• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

RowdyReverb

Do any of you have experience with 3DNUS? I was trying to use it to download a file needed to enable GBA VC on my o3DS, but the program crashed every time I tried to search for the title ID

Sillverrr

Thank you so much Koji. I hate being lazy, but coming back to this at a halfway stage feels harder than starting from scratch, and I just couldn't be arsed to figure it out for myself.

Vuze

Lets you use cheats, take screenshots, change the clock speed on n3ds (luma also does this but not on the fly like NTR) , video streaming on N3DS, and some other stuff.
You forgot the single best thing about NTR: on the fly game patches without having to rebuild/reinstall ROM/cia (for modding / fan translations).
I will love dogedev for this forever.

flowsnake

Strange, my SNES VC games now run really slowly. Happens with ALTTP from the eShop and injected ones.

Could turning on the higher clock speed in Luma cause that? Can't think of what else it could be.

Robin64

Strange, my SNES VC games now run really slowly. Happens with ALTTP from the eShop and injected ones.

Could turning on the higher clock speed in Luma cause that? Can't think of what else it could be.

Are you sure you didn't force the lower clock speed? The SNES VC games need the high clock, which is why they won't run on o3DS, and forcing the lower clock on a n3DS makes them slow too.

So just double check you haven't done that.

Or maybe there's a bug where forcing the high clock speed and an app also using it by default cancels it out and goes low clock speed? I dunno really.

flowsnake

It was because I forced the higher clock speed but without the L2 cache. I didn't realize that would affect even games that would use the N3DS hardware anyway, and I didn't know the L2 cache would be so important.

Edit: Should have done that before, too, the menus in DQ7 benefit even more from it than just the clock speed.

tm24

Alright, then just read through Plailect's guide. Any questions about which exploits to choose can generally be resolved by reading this: https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits

I'm pretty sure the exploits list is up to date.

Yeah i actually got my old New 3DS back from my ex. If i just wanted to run Retroarch/have a playable physical from of Picross 3D round 2 i would just do the ninjhax thing right? Since emulators need just userland access right?

epmode

Yeah i actually got my old New 3DS back from my ex. If i just wanted to run Retroarch/have a playable physical from of Picross 3D round 2 i would just do the ninjhax thing right? Since emulators need just userland access right?

I think you have to do more if you want to use the faster CPU clock and the additional L2 cache on the N3DS.

It's worth going the whole way. Installing retail carts onto your SD card is a game changer.

tm24

So going through the guide, the one that that confuses me is the state of my NNID. How do I get the stock 3ds NNID back on the stock after I transfer from the CFW 3DS?

epmode

So going through the guide, the one that that confuses me is the state of my NNID. How do I get the stock 3ds NNID back on the stock after I transfer from the CFW 3DS?

When the whole thing is finished and you have a newly hacked N3DS, you can just relink the NNID. Remember, you never transferred it off the stock N3DS and you never deleted it.

(Yes, Nintendo's content licensing system is batshit insane)

edit: Just remember to back up any important saves beforehand. You may wind up losing some some since a decent amount of game data can't be backed up on an unhacked system.

tm24

When the whole thing is finished and you have a newly hacked N3DS, you can just relink the NNID. Remember, you never transferred it off the stock N3DS and you never deleted it.

(Yes, Nintendo's content licensing system is batshit insane)

edit: Just remember to back up any important saves beforehand. You may wind up losing some some since a decent amount of game data can't be backed up on an unhacked system.

Yeah theres a few ill have to back up. Looks like I'll have a fun weekend project on my hands than

opoth

Banned
What's the best solution for someone with an original 3DS that's still on 9.2 and wants to be able to install a CIA (such as Terry's Wonderland) but still have an experience where the system boots into a CFW like Menuhax so that I can boot retail cartridges as well without forcing a system update?

I finally dusted off my system to play DQ7 and went through all the gyrations to update from Ninjhax 1 to 2 in order to install Menuhax. The region free launcher has worked out really well to boot newer retail cartridges but I know Ninjhax 2 shuts you out of being able to install/play CIAs - which I didn't really care about until Terry's Wonderland was a thing. I'm sure I'll care even more if NoA sleeps on DQ11 and we have to resort to a fan translation of that too somewhere down the road.

tl;dr, - 99% of my use case is retail carts but I want to bypass forced system updates and have the ability to play a couple of fan translations as well.

