from some of the exploration factor that the game has :p Others might though

jufonuk

not tag worthy
sfried said:
Did you check Your Downloads list in the eShop? I didn't get any message that they were available, but I checked it out and they were there.

how do i do this?

Mistle said:

Wait... so you are in the future...?

*sees your avatar*

Nevermind.

Javier

Already beaten the first 4 Dungeons in Zelda 1, also gotten everything important in the Overworld.

So much nostalgia and I love it.

sfried

jufonuk said:
how do i do this?
  • Go to eShop.
  • Scroll all the way to the left and choose "Settings".
  • Scroll slightly downwards to select "Your Downloads".
  • Page through the list and see your games. "Redownload" each one to your liking.
  • You can also "Redownload" your Ambassador Certificate and opt for the notification program.

Peagles

Oh god... Must. Get. Home. From. University!!!

They aren't up in NZ though yet are they? I see some Aussies don't have them yet, or is that just confusion about where to find them?

catmincer

Mistle said:

Because it is NoA we'll get it tomorrow -_-.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
sfried said:
  • Go to eShop.
  • Scroll all the way to the left and choose "Settings".
  • Scroll slightly downwards to select "Your Downloads".
  • Page through the list and see your games. "Redownload" each one to your liking.
  • You can also "Redownload" your Ambassador Certificate and opt for the notification program.

do not even have the certificate as the tool to check if you have it, has no link to it on the nintendo uk site wtf??

sfried

jufonuk said:
do not even have the certificate as the tool to check if you have it, has no link to it on the nintendo uk site wtf??
You don't need the website to check. The proof is in the pudding. Go to your eShop Settings and check Your Downloads. If it's there, it's there.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
sfried said:
You don't need the website to check. The proof is in the pudding. Go to your eShop Settings and check Your Downloads. If it's there, it's there.

it's not :( Nintendo UK, you suck....

Roto13 said:
Zelda 1 has way too much hidden stuff with no cues about where it is.
Go to GameFAQs, find yourself a world map. A lot of the oldschoolers who claim that they loved the open world exploratory aspect of it back in the day forget that they got a heap of hints from Nintendo Power.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:

I always thought that's what made 'earlier' Zelda titles great. Even up to Link's Awakening, there was just STUFF hidden, and it was never even mentioned it passing. It really made it feel like you were exploring a mystical land.

Current Zelda games have a bit of this, but there's almost always a hint about 'something might be hidden here'.. but most of the time, they'll flat out tell you what to do.

I had way more patience for that as a kid though. Nowadays, if I'm stuck in a game for an hour and it's impeding the flow of the game for me, I'll just look up a solution.

A few impressions and things I've noticed...

1. The screen is stretched horizontally to 4:3. This means it's accurate (something I figured Nintendo would do) but it also means it's a little larger than 1:1 on the horizontal scale, leading to a little blur. I hope in the final versions of these games, Nintendo will give the option to make it 1:1.

Unlike other NES emulators, it renders all 240 lines, not 224. I appreciate that.

2. Aaaargh the B/A problem again! Why can't I make it Y/X? :(

3. Select is mapped to Y. Will be useful in games where it selects useful stuff, i.e. Metroid. But of course, I'd prefer if it were maped to B... :(

4. I don't actually own any GB games on the 3DS, but from what I understand, they allow for save states that you can resume whenever you want, even in the middle of a game (i.e. if you mess up). The NES games don't have that feature. You can pause the game, though.

Roto13 said:
If you want to play Zelda 1 like a more... "modern game" then just find an overworld map on the Internet that tells you where everything is. Will help tremendously, I'm sure.

Edit: I didn't see VKS's post above, but basically, I agree with him.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Roto13 said:
Just do what we did when it first came out - systematically burning every tree, bombing every wall, and pushing anything that looks like it could be pushed.

Also, I hope some future Zelda title decides to bring back the Zelda II temple theme. Such an awesome track. At least we heard it updated in Smash Bros.

Boney

Banned
Kuramu said:
Takes 10 missiles to open purple doors
Yeah realized.

Hey this is probably to specific, but if you go left from the starting point of Ridley, you'll eventually see like a tall wall and only the space for a morph ball to pass at the top. I guess you need the ice beam to pass?

Roto13

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Go to GameFAQs, find yourself a world map. A lot of the oldschoolers who claim that they loved the open world exploratory aspect of it back in the day forget that they got a heap of hints from Nintendo Power.
I finished it once before. Can't be assed to use guides and stuff to do it a second time. It's already a notch in my Zelda headboard. :p

Roto13 said:
I finished it once before. Can't be assed to use guides and stuff to do it a second time. It's already a notch in my Zelda headboard. :p
Same here (just a few months ago, in fact), but I'm still going to refer to a map.

In Zelda 2, I'm going to hoard the end-of-dungeon auto-level-ups until the end, use a map to get through Death Mountain and generally cheese my way through the game because I'm just not going to go through all that bullshit again.

Kerrby

Banned
Mistle said:

Funny how America gets it on the 30th (I believe they got it a day ago) but it's the 1st of September in Australia and we still don't have it.

Top Bottom