• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

After Fire Emblem Warriors, I'm positive Pokemon Stars will be cross-gen.

Nice exit strategy. It's very easy to recycle the existing assets anyway. Maybe this year we'll get another Kirby based on Triple Deluxe. And another Zelda based on ALBW.

There are 1,000 3DS titles out there that can be recycled.

Planet Robobot was last year, but I could see Rainbow Curse getting ported.

There are so many games on the 3ds that are really long and great that I haven't even touched yet. I don't have a reason to go to switch yet so that's not accurate for everyone. Dragon quest 7-8, Fire Emblem Fates, SMT4 and Apocalypse, Zelda. Games that will last the entire year if I just focus on the 3DS. Can't say that about the switch yet.

I never said everyone would be migrating over, just the few of the 60mil.

I wouldn't be surprised. Gameboy games were still being released long after the ds came out.

I support it.

This. The same song and dance for years and people still don't understand that you always get some support before eventually focusing on one platform.

_Ryo_

Do cross gen games imply that DQXI on Switch will be based on the 3DS version rather than the PS4 version, I wonder?

Arkeband

Banned
"The 3DS has a long life in front of it. We won't support any features of the New Nintendo 3DS, but we appreciate you buying it."

I thought the point was to concentrate all efforts on one system.

And that somehow means instantly dropping the 3DS? You realize that Switch getting an FE game in 2018 means they're moving onto it, right? Considering the series's had moved to the 3DS and never got a Wii U entry

"The 3DS has a long life in front of it. We won't support any features of the New Nintendo 3DS, but we appreciate you buying it."

You realize they're literally releasing a N3DS only FE game, right? It was just announced

Arkeband

Banned
You realize they're literally releasing a N3DS only FE game, right? It was just announced

I didn't realize that, that brings it up to... two games? Please, I'm so spoiled!

I'm talking about support for their other games with major framerate problems that people have resorted to using custom firmware to get around.

edit: Do you have proof that it's N3DS-exclusive? I can't find any info on this.

SerTapTap

I honestly don't know why they still bother lying about stuff like this. It's so obvious, and keeping the 3DS at full blast would actually be a major harm to the Switch since a major aspect of the appeal is "both console and handheld games on one thing".

Just admit you've got a few games left to release but not all good things last forever.

I feel like more than anything they've ever released, the Switch is being harmed by mixed messages.

I honestly don't know why they still bother lying about stuff like this. It's so obvious, and keeping the 3DS at full blast would actually be a major harm to the Switch since a major aspect of the appeal is "both console and handheld games on one thing".

Just admit you've got a few games left to release but not all good things last forever.

I feel like more than anything they've ever released, the Switch is being harmed by mixed messages.

Feels like they've been super up front and honest about things. They say they're still supporting the 3ds, that it has a life ahead of it at the price point, partly as a legacy console with a large library and partly with key releases. They've displayed that with the fire emblem announcements, and well within time for people to decide if that means they want a switch, a 3ds instead, to stick with a 3ds if they have one and so on. Their messaging might conflict with what assumptions were prior to the switch presentation but pretty consistent in what they've actually said.

I appreciate you feel differently and really just quoting you as a good contrast to my own view dude :) I feel like the switch is "Nintendos home console video games - now where you want" oppose to a catch all for their home and handheld output. Of course there will be crossover where makes sense though, eg warriors. Sometimes it'll be a game on both, some times it'll be bespoke software like echoes and next year's game, depending in the projects goals and ambitions.

Somnid

I'm fine with people being skeptical of the claim but it's surreal when people get upset when it turns out to be true. Like you don't want a Switch because of the lineup but you dislike Nintendo supporting consoles you do own. It's like some weird fetishism of new things mixed up in nonsensical ideas about project bandwidth, completely irrational.

Oh, and I personally don't believe for a second Switch can replace the 3DS as is. It's way too big and expensive. They'd need a redesign before they can phase 3DS out.

PtM

Banned
I didn't realize that, that brings it up to... two games? Please, I'm so spoiled!

I'm talking about support for their other games with major framerate problems that people have resorted to using custom firmware to get around.

edit: Do you have proof that it's N3DS-exclusive? I can't find any info on this.
It's FE Musou, not really FE.

The direct should be available on their youtube page, they specifically denoted the new 3ds and new 3ds xl (ah, I see the confusion. As Ptm mentions, he was referring to the warriors game)

Kacho

Sorry for the bump but I didn't think this needed its own thread.

Any word on why 3DS systems are sold out everywhere in the US? I know the initial reason was Pokemon + the holidays but we're well past that point now. Have they even been restocking these things after Christmas?

DrunkDan

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation but if this is true doesn't that mean that the assumption that the Switch will have many more games is wrong?

I've seen a lot of people talk about how the Switch will benefit from having potentially twice as many games because of shared development etc but if the 3DS continues then what will change? Games like Ace Attorney or Layton are currently 3DS games, and there's been talk about these types of franchises making an appearance on Switch instead - are they really going to stop making them for the 3DS?

Or are we looking at this in a similar way to the infamous 'third pillar' talk? Are we expecting Nintendo to kill the 3DS if the Switch takes off?

