• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

Copenap

I think most of you misinterprete what he said. He's not saying they will continue to fully support the 3ds with new games, he straight up says only few, single additions will be made to the line up but the 3ds already has a large library. So they will just continue selling the 3ds with the existing line up + what is coming in the first half of 2017. New development will mostly be on the Switch as he also clearly states.

you’re going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you’ve got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming

It's pretty clear.

Oersted

They will keep alive if the Switch ends as a fiasco. That's why they are selling Switch as home console and no a mobile device

He is basically saying "It is cheap, has many games and a few more games coming, therefore there will be demand".

Nothing more.

People make me really not wonder anymore how Trump could win, with the reading comprehension skills on display here.

I think most of you misinterprete what he said. He's not saying they will continue to fully support the 3ds with new games, he straight up says only few, single additions will be made to the line up but the 3ds already has a large library. So they will just continue selling the 3ds with the existing line up + what is coming in the first half of 2017. New development will mostly be on the Switch as he also clearly states.

Thank you. I assume most only read the title.

I would think the Switch version would sell more considering a lot of people are wanting a HD mainline pokemon game for a awhile now. Also think GameFreak wouldn't divide the user base buy putting the game on two different consoles with no way to interact with each other.

Fair answer, it implies your answer is yes but to double check, if Nintendo were to release the next Pokemon on both switch and 3ds, as an example of Nintendo mostly moving on but still putting out tent pole releases where applicable, you would still consider it that they have killed off the 3ds?

Megatron

I hope they release a new color of 3ds do. I would like a backup do in case my system breaks down the line. The so will be my preferred way to play do and 3ds titles. I do have a regular 3ds I could use if it came to that, but would prefer the bigger screen. None of the currently available version really do much for me.

This is mostly for third party developers I think. I'm sure games will still come out on it because there's a big base to sell to.

From a Nintendo perspective their focus is likely all in on switch.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Pokken was Bandai Namco and I don't think the Pokemon CEO sees outsourced titles as "we are working on them". He never did.
Why would the head of TPC not count absolutely every game under the PKMN brand as them working on 'em? TPC is a brand management thing from what I understand, they don't own any actual developers. Game Freak, Genius Sonority, Jupiter, Creatures, etc. are all independent, an obviously Bamco, KoeiTecmo, Chunsoft, etc. aren't owned by TPC either. Ya could pretty much say all of their games are "outsourced".

Oersted

This is mostly for third party developers I think. I'm sure games will still come out on it because there's a big base to sell to.

From a Nintendo perspective their focus is likely all in on switch.

Read

You’re going to be meeting different price points, you’re going to be meeting different types of consumers, you’re going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you’ve got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming.

Reggie said many crazy things in the interview, for example why no bundled game, but this is fine

Why would the head of TPC not count absolutely every game under the PKMN brand as them working on 'em? TPC is a brand management thing from what I understand, they don't own any actual developers. Game Freak, Genius Sonority, Jupiter, Creatures, etc. are all independent, an obviously Bamco, KoeiTecmo, Chunsoft, etc. aren't owned by TPC either. Ya could pretty much say all of their games are "outsourced".

Ask him, not me. My guess would be that if it isn't from Nintendo, Game Freak or Creatures, he doesn't consider it as working on them.

Otherwise it would be Pokemon titles being made.

McBryBry

good i'll just keep playing my 3DS until Nintendo put out some more games for the Switch and maybe give it a price drop. i'm not paying £340 just for Zelda lol (£280 for switch/£60 for zelda) and that doesn't even include shipping.

Price drop I can understand, but I disagree with more games. They showed plenty of games that look good, why do they need to come out all at once?

test_account

XP-39C²
5IJyYjJ.jpg

Ocby1MA.jpg

jZsJO0y.jpg

To be fair to Reggie, what was he supposed to say when posed the question? "When Switch launched we'll kill the 3DS." Switch it off so to speak 😉.

When the Switch launches it'll be the console that Nintendo focuses it's studios on, of this I have no doubt.

Raitaro

Don't believe his lies.

Actually, after seeing the trickle of games they're releasing for Switch (instead of going in guns blazing for once to make a statement that this is the system everyone - 3DS owners as well - needs to buy...) I actually kind of believe Reggie this time.

How else can they explain starting the - 6 months delayed - Switch with what essentially is a Wii U style software drought of 3-5 first party games per year after they pretty much released nothing for the last 1,5 years on Wii U, if not for some of their teams still working on 3DS titles? (Unless they are saving more game announcements for the E3 time frame, which I kind of doubt.)

Before I see a mainline Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Picross 3D, Rhythm Heaven, Mario & Luigi RPG, Pokemon etc. on Switch, I have no real reason to believe that the Switch will truly succeed the Switch in Nintendo's eyes, even if it by all accounts should.

That comes off as a stupid thing to say. Fully commit to the transition to the Switch, or don't bother making it a hybrid platform in the first place.

My point exactly, even if Reggie possibly couldn't say that in so many words technically. Their actions though, i.e. the game announcements during the Switch presentation, could and should have conveyed this message loud and clear through indirect means by showering us with both Wii U and 3DS-centric IP I feel.

This is what I thought before the presentation, but all I can wonder now that the presentation has passed is where are all those games and when are they coming?

Me as well.

That comes off as a stupid thing to say. Fully commit to the transition to the Switch, or don't bother making it a hybrid platform in the first place.

jstripes

Banned
The hing is PS4 is not expensive neither and have lots of bandai namco games.
Nintendo should not act like everyone is waiting for them.

