• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not that I think the 3DS is lasting much longer, but people have been saying it's in its final year for years, yet it still keeps trucking. It'll somehow make it through 2017 with a half-decent lineup considering its successor is out.

You could have posted the same response from Reggies 3 years ago and most responses would likely have been the same regardless...that the 3DS is dead.

I dont see it happening - if i want a portable device outside of a Smartphone for kids im more likely to get them a 3DS with a gigantic libary for cheap instead of a 3times as expensive Switch.

Please buy Pokemon guys - we are totally not dropping 3DS because we have new handheld console *wink*wink

Pretty much! I'm fully expecting an E3 Pokemon Switch reveal, with a fall 2017 release. Mario and Pokemon with a possible price drop to $250 would make them super competitive. Nothing new mind you, just a Sun/Moon port or the rumoured Star version. There's no way they truly believe the 3DS has a long life ahead when they've consolidated software divisions specifically to work on one platform from now on.

pokemon-switch.png

A year and a half at best is a long life? Sure thing, Reggie, I'm sure they'll coexist for a long while, just like the GBA and the DS.

NoA will only say what the market wants to hear lol. Call me when Nintendo's PR in Japan says it's home console first too, then I'll believe it.

You mean like they did on stage at the Switch reveal?

Devilish Brain Training confirmed?
But seriously I think they do want some life to it, whether that's from more Wii U ports (rainbow curse?) or something else.
The handheld line where they sell lots of different designs and encouraging multiple systems per household is too lucrative to give up, so I think the Switch architecture will take on that handheld only form before too long, but my guess is not until late next year.

Ogodei

3DS 2017 titles are all farmed out, as far as we know. Internal (Nintendo SPD) development on 3DS was probably finished a long time agao.

But unlike other spin from Nintendo recently, this has precedent from 2004/5 and the Game Boy Advance (hell, GBA was getting stuff as meaty as Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and Zelda: Minish Cap in 2005. If 3DS gets anything nearly that substantial in 2017, i'll eat my charger cable).

Pachinko

"we are running a 2 piller environment , the GBA still has plenty of time left in it and lots of games , it will co-exist with the Nintendo DS"

The GBA was pretty much toast by 2006 ...

I mean, if you ran Nintendo of America and the best selling gaming device for the last 3 months was something you made (the 3DS, which is insanely profitable at this point just on hardware sales) would you really want to come out to the gaming press and say "yeah , the 3DS has a half dozen big titles coming in 2017 and then we won't release anything unless the switch tanks so hard that we have no choice" ? I mean no one does that.

The important thing going forward is that YOU as a consumer are aware that buying a 3DS of any kind right now means there won't be a lot of software going forward. The 3DS/Wii U multiplayer network may well end up getting shut down in 3 years even , it's a risk you run buying one. Get one for the exclusive catalog titles that are already on the thing and to own the most current pure handheld gaming console from Nintendo.

I suppose there's another facet to this too - I feel like Nintendo WILL have a portable only switch as soon as it's financially possible and technically possible (battery life, etc) to do so. Until they can do that , the 3DS thanks to it's cheapness (IE-profitability) has a reason to be on store shelves. It's presence will keep shrinking though. Just like buying an NES in 1993 , the writing is on the wall.

Game support will obviously slow down but I don't think this is a new DS-GBA situation here.
DS launch price was $150 while Switch is $300 (in competition to a $80 2DS). That's not really a pricepoint where parents will mass buy it for their kids when the new Pokémon game comes out.

Yea. I was kind of on the other side of the fence before the presentation but I don't know. The price point of Switch, the online sub, no miiverse or spotpass, I could see them genuinely keeping 3ds around or the 3ds tier of experience (maybe it gets replaced along the line for another sub $200 machine), to maintain the ultra portable casual no strings experience with osme of the more novel social methods. Are people really going to pay an online sub so their kids can go to the island and catch bugs with people online? Or do they push those users towards the 3DS.

JC Lately

DA62A460-B25D-4AC9-BD7C-2230C4D4BFB7_zpssmrxah8e.gif

He pretty much has to say this. "We're putting all our eggs in one unproven basket, so fingers crossed, lol!" doesn't inspire shareholder confidence.

lol at anyone who still thinks Pokemon is coming to the Switch this year. Sun/Moon 2, Red/Blue 2, or Diamond/Pearl remakes this year on 3DS.

