• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

First impressing after a few moments...wish the framerate was better. It not horrendous or anything, but I do wish it were just a bit higher. The game looks really good and crisp though, which I wasn't expecting. Very clean colors and lines, with a great 3D representation. Not getting and ghosting or anything. I also really like the mining aspect, though it is simple at this point. You get more materials for using weaker attacks, and you can do it quickly if you hit them in a sort of "rhythm" to help it along.

His claw break is also pretty damn cool to look at. Kind wishing for a Smash Bros reveal of him.

How does it look like? Any vids of it?

Its really simple, and I probably shouldn't have gotten excited, but I did lol. Its just him standing there kinda cool like with some enemies in front, and you pull down on the touch screen to roll through them. Then it starts.

I get excited easily in the morning :^/

Hanmik

there is a gif of it..

nzn0skvjth.gif

;o)

Alright, equipment gives you different attacks with different effects. Depending on the level of the item the attacks may be stronger or weaker. That'll surely mix the combat up I think.

Anyone going to post the credits when the game is beat? Wanna find out who made this!

I guess I'll throw my hat into the Zelda DS team assumption.

I like how he takes his hat off before he starts his roll! I'm really liking this character >.<

Anyone going to post the credits when the game is beat? Wanna find out who made this!

Honestly, my first though when I saw the game was that it looked like Zelda DS visually. I thought I was just losing it and didn't say anything though.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I just posted this before.

Although it may be using some Zelda assets. The game is apparently Nintendo x Vanpool working together.

So it could be Vanpool with Tanabe / SPD3. Or Vanpool with Aonuma / EAD3. Eitherway not a full EAD/SPD inhouse game. Still looks cool.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Goddamnit, Dillion's has NO left handed controls. Where do I get my money back?

This is bullcrap, like Kid Icarus I can't play it at all.

So what about the tower defense? Can I ignore it?

The TD mechanics seem very simple. There are a few towers on the map that you can upgrade and that's it. You don't have to worry about tower placement or anything. It's only about managing your money right and upgrading the right tower at the right time.

The technique of using weaker attacks to get more materials when mining seems to apply when getting items from enemies as well. Can't confirm it, but it seems that way so far.

DGRE

Banned
This game! A perfect evolution of the TD formula. Can't wait to get into the more complex levels but I'm already loving it.

Chopper

I don't think I understand this game! Do enemies keep moving towards the village when you're in battle mode? Am I not able to attack backwards, ie. towards the camera?!

I don't think I understand this game! Do enemies keep moving towards the village when you're in battle mode? Am I not able to attack backwards, ie. towards the camera?!

Yes, enemies continue to move when you're in battle mode. That's why you want to be very efficient when fighting.

And you can select targets by swiping the stylus left or right while you're charging your attack.

Uh huh, you just have to start your roll in the opposite direction of where you want to go. You can also change directions if you slide the stylus around before letting go.

DGRE

Banned

Yes and no you aren't able to roll backwards, as far as I can tell.

ZenaxPure

So an action/tower defense hybrid? I've oddly fallen in love with this weird sub-genre over the last year. Random question I hope someone can answer: how does this compare to something like Orcs Must Die? It seems from the talk the 2 are very similar in setup and that was one of my favorite games last year. I would gladly play something similar to it on a handheld.

Chopper

Yes, enemies continue to move when you're in battle mode. That's why you want to be very efficient when fighting.

And you can select targets by swiping the stylus left or right while you're charging your attack.

That's good news. Instructions would have been awesome.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
:0

Explain please. This is very concerning.....

You need the touch screen to swipe to go faster and use the rolling.

The controls are not able to be swapped to the right hand side at all, so basically got to use your fingers on the touch screen. Can't use the stylus.

It's not BROKEN, but its still annoying.

So an action/tower defense hybrid? I've oddly fallen in love with this weird sub-genre over the last year. Random question I hope someone can answer: how does this compare to something like Orcs Must Die? It seems from the talk the 2 are very similar in setup and that was one of my favorite games last year. I would gladly play something similar to it on a handheld.

It's a bit different and not as complex as OMD so far. There's less to micromanage and the battles have a separate battle screen. The very basic concept of tower defence mixed with action sequences is there, though.

ZenaxPure

It's a bit different and not as complex as OMD so far. There's less to micromanage and the battles have a separate battle screen. The very basic concept of tower defence mixed with action sequences is there, though.

I see... As long as the basic concept is there that is good enough for myself, I guess. I also am really digging the art style, might have to pick this up.

DGRE

Banned
I highly recommend practicing your skills in the saloon. Combat is way more involved than I first thought.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

The controls are not able to be swapped to the right hand side at all, so basically got to use your fingers on the touch screen. Can't use the stylus.

\

Well that's annoying. Hmmm... think I'm going to wait for further impressions before buying now.

mèx

Neo Member

Yeah, it's annoying, but it's not really that bad.
I'm left handed too and I'm not having problem using the right hand for the stylus, since you only have slide and tap (they are movements that don't require super precision).
Maybe at first it feels awkward, but you get used to it very soon!

Of course a left handed option would have been better.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
This game is pretty damn fun. Totally worth the asking price. I've only completed 2 of the 3 days, but I'd say the difficulty seems just right. I already almost got my ass handed to me by a Bossgrock (or whatever the big red one was called).

I'm expecting more great downloadable titles from Nintendo in the future going by their recent efforts.

Looks like the claw attack is much more effective than the AoE one. You can slash through a bunch of enemies even if they stand quite a bit away from each other.

Top Bottom