Joey Ravn

Banned
What's the best solution for someone with an original 3DS that's still on 9.2 and wants to be able to install a CIA (such as Terry's Wonderland) but still have an experience where the system boots into a CFW like Menuhax so that I can boot retail cartridges as well without forcing a system update?

I finally dusted off my system to play DQ7 and went through all the gyrations to update from Ninjhax 1 to 2 in order to install Menuhax. The region free launcher has worked out really well to boot newer retail cartridges but I know Ninjhax 2 shuts you out of being able to install/play CIAs - which I didn't really care about until Terry's Wonderland was a thing. I'm sure I'll care even more if NoA sleeps on DQ11 and we have to resort to a fan translation of that too somewhere down the road.

tl;dr, - 99% of my use case is retail carts but I want to bypass forced system updates and have the ability to play a couple of fan translations as well.

Install A9HL and forget about sysNAND and emuNAND. Everything is sysNAND, with the added bonuses of CFW.

Kattbuss

Yeah, once you've got CFW installed dumping saves is easy, unfortunately reliable homebrew access is pretty hard from a standing start.

I've managed to order an exploitable game in order to try setting up a save backup manager, now to wait for it to get here :)
If I do the system transfer, format the new 3ds and then relink the NNID I want, am I still able to download all the eshop games I've bought?

I've managed to order an exploitable game in order to try setting up a save backup manager, now to wait for it to get here :)
If I do the system transfer, format the new 3ds and then relink the NNID I want, am I still able to download all the eshop games I've bought?

Should be able to. Every game on the console should have been tied to the NNID when you set it up.

Teppic

It's safe to update the eshop and create a Nintendo id after doing the guide with a9lh, right?

Does anyone know a way to get Daigasso Band Brothers P to work? I can play the game, but it only has 3 songs and you can't update it or download songs.

Haven't touched my 3DS for ages, what's the most recommended CFW right now? Still Luma?

My SysNAND is still 7.10, and I'm using rxTools 2.x (forgot the exact subversion). I accessed my EmuNAND via "Nintendo DS Profile" (mset exploit 6.0, perhaps).

I'm pretty sure that I have my NAND backup, and I'm somewhat sure that I've unlinked my NAND.

I don't care about my Friend Code or NNID, so it is safe to just follow the below guide? https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-updating-from-rxtools-to-luma3ds.427735/

And oh, I would like to keep my cia savegames. How can I do that?

Sagitario

So, last week I did all the homebrew process on my old/fat 3DS (with Freakyforms) and everything went smoothly.

I'm trying to do the same with my New 3DS, but it's on 11.0.0-33U.
So, if I don't have Fieldrunners, Legends of Exidia: Works or Guitar Rock Tour on my fat 3DS, I can't install homebrew on my N3DS?

Also, the N3DS is the one I care about and has my NNID, would I be able to keep it there?

Edit: can I update the fat 3DS to the latest firmware to access online play and the eShop? I won't lose homebrew access if I did A9LH?

I have a few quick questions about the 11.1 downgrade process, if anyone would be so kind to answer them!

-The already hacked 3DS can be an o3DS, as I'm simply doing a system transfer from this 3DS to the 11.1 N3DS?
-I know basically nothing about how NNIDs work aside from them being tied to 1 system at a time. After the N3DS is downgraded, is there a way my friend can put his desired NNID on the N3DS and I can restore the NNID I used to purchase the DSiWare game onto my O3DS?

flowsnake

-The already hacked 3DS can be an o3DS, as I'm simply doing a system transfer from this 3DS to the 11.1 N3DS?

Yes.

-I know basically nothing about how NNIDs work aside from them being tied to 1 system at a time. After the N3DS is downgraded, is there a way my friend can put his desired NNID on the N3DS and I can restore the NNID I used to purchase the DSiWare game onto my O3DS?

Reading the guide (haven't done it myself) you have to call Nintendo and get them to transfer the NNID back, since there's no way to transfer n3DS -> o3DS.

Kattbuss

Should be able to. Every game on the console should have been tied to the NNID when you set it up.