Anywayz: I'm fine with that! 3DS has been my favorite system and both 3DS and NS are portable is if a game is exclsuive to one or the other it doesn't bother me. :p

VRMN

Uhm. This is what every console manufacturer says about their last gen hardware when they're launching the new generation. Microsoft said it about Xbox when moving to 360 and about 360 when moving to X1. Sony said it about PS2 when moving to PS3 and about PS3 when moving to PS4.

There are tidbits of truth to all of this, but only tidbits. It's their hollow promise to not immediately abandon people who aren't making the jump to the new platform at launch. That's what this is and it should be viewed in that context. The whole internal pitch of the Switch was unifying the two software division branches into one platform, the NX/Switch. That definitely hasn't changed (yet).

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm glad I got a chance to get an N3DS non-XL, it's a really nice and nice-looking system. One of my favourite Nintendo products ever and there's still a massive back catalogue to explore. Too bad it's the last of its kind.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think we will see Nintendo being more aggressive with the 3DS price point this year. They had to keep the price high because it was their only money maker for 2016. With the Switch out and the release of mobile games - we will see something like the 99usd new3DS bundle approaching to be the standard price.

I think it will start with 129 for the new3DS and 149 or so for the new3DS XL and new bundles. There really is no reason to drop the 3DS anytime soon, since its not really competing for the same market as the Switch price point wise.

Killing the 3DS would mean killing access to the whole 3DS libary, 3DS eShop, 3DS screens, DS BC, Miiverse (okay dont know many people who use it on 3DS lol).

DS didnt kill the GBA library because of BC, same for Wii in regard to the Cube or WiiU in regard to Wii.

If 3DS gets anything nearly that substantial in 2017, i'll eat my charger cable).
Like I said, the meatiness of what's coming out for the 3DS this year or later all depends on how you feel about waiting for localizations of a handful of arguably big (but niche) titles. The latest Bokujō Monogatari (Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns), Yokai Watch 3, Dragon Quest XI maybe if you can't get the PS4 or Switch version or want both, and who knows what else? There's a decent chance that some smaller currently planned localizations might go digital only in 2018, in my opinion.

What kind of numbers does a game have to move outside of Japan before you tuck into that charger cable, out of curiosity?

AwRy108

Um, just a heads-up, Reggie: for something to exist in the marketplace, you have to make sure retailers actually have them to sell.

I suppose there's another facet to this too - I feel like Nintendo WILL have a portable only switch as soon as it's financially possible and technically possible (battery life, etc) to do so.

It seems like technically it already is, if the analysis of the performance is correct, the SoC just needs bringing up to date with a die shrink and it'll get a good boost in battery life and reduced heat.
Financially I guess the cost will come down a bit as 16nmff becomes even more commonplace

I don't know why people think a new Nintendo handheld, that's not a version of the Switch, is going to just fall out of the sky. Developing a handheld takes 2-3 years and lots of partnerships. There are always rumors. And how would you even differentiate it in the marketplace from the Switch?

I don't know why people think a new Nintendo handheld, that's not a version of the Switch, is going to just fall out of the sky. Developing a handheld takes 2-3 years and lots of partnerships. There are always rumors. And how would you even differentiate it in the marketplace from the Switch?

The point is it wouldn't be different, it would be like the 2DS, cheap version with the title feature removed.
I guess it could support extra controllers wirelessly if you really need that 12Switch fix.

Duxxy3

If the Switch doesn't take off, they're going to need a backup plan. I don't think the Switch has a prayer of outselling the 3DS this year. It might not outsell it next year either.

Software sales won't even be close.

Nintendo needs the 3DS to prop up the Switch for a couple more years. If the Switch finds a market, and the 3DS market moves to that product - fantastic. The plan worked perfectly.

But if the Switch doesn't find a market, or if it only finds Wii U market, then Nintendo will need the 3DS again.

