• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS: GBA Ambassador games are revealed and up in all regions

No, I believe you have the right to put the DVD in your computer, rip it to an .avi, and play it on your PSP even though your PSP doesn't have a DVD drive. Which is essentially what Dark is doing except with GBA games.

Except that there are legal ways of doing this. The PSP natively plays video files and a large number of DVDs and Blu-Rays come with Digital Copy features.

There's no legal, manufacturer-sanctioned way to rip a GBA game and the PSP doesn't play GBA games natively.

Except that there are legal ways of doing this. The PSP natively plays video files and a large number of DVDs and Blu-Rays come with Digital Copy features.

There's no legal, manufacturer-sanctioned way to rip a GBA game and the PSP doesn't play GBA games natively.

Plz post a link to the law that you're breaking by creating a backup of a GBA game you own.

Plz post a link to the law that you're breaking by creating a backup of a GBA game you own.

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Not a law, but Nintendo says its illegal, so I guess I could shoot 'em an e-mail to get more information if I need to.

Roto13

Game developers say used game sales are worse than piracy so I guess GameStop is illegal?

When they say that, they mean they're worse for the industry than piracy. They're not saying they're illegal. Maybe immoral. What that above paragraph says about ROM downloads is that they're illegal. Which they are. Backing up your copy of a game is legal, but the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people with GBA ROMs wouldn't even know how to do that.

When they say that, they mean they're worse for the industry than piracy. They're not saying they're illegal. Maybe immoral. What that above paragraph says about ROM downloads is that they're illegal. Which they are. Backing up your copy of a game is legal, but the vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people with GBA ROMs wouldn't even know how to do that.

Indeed. GBA backup devices are not exactly common, and I doubt those that own them are using them just to backup their personal library for their own personal use.

Indeed. GBA backup devices are not exactly common, and I doubt those that own them are using them just to backup their personal library for their own personal use.

EZ-Flash devices were pretty damned common indeed back when the GBA was the active handheld platform from Nintendo. Hell, you can still buy them.

Look, GAF allows discussion of DS flash carts, PS3 backup managers and such, as long as piracy is not advocated. Perfectly good threads get completely ruined by piracy flame wars on a regular basis. Fuck this noise.

I wasn't aware he paid for the license to use the games digitally on the PSP.

Edit: I wanna ask a rhetorical question here.

If I buy a DVD, do you believe I'm in my right to download a High Definition version of it from the internet? After all, I bought the movie, what's the difference?

More like, if I bought a DVD back when I had a Toshiba DVD player, should I still be able to play it when I buy a newer Sony DVD player?

I think I'm going to stay without an avatar. I'm generally as bad as Absolute Zero, almost, but nobody knows who I am. :eek:

Lol. I'd love to know why you think I'm "bad".

So you guys think they'll ever update these with a GBA border like the Game Boy releases get or is that beyond what is capable with the way these are being emulated/ported?

Bah, I laugh in the face at anyone playing GBA emulated games, legal or otherwise. The best way to play a GB/GBA game is with a legitimate Nintendo game cart on a legitimate Nintendo GBA system. Preferably GBA lite AGS-101 model. GBA micro is a close second.

Everyone else should be put in jail without a trial for heinous crimes against humanity.

Ashodin

So I've decided I want to make an Ambassador GAF community thread, but I think if I make it in Gaming side first, I can get more people to populate it before I request mods move it over.

Why do I want to make one? Because those who have Ambassador games would like tips/tricks/help with the games itself, I can outline what various things Ambassadors have gotten/will get etc,

And it's not just for the 3DS either - I plan to make it the universal Nintendo Ambassador thread, where we can talk about the Wii U once we first pick it up too (unless you aren't) - and Nintendo may not do something for the Wii U, but I'd love to see something happen anyway (just to make launch purchasers special).

What do you guys think of this idea?

I'll also provide avatar services within the thread and everything. Score!

I figure I'd do that and make a separate thread instead of this one which is just about the GBA games and features talk of piracy (whut?).

So I've decided I want to make an Ambassador GAF community thread, but I think if I make it in Gaming side first, I can get more people to populate it before I request mods move it over.

Why do I want to make one? Because those who have Ambassador games would like tips/tricks/help with the games itself, I can outline what various things Ambassadors have gotten/will get etc,

And it's not just for the 3DS either - I plan to make it the universal Nintendo Ambassador thread, where we can talk about the Wii U once we first pick it up too (unless you aren't) - and Nintendo may not do something for the Wii U, but I'd love to see something happen anyway (just to make launch purchasers special).

What do you guys think of this idea?

I'll also provide avatar services within the thread and everything. Score!

I figure I'd do that and make a separate thread instead of this one which is just about the GBA games and features talk of piracy (whut?).

Why not just a general 3DS thread? We're in dire need of one. Keep all that ambassador nonsense out of it.

Ashodin

But this thread is basically it

why would you make a new one jesus

Because

A) The title is not correct on what it is

B) Thread-awareness will go up.

But who cares, really? You really need a smug sense of superiority over the purchase of a portable game system?

Really?

No, not really. I just want to create a sense of community around the idea of buying systems early and reaping the rewards and such.

Like I said, it's just more an idea than a reality - I won't do it unless people are behind the idea.

huh. he's gone.

played some more Fusion yesterday. i really hope we get another Metroid in the original series some day. the atmosphere in fusion is so goddamn thick for a pixelly portable game.

it's a wonderful little title.

sakipon

Like I said, it's just more an idea than a reality - I won't do it unless people are behind the idea.

Personally I like your idea. It's not us who made the launch buyers special, Nintendo did by coming up with the ambassador status. And considering how much 3DS was mocked until November or so, I'd say such a thread is a nice change of pace.

