• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

Kadin

I guess this was to be expected but I was kinda surprised to see that the role of the Switch doesn't, in their mind, replace the future of the 3DS since it will be portable as well. Time will tell but I'm glad that for now, there's no plans to see it go away. Obviously that product line is a huge revenue stream for them.

Do you guys see it playing out like he thinks it will?

What does the launch of Switch mean for 3DS?

Fils-Aime: 3DS has a long life in front of it. We’ve already announced games that will be launching in the first couple quarters of this year. There are a number of big games coming. And in our view, the Nintendo 3DS and the Nintendo Switch are going to live side-by-side. You’re going to be meeting different price points, you’re going to be meeting different types of consumers, you’re going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you’ve got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming. They’re going to coexist just fine. We’ve done this before, managing two different systems.

I think there’s a sense that Nintendo Switch is a portable device. It is portable. But at its heart, it’s a home console that you can take with you on the go.

Source: Wired

*3DS will be dropped hard the minute Switch pulls ahead of it. Nintendo is horrible about supporting 2 different generations of systems.

*see Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS, GBA

3DS probably has a year left. By the end of 2018, you'll start seeing a lot more "bite-sized" titles from Nintendo on Switch, alongside console-style games.

Eumi

Can people stop saying the Switch is a portable first now?

Also I hope this means that we'll get a 3ds replacement too. But I suppose that'll depend on how the Switch does.

The DS took off with the same strategy, but what if the Switch doesn't? They can't whip up a 3DS successor in a year and a half.

Opa-Pa

A year and a half at best is a long life? Sure thing, Reggie, I'm sure they'll coexist for a long while, just like the GBA and the DS.

Can people stop saying the Switch is a portable first now?

Also I hope this means that we'll get a 3ds replacement too. But I suppose that'll depend on how the Switch does.

NoA will only say what the market wants to hear lol. Call me when Nintendo's PR in Japan says it's home console first too, then I'll believe it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
*3DS will be dropped hard the minute Switch pulls ahead of it. Nintendo is horrible about supporting 2 different generations of systems.

*see Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS, GBA

I dont think thats true - 3DS will be their entry level device for a while. Also there is no 3DS BC - they arent dropping that market anytime soon.

3DS 70-200usd depending on the device. It will be a while until Switch is anywhere close to that price point. Honestly i wouldnt be suprised if we see one last 3DS Revision this year.

13ruce

Banned
Ofcourse why would he say the switch brand will replace it when pokemon came out a few months ago.

Plus they still have quite a few games and indie games coming up.

When Pokemon Stars launches 3DS is fully dead.

Rozart

Whatever you say, Reggie.

If it's true that they're not consolidating their console + handheld software then what chance does the Switch have.

Hmmm, key news one coming. I'm not sure how 'key' these will be. The big Nintendo titles going forward will be on the Switch unless they co-develop two versions which I doubt very much.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is what they always say. Microsoft and Sony said the same thing about the 360 and PS3, Nintendo said the same thing about the GBA.

Internally they have completely moved on from the 3DS, all that's left is that outsourced Pikmin spinoff and DQVIII. They will keep towing the company line until they have sold through the stock that's sitting in warehouses.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Reggie is right - I'm buying another 3ds on monday. I'm not getting a switch until holidays'17, and maybe even later.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
ronburgundy.gif

Keeping the 3DS and Switch going simultaneously defeats the entire point of the Switch because you still have two development lines and the Switch's ability to function as a handheld has done nothing but compromise its ability to work as a console with no gains elsewhere. If the Switch takes off, the 3DS will go the way of the dodo. The only way the 3DS lives is if the Switch absolutely tanks.

Hmm.

Maybe it does have a long life ahead of it?

Kneefoil

I do think it's time to move on from the 3DS, but I would like the successor to be something that fits in my pocket, unlike the Switch. Might be pointless to have two portable systems, though, even if one of them is mainly a home console.

I don't see anything of note on the release schedule after February 3rd except maybe Mario Sports Superstars by Camelot (9 whole games past the 3rd are 2017 or TBD).

Thoraxes

Well, I still have at least two more games to buy for it.

Maybe three if Atlus ever gets around to annoucing Etrian Odyssey V after they get Persona 5 out the door. Also whatever that SMT game ends up being from the website mentioning a 3DS game.

NSESN

If the switch fails they need something to rely on so they can't kill 3DS yet. If Switch sells well at launch i wouldn't be surprised they quickly kill the 3DS.
I also wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon Stars becomes multi if Switch fails.

I dont think thats true - 3DS will be their entry level device for a while. Also there is no 3DS BC - they arent dropping that market anytime soon.

3DS 70-200usd depending on the device. It will be a while until Switch is anywhere close to that price point. Honestly i wouldnt be suprised if we see one last 3DS Revision this year.

Why waste time with a 3DS revision that wouldn't sell very well instead of making a portable only Switch? If they need more 3DS sales they can just drop its price.

Top Bottom