Roufianos

Their messaging with this system is so fucked up. I'm actually much less tempted to buy one if there's a 3DS successor coming along.

jwhit28

I don't think you do differentiate it. It will be a Switch Mini whenever it does get here (not any time soon).

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
It's just marketing. 3DS is still a pretty cheap entry point for a dedicated gaming machine, so I can see why they don't want to say it's obsolete.

It's just PR.

NimbusD

*3DS will be dropped hard the minute Switch pulls ahead of it. Nintendo is horrible about supporting 2 different generations of systems.

*see Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS, GBA

In this case they're being stupid more than usual. The switch is essentially their future. They need to throw everything behind it and they're still being stingy.

Could you imagine if Sun/Moon were releasing on Switch? It'd be a no brainer. Same for any future 3ds game. Even if they are barely unchanged portable titles. The console is a hybrid I think people would accept those games at similar prices.

Oersted

Is one of the few times where what he says is perfectly fine.

Few new titles, people will buy it for back catalogue, price point and more portability.

Some Gaffers are absurdly cynical.

I don't think you do differentiate it. It will be a Switch Mini whenever it does get her (not any time soon).
But that's still a Switch. It just won't have a docking station and some of the other accessories and will be in a slightly smaller form factor.

Tyeforce

Why are people throwing out the "third pillar" stuff? It would be a second pillar if anything, with Wii U moving out of the way now.

I was with everyone as far as the "lol third pillar bullshit" goes before the reveal. Now I think that this is gonna fall flat and Nintendo is gonna have to have a big revamp that may prevent the Switch from actually taking it's place as the legacy system of the 3DS/Wii U. I suppose it could just be a revision of the Switch ala DS Lite, but depending on how badly it does I could also see them going with something else.

Velcro Fly

Basically they are going to cobble together another year with maybe 1 or 2 quality games for the holiday and maybe a really late localization or two sent to die in 2018 to appease the totally hardcore fans and that is it. That is basically the best case scenario. Which is fine. It is way better than the Wii U got for sure.

Beartruck

The 3ds is almost 6 years old at this point. If they're serious about keeping the switch a console and having another portable alongside it they need to announce a successor yesterday.

Realistically though, all of square enix's portable devs are jumping from 3ds to Switch. We know where this is going.

Moneal

A year and a half at best is a long life? Sure thing, Reggie, I'm sure they'll coexist for a long while, just like the GBA and the DS.

NoA will only say what the market wants to hear lol. Call me when Nintendo's PR in Japan says it's home console first too, then I'll believe it.
Guess you missed the event thursday night. That is exactly how they described it right at the front, "a home gaming system".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What wrong strategy?

Not actually unifying their (and japanese third party) software output into one unique hw, being finally able to offer a solid stream of games for the entire life cycle of their own hw

Keep alive the 3ds, price positioning the Switch as a home console, still spread their teams over two console already damaged the Switch. Badly

They should have positioned the Switch to immediately push the transition from 3Ds, with a lower price point sacrificing margin to get market penetration, pitching the hw to japanese third parties as the new affordable Nintendo portable with their main portable brands on it if not at launch at least already announced (pokemon, AC, FE..) in order to see MH, L5 games on board (at least as announced projects ) immediately, to pass to the mass market the clear idea of Switch being the only (hybrid ) Nintendo hw from now on

Instead. ..They are trying to sell a different but gimped home console with few games to their Nintendo most loyal fans, probably waiting for a second moment later to cut the price, move their teams and brands from 3ds, hoping the Switch brand to not be too poisoned to attract the usual japanese portable franchise from third parties

Muzicfreq

Banned
This falls in line with how the switch is marketed.
The switch the were pressing more and more on sharing experiences and the fun while still doing home console games. The portability was shown for going to places as a family or friends and both sharing the fun.

What kind of family sharing can you do on mobile?

Also topkek at people saying the switch will for sure surpass the 3ds in sales.... Must be out of touch with reality when the 3ds has sold what? 40-60million units worldwide and the wiiu like 10-15mil?

