• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Boots First Commercial Game

This high compatibility means great things when they eventually start work on a recompiler. In the long run, this is actually a good thing, they aren't trying to maintain interpreter and recompilers at the same time so are theoretically able to get updates out faster, but boy does it make the wait to play these games in full speed all the harsher.

Nerrel

Glorious. As much as I've heard that a lot of Nintendo's changes really hurt the 3DS version, I can't wait for the day Citra runs this game at fullspeed with support for arbitrary resolutions.

No amount of shitty Zora fuck-ups will diminish how great MM3D will look in 1080p with anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering. The visuals are the one thing in that remake that I totally adore.

How intensive of a pc should this require?

I know it takes while to optimize it but shouldn't it be less than dolphin if it eventually gets that kinda support?

Nyoro SF

How intensive of a pc should this require?

I know it takes while to optimize it but shouldn't it be less than dolphin if it eventually gets that kinda support?

If you check his specs:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k@3.3Ghz
GPU: AMD R9-280x 3GB GDDR5
RAM: 8GB Ram.

That's a pretty standard CPU nowadays, and 8GB is a normal standard too. His AMD card is sub-290. So I think as long as your PC is reasonably modern, when this emulator finishes in a few years, you'll be in good shape.

Vuze

Huh, ace attorney somewhat works? It's the same engine as MH games (which only blackscreened so far); I think I should grab the most advanced build and throw them at it to see if there was any progress for them in the past months
To follow up on this post: OMG MH4 plays crackling sound <3
It seems the ace attorney game in the video doesn't use geometry shaders unlike the MH games (they are still unimplemented in Citra as of now), so still blackscreen. But hey, sound :D

If you check his specs:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k@3.3Ghz
GPU: AMD R9-280x 3GB GDDR5
RAM: 8GB Ram.

That's a pretty standard CPU nowadays, and 8GB is a normal standard too. His AMD card is sub-290. So I think as long as your PC is reasonably modern, when this emulator finishes in a few years, you'll be in good shape.

We're still running this emu on interpreter aren't we? Eventually we're going to get a recompiler and those specs are going to drop pretty drastically.

Rich!

New pull request by tfarley includes a resolution scale setting (remember the 1600x960 screenshots of OoT3D a while back?): https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/1436
Branch for comfy compiling: https://github.com/tfarley/citra/tree/hw-tex-forwarding

Some footage of MK7 running with the resolution scale setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6nDJOHKZKM

oh my god I forgot about those shots

oh man. at some point I will be able to play OOT3D and MM3D in full HD on my 3DTV with a Dualshock 4 complete with gyro controls. it will be the best day ever. I mean, just look at this:

oot_3d_hd_09c8u01.jpg

Vuze

Just compiled the branch and tested it.
Works surprisingly well. Unfortunately the only decrypted game I have that actually renders properly, is still OOT3D and I lost the save from the older shots, but whatever, some 5K desktop shots with Citra window scaled appropiately :p

Nerrel

oh man. at some point I will be able to play OOT3D and MM3D in full HD on my 3DTV with a Dualshock 4 complete with gyro controls. it will be the best day ever. I mean, just look at this:

Imagine when the enhancements start rolling in. Hopefully it ends up like Dolphin with options for AA, AF, per-pixel lighting, ambient occlusion (in Ishikura), etc.

Simbabbad

Still surprised that this site has been very strict against certain websites, for example for their unreliable numbers, but the promotion of "homebrew", cards and emulators which with no doubt will lead to a rising amount of piracy is just fine.
This.

Impresive progress. Is the emulator using JIT? I assumed it was, but one of the tweets implied that it's not using JIT as of yet.

I love the "audio". PIIIIIIKACHUUUUUU

It's using a JIT recompiler for the shaders, the hardware itself is still in interpreter.

With how easy it is now for legitimate 3DS owners to dump their own games who may also want to be able to play those games with enhancements like savestates, HD resolutions, etc this is a very stupid thing to say.

I could use the shopping cart at Walmart to fill up with a bunch of things and run out the door, maybe Walmart should remove shopping carts from their stores.

nkarafo

So, what would the specs be after the emulator reaches a reasonable state?

The real question is how powerful/complex the 3DS is compared to something like PS2/Gamecube/Wii. A fairly modern i5 with a mid-tier GPU can easily emulate these systems at full speed now. I assume the 3DS should be about as complex/powerful as a Gamecube?

So can we expect the same performance at some point or is it the kind of system that you will need a "future" PC to emulate?

We should stop everything we're doing now that serves to preserve the legacy of games and making sure they will always be available, for a 5 year-old system that (seemingly) will see a successor by the end of this year/early next year.

Emulation &#8800; Piracy. Stop playing the strawman card.

I say this as someone who bought a 2DS not 2 months ago.

The real question is how powerful/complex the 3DS is compared to something like PS2/Gamecube/Wii. A fairly modern i5 with a mid-tier GPU can easily emulate these systems at full speed now. I assume the 3DS should be about as complex as a Gamecube?

So can we expect the same performance at some point or is it the kind of system that you will need a "future" PC to emulate?

The majority of the emulator is still interpreter, it actually runs slower than RCPS3 (The PS3 emulator) in a lot of games at this point because of it. I don't know anything about the whens, wheres, or hows... but I imagine they'll get to it when they're ready, or maybe even not at all.

Their main goal right now seems to be worrying about accuracy and adding new features.

nkarafo

The majority of the emulator is still interpreter, it actually runs slower than RCPS3 (The PS3 emulator) in a lot of games at this point because of it. I don't know anything about the whens, wheres, or hows... but I imagine they'll get to it when they're ready, or maybe even not at all.

Their main goal right now seems to be worrying about accuracy and adding new features.
Ok thanks for the reply. One last thing i forgot about... how many cores does the emulator use? Will you get better performance from an overclocked dual core or a stock speed quad core?

Durante

That depends on what you define as "reasonable". If you mean a state where the emulator is as efficient as, say, PPSSSPP, then any decent gaming computer will run most any 3DS game. The question is whether it will ever reach such a state.

Top Bottom