• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

Usobuko

Banned
They might have to co-exist if the increasingly conservative Japanese developers put their games on both platforms instead of Switch only. Just like with PS3 and PS4.

Axiology

lol at people taking Reggie at his word. Nobody should believe this, even with the caveat of "if the Switch isn't successful."

If the Switch isn't successful they'll put all their effort and resources into making it successful. There's no going back to the 3DS now.

240p screen in 2018? Yeah, right...

Oersted

lol at people taking Reggie at his word. Nobody should believe this, even with the caveat of "if the Switch isn't successful."

If the Switch isn't successful they'll put all their effort and resources into making it successful. There's no going back to the 3DS now.

240p screen in 2018? Yeah, right...

Like most, including me, you are presumably not capable of reading more than the threadtitle

You’re going to be meeting different price points, you’re going to be meeting different types of consumers, you’re going to have the newest, freshest content available on Nintendo Switch, you’ve got a thousand-game library available on Nintendo 3DS, plus some key new ones coming.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
C2fD_g4UkAAQL4U.png:large

He was right.

TrutaS

The more you frame the Switch as a home console, the less interesting it is to me. I'll buy the next generation console you make with Pokemon, as that will be the one you think is the portable. I still think it will end up being the Switch, and that you are just trying to get people to buy 3DS.

The more you frame the Switch as a home console, the less interesting it is to me. I'll buy the next generation console you make with Pokemon, as that will be the one you think is the portable. I still think it will end up being the Switch, and that you are just trying to get people to buy 3DS.
More like they've sold, what was it, 60 million 3DS units? And they can't ignore the software sales potential.

Aiustis

I'm a handheld enthusiast. My 3DS is my most played gaming device by far; I take it everywhere and play it every day. As of now, I'm not sold on the Switch and have no plans to buy one. I have several concerns that weren't really addressed concerning game pricing and paid online is a big deal to me.

I don't trust that Nintendo will support the 3DS for a long time, but I have a huge backlog and I've started on the Vita so I'm good.

Pappasman

The new FE games just make me even more bewildered. Everyone hyped the Switch as this all in one device, where all nintendo games would go, no more droughts because the "handheld" and "console" games are on one device. So much for that. If this is a sign of things to come then the Switch is significantly less appealing. Can't wait for Pokemon Stars on 3DS...
More like they've sold, what was it, 60 million 3DS units? And they can't ignore the software sales potential.
Sure, but when launching new hardware, you need to give a reason for people to buy it. Releasing new, great, RPGS on old hardware doesn't help that.

The thing is, there is a vocal group of Switch buyers who do not want them to coexist. They want the Switch to be both the successor to the Wii U and the 3ds. Having both styles of games would be nice.

The new FE games just make me even more bewildered. Everyone hyped the Switch as this all in one device, where all nintendo games would go, no more droughts because the "handheld" and "console" games are on one device. So much for that. If this is a sign of things to come then the Switch is significantly less appealing. Can't wait for Pokemon Stars on 3DS...

Sure, but when launching new hardware, you need to give a reason for people to buy it. Releasing new, great, RPGS on old hardware doesn't help that.

There was never going to be a scenario where Nintendo dropped the 3DS before the Switch could stand on it's own.

Mariolee

Would not be surprised if FE Switch comes out Holiday 2018 (considering they didn't even have a logo ready for it) and will use ports of the 3DS games to satiate games in the meantime throughout the beginning and middle of 2018, including a port of FE Echoes.

Richie

I don't see why they can't keep supporting the 3DS while also offering those games in the Switch. Moreso when there's apparently no issue in making FE Warriors crossgen.

Branson

Except those 60mil are going to cross over to the Switch, so that number might actually be smaller than 60mil.
There are so many games on the 3ds that are really long and great that I haven't even touched yet. I don't have a reason to go to switch yet so that's not accurate for everyone. Dragon quest 7-8, Fire Emblem Fates, SMT4 and Apocalypse, Zelda. Games that will last the entire year if I just focus on the 3DS. Can't say that about the switch yet.

Bubble

Neo Member
I hope Reggie is right about this one. I would love for the next mainline Pokemon game to come out on 3DS, so here's hoping.

Historical precedent doesn't offer us much aid for thinking about the Switch transition strategy, as it's been a good long while since we last received a Nintendo system without some form of backward compatibility to cover the late-life overlap of releases like Minish Gap and B2/W2. I expect 3DS first-party to dry up after the FE Gaiden remake and Pikmin adventure, though; even down-ports like FE Warriors are going n3DS-only and shoving the original system out of the way.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pokémon Stars show up for 3DS: Game Freak's record and the series' dependence on interoperability lean that way.

asagami_

Banned
I don't see why they can't keep supporting the 3DD while also offering those games in the Switch. Moreso when there's apparently no issue in making FE Warriors crossgen.

Actually this would say the new FE don't share the same engine from the 3DS FE, because is unavailable in Switch
yet

Mr-Joker

Banned

They did by announcing that the Switch is getting an exclusive Fire Emblem games, plus any owners of the original 3DS model will have to get either a Super 3DS or a Switch to play Fire Emblem Warriors.

Plus with Fire Emblem game being on mobile, they can attract more customers over to buy the Switch when the Fire Emblem game gets released.

aadiboy

I wonder what this bodes for Japanese sales of Switch? Japan traditionally sticks with older consoles for a long time before switching over to the next gen. They held onto PS2 and PS3 forever, and I think it was the same for the DS.