People seem to be confused about what Reggie's job role is. His job isn't to provide you with accurate information so that you can make a sound decision going forward. His job is to sell Nintendo products to you. If Nintendo came out with a console that left shit on your floor Reggie would be there telling you how great it is to have shit on your floor!

UberTag

People seem to be confused about what Reggie's job role is. His job isn't to provide you with accurate information so that you can make a sound decision going forward. His job is to sell Nintendo products to you. If Nintendo came out with a console that left shit on your floor Reggie would be there telling you how great it is to have shit on your floor!
I could have my own in-house garden without having to pay for manure or fertilizer.
I MUST have this floor-shitting console! Where and when can I pre-order it?

watershed

Banned
I wonder what kind of games Nintendo is still developing for the 3ds? The next wave of 1st party stuff is all kind of weird but interesting to me. There's that Oasis jprg they showed at E3, the 2d Pikmin game, maybe Miitopia for PAL and NA, and what else?

Conan-san

*3DS will be dropped hard the minute Switch pulls ahead of it. Nintendo is horrible about supporting 2 different generations of systems.

*see Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS, GBA

I know we're talking about el diablo de los videojuegos and we must judge them with God's almighty and forever burning gaze but now you're just talking out your arse.

Or did I imagine the backwards compatibility on those consoles?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't want to see a single 3DS game announced at E3. If they talk about doing cross-gen, then sure, but all hands should be on deck for making Switch games.

Something like Ever Oasis should be a Switch game.
Pokemon Stars should be a Switch game.

Announcing 3DS exclusives at this point feels like them already fucking up.

I wonder what kind of games Nintendo is still developing for the 3ds? The next wave of 1st party stuff is all kind of weird but interesting to me. There's that Oasis jprg they showed at E3, the 2d Pikmin game, maybe Miitopia for PAL and NA, and what else?
Fire Emblem Echoes
Fire Emblem Warriors
That tank game...

watershed

Banned
I don't want to see a single 3DS game announced at E3. If they talk about doing cross-gen, then sure, but all hands should be on deck for making Switch games.

Something like Ever Oasis should be a Switch game.
Pokemon Stars should be a Switch game.

Announcing 3DS exclusives at this point feels like them already fucking up.

Fire Emblem Echoes
Fire Emblem Warriors
That tank game...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the FE games. Man the 3ds still has a lot of quality software ahead of it. I wonder if Nintendo will make games cross-gen with Switch and 3ds. It would be interesting to see how that would play out.

lYe8rBR_zpspcnclhkf.jpg

Quick and dirty edit.

PtM

Banned
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation but if this is true doesn't that mean that the assumption that the Switch will have many more games is wrong?

I've seen a lot of people talk about how the Switch will benefit from having potentially twice as many games because of shared development etc but if the 3DS continues then what will change? Games like Ace Attorney or Layton are currently 3DS games, and there's been talk about these types of franchises making an appearance on Switch instead - are they really going to stop making them for the 3DS?

Or are we looking at this in a similar way to the infamous 'third pillar' talk? Are we expecting Nintendo to kill the 3DS if the Switch takes off?

I thought the point was for development to not be split.

I don't want to see Pokemon, monster hunter 3ds and nothing on switch.
Guys, I know it's called Switch, but these things don't happen instantly.
They need to grow the new system's user base and also wait for Moore's Law to be able to offer a cheaper model to parents.
They will definitely phase out 3DS support until then, and if something goes wrong, they at least have something to fall back to.
They're playing all their cards, this isn't rocket science.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
They HAVE to say it like that; I mean if Switch fails they're gonna need to put out a "real" 3DS successor.
But GBA was pulling huge numbers still, the GameBoy line was a powerhouses brand and yet they still killed both when NDS secured its success.
It can go both ways and how it pans out rests entirely on what Switch's numbers will be.

Switch Succeeds: no 3DS successor, Switch replaces it, Switch 2 planned

Switch Fails: New DS hardware comes out in 2019/2020 as a "real" portable console.

Petrae

Reggie doing his best "Tommy Flanagan: Pathological Liar" impression, I see.

We all know how this story ends. The death warrant for the 3DS is already signed, and it's been 6 years since the 3DS debuted. It's time to move on, and Nintendo is putting all of its eggs into a Switch basket. 2017 is the transition year.

It'll be interesting to see how the market at large accepts a $300 not-so-portable-and-far-less-convergent-that-kinda-doubles-as-a-console handheld after the Nintendo faithful the usual Early Adopter crowd have bought up the first wave. I think it's gonna be tough sledding after that early success. Nintendo will have to try and push other 3DS owners toward the Switch, and one method of doing that is EOLing the 3DS.

They HAVE to say it like that; I mean if Switch fails they're gonna need to put out a "real" 3DS successor.
But GBA was pulling huge numbers still, the GameBoy line was a powerhouses brand and yet they still killed both when NDS secured its success.
It can go both ways and how it pans out rests entirely on what Switch's numbers will be.

Switch Succeeds: no 3DS successor, Switch replaces it, Switch 2 planned

Switch Fails: New DS hardware comes out in 2019/2020 as a "real" portable console.

Yup.

Top Bottom