Alright :)

I am now i the process of installing CFW on my old3ds #1 with a NNID I wont use. (New 3ds #2 has my main NNID)

From reading the guide there is one thing I don´t understand ( I like to be prepared). After doing a system transfer the NNID from my 3ds #1 will now be on my 3ds #2 and my main NNID is gone so I will have to format and then relink my main NNID.
After the format, the necessary files for homebrew and CFW will be gone, from where in the guide should I pick up after that? Or can I just copy the non-Nintendo folders, format and then copy them back?

Thankd for all the help thus far!

ty_hot

As this is the only 3ds thead alive (apparently), can someone help me? My analog stick/pad (however you call it) is broken so I need to replace it. I need, obviously, to open the console, but two of the screws in the back are grtting out of there, I use a screwwdriver and they "turn around thrmselves" and dont get oit of there :(

Any trick I could try?

Has that "easier" version of installing A9LH released yet? With Sun and Moon coming out soon and the demo, I'm going to need to upgrade my firmware.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Has that "easier" version of installing A9LH released yet? With Sun and Moon coming out soon and the demo, I'm going to need to upgrade my firmware.

Yep! You can look at the tutorial on the reddit, apparently it now takes less than an hour (compared to 4+ before).

hlhbk

Two questions:

Can you boost the sound of the new 3ds using CFW? Even with headphones the sound is to quiet.

I got a9lh installed and am 1 revision behind on the firmware. Is it safe to upgrade and can someone post a guide on what needs done to do so?

Two questions:

Can you boost the sound of the new 3ds using CFW? Even with headphones the sound is to quiet.

I got a9lh installed and am 1 revision behind on the firmware. Is it safe to upgrade and can someone post a guide on what needs done to do so?

If you have A9LH installed, then yes, just update literally like normal.

Does anyone here know anything about getting NTR to work on an o3DS while using Sun/Moon? It unloads it, but we need memory access for the upcoming Twitch Plays run - any help would be appreciated.

Producer

If you have A9LH installed, then yes, just update literally like normal.

Does anyone here know anything about getting NTR to work on an o3DS while using Sun/Moon? It unloads it, but we need memory access for the upcoming Twitch Plays run - any help would be appreciated.

Are you trying to stream with NTR? That feature is New 3DS exclusive.

ty_hot

As this is the only 3ds thead alive (apparently), can someone help me? My analog stick/pad (however you call it) is broken so I need to replace it. I need, obviously, to open the console, but two of the screws in the back are grtting out of there, I use a screwwdriver and they "turn around thrmselves" and dont get oit of there :(

Any trick I could try?

That's how those screws are supposed to work, they stay in place so you can't lose them.
You can just slide off the back cover

Cant slide the back if the screws are in there =|

Kattbuss

Hi again and thanks for all your help!
The New 3ds is now on CFW with my main NNID on it and the games are downloading now. Backing up the saves were no problem with the memory mapper you linked to.

System transfer and downgrading went without a hitch.
Thanks again!

RowdyReverb

Since I installed A9LH, I haven't been able to boot my old R4 3DS flashcart. I just get a black screen when I try to start it. It still works in my DS. I think it might be because I upgraded to 10.6.0 in the process of installing A9LH.
Is there a guide for downgrading firmware? The RTS site says it's compatible with 10.2, so I guess that's what I'd like to downgrade to

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Since I installed A9LH, I haven't been able to boot my old R4 3DS flashcart. I just get a black screen when I try to start it. It still works in my DS. I think it might be because I upgraded to 10.6.0 in the process of installing A9LH.
Is there a guide for downgrading firmware? The RTS site says it's compatible with 10.2, so I guess that's what I'd like to downgrade to
There's a launcher to use old DS flashcards on newer firmware. Use that instead of messing with downgrades and risking a brick.

Are you trying to stream with NTR? That feature is New 3DS exclusive.

No, just for reading memory for our on-screen overlay (dynamically showing health, party members, trainer data, etc)

We stream using a capture card and modified hardware for inputs, however NTR seems to auto-close when loading the demo up (same with Smash) probably due to the extended memory mode.

Without NTR running, we lose our overlay.

Teppic

Is It perhaps the R4 clone from this site? http://r4i-sdhc.com/downloade.asp

I just had to update the files to V1.84b on the SD card and it works on the newest firmware. I have R4i rts 3ds.

Top Bottom