I wonder if this means Switch won't be the breakout success in Japan that everyone is expecting it to be. I mean, it's a handheld, which appeals to Japan, but there needs to be a lot more on the system to entice them to leave the handheld they already have. Especially since Nintendo will continue to support 3DS well into the Switch life cycle, apparently. Also, it's pretty obvious Pokemon Stars is coming out on 3DS as well now. Like, there's no way they're making it exclusive to the Switch if they're unwilling to leave for a smaller IP like Fire Emblem.

RK128

With the recent announcements for Fire Emblem on the 3DS (FE Echos and FE Warriors), it wouldn't shock me to see more announcements for the 3DS like Pokemon Stars and maybe another Wii U port (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE).

Nintendo isn't stupid (I think they aren't.......); the Switch might be another bomb like the Wii U, so they are still investing in the 3DS and releasing games on something they know will get a lot of sales.

Sadly this means that Nintendo lied about development teams fully investing in one platform; they are making games for the 3DS AND Nintendo Switch. I wonder how long they will be spitting resources between the 3DS and Switch though. Likely until Late 2018 I imagine.

Edit: Lies might not be a good word here, so apologize for poor word choice on my part.

sajj316

With the recent announcements for Fire Emblem on the 3DS (FE Echos and FE Warriors), it wouldn't shock me to see more announcements for the 3DS like Pokemon Stars and maybe another Wii U port (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE).

Nintendo isn't stupid (I think they aren't.......); the Switch might be another bomb like the Wii U, so they are still investing in the 3DS and releasing games on something they know will get a lot of sales.

Sadly this means that Nintendo lied about development teams fully investing in one platform; they are making games for the 3DS AND Nintendo Switch. I wonder how long they will be spitting resources between the 3DS and Switch though. Likely until Late 2018 I imagine.

I do believe that the 3DS successor will be a Switch handheld. As a result the new platform will already have a handful of games. Games primarily made for the handheld can just play fine on the Switch console.

random25

They are just simply committed to make the 3DS worthwhile in 2017, as what they have continuously communicated. And they are fully committed to the Switch. A new Fire Emblem coming out on a home system in 2018 is an example of it, as the series have never touched a home console since the Radiant series.

The Fire Emblem Warriors is a Koei Tecmo call, since they are the ones making it.

Griss

I'm a little surprised, but then again making a new FE game using the (awesome) Awakening engine should be pretty damn easy for them by now, and the series is a proven money-spinner on 3ds, especially when you take into account the DLC.

But yeah, Reggie told no lies.

RK128

They are just simply committed to make the 3DS worthwhile in 2017, as what they have continuously communicated. And they are fully committed to the Switch. A new Fire Emblem coming out on a home system in 2018 is an example of it, as the series have never touched a home console since the Radiant series.

The Fire Emblem Warriors is a Koei Tecmo call, since they are the ones making it.

That is a good point....just interesting seeing them talk about 2017 3DS games when they have other ones from third parties that could carry the year for them. Hopeful they have a good balance between 3DS and Switch games on the horizon.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member

This would explain the weak launch.

I love my 3DS, but if the Switch is going to succeed, Nintendo needs to abandon it sooner rather than later.

Doesn't make it a lie. They started developing switch games a few years ago now, that doesn't mean they had to stop making 3DS games then or now. If the ultimate goal is to develop on one platform it's something that happens over time. As it is it's getting the bare minimum of 1st party support.

ugly

Y'all need to stop taking Reggie's word. Don't you know he's just on damage control here? He's trying to make anyone with a Nintendo related interest happy. He's consoling 3ds fans while trying to sell switch as the great new thing at the same time. I wouldn't put too much credence into what he's saying here. I mean who are his words reaching other than gaffers and gaming press? Mummy and daddy aren't gonna hear this nor their children with the 3dses

I'm expecting that Nintendo will unify their development to the Switch eventually. Until then, I'd at least like ports of the new 3DS titles on the Switch. I wouldn't mind if the games didn't look super hot.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nintendo's never dropped support for a successful console immediately. GBA still had a Nintendo release or two in 2007, two years after DS launched.

3DS will get a good year or so of releases as the system winds down; That's not a show of bad faith in the Switch, it's just them wanting to capitalize on the existing 3DS market, and not establishing a reputation that they'll immediately drop a popular platform in the dust the moment the next thing comes along.

Nintendo has always been very clear about 3DS getting new titles throughout 2017.

Nintendo's never dropped support for a successful console immediately..

Except on Wii.

Personally I want to see all Nintendo games hit the Switch. That means Pokémon and Fire Emblem. Luckily Fire Emblem is confirmed for Switch. Now it's Pokémon turn. And with the upscale to HD already shown possible and all 802 Pokémon shown to have walking and running animations, I firmly believe Diamond and Pearl remakes will hit Switch with those features. Hopefully Stars too. Honestly the best way to do it is have cross launch (Switch/3DS) with cross play.

This is all coming from someone with a 3DS and no plans of buying a Switch until it has the goods.

Give me a reason to buy the Switch Nintendo!

Nintendo's never dropped support for a successful console immediately. GBA still had a Nintendo release or two in 2007, two years after DS launched.

3DS will get a good year of releases as the system winds down; That's not a show of bad faith in the Switch, it's just them wanting to capitalize on the existing 3DS market, and not establishing a reputation that they'll immediately drop a popular platform in the dust the moment the next thing comes along.

The Super Nintendo also had some games coming out after N64. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble came out only a few months after the N64 launched, and Kirby's Dream Land 3 came out way later in late 1997.

Top Bottom