Also coming off holiday sales obviously there little to no units in major retailers and due to how many units are out there already they can be lax on the production of them.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Not actually unifying their (and japanese third party) software output into one unique hw, being finally able to offer a solid stream of games for the entire life cycle of their own hw

Keep alive the 3ds, price positioning the Switch as a home console, still spread their teams over two console already damaged the Switch. Badly

They should have positioned the Switch to immediately push the transition from 3Ds, with a lower price point sacrificing margin to get market penetration, pitching the hw to japanese third parties as the new affordable Nintendo portable with their main portable brands on it if not at launch at least already announced (pokemon, AC, FE..) in order to see MH, L5 games on board (at least as announced projects ) immediately, to pass to the mass market the clear idea of Switch being the only (hybrid ) Nintendo hw from now on

Instead. ..They are trying to sell a different but gimped home console with few games to their Nintendo most loyal fans, probably waiting for a second moment later to cut the price, move their teams and brands from 3ds, hoping the Switch brand to not be too poisoned to attract the usual japanese portable franchise from third parties

This guy gets it.

If Nintendo isn't unifying their portable & console divisions, then I don't understand what the point of the Switch is. They should have just released a reasonably powerful set-top box for $199 that plays Nintendo games, with a standard controller and no extra gimmicks.

This is what people keep telling me they want from Nintendo.

Kathian

Banned
Called it after the line up and price were revealed. This is console games on the go. Nintendo is going to support the 3DS till it starts to lose sales.

Removing it from the debacle of the Switch. It's quite amazing that it's still selling very well after 5 years and the supposed death of handhelds.

If the Switch bombs, I would expect them to release a handheld only Switch Mini at $200 (with a different name). And they would say it's the 3DS successor.

Knurek

Nintendo's 2017 3DS lineup post-Switch release is:
- Mario Sports (Spring 2017)
- Ever Oasis (2017)
- A 2D Pikmin platformer (2017)
- It is theoretically possible that Miitopia might be localized.
- I guess theoretically Nintendo could localize Yo-kai Watch 3
... - It is possible to imagine some long-shot world where Nintendo localizes subsequent Inazuma Eleven games
... - or like Culdcept?

Among third parties, the major games forthcoming are:
- Dragon Quest XI
- Monster Hunter XX
- Lady Layton if it ends up coming out, but I doubt Nintendo will localize it.

This is not the lineup for a system that is going to coexist just fine this is the lineup for a system that has had a decent lifespan and now is being wound down.

You say that like Switch's line up is any better.
I still believe we will get Etrian 5. There's also BOXBOXBOXBOY, new SMT 3DS exclusive and... Well... Moon/Sun 2?

18-Volt

Nintendo's 2017 3DS lineup post-Switch release is:
- Mario Sports (Spring 2017)
- Ever Oasis (2017)
- A 2D Pikmin platformer (2017)
- It is theoretically possible that Miitopia might be localized.
- I guess theoretically Nintendo could localize Yo-kai Watch 3
... - It is possible to imagine some long-shot world where Nintendo localizes subsequent Inazuma Eleven games
... - or like Culdcept?

Among third parties, the major games forthcoming are:
- Dragon Quest XI
- Monster Hunter XX
- Lady Layton if it ends up coming out, but I doubt Nintendo will localize it.

This is not the lineup for a system that is going to coexist just fine this is the lineup for a system that has had a decent lifespan and now is being wound down.

This exactly what 3DS is all about. That list is in line with what have been released for 3DS so far. Monster Hunters, Mario spinoffs, DQ games, Etrian Odysseys and Level-5 games. 3DS is going to have an absolutely fantastic 2017. Now, where is my Etrian Odyssey 5 localization announcement?

Oersted

Yeah, the famous third pillar story

It is actually rather clear by his wording that 3DS is going to be the third/second pillar.

Few new titles, old games... thats it.

And Nintendo wasn't fully behind the DS and actually planned a Game Boy. Till, well, it took off.

I know, noone reads or possesses a longterm memory.

jblank83

What else can he say, "please stop buying all 3DS hardware and games immediately,"?

I don't doubt that 3DS will be in production for another year or two. I also have no doubt there will be some major releases, albeit on a declining schedule.

But the writing is on the wall for the system.

Doesn't mean I'll stop playing it. I have a ton of games left on the system. It has one of the best libraries ever, tbqh.

Top Bottom