Are you trying to compare the PS4 to the 3DS in terms of a "cheap system for kids"?

Can you hand a PS4 to your kid in the back seat of your car to keep him quiet and occupied?

Third pillar bullshit all over again.

Second pillar. Wii U is dead. They stopped making them.

Icolin

Banned
To be fair to Reggie, what was he supposed to say when posed the question? "When Switch launched we'll kill the 3DS." Switch it off so to speak 😉.

When the Switch launches it'll be the console that Nintendo focuses it's studios on, of this I have no doubt.

This is what I thought before the presentation, but all I can wonder now that the presentation has passed is where are all those games and when are they coming?

Alchemy

As long as the 3DS keeps selling it'll be there, especially until the Switch price gets low enough to compete. The thing is the 2DS being sub $99 is a big thing for portables, the Switch is way out there at $300

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This guy gets it.

If Nintendo isn't unifying their portable & console divisions, then I don't understand what the point of the Switch is. They should have just released a reasonably powerful set-top box for $199 that plays Nintendo games, with a standard controller and no extra gimmicks.

This is what people keep telling me they want from Nintendo.

Thank you ;p

Future

Not actually unifying their (and japanese third party) software output into one unique hw, being finally able to offer a solid stream of games for the entire life cycle of their own hw

Keep alive the 3ds, price positioning the Switch as a home console, still spread their teams over two console already damaged the Switch. Badly

They should have positioned the Switch to immediately push the transition from 3Ds, with a lower price point sacrificing margin to get market penetration, pitching the hw to japanese third parties as the new affordable Nintendo portable with their main portable brands on it if not at launch at least already announced (pokemon, AC, FE..) in order to see MH, L5 games on board (at least as announced projects ) immediately, to pass to the mass market the clear idea of Switch being the only (hybrid ) Nintendo hw from now on

Instead. ..They are trying to sell a different but gimped home console with few games to their Nintendo most loyal fans, probably waiting for a second moment later to cut the price, move their teams and brands from 3ds, hoping the Switch brand to not be too poisoned to attract the usual japanese portable franchise from third parties

There should literally be no more 3ds support at this point. Switch is the new portable. Switch value would increase incredibly if I knew that all mobile developers were flocking to it. Even though its capable of near console quality graphics and games, the portable formfactor should include many handheld designed games. The new Pokemons should be on this damn thing and the fact that they aren't already announced as a port is just disheartening

Executives and representatives speak strange language, and it's easy to take their words literally. I embarrassed myself when I called Reggie delusional in a WiiU holiday thread, and GAFfers corrected me.

Reggie is trying to stop consumers from abandoning 3DS prematurely. They still plan to kill it fairly soon and put full focus on Switch.

TheBear

Has there been any confirmation of where the next mainline Pokemon game will end up? If it ends up on Switch than 3DS is truly done.

Oersted

Third pillar bullshit all over again.

Nintendo DS was a third pillar, next to the home consoles and the strong Game Boy brand.

Despite revionist history on the Internet, noone saw it coming that it will as big as it turned out to be.

Nintendo 3DS will not be a third pillar. Reggie expects it to continue to sell due to low price and big games library. Thats it.

And despite many, including you, being in angry disagreement with him, I see noone argue against his point.

Which leads me to think that most people don't read more than the title.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

UberTag

You know, if Nintendo is so firm that Switch is a console first and not supposed to be viewed as a portable, why the hell did their first trailer for it have an ~80% focus on using it on the go? Did they change their plan in the last couple of months?
My rationalization is that Nintendo KNOWS that hardcore hand-held enthusiasts will pick up the Switch right out of the gates because it's better than anything that has come before (and Sony considers the Vita a legacy platform).

Whereas the Switch is clearly an underpowered option in the console space that doesn't look much different from a Wii U. So that's why they're reinforcing the system's "console" perception right now with traditional console games to get console enthusiasts who may have been let down by the Wii U or simply didn't purchase one to give it a shot.

So yeah, it's a marketing emphasis more than anything because the opportunity for growth at launch initially is with console gamers. Especially for Western audiences.

It also makes sense that the 3DS won't be kicked to the curb outright as Nintendo can't cut the legs out from their solitary low-entry price gaming platform.

Has there been any confirmation of where the next mainline Pokemon game will end up? If it ends up on Switch than 3DS is truly done.
My bet is that the Switch gets Pokemon Stars and the 3DS gets another pair of titles sometime in the future... possibly the Diamond/Pearl remakes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If/when Pokemon Stars is Switch only, we will know the 3DS is on its way out.

People still acting like Pokemon Stars is a thing after every leaker who supported the rumor were shown to be full of shit after the Switch presentation. Gamefreak usually takes around ~2 years after launch to release games for new hardware, so Pokemon Switch isn't coming until then.

Translation:

"If Switch doesn't pan out well in the first year, we'll go back to supporting 3DS until we make a Switch Lite for actual portability"

Executives and representatives speak strange language, and it's easy to take their words literally. I embarrassed myself when I called Reggie delusional in a WiiU holiday thread, and GAFfers corrected me.

Reggie is trying to stop consumers from abandoning 3DS prematurely. They still plan to kill it fairly soon and put full focus on Switch.

Haha, no it's easy not to take them seriously. In fact, I'm astounded by the number of people on here who keep taking Reggie's clear PR as fact when it makes sense not to in some cases

aadiboy

I can't see that long life extending past 2017. Hell, it's pretty much already in struggle status after a couple months into the year. 3DS dies this year.

Top Bottom