• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Boots First Commercial Game

Rich!

Awwww shiiiit son

CNx2Xy_UcAA8g-T.png

Yuri K. Schlesner
Yuri K. Schlesner – ‏@yuriks

Been busy these last two days: OoT running just a few ms shy of full-speed (33ms) and almost fully CPU interp bound!

Daedardus

I don't know much about emulation development, but wouldn't sound emulation cause slowdowns before they're developed properly?

Good sound emulation is very heavy to emulate on a CPU basis and is also hard to reverse engineer. If you don't get the sound 99% right, it's in most cases useless since it won't sound pleasant to the ear. However, they could still make a branch that only contains the sound and put someone on that. The way they're progressing now makes it seems that sound can be useful within a year or so.

SirNinja

It's crazy how much progress has been made on this thing in such a relatively short time. I seem to remember it taking much longer for DS emulators like DeSmuME to get off the ground.

Nerrel

As one of the apparently few people who actually likes playing in 3D, I wonder what stereoscopic options they'll have available once the emulator is up and running. They're bound to have some pretty robust 3D support, considering that nearly all titles on the system support it natively.

I'd be happy enough to play OoT3D in HD, but playing it in HD and 3D would be amazing. If a Steam controller can be used to map in gyro aiming, it would be a completely compromise free upgrade over the actual hardware. I'd probably buy a 3D monitor just for Citra.

Rich!

As one of the apparently few people who actually likes playing in 3D, I wonder what stereoscopic options they'll have available once the emulator is up and running. They're bound to have some pretty robust 3D support, considering that nearly all titles on the system support it natively.

I'd be happy enough to play OoT3D in HD, but playing it in HD and 3D would be amazing. If a Steam controller can be used to map in gyro aiming, it would be a completely compromise free upgrade over the actual hardware. I'd probably buy a 3D monitor just for Citra.

Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time 3D played in native 1080p with 4xAA on a 3DTV with an XBone or steam controller...

It will without a doubt be the most definitive versions of those two games. Ever.

Of course, you have the issue of the second screen to deal with...but I'm sure by that point, tablet streaming or simply using a second monitor would be a decent workaround.

PsionBolt

Seeing this thread bumped always makes me happy somehow. It's like a weird little Kinder Surprise made of emulation instead of chocolate and plastic. I think "Oh, which game runs now?" or "I wonder how OoT is coming along?" and can't wait to find the answers inside, even though I know the day this'll be really usable is still far in the future.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time 3D played in native 1080p with 4xAA on a 3DTV with an XBone or steam controller...

It will without a doubt be the most definitive versions of those two games. Ever.

Of course, you have the issue of the second screen to deal with...but I'm sure by that point, tablet streaming or simply using a second monitor would be a decent workaround.

Has anyone figured out streaming a WiiU controller connected to a PC? That would be the perfect option if someone figured out how to make it happen.

udivision

Honestly, I'm not following the news about Zelda games.
Did they actually revamped the whole story and/or gameplay or something?

I'm kind of surprised you didn't assume the main difference between a remaster and the original would be Graphics/Framerate.

Especially when it comes to early emulation, I don't think anyone is even thinking about story/gameplay, ha.

Honestly, I'm not following the news about Zelda games.
Did they actually revamped the whole story and/or gameplay or something?

The visuals, menu interface, how certain items function, and some dungeons were modified to deal with common complaints.

If you don't follow the games that's fine, but please don't make assumptions or comments about things you admitted to having no knowledge about.

Personally, the sooner we crack 3DS emulation the sooner we can start work on a fan translation of Dai Gyakuten Saiban.

Rich!

Majoras Mask is also significantly changed in terms of secondary quests, saving system, certain areas, textures, framerate, models, etc

Every boss battle is also different with Twinmold being COMPLETELY different.

Daedardus

Why do people focusing more on Zelda games?
They're already playable on older consoles emulators, right?

It's also a launch title and uses the simplest techniques the 3DS SDK had to offer. It's therefore one of the easier games to emulate, so they can use it as a building block for the emulator. Once they get the base right, they probably will focus on other games.

Vuze

The visuals, menu interface, how certain items function, and some dungeons were modified to deal with common complaints.

If you don't follow the games that's fine, but please don't make assumptions or comments about things you admitted to having no knowledge about.

Personally, the sooner we crack 3DS emulation the sooner we can start work on a fan translation of Dai Gyakuten Saiban.
You could start working on it right now and will probably be finished when Citra runs it perfectly-ish :p

It's also a launch title and uses the simplest techniques the 3DS SDK had to offer. It's therefore one of the easier games to emulate, so they can use it as a building block for the emulator. Once they get the base right, they probably will focus on other games.

I see. So, it seems that the progress is quite smooth so far.
Thanks for the explanation.

Nerrel

Has anyone figured out streaming a WiiU controller connected to a PC? That would be the perfect option if someone figured out how to make it happen.

Yeah, gyro aiming and touchscreen interface completely intact would be great. The Dolphin devs have already made progress in streaming emulator content to the pad, it's definitely possible.

OoT3D, yes, but I have a lot of issues with MM3D. Even in that ideal Citra scenario, I'd probably choose the original in P64. I really, really wish I could enjoy it, because I waited so long for it and the visuals and 30fps are great, but they totally bungled some of the gameplay.

If P64 eventually gets imported textures from MM3D and a 30fps hack I'll be happy as a clam.

What are the odds of getting MHX on this thing? Seeing as it's not likely to be released in the west and I'm not likely to purchase yet another 3DS to play one game...

Slim to none, right?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What are the odds of getting MHX on this thing? Seeing as it's not likely to be released in the west and I'm not likely to purchase yet another 3DS to play one game...

Slim to none, right?

None at release.
Slim to decent within 1yr.
Decent to good within 2yr.

None at release.
Slim to decent within 1yr.
Decent to good within 2yr.
I could probably learn Japanese in that time period lol. (Capcom will probably release the western version a year later, anyway.)

Thanks for the response. If only there was no region lock...

PGamer

fucking juniors

roytheone

Man, looking at those videos it seems some games are only a few tweaks away from playable status! This thing is progressing so fast!

Top Bottom