Jintor

huh. he's gone.

played some more Fusion yesterday. i really hope we get another Metroid in the original series some day. the atmosphere in fusion is so goddamn thick for a pixelly portable game.

After watching a few Other M cutscenes, I get why it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of a few fans. But I personally think it's still a gem of a game.

Screw 'random bomb everything' exploration design though.

After watching a few Other M cutscenes, I get why it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of a few fans. But I personally think it's still a gem of a game.

Screw 'random bomb everything' exploration design though.

maybe it's just because i've played a lot of them but you start to get a sense of what's likely bombable and what isn't. in fusion, with the different coloured outlines around bits of the scenary, for example. bridges, and sections with statues and a bit underneath... i think it's a bit less random than your suggesting.

ruxtpin

Banned
I bought a 3DS at launch, was eligible for the ambassador games and d/l-ed the NES ones. Since then, however I've traded in my 3DS. In the future, if I get a new 3DS - would I be able to download the NES/GBA games again or no?

I bought a 3DS at launch, was eligible for the ambassador games and d/l-ed the NES ones. Since then, however I've traded in my 3DS. In the future, if I get a new 3DS - would I be able to download the NES/GBA games again or no?
No because Nintendo still doesn't have an account system where you can redownload games. Those games are tied to that 3DS and the only way you would have gotten them is if you still had it.

It's the biggest failing of their's in the digital space.

dwu8991

Banned

NO. The games are tied to the system.

If you were to buy a new 3DS, you can download the NES games only and without the restore point.

The GBA games are exclusive to ambassador owners!

Javier

Not right out of the box and you won't be able to do it on your own. You would have to phone/e-mail Nintendo Customer Service and explain your situation so they can do a transfer to your new 3DS, but you will likely need proof such as the original receipt or having registered your original 3DS on Club Nintendo.

There's no guarantee it will happen, though. Specially since you willingly sold your 3DS, as oppose as, say, have it stolen from you (in which case Nintendo will look further to your case).

ruxtpin

Banned
No because Nintendo still doesn't have an account system where you can redownload games. Those games are tied to that 3DS and the only way you would have gotten them is if you still had it.

It's the biggest failing of their's in the digital space.

the fuck. So even if I had paid for a few games on the eShop, I wouldn't be able to get them again without paying again? lame. double lame.

The GBA games are exclusive to ambassador owners!

But I was an ambassador. I just don't have the system that made me an ambassador anymore.

the fuck. So even if I had paid for a few games on the eShop, I wouldn't be able to get them again without paying again? lame. double lame.

But I was an ambassador. I just don't have the system that made me an ambassador anymore.

you sold your system. you can't get another system without paying again. thems the breaks. if you buy your new system BEFORE selling your old system you can transfer the games (and ambassador certificate) over to the new one though, so that's at least something.

sort of hurts the 'trade up' deals we used to make out on at Gamestop though.

ruxtpin

Banned
you sold your system. you can't get another system without paying again. thems the breaks. if you buy your new system BEFORE selling your old system you can transfer the games over to the new one though, so that's at least something.

sort of hurts the 'trade up' deals we used to make out on at Gamestop though.

I'm not really bothered by the fact that I won't get the ambassador games, but the fact that Nintendo doesn't let you re-download your purchased games is a joke. ah well

huh. he's gone.

I still can't decide if I would rather have a 2D Metroid title with either 3D-layered 2D sprites or polygon-based graphics. I think of the Metroidvania games on the GBA, then how they improved on the DS, and just cannot imagine how amazing such a sprite-based Metroid would look on the 3DS. I don't really know how they could use polygons without adding a degree of formula-breaking depth to the rooms, but if there is a way I guess Retro will find it.

Your ambassador status was sold too, now whoever has your system is the ambassador, which would be the main problem with convincing Nintendo to transfer you. It is also the problem with transferring purchased content once you've already sold the system, since that other 3DS will either have those games still on the system or be able to download them as many times as needed. It is the stupidest system ever, I can't believe they're really pulling this shit. I guess prices for used systems will vary greatly in the future with some having a massive accumulation of content to consider. This bizarrely reintroduces the used games market to digital content, which was supposed to be the used market killer.

M3d10n

I'm not really bothered by the fact that I won't get the ambassador games, but the fact that Nintendo doesn't let you re-download your purchased games is a joke. ah well

I know it's a valid complain, but I find it amusing that you didn't realize it before selling the system. You didn't notice it never asked you to register for anything?

ruxtpin

Banned
I know it's a valid complain, but I find it amusing that you didn't realize it before selling the system. You didn't notice it never asked you to register for anything?

I noticed that it asked me to register for the Ambassador program, but I don't actually recall the eStore process.

ruxtpin

Banned
Registering for the Ambassador games = going into the store and not necessarily doing anything.

lol - Ok. You see how well I payed attention to the whole process.

Edit: When you tell me what I had to do, I now remember doing it. But in my mind, I keep thinking I had to log-on to a website and put in my 3DS serial number to ensure that I was an ambassador, and that's how I registered.

Javier

I've never played a Kirby game.

Are they all this fucking amazing?

Fighter Kirby FTW! LOL
It should be quite telling that most people consider Amazing Mirror to be one of the series' weakest entries (although I think it's great).

Kirby's Adventure is also on the eShop as a 3D Classic. Totally worth it if you've never played it.

Most people agree the series' peak is Kirby Super Star on SNES (available on Wii VC and it also has a remake as a retail DS title).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The new Kirby for Wii is fantastic--a great return to the series' roots.